• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Final Conflicts in Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
The protagonist has searched far and wide for his master's killer. He/She has battled hordes of henchmen and climbed the pagoda, leaving behind only the dying, only the defeated. They've honed their bodies, mastered new skills, and have said their goodbyes. All that stands before them now is Him/Her/It/Them: The Antagonist.

GAF, what are your favorite final conflicts in fiction?

I'll knock out a few obvious ones and a personal favorite:

Rocky vs. Drago

ivan-drago-630-75.jpg

Note: Anyone for whom you've gotta do this to prepare for is a worthy adversary:

rocky-iv-sled.jpg

Spike vs. Vicious
Solid Snake vs. Liquid Ocelot

and one of my favorites:

Eminem vs. Free World

eminem_8_mile_battle.jpg

Vanquish if old.

Zaku

Dresden vs. Nicodemus at the end of Small Favor. Butcher has stated that Nicodemus is terrified of Harry now, which actually plays out in Skin Game.

SheHateMe

Beatrix vs. Bill.

Short and to the point.

One of my friends tried to argue that it was a bit of a letdown, but I always said that the brevity of it was the greatest part of it; there was no need to fight as Beatrix had surpassed Bill, and truthfully, Bill knew it.

It just caught him off guard that Pai Mei thought higher of Beatrix than Kiddo. (Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Raiden vs Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising.

Armstrong is barely even mentioned in the whole game, and then the ending does an amazing job of introducing him, then putting together an epic final battle with him.

Tiger On The Beat. The chainsaw fight was incredible.

Also, Chance and Vukovich vs Masters at the end of To Live And Die In LA.

Aang vs. Ozai is utterly spactacular. I think Korra vs. Zaheer was on par, though. It wasn't as epic, but it was more personal and far better animated. It also didn't require a deus ex machina, which was a first for avatar BBEG battles.

For me it's a toss up between the end of the chain of dogs sequence from Deadhouse Gates by Erikson or the battle of Dumai's Well during Lord of Chaos by Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom