• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite videogame soundtracks

D.Final

Banned
Final Fantasy XV
(one of the best games of this generation, and one of the best Final Fantasy ever made)

Kingdom Hearts

Chrono Trigger

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Final Fantasy XV is a great game, and a great Final Fantasy

Yes, we all know how you feel about that game.

Thank goodness for FFXIV. It gives me hope that SE can still make a great FF game after that abysmal metrosexual boyband fetch Quest game that was FFXV.

Portugeezer

Poncho

Game is a decent puzzle platformer, but the soundtrack has some pretty nice tunes. Great atmosphere for levels, reminded me of FTL at certain points:

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
This generation only.
Gran Turismo Sport
Nier: Automata
Hotline Miami

Here are some classics though.

Last edited:

Manus

Stardew Valley has my soundtrack of the generation and it's not even close. Bought the vinyl and everything.

Another all time favorite is The Sims. Gives me chills to this day, mainly because of the nostalgia.

Age of Mythology

Last edited:
Literally anything by Mick Gordon

I also really like the Mighty Switch Force soundtracks

Other soundtracks I like:
Jet Set Radio & JSR Future.
Lethal League Blaze.
Shadow of the Colossus.
Final Fantasy VII, XIII & XV.
Persona 4 & 5.
Nier: Automata.
Mother 3 & 4.
UNDERTALE / deltarune.
Sonic CD, Mania, SA2, Rush & Rush Adventure.
Donkey Kong Country & DKC2.
Banjo-Kazooie
Astral Chain
Hotline Miami
Tekken 3-6 and only some parts of T7

Mhmmm 2077

Obviously stuff like Witcher and Yakuza series, but from less posted here... Anarchy Reigns and Killer Instinct (2013).

Weilthain

Banned
Since Nintendo make the best video games it’s only fitting they make the best video game music as well.

New super Mario bros theme and super Mario world theme are both good ones.

zenspider

Mega Man 2
I'm convinced this OST wrote subconciously wrote the rules for what I think rocks.

Final Fantasy VIII

This OST is just so strange and bold and wonderful. I listen to it every road trip.

Xenoblade Chronicles X
A really interesting thing happens when I listen to it - the more hate it gets, the better it sounds. Best title theme of all time:

More recently (aka the present is part of all-time)

Digimonstory Cybersleuth

The Messenger

It blows my mind how good this soundtrack is

Astral Motherfucking Chain
Like Octopath before it, I'm really thinking about it as a GOTY on thr strength of it's soundtrack.

Desudzer10

Just going by games I've played. All time favorite is Dragon Quest 8. The only other ones that come close to me are Legend of Legaia and FF8.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Greatest of all time for me is kind of a 3-way tie:

Final Fantasy 8
Nier
Silent Hill (All of Yamaoka's soundtracks combined)

The first two are just the creme-de-la-creme as they are astonishingly cohesive scores, built around shared leitmoftifs that fit their respective games like a glove.

The same can be said about the Silent Hill stuff, although obviously its spread across multiple games making it hard to pick which one of the series is all-round the strongest. That being said, you can play all of Yamaoka's scores for SH 1-4 and they feel very holistic, with really just improvements in production and instrumentation separating them.

Soundtracks:

Single Songs:

The last one is actually the composer who made music for SEGA's Valkyria Chronicles 1/4!!!

Last edited:

Esppiral

Dreamcast startup sound
Shenmue
Jet Set Radio
Jet Set Radio Future
Katamari Damacy
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 1/2/3
Silent Hill series
Alan Wake
Hitman: Contracts
Hitman: Blood Money
Freedom Fighters
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Half-Life 2
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Parasite Eve 1/2
Fallout 4
American McGee's Alice
D2
Illbleed
Mass Effect 1
Resident Evil 2/3
Streets of Rage 1/2/3
The Adventure of Batman & Robin (Genesis version)

You sir have good taste.

As for me anything sega releases has top of the industry music.

IKSTUGA

Dunno if it's my absolute favorite, but MMX4 is way up there. I absolutely love the synth sounds they used.

Some others I just adore:

Too lazy to link all, but here are some others that popped into my head while reading through this thread:

Phantasy Star Online, Super Mario 64, other Final Fantasy games (I, IV, V, VI, VIII, IX, X etc.), Super Meat Boy, Ducktales, MM3, Soldier Blade, Triggerheart Excelica, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Castlevania: Chi No Rondo and Circle of the Moon and Mass Effect (best space ambient I've ever heard).

Last edited:
Yes, we all know how you feel about that game.

Thank goodness for FFXIV. It gives me hope that SE can still make a great FF game after that abysmal metrosexual boyband fetch Quest game that was FFXV.
Sounds like someone has some strong feelings. Lol

Desudzer10

I asked my brother this question. He said probably super mario bros. 3. Not gonna lie, it's nostalgia at it's finest. And iconic.

TUROK

I've always loved Steve Jablonsky's score for Gears of War 2. The man always does fantastic work.

Last edited:
So many

All halos even 343 versions
God of war 1
Chrono trigger
Skyrim
Final fantasy 4 6 7 8 9
Xenogears
Ori
Doom 2016

To name a few

JSoup

Banned
Having recently rediscovered the Guacamelee OST, I remembered this thread and thought I'd drop one of my favorite tracks.

Top Bottom