• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You will be able to use PS3 sticks on PS4 for Ultra Street Fighter 4

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hmm, well I may mod by old Xbox 360 stick to PS3 and then plug that back in.

Or just buy a new one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That has nothing to do with Markman or Madcataz or even Hori. Peripheral makers have no control over that. Blame the console makers.

I'm not a company man or anything, but seeing so many people shit on Markman WHO IS EVEN THE REASON WE HAVE THE STICKS WE HAVE TODAY has been really frustrating.

He's an awesome dude who has done a lot for the community. Mad respect to him.
I wish things were more open, because in my cynical head, I feel like NetherRealm putting the driver into MKX basically forced Capcom to respond or just look like villains by comparison.

Maybe Markman was pushing the driver onto all the fighting game developers from day one, and if that's the case, then I would wholeheartedly apologize.

But why did it come down to this one guy from Naughty Dog writing a driver for Skullgirls to get this to happen? Why didn't engineers at Madcatz develop a software solution for developers to use? Or Capcom themselves? If this driver didn't exist, and if NetherRealm didn't include it in MKX - proving the viability of a "big AAA game" supporting the driver, would we all be buying the new PS4/PS3 sticks (or modding PS3 sticks with PS4 PCBs)? I don't know.

I'm glad that this whole issue has been settled, but I think it's really bad that ALL the companies involved - Sony, MadCatz, Capcom, etc - caused 2 years of confusion by not handling this in a more transparent manner.

(I still hold out hope that my G27 wheel will work in the inevitable GT7, but I suppose I'm just being greedy at this point).

Skilletor

Paging Ravidrath:

Do you know if the implementation will be closer to skullgirls (just plug and play) or like MKX (syncing to a DS4). Hopefully the former.

I wish things were more open, because in my cynical head, I feel like NetherRealm putting the driver into MKX basically forced Capcom to respond or just look like villains by comparison.

Maybe Markman was pushing the driver onto all the fighting game developers from day one, and if that's the case, then I would wholeheartedly apologize.

But why did it come down to this one guy from Naughty Dog writing a driver for Skullgirls to get this to happen? Why didn't engineers at Madcatz develop a software solution for developers to use? Or Capcom themselves? If this driver didn't exist, and if NetherRealm didn't include it in MKX - proving the viability of a "big AAA game" supporting the driver, would we all be buying the new PS4/PS3 sticks (or modding PS3 sticks with PS4 PCBs)? I don't know.

I'm glad that this whole issue has been settled, but I think it's really bad that ALL the companies involved - Sony, MadCatz, Capcom, etc - caused 2 years of confusion by not handling this in a more transparent manner.

(I still hold out hope that my G27 wheel will work in the inevitable GT7, but I suppose I'm just being greedy at this point).

I don't see why a peripheral maker has to do more than make peripherals that work as advertised. They make stuff that works on the console it's intended for.

Always funny to me that people don't mention Hori in these examples. Like Madcatz is the only company making devices from last gen that don't work on current gen.

Neoxon

They can but they lost out on people who were going to be forced to buy a new ps4 stick at full price ( I'm talking from a company making money perspective) for the players however this is awesome.
But they're sold out anyway, so now they can sell their existing stock of PS3 sticks & say "Hey, these also work on USF4, MKX, & Skullgirls on the PS4!"

Neoxon

Capcom kicking Arc System Works in the balls, well done Capcom.
Technically Lab Zero made the driver & NRS was the first to license it, Capcom just had the decency to follow suit (which they should still be commended for).

based Lab Zero. Now please develop a driver for Xbox One for KI & MKX
The whole reason we have the PS4 driver is because Skullgirls is coming to the PS4. Lab Zero sadly has no plans to release Skullgirls on the XB1 or any plans to develop on said system. Plus keep in mind that a Naughty Dog developer helped Lab Zero create the driver.

TacosNSalsa

As someone shit at fighting games can I get on OK with just my PS4 controller or is a fight stick necessary?

I never got this on PS4 but love the old games so would like to give it a go.

Smug , arguably the best Dudley in the world, plays on pad. Quite a few other high level players do as well. If you're comfortable with it you can do just fine .I would suggest at least trying a stick for a couple weeks if at all possible though.

vg260

That may be part of it, but it's also a smarter financial move to sell the actual game with support than not.

Neoxon

That may be part of it, but it's also a smarter financial move to sell the actual game with support than not.
Exactly, more people will now be encouraged to buy the game Day 1 (like myself) now that they know their old sticks will still work.

based Lab Zero. Now please develop a driver for Xbox One for KI & MKX

Technically Lab Zero made the driver & NRS was the first to license it, Capcom just had the decency to follow suit (which they should still be commended for).

The whole reason we have the PS4 driver is because Skullgirls is coming to the PS4. Lab Zero sadly has no plans to release Skullgirls on the XB1 or any plans to develop on said system. Plus keep in mind that a Naughty Dog developer helped Lab Zero create the driver.

yup good on the ND programmer to help out

SerTapTap

I don't think Xbone even allows the option, does it? With PS4 they won't allow system level USB drivers because that's how the PS3 got exploited, but they allow devs to make their own drivers, now people are just using the already made driver, simple enough. Does the Xbone allow external USB drivers per game like that? If not, it might not be possible at all to support pads like that.

Smug , arguably the best Dudley in the world, plays on pad. Quite a few other high level players do as well. If you're comfortable with it you can do just fine .I would suggest at least trying a stick for a couple weeks if at all possible though.

IMO learn the game before you try to learn stick for it. Or learn stick first, on something you already play.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't see why a peripheral maker has to do more than make peripherals that work as advertised. They make stuff that works on the console it's intended for.

Always funny to me that people don't mention Hori in these examples. Like Madcatz is the only company making devices from last gen that don't work on current gen.
Let's just say I find it "interesting" that a game franchise where Madcatz also has a direct financial stake but where the demand is perhaps questionable is the one where they are seemingly taking a proactive step in trying to ensure backwards compatibility with last gen peripherals.

I find it similarly interesting that a solution that allows your plastic guitar to be connected to a XBONE or PS4 would somehow not work with a fightstick.

Skilletor

Let's just say I find it "interesting" that a game franchise where Madcatz also has a direct financial stake but where the demand is perhaps questionable is the one where they are seemingly taking a proactive step in trying to ensure backwards compatibility with last gen peripherals.

I find it similarly interesting that a solution that allows your plastic guitar to be connected to a XBONE or PS4 would somehow not work with a fightstick.

You'd only think demand is questionable if you have not tried to buy a ps4 stick in the past six months. Also, this is not madcatz ensuring backwards compatibility. This is the developer making the port of USF4 and NRS.

Qwyjibo

Wow. This is totally unexpected but amazing.

Now I'm wondering whether I should just cancel my Hori 4 Kai order (that's kinda stuck in limbo due to no stock currently) and stick with my Qanba.

Skilletor

(I'm talking about Rock Band 4 :p)

Ah, that makes more sense.

But oh well. I'm not cynical enough to go down that rabbit hole.

This is a done deal and pretty much cements the use of the driver or something like it going forward for more games. Good for the players.

Neoxon

On that note, since I will buy a PS4 stick anyway, what's a good one I can buy right now?
The best ones are from MadCatz (all Sanwa parts, it has a PS3-PS4 toggle, & it super-easy to mod with the button that opens the inside of the stick & the dual-sided screwdriver that MadCatz gives you with the stick), but they're sold out at the moment. Hori has some of their own PS4 arcade sticks in stock, but you may want to buy some Sanwa or Semitsu buttons to replace the ones the stick comes with (based on personal experience).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, that makes more sense.

But oh well. I'm not cynical enough to go down that rabbit hole.

This is a done deal and pretty much cements the use of the driver or something like it going forward for more games. Good for the players.
Well, regardless of the circumstances, I can only hope that Arcsys is "pressured" (or encouraged) to patch this driver into GG or any other future games they release. Bonus points if Sony just offered support to fighting game developers to help defray the costs of implementing the driver in the first place. I don't get why this had to even be a thing in the first place.

Yasawas

Maybe Capcom wanted to announce it during Stunfest.

I actually posted this exact sentiment yesterday, they had been far too quiet on it with it out in a few days and Stunfest was a great opportunity.

So happy to hear that Qanba sticks work apparently, I was a wee bit concerned when I'd read the text of that blog post first time round.

Bazza

Well thank fuck for that, absolutely loved my fighting game sessions with my mates last gen but I was completely committed to skipping fighting games this gen if I had to replace my 2 sticks.

vg260

Now I'm just waiting for news on new DLC costumes. They'll probably wait a bit longer until after release of this, though, so people don't freak out about new ones not being inlcluded. Steam data base hints at least one has been in the works for some time and they do make a point to add "at the time of release" in their promo stuff when mentioning DLC.

qcf x2

Is there a fully featured/futureproof PS4 stick on the market yet? Ideally w/ sanwa parts and the share/options buttons

Drencrom

Is there anything ND doesn't do?

Seriously though, really nice work of Lab Zero and that ND programmer for making stick compatibility possible for the FGC.

vg260

Well, regardless of the circumstances, I can only hope that Arcsys is "pressured" (or encouraged) to patch this driver into GG or any other future games they release. Bonus points if Sony just offered support to fighting game developers to help defray the costs of implementing the driver in the first place. I don't get why this had to even be a thing in the first place.

Sony blocked them as a security measure.

I would love a patch for Injustice and Xrd, so no fighter is left out.

Top Bottom