• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You have $25 million to invest in a developer

Vibri

Banned
Let's just say.

Who would you go after, and why?

edit: to clarify the original question, because yes it's serious (sort of), where in games would you put the money to get a good return on the investment?

Let's include European developers, middleware companies, digital distribution companies, etc.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I would give the 15M to Sega and use the remaining 10M to make a documentary film of how they are wasting my money.

On a second thought, such film would never make that kind of money back... nevermind, bad idea.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
JackFrost2012 said:
am I looking to maximize the return on my investment, or to pay Tim Schafer to make Psychonauts 2 because that's how I roll?
Well, that's a better investment then funding Advent Rising 2. Not by much though.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'd grab up ex Looking Glass Studios and Ion Storm developers, then merge them together with Irrational Games to form the greatest developer known to man: Irrational Glass Storm. Then I'd buy the I.P.'s of Thief, Deus Ex, and System Shock and promptly make them work on the sequels.

I would be the happiest man in the world although my games would probably never make a return on my investments. :(

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Insomniac Games would be purchased and The Lost would be reworked for PS3.
I would combine this team with Iguana Studios (former Acclaim, or whatever happend to them), and if could afford it, Starbreeze and make a super independent developer.

Yea, sounds like fun.

Ponn

Banned
Do we HAVE to invest in a developer?

If you absolutely have to I would round up some fresh, energetic and talented game developers to create my own small development team and create an actual good Transformers game based on the 80's cartoon and movie. And you can play as Dinobots. I'm thinking action/rpg.

And if that did well I would roll right into a GI Joe game based on the 80's cartoon but a RTS.

Cheebs

I would throw it at EAD to force them to get on the ball and get Mario 128 done. It's been four years since SMS and Shiggy said they are still doing "tests". Ugh.

jarrod

Banned
John Harker said:
Insomniac Games would would be purchased
If Sony can't buy them, I doubt anyone else can.

John Harker said:
I would combine this team with Iguana Studios (former Acclaim, or whatever happend to them)
logo3.jpg

nubbe

I would use it to make a MegaMan X game in the spirit of X4. With high resolution sprites and tons of shit going on at the same time at the screen… Really mixing 3D effects with 2D art in a good way.
Also have loads of Anime sequences to drive the story and… yeah… Really have a scrip produced which dwells into the past, present and future of X and his mates.

And than I would use the remaining 24,7 millions on… ME

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Hell, with $25 million I'd either invest in Greg Costik's Manifesto Games or start my own development house. Or both.

That's an obscene amount of money for anything not-Halo.

John Harker

jarrod said:
If Sony can't buy them, I doubt anyone else can.

logo3.jpg

All of Iguana become Retro?

Didn't they sunder apart, and some heads move to Cali or something?

Fine, forget Insomniac then.

I'll buy Irrational Games, and force them to finish The Lost for PS3.
Plus, combined with the other developers I mentioned.
Man, I want my Dante's Inferno game.

Gio_CoD

Banned
I don't really understand the question. Are we trying to buy the company? Or are we just hoping that we'll make money off of our investment?

If the question is just "What developer would you like to own a huge stake in?" then my answer is Retro Studios. I have a feeling those guys will never release a flop.

If I'm just looking to turn a profit, I put it all in EA.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Id throw it at am2 so they can get started on saturating the us market with vf5 machines and vf.net

thorns

Banned
spend $5 million to develop 4-5 DS non-game potential killer apps and the rest on marketing the hell out of those;)

Mook1e

Ponn01 said:
And if that did well I would roll right into a GI Joe game based on the 80's cartoon but a RTS.
It's too bad Sony didn't use GI Joe for Field Commander.
Would have been Cool.

eso76

i was just thinking of this earlier today...if i was awfully rich i'd pay a bunch of programmers to develop one of my dream game concepts.
I might never sell it to the public and only have one copy of this legendary awesomest game of all times in my private collection.

Ponn

Banned
Mook1e said:
It's too bad Sony didn't use GI Joe for Field Commander.
Would have been Cool.

I really am excited for Field Commander, looks good. I'm afraid if anyone goes to use Transformers or GI joe now they will base it off the crappy new shows like Sigma Six. Honestly though I would probably save some money and but the GI joe game on the DS. RTS in my opinion don't need mind blowing graphics to be great, and I want to show some of these developers how great RTS's could be on the DS.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
* Buy out Frontier Developments for a couple of million.
* Retire David Brabham
* Spent the entirity off the rest on getting Elite IV out of the door.
* Watch as Frontier then probably dies from fiscal irresponsibility.
* Get to play Elite IV before I goddamn shuffle off this mortal coil.

Want a job Bish? :p

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Join me iapetus, we can put Blackjack and Hookers at Lave :D

(Hey! Wouldn't that mean we'd then have 50 Million to spend on the game? w0000t! :lol)

<nu>faust

i'd give to mistwalker so sakaguchi can do my dream game for me:
character designs based on amano's art (not reduced ff style sd stuff he did earlier, designs based on his trippy paintings in a ookami style prensentation), story and dialogue by neil gaiman (preferably a collection of stories based on sandman and/or american gods) , a diverse sondtrack (a collection of aphex twin, uematsu, bach,coltrane), minimalistic,emo style gameplay like ico&sotc.

Since the game will be a xbox 360 exclusive, i'll get my money back no matter how shitty sales numbers will be....and since sales numbers won't matter for me&my buddy sakaguchi , i will only allow cool ppl to play the game, the disc wil f'up the console if it detects 50 cent's game save files .

madara

Falcom, maybe even elf but I have to know more about them. I'd say old sierra properties/original teams but that would likely be quite complicated and pricey.

I would take that $25M and start 50 different 3~4 teams making 50 different brand new XBLA games for X360 throughout 2006~2008.

Hellraizah

I would invest in The Behemoth.

Hmmmmmm, after thinking about it, I would probably keep one half to give AKI to make a wrestling game with NO LICENSE that I would design. (Customizable everything, online leagues, etc...).

kammy

Banned
25 million?

I'd carry out hostile take overs of Namco, Capcom, Konami, Square and Nintendo.

BTW is it canadian dollars or US? If its canadian then i'll give Nintendo a miss.

Either way with 25 million...I could take over the industry. I wonder why no one else has tried it yet?

John Harker

kammy said:
25 million?

I'd carry out hostile take overs of Namco, Capcom, Konami, Square and Nintendo.

BTW is it canadian dollars or US? If its canadian then i'll give Nintendo a miss.

Either way with 25 million...I could take over the industry. I wonder why no one else has tried it yet?

....$25 millon is small potatoes.

Look what RARE went for...

Vibri

Banned
To clarify the original question, because yes it's serious (sort of), where in games would you put the money to get a good return on the investment?

Let's include Euro developers, middleware makers, mobile, digital distribution companies, etc.

Top Bottom