• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
I typically enjoy Pulido's art, but every once in a while I see something like this and have to scratch my head:

Amazing-Spider-Man-7-Pulido-Variant-1ca18.jpg

Gotta respect Felipe Smith's hustle on this one--dude is still writing a book despite an AV Club article basically scientifically and mathematically making it clear that he doesn't know how to write.

Someone please link me to this, I need a laugh today.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I typically enjoy Pulido's art, but every once in a while I see something like this and have to scratch my head:

Someone please link me to this, I need a laugh today.

620.jpg

The A.V. Club: Felipe Smith gives almost no direction in this script. Is that liberating or intimidating? [asking Trad Moore the question]

Full article is actually fascinating, and doesn't revolve around Felipe's bullshit really.

Also, I really love that Pulido Spider-man and Ms. Marvel joint you posted.

I'd prefer that over him having Ghost Rider sitting around a table talking for pages or some shit. But ultimately i think i'd rather read a different book
this looks like a bad fan art, damn

Owzers

I really don't like indie games and i don't care if that's racist. I decided to check out Secret Ponchos after being done with Dragon Age 3 and it's a fantastic searching for players simulator.

JEKKI

I just finished reading Dead Boy Detectives #12.

wait... that was the end of the series? That's it?

12 issues and I have no idea what any of it was about lol

thank you JC, i was starting to question whether i really liked Pulido. Those pages are still killer. I do prefer Hollingsworth over the Euro-style colors of Shulk tho

Vyer

Happy New Year, ComicsGAF. It's still 2014 right? My top, uh, 7 I guess with some others:

Manifest Destiny
Lewis and Clark go on an expedition…. And everything goes to hell. An adventure book and monster movie mix. Creepy, gross, tense, funny and dark, sometimes all at once. I especially appreciate that L&C’s shady crew don’t just exist as monster fodder from issue to issue (though it’s fun as hell when they are that too). I also sometimes really dig Owen Gieni’s coloring in this book.

Grayson
Insert Dick joke here. Seely’s doing wonders here. Taking established characters out of their comfort zone and pulling it off is exactly the kind of thing DC needs from time to time.

Sex Criminals
Fraction and Zdarsky are having a blast here and it shows. It would be easy to just put together a raunchy book with adolescent humor and call it a day, but SC has heart and solid characters. And also adolescent humor.

Southern Bastards
I live in the ‘South’, but maybe not quite this South, but I know enough to appreciate the little touches thrown in here. Someone mentioned that this is much like Scalped and that’s true. This is Aaron at the height of his powers. At times the complexity of his characters is top notch. I mean, he made me feel bad for that son of a bitch Boss FFS. Combined with, uh, that other story point and this is probably the series I’m most excited to see where it goes.

Zero
I can’t think of many comics as good as Zero at saying so much in so few words. That’s a good thing. I am never really sure where Kot is going with each issue is going to go but I know it’s going to be great getting there. The jumps in artists throws me a bit but damn if it doesn’t usually work out in the end. Great read from top to bottom.

Batman
I love in comics when a creative team gets to work on a character they obviously really love. Sometimes that turns out pretty badly *coughKevinSmithcough* but other times it’s pretty damn great. Snyder, Capullo and crew hit way more than they miss, and I appreciate how hard it is to make a real mark on the history of an established character like Bats. Much respect to pulling that off. It’s also pretty clear that – holy shit – Snyder thinks a LOT about Batman.

Moon Knight
I’m not going to lie: in general I couldn’t care less about Moon Knight. But Ellis/Shalvey’s six issues here are a work of art. Like concentrated doses of comics goodness with all the bullshit stripped out, pumped straight into your brain. I wish I could see Shalvey’s clean white field of Moon Knight’s cape soaring across a night sky or plunging into blood soaked violence every month. Forever.

Honorable Mentions:
Multiversity: Pax issue alone deserves some sort of special award, but I still want to see how the whole thing comes together.
New Avengers: Hickman’s epic storylines are great, and the incursions lead to all sorts of interesting questions and discussions involving superheroes and their representations in comics, but honestly I’m almost just as impressed that in this MCU age that Marvel’s even letting this thing run. Going from Avengers The Movie to seeing all his favorite superheroes being real assholes is going to scar little Bobby for life.
Red Lanterns: The only really good Green Lantern book left.
Deadly Class: I was underwhelmed by the first issue, then hooked with the next couple, and now I’m kinda back to underwhelmed again. There’s a lot of good in here, and I have faith it’s going somewhere great, I just hope we don’t need another drug addled road trip to find it.
Thor: I was really excited when I started reading the new Thor and Captain America runs, because they were both excellent. Cap got back from Dimension Z and went to Dimension Bland, but Thor has held up its end of the bargain. So far the ‘new’ Thor has been just as entertaining. In Aaron I trust.
Saga: Yeah, the story may move a little slowly at times, but I still think the payoffs are worth it. I imagine re-reading this collected will be excellent.
Batman and Robin: I was a bit concerned when Tomasi’s Batman went a little too batshit crazy after Damian’s death, but it led to Batman and Frankenstein team up and some shots of Batman on Apokolips that deserve to be framed and put on every wall, so it’s all good.
Hawkeye: Awarded as much for its impressive scheduling as its story and art.

Lol alright. Terrible and atrocious are pretty harsh words. I'm not saying he's complete trash he's alright. But I don't think I've ever seen a body of his and thought "yeah that looks natural" or a face and thought "Man I totally understood the emotion he's trying to convey."

fIMFtEX.png

It just seems like he's barely holding on, straddling that line of minimalism that someone like Marcos Martin is able to cross and fucking KILL it on.
speaking of which where the fuck is the Private Eye love :(

:/ guess I'm in the minority

Edit: .....or am I?

kmfdmpig

I read Umbrella Academy on a long plane ride.
I liked it quite a bit. Has there been any talk about whether Gerard Way will write more comics in the future?

Yo Filthy Slug, did you ever post your year's best list?

Yeah, it looked something like this

1. All-New Ghost Rider
2. All-New Ghost Rider
3. All-New Ghost Rider
4. All-New Ghost Rider
5. She-Hulk

I read Umbrella Academy on a long plane ride.
I liked it quite a bit. Has there been any talk about whether Gerard Way will write more comics in the future?

He still does sometimes. He did a mini called True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys which had a good start but i never did read the whole thing. Becky Cloonan art, so it was probably at least great to look at. He also did Edge of the Spider-Verse #5 this year

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Happy new year gaf...from work lol. God bless giant ass smartphones. If you told me 1 month ago I would start 2015 reading comics I would call you a liar.

Edit: adding this new Ghost Rider to the queue

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo Filthy Slug, did you ever post your year's best list?

Yeah, it looked something like this

1. All-New Ghost Rider
2. All-New Ghost Rider
3. All-New Ghost Rider
4. All-New Ghost Rider
5. Harley Quinn

I've been stupidly busy (lazy) and haven't posted the list yet. It's comin' though! Also, Serp pretty much got it, so I'll just expound on why I love Ghost Rider in my List Post.

Happy new year gaf...from work lol. God bless giant ass smartphones. If you told me 1 month ago I would start 2015 reading comics I would call you a liar.

Edit: adding this new Ghost Rider to the queue

Yo, did we just... sell you on Ghost Rider?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've been stupidly busy (lazy) and haven't posted the list yet. It's comin' though! Also, Serp pretty much got it, so I'll just expound on why I love Ghost Rider in my List Post.

Yo, did we just... sell you on Ghost Rider?

Doesn't take much to sell me on something, I'm pretty much reading all you guys suggest / talk about (that is on MU)

Are you saying it's bad?

Speaking of MU it keeps suggesting this new all female X-Force, how is it? I love the cast at least

Pulido gave Spider-Man that godlike winter outfit

Amazing_Spider_Man_615_009.jpg

Amazing_Spider_Man_615_010.jpg

Amazing_Spider_Man_615_011.jpg

love the panel of him just straight standing on the ceiling, one of those cool things you can do with Spider-Man to make these kind of exposition/set-up scenes visually interesting

ah, that's dope. them legwarmers!

Doesn't take much to sell me on something, I'm pretty much reading all you guys suggest / talk about (that is on MU)

Are you saying it's bad?

Speaking of MU it keeps suggesting this new all female X-Force, how is it? I love the cast at least

With All New GR, the art is very cool and the writing is very not cool. Give it a shot, though

I'm so disappointed with Constantine's New 52. Am I supposed to read a bunch of Cape comics so I know what's going down with my favorite swindling magician? I loved Hellblazer to death and I really miss it now.

Plus the Cult of the Cold Flame plot line is basically distilled garbage.

Rhaknar

X-statix is not on MU. This is a bad way to start 2015 :(

SRG01

I didn't read it that way at all.
Fitz just asked Valkyrie if she was the new Thor, then asks Coulson if the new Thor is already "in th' fight". And Coulson reminds him that heroes work with S.H.I.E.L.D., not for them. I'll read it again later to check correctly, but I don't remember it saying that the new Thor was an agent. It only confirmed Valkyrie isn't her.

I mean, it was implied, right?

Right?

Am I the only one who is going crazy? :(

I mean, it was implied, right?

Right?

Am I the only one who is going crazy? :(

I'm kind of drunk with champagne right now though, so maybe it's just me who's not getting the
implication.

I'm almost sure it's Roz. But I'm sure that's not what's being implied. Fitz is just asking bbecause she's blonde and the identity is unknown.

Rhaknar

Oh shit I must have fucked up my seach earlier, yay!

Guys I think it's time to get serious... it's time to know where to start reading Cyclops's downfall into the asshole he is today. Hit me!

Oh shit I must have fucked up my seach earlier, yay!

Guys I think it's time to get serious... it's time to know where to start reading Cyclops's downfall into the asshole he is today. Hit me!

Marvel Unlimited is such a great deal. I can see myself renewing for another year to catch-up on everything I want to read.

Though, I do think they Marvel is getting a lot less of my money than DC/Vertigo/others. (Even though my spending habits only went from 1 Kipp to 0.23 Cheska this year).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I like all the Pulido art on this page. Including that cover. Dunno.

Happy new year guys and gals. Thanks for being awesome. Even Kipp.

<3

I haven't read X-Statix yet

Its still wrapped here, too :(

Guys. Please.
X-Statix should be the book club after Stray Bullets. I need to re-read it anyways.

Kipp where you been? Has SiP stolen you from us?

And I see Comixology has a BOGO sale for Valiant right now... Thinking about jumping on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom