• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can play my Wii games if you are bored [50 games edition]

Wii probably has my favourite game library of all Nintendo systems, just after SNES. The people who were constantly going on about it having no games or "collecting dust" either had very limited taste in games or just weren't paying attention.

Low budget, but creative and memorable Japanese games (Little King's Story, Pandora's Tower...), survival horror (Fatal Frame 2&4, Silent Hill:SH...), 2D platformers (NSMBW, DKCR...) and JRPGs (Xenoblade, Last Story...). Plus some of the best Nintendo first party games I've had the pleasure of playing. The system tickled my tastes all over, and I enjoyed it.

---

On a side note, does anyone else get annoyed when they hear the old dismissal "people just bought it for Wii Sports." The Wii actually has a pretty decent attach ratio considering its huge install base. 869 million games for almost 100 Wiis is not half bad.

Well... my words exactly!

Wii, Wiiware & VC (plus beeing the most developed homebrew console, even besting the original xbox) are such a wi(i)nning combo, it's not even funny.

Just a heads up btw, Wii Mini CAN BE BC. No, i ain't lying, see here :
18-1885-Product_Primary_Image-thumb.jpg

Alright, I still don't have a Wii U to test with, but I now have a Family edition Wii to test the 3-inch disc adapter with, and it does make GC games work. Popped in Sonic Heroes, the disc was detected normally, and the game's demo loop has been running for 30 minutes. No strange sounds from the drive or anything. It just seems to work.

And no, since I haven't rigged any controller ports into the system, I can't actually play the game. I'm tempted to add a controller port in now though.

Hopefully this successful Family edition test encourages someone with a Wii U to test a disc adapter. There's been a lot of negativity and misinformation surrounding the Family edition's ability to read GC discs since that Wii model was released, so it would be nice to find out if the Wii U's vWii mode supports GC discs before the same type of misinformation leads people to believe it's impossible when it simply hasn't been tested yet.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-isos.342993/page-3#post-4650264
Once devolution supports Classic controller you can rip, verify and play your GC games with CC (pro) even on the Wii Mini.

VC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)
Pick a gem, any gem, Retro-GAF will help you for each system.
Personal pics: Zelda Majora's Mask, Rondo of Blood, Last Blade 2

Wiiware?
http://w3.newsmax.com/newsletters/brownstein/video_cancer_prevention.cfm?promo_code=129B2-1
Personal pics: NyxQuest/Icarian, MDK2, Toki Tori, Bit. Trip Runner, And Yet It Moves, Blaster Master: Overdrive, Cave Story, Rage of the Gladiator, World of Goo, FAST Racing League, La Mulana, Art of Balance, Castlevania Rebirth, Lost Winds 1 & 2, Motoheroz, Bonsai Barber, Fluidity and many many more.
I also think they're are Wiiware demos on the wii shop channel. so you can try some :)

Timeless

Brawl plus Project M is bliss. Hoping for a Wii U eShop release of Metroid Prime Trilogy, but I don't think Nintendo knows how to get digital Wii sales working on the Wii U. Endless Ocean 2 is often overlooked. If you think this generation has been devoid of innovation and creativity, try the SCUBA simulator.

It's undeniable that the system had some unforgivable droughts, but taken on the whole it's got a very impressive library.

Kickin' Rad Tier
Another Code: R – A Journey into Lost Memories
A Boy and His Blob
Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
The House of the Dead: Overkill
Kirby's Adventure Wii
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Wii
NBA Jam
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Punch-Out!!
Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies
Sonic Colors
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wario Land: Shake It!
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Xenoblade Chronicles

Pretty Cool Tier
Boom Street
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Excite Truck
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Grand Slam Tennis
Ivy the Kiwi?
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Little King's Story
Mario Strikers Charged Football
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces

Flawed But Interesting Tier
Castlevania Judgement
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
MadWorld
Metroid Other M
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Pandora's Tower
Red Steel 2
Super Paper Mario

Never Really Got In to It But Others Seem to Like It Tier
Monster Hunter Tri

Lord Koizumi's Second Coming Tier
New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Compilation Tier
The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
Kirby's Dream Collection
Mad Dog McCree Gunslinger Pack
Metal Slug Anthology
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Neat Licensed Tier
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo
GoldenEye 007
Kamen Rider: Super Climax Heroes

Pinball Tier
Gottlieb Pinball Classics
Williams Pinball Classics

Remake Tier
Klonoa
Project Zero 2: Wii Edition
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Digital Tier
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
Excitebike World Challenge

Waiting on the Fan Translation Tier
Captain Rainbow

Disappointment of the Generation Tier
Epic Mickey
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

Still Need to Play More
Disaster: Day of Crisis
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Wow I thought Brawl was all I needed out of the Wii
I don't have enough money for this!!!

Kevtones

FF: Chocobo's Dungeon
Arc Rise Fantasia (turn off the voices)
Dragon Quest Swords
Cursed Mountain
Calling
Ju-On
Rabbids Go Home

D-e-f-

Banned
How do you know which systems have BC? Writings on the box?

I heard that Mario Kart black systems were the last ones with BC...

If the Wii on the box is vertical with a stand (with a vertical "Wii" logo under the disc slot -> BC
If it's horizontal and looks like a damn WiiU (with a horizontal "Wii" logo) -> no BC

51y0RondfnL._SX385_.jpg

= no GCN

= yes GCN!

On a side note, does anyone else get annoyed when they hear the old dismissal "people just bought it for Wii Sports." The Wii actually has a pretty decent attach ratio considering its huge install base. 869 million games for almost 100 Wiis is not half bad.

And third party games at that!

I even have more third party than first party games!

Top Bottom