• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite games by fictional genre

GreyHorace

Welp. Got promoted to full member status. My thanks and humble appreciation to the staff for deeming me worthy of the honor and privledge.

In gratitude, I guess I should start a topic that hopefully provide interesting discussion to the people here. What's your favorite game by fictional genre? My picks first:

dcx_doc723149l2azsguv5vbna.ashx

Western: Red Dead Redemption 2 - There are a number of western games of course. But seriously, did you really think there'd be any other choice? Lol The 2nd game edges out the 1st one though by having a better story and protagonist in Arthur Morgan.

960x0.jpg

Fantasy: The Witcher 3 - Personally, I don't think there's been a better written and more immersive fantasy title in gaming. CDProjektRed's third adaptation of author Andrzej Sapkowski's fantasy series is The Witcher in the popular imagination. Which means Netflix really needs to step up.

masseffect_1a.jpg

Scifi: Mass Effect 1 - Again, there are a ton of scifi games out there. But for me, Bioware's foray into their own original universe was impressive from a lore and visual standpoint. It was a big risk for them to abandon adapting existing IP's to create their own, but I'd say they were pretty successful in that regard. A shame we may never visit this universe once again.

1495540983134599314.jpg

Horror: Alan Wake - I think many of you would choose Resident Evil. For me though, Alan Wake's freaky visuals and unsettling atmosphere really freaked me out like the best horror movies do.

2015-01-26_00046-100565059-large.jpg

Film Noir: Grim Fandango - Yeah sure it's a comedy. But it's a dark comedy set in a corrupt and morally bankrupt world full of shifty characters. Like the best film noir.

AASSASS_1.jpg

Historical Thriller: Assassin's Creed 2/Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Rennaissance Italy is the perfect backdrop for Ezio Auditore's tale of vengeance. It's gets big points for making the real and infamous Borgia family his antagonists.

npub-30455-ss4

Spy Thriller: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorow - If you want your spy stories grounded in some reality without the over the top stuff (looking at you Metal Gear), then Sam Fisher's your man. And it comes with the Tom Clancy seal of approval of course.

small_bat-gotham.jpg

Superhero: Batman Arkham City - Probably the greatest the Dark Knight has ever been in videogame form. Still the pinnacle of comicbook gaming IMO.

I guess that's all I have for now. Will try and think of more examples in the morning. Hope to hear from everyone else.

brian0057

Banned
  • Fantasy:
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
tumblr_mss0axBIi11qbc2ylo1_500.gif

• Space Opera:
    • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
giphy.gif

• Horror:
    • Alien: Isolation.
giphy.gif

• Science Fiction:
    • Deux Ex: Human Revolution.
deus-ex-adam-dancing-scientist-burning-behind-him-metal-arms-1389971308N.gif

• Steampunk:
    • Thief II: The Metal Age.
Gas_arrow_knockout.gif

• Crime Drama:
    • Need For Speed: Most Wanted.
tumblr_m5weidqyV91qb0q9io1_500.gif

• Film Noire:
    • L.A. Noire.
giphy.gif

Easiest genre-based pick for me is probably Dragon Age series for fantasy. I’m not even sure what genre to put my all-time favorite game in (Bioshock Infinite).

Top Bottom