• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You have $25 million to invest in a developer

Mihail

Banned
kammy said:
25 million?

I'd carry out hostile take overs of Namco, Capcom, Konami, Square and Nintendo.

BTW is it canadian dollars or US? If its canadian then i'll give Nintendo a miss.

Either way with 25 million...I could take over the industry. I wonder why no one else has tried it yet?
I'm not one to do this, but

what

Vibri

Banned
cvkpaladin said:
Blizzard. Just put it towards a WoW expansion pack and watch the money flow. :D

Blizzard's already owned by VU right?

Investments would have to be in independent developers like (formerly) Pandemic and Bioware.

black_13

Banned
With $25 mil, I could probably form a new developer and make a single mid-budget next gen game.

But I won't if I had the money, it would go to Capcom and I would become one of the head bosses and put it all down on a forever anticipated sequal called Street Fighter 4 in 3D. Make it multiplatform and arcade perfect and put it in every arcade accross the whole world.

bjork

I do one of two things:

1) Finance a NiGHTS sequel... or even a remake with updated visuals.

2) Give the $ to whoever will make my goddamn Lumberjack Olympics and World's Strongest Man games.

Excelion

Banned
- Obsidian to give them creative freedom. High School RPG from Chris Avelonne !
- Eric Chahi and Fred Raynal: both have a project but no publisher, i would make a studio to produce their games.

both studios would die after a few years thanks to playstation gamers, but i would have some classic games to play :)

I woud give it to that Doshin the Giant/Tail of the Sun guy & Mr. Katamari.

Make something super-fucking wacky that nobody will buy but me.

Tough call, one of two things probably

1. License the Wing Commander name and get the Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge developer to create a new Wing Commander game for PC and 360. Hi-end real-time cinematics, good voice acting, pull out all the stops.

2. Hire Naughty Dog to create a PS3 platformer with the same scale and length as Jak II, only more platforming based with a whole new IP. (This is probably happening now anyway, although I doubt 25 million dollars is being spent on it.)

atomsk

Party Pooper
Atlus - keep them SMT games coming out in english

or

Amusement Vision - RELEASE SOMETHING PLEASE. MAYBE SOMETHING WITH MONKEYS

Fuck investing in someone else's company. Invest in creating your own company. 25 million is an absurd amount of money that could bankroll just about any triple A project you'd wish to make just as long as you have the right management and talent.

Mr_Furious said:
Fuck investing in someone else's company. Invest in creating your own company. 25 million is an absurd amount of money that could bankroll just about any triple A project you'd wish to make just as long as you have the right management and talent.

Yes, this is right. If you are competent, you will make a decent profit on your $, plus your new company will increase in value 4-5x, plus you'll have a franchise you can now milk for huge profits.

I would invest in fledgling licenses -- new cartoon series', toy lines, etc. I'd buy as many of those low-cost licenses as possible, wait for one or two to find a decent audience, then farm them out to budget devs. Solid gold shovelware, baby!!!

Shinobi

I'd invest in Melbourne House so they can get back to making some of the best racers on the market, which they did with Le Mans and Grand Prix Challenge.

Or I'd give my 25 mill to Yu Suzuki so he and Sega can finish off Shenmue 3.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
-Finish fucking Mario 128
-Make online SSB a hundred fold better
-Pokemon MMRPG

Kenny

I wouldn't invest in a company... I would invest in projects. Make sure that I became co-owner of the IP.

With 25 mill you could invest in two big next gen productions in two different developers. Don't take the big ones such as Pandemic or the others because they're already going towards the peak. You want someone who are on the rise. Maybe Wideload Games or Flagship Studios.

In Scandinavia you've got Starbreeze or Deadline Games who are well respected in the publishing community. IO and DICE are already tied up too much with publishers.

I don't know too much about the UK company scene these days. You've got the stable studios but what you want is an up and coming studio... Anyone?

And how does the development community look like in France? Is it still dead after the collapse in the 90's and early 2000's ?

I would find some smallish-indy devs give them lots of time and (relatively) lots of money and tell them to make the best, coolest looking, most feature rich, console only 2D game they could. 25 mil could fund such a project from The Behemoth, Eighting, Cave, Alfa System, and G-Rev. Then I'd sit back, confident in the knowledge that I just re-invigorated the shump genre for the next-generation and reintroduced it to mainstream gamers.

I'd lose every penny on the project most likely, but it would produce some neato games.

DarkYabu

9 million to Capcom for a 2D - Street Fighter 4 (HD resolution sprites) Arcade and Console
9 million to Konami for a 2D - NextGen Console Castlevania Sequel (HD resolution sprites)
7 million to Treasure for a 2D - NextGen Console Multiplayer Gunstar Heroes (HD res.....blah)

Jeff-DSA

I'd buy the Star Control IP and invest it into Blizzard for making a proper sequel to Star Control II (III is no good).

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
This is money to make money right? Three words. Eminem: The Game.

I made myself sad.

bumpkin

Is paying a developer never to make a game in a certain series ever again a valid response? That'd make things interesting. :)

demi

* IO Interactive

Freedom Fighters 2 [tenative title]

* GlyphX

Advent Rising 2 [tenative title]

* UbiSoft

Beyond Good & Evil 2 [tenative title]

* Lawyers

Sue Tim Schafer for Embezzlement [tenative title]

carlos

I'd get the technos team back together and buy the kunio/river city ransom licenses back from atlus for 2d justice... ( off topic, does anyone know if kenka bancho for ps2 was any good? it seemed like a RCR spiritual succesor)

And I also like the idea of making the game disc damage your console if it finds a 50 cent save on it :)

rusty said:
I'd get someone to make a full remake of FFVI.

Yeah, that's pretty selfish of me... :/

Hey, man your money, your dream!!

I myself would take that money and shove it right up Konami's ass as fast as possible to make a slew of high resolution 2D Castlevanias for next generation!!! Get your ass to work Iga!!!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
demi said:
* Lawyers

Sue Tim Schafer for Embezzlement [tenative title]

:lol

But I must inquire why you harbor such ill will to Psychonauts. I mean, it's like Advent Rising's half brother or something.

123rl

I'd give it to Capcom to make DMC4 even better than DMC3 (which I don't think can be done tbh).

edit - beaten to it but I'd also want them to make a "Biohazard: Lost Chapters" style compilation with all the scrapped Biohazard games that were made

Either that or I'd put it all in a paper bag and smack Greg Kasavin over the head with it for all of his bitching about the game's difficulty :D

Gazunta

I'd buy a big chunk of Krome, cancel all our other projects, and get started on TY Tactics GBA.

And fire everyone who has left the tap running on the sink next to my desk while they were making their coffee

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd buy out Quintet and get them to working on DS action RPGs or something... either that or I'll pay SEGA/Rieko Kodama to produce a Phantasy Star V cuz yes, that's how I roll...

demi

Gazunta said:
I'd buy a big chunk of Krome, cancel all our other projects, and get started on TY Tactics GBA.

And fire everyone who has left the tap running on the sink next to my desk while they were making their coffee

YOU HAVE MY SWORD

Scenario 1: Stage the abduction of Yuji Naka's loved ones, and conveniently show up on his doorstep offering to pay the $25M ransom under one condition: NIGHTS sequel, NOW.

Scenario 2: Call Open Season on people that purchased fucking 50 Cent Bulletproof and reward the high scorers with cash prizes.

Scenario 3: Booze and hookers...for my boy Jack Thompson. Really, did anyone stop to think he's just pissy because no one will invite him to Boys' Night Out? Anyway, I'll get him so wasted, every slut at that party will drop dead from second-hand alcohol poisoning.

Izzy

Banned
I'd assemble some of my favourite C64 programmers/musos, and they would only make C64 style games for the current consoles.

With such production values, the money would last for quite a while, and I'd get a lot of classics to play.

Top Bottom