• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are on your last life. What do you prefer your life counter displaying: x1 or x0?

How do you prefer your last life to be displayed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cuburt

I'd like to see this question posed as if people prefer to start a game with x3 or x2 lives.

I bet the poll goes the opposite direction.

Cuburt

No wonder people hate the concept of "lives" in Mario games, they can't seem to remember that x1 is actually their last life.

Dart

I like to think that x1 means one life left. That way I get excited when I find out a game has x0s. Also helps me be more conservative with my lives.

Eusis

I cant believe this conversation has gone on for so long lol! XD

But like I said earlier in this thread: anything times 0 is = 0.

Therefore;

1 character x1 = 1

1 character x0 = 0

Because of this, I prefer x1. Because it is your current player character times 1. I think of it mathematically.

EDIT: What everyone else said about x0 being better I also agree with though. There is no confusion. But I think there is confusion because everyone was reading it wrong.
You know, I wanted to state how crazy and inane it is to treat it as multiplication, but that actually makes the examples in the OP sort of interesting. It's Mario x 1 there, while it's DONKEY KONG BALLOON 0 there, so there does seem to be an indicator of "this is how many Marios there are" versus "this is how many continue balloons you have" for DKC, thus a logic that you have only that one Mario left while DKC actually is a consumable much like a potion or revive in an RPG.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
x1 for myself, as mentioned by some others, to me i've always read it as you have 1 chance to play this level before its game over.

or you have 693 chances to play this level before it's game over as I had on champions road the other night when I finally unlocked it in Super mario 3d world.

then 1 hour later me and my 2 friends had game over :(

x0 person myself. I think I do really prefer how I am sure that that's the last life remaining in a game.

Though, I do also wonder about the point of this in a game that saves and also keeps track of lives...

Gangxxter

I assume everyone here experienced that feeling of disappointment getting a game over despite dying with x1 life or that feeling of relief when you're given another shot despite dying with 1 life left.

I love that feeling of relief when the life counter says x0. But to be honest I think x1 is the better alternative because I always refer to it as the "life counter" and not the "extra-life counter". When you say "extra-life counter", x0 makes totally sense. I prefer the other way though.

KiteGr

x0

with most other games representing your last life as x1, it's a plesant surprise to realise that you actually have one more.

It also makes more sence.

nded

I tend to think of it like quarters in my pocket at an arcade; the second I put a quarter into a machine, I no longer consider it part of the total number of quarters in my possession. There's not much point in keeping track of something that's already spent.

You can reason all the ways you want whether x1 or x0 is right, but x0 do not let space for confusion. Thus, x0 any day of the week for me.

That lives concept is outdated for most games nowadays anyway.

I tend to think of it like quarters in my pocket at an arcade; the second I put a quarter into a machine, I no longer consider it part of the total number of quarters in my possession. There's not much point in keeping track of something that's already spent.

If an arcade machine displayed "YOU HAVE 1 CREDIT LEFT" and then you died, leaving you in front of a "GAME OVER" screen, you'd be yelling at the scam it is ha ha.

Ah, I see, so life is just an item to you?

Life? Of course not!

Extra life, yeah. Duh. They're called 1UP's and they're really handy. Small enough to keep in your pocket, easy to use, tasty. They come in lots of designs, the most popular being cute little heads.

Unfortunately, I have x0 of them on me at the moment. But hey, at least I'm not dead!

Begrudgingly, x0. At the last life, it's unambiguous. It would be nice if the life total counter paralleled the health bar (0 = minimum) but since lives are considered powerups and not a statistic, I prefer x0.

BeesEight

1x, you monsters.

x0

because I do not have any spare lives, or spare coints to "insert" to have an extra life.

If lives are represented by the coins we've spent on the arcade, then it makes sense for 1 coin = 1 life. If I put a single quarter in, my life counter should read 1x, not 0x as you must pay to play initially unless we're going to make an arbitrary distinction that your first coin gives you two lives for reasons...

Jinoru

Banned
Either.

I kinda like the added layer of challenge trying to reconcile the difference between game life systems when I switch between games.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, fuck.

x0 to me says you have no lives, full stop, you're dead.

You need a life to live, so x1.

*realises I am in the minority, runs*

hbkdx12

x0....It provides zero confusion

For all the people who prefer x1...if your playing a game for the first time, how would you even know that x1 meant that it was your last life until you actually died?

Top Bottom