• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your MK costume rankings.

Previously I observed that Mortal Kombat is one of few game series and even less fighting series to consistently give the characters new default costumes each of its 10 main games.

Today I was reading the MK2 vs MK3 thread, and I noticed something.

..the redesign of some of the characters (sub-zero) were all bad decisions...
And Sub Zero's new costume in MK3 was terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible imo. The standard ninja SZ and Scorpion have always been the best.
...liked the setting and some of the characters (NOT Sub Zero...!)...

I noticed that some people are wrong.

So I thought, let's do a full list thread.

Your list of best to worst costumes across all games for which ever MK character you choose.
You can use the previous thread to see them all, or look under the character's galleries on the Mortal Kombat Wiki.

I'll start with Sub-Zero, being the inspiration.

1. Deadly Alliance
  2. MK3
  3. MKX (Kuai Liang)
  4. MK9 (Kuai Liang)
  5. MK2
  6. MK1
  7. MK3 (Classic)
  8. MK4
  9. MKX (Default)
  10. MK9 (Bi-Han)
  11. MKX (Revenant)
  12. MKDA (Alt)
  13. Shaolin Monks
  14. MKA
  15. MKvsDC
  16. MKD
  17. MKD (Alt)
Gray hair Sub best Sub, no beard > beard, then the various masked designs in the middle, then the shitty Shredder design, then the shitty bald alternate from the same game as the shitty Shredder design.

Banned
Peoples opinions can be wrong now? List threads always turn out so well.

MK2
MK9
MKX
The rest are shit tier in design.

Banned
Masked Sub is best Sub. Same with Scorpion. Reptile going full repitilian is also awesome.
i79q0dXqDXsxk.gif

RM8

0.jpg

Kitana: MKX (Jingu and default are awesome) >>> MK2 > UMK3 >>> the rest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MK9.

MK9 was pretty ugly IMO.

I don't think I can say I have any real love of Movado or something but I'd love to see some do-overs by the current team for some of those PS2 era designs that had potential like Nitara or Hotaru.

Man what the hell was with some of the detours in armageddon, jarek looks nothing like his MK4 version lol.

Fandangox

Ninja Mime Johnny Cage is best Johnny cage. I do like his MKX Tournament Alt/MK9 Outfit.

I also generally like Kenshi's costume. Ermac's MK9 costume was also really good, dude/dudette(?) looked like a sorcerer.

I think that's about it, I don't really feel strongly about any other costumes. Except Sonya's MK9 costume was really dumb.

Edit: Mario Mark - Mortal Kombat confusion has to be a running gag at this point.

Beth Cyra

Previously I observed that Mortal Kombat is one of few game series and even less fighting series to consistently give the characters new default costumes each of its 10 main games.

Today I was reading the MK2 vs MK3 thread, and I noticed something.

I noticed that some people are wrong.

So I thought, let's do a full list thread.

Your list of best to worst costumes across all games for which ever MK character you choose.
You can use the previous thread to see them all, or look under the character's galleries on the Mortal Kombat Wiki.

I'll start with Sub-Zero, being the inspiration.

1. Deadly Alliance
  2. MK3
  3. MKX (Kuai Liang)
  4. MK9 (Kuai Liang)
  5. MK2
  6. MK1
  7. MK3 (Classic)
  8. MK4
  9. MKX (Default)
  10. MK9 (Bi-Han)
  11. MKX (Revenant)
  12. MKDA (Alt)
  13. Shaolin Monks
  14. MKA
  15. MKvsDC
  16. MKD
  17. MKD (Alt)
Gray hair Sub best Sub, no beard > beard, then the various masked designs in the middle, then the shitty Shredder design, then the shitty bald alternate from the same game as the shitty Shredder design.
What the hell? You're hating on Shredder Zero? That is the single best look he has ever had. He needs that in every damn game.

Weiss

Banned
bio_reptile.jpg

Reptile's best look. Don't get why people just want him to be another pallet swap.

latest

Raiden's Deadly Alliance alt is worth mentioning just for how freaking rad it is.

Sephzilla

bio_reptile.jpg

Reptile's best look. Don't get why people just want him to be another pallet swap.

People prefer the pallet swap because 1) nostalgia and 2) a fucking ton of lizard reptile designs have been awful. The one you posted is pretty good because it still takes in a lot of his green ninja aspects, only thing I don't like is the head/mask.

Rurunaki

People prefer the pallet swap because 1) nostalgia and 2) a fucking ton of lizard reptile designs have been awful. The one you posted is pretty good because it still takes in a lot of his green ninja aspects, only thing I don't like is the head/mask.

The green ninja aspect is okay, but it would take away from his moveset that is becoming more animalistic than ninjutsu. It would be a good alt for sure, but I prefer him to being half Argothian.

Sephzilla

The green ninja aspect is okay, but it would take away from his moveset that is becoming more animalistic than ninjutsu. It would be a good alt for sure, but I prefer him to being half Argothian.

I'd take a Reptile who has the green pallet swap ninja attire but still has the full lizard skin and personality. I think that would make everyone happy

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
MK Deception Mileena main, is best Mileena. Worst Mileena is the bland MKII outfit. Also, I really want Flesh Pits Mileena to go with her new mouth anatomy. She'd look great.

Rurunaki

I'd take a Reptile who has the green pallet swap ninja attire but still has the full lizard skin and personality. I think that would make everyone happy

For an alt I would have no qualms wih you. Lore wise and character development wise, they are making good strides with the current Reptile. Agree to disagree.

Sephzilla

For an alt I would have no qualms wih you. Lore wise and character development wise, they are making good strides with the current Reptile. Agree to disagree.

Current Reptile is easily one of the better ones of the lizard-man bunch, so I'm kind of with you on the good strides thing

Time to kontinue the kontroversy with a Scorpion ranking that I'm sure will go over well.
  1. MKX (Hanzo Hasashi)
  2. MK 2 and 1
  3. MK3
  4. MKX (Default)
  5. Injustice Gods Among Us
  6. MK9 (Alternate)
  7. Shaolin Monks
  8. MKvsDC
  9. MKDA
  10. MK9
  11. MKX (Gold/Coarse Scorpion)
I'm not going to lie, it's clear that after 20 years of MK I'm burnt out on ninja masks and hoods.

There's also probably aspects to my decision that aren't based simply on the physical appearance. Scorpion's original schtick of a flaming skeleton out for vengeance is a blatant ripoff of Ghost Rider, the association of his human form to a better written, more interesting and complex character also probably affected me. Unlike Sub though, the beard adds 100 points to Scorpion.

Injustice's version is really different from the norm and looks the least like a ninja, but I think it works. I especially like how the kunai is replaced with an actual scorpion stinger.

Best Kitana might be MKX default. I really like tournament Kitana from X too. The actual costume in MK9 is great but I prefer her MKX body proportions. I prefer human Kitana over the new revenant versions, even though some of the outfits are cool. I am emo she's undead. Deadly Alliance default was the best of the 2002-2008 era. UMK3 is better than classic MK2.

Time to kontinue the kontroversy with a Scorpion ranking that I'm sure will go over well.
  1. MKX (Hanzo Hasashi)
  2. MK 2 and 1
  3. MK3
  4. MKX (Default)
  6. MK9 (Alternate)
  7. Shaolin Monks
  8. MKvsDC
  9. MKDA
  10. MK9
I'm not going to lie, it's clear that after 20 years of MK I'm burnt out on ninja masks and hoods.

There's also probably aspects to my decision that aren't based simply on the physical appearance. Scorpion's original schtick of a flaming skeleton out for vengeance is a blatant ripoff of Ghost Rider, the association of his human form to a better written, more interesting and complex character also probably affected me. Unlike Sub though, the beard adds 100 points to Scorpion.

Injustice's version is really different from the norm and looks the least like a ninja, but I think it works. I especially like how the kunai is replaced with an actual scorpion stinger.
I agree with your choices :)
Don't see how he's a better written/more complex character though. Still a violent dumb idiot. Maybe in the comics?

Sephzilla

1. MKX (Hanzo Hasashi)
  2. MK 2 and 1
  3. MK3
  4. MKX (Default)
  6. MK9 (Alternate)
  7. Shaolin Monks
  8. MKvsDC
  9. MKDA
  10. MK9

I agree with most of this list actually, I'd switch MKX Default around with Hanzo though.

There's some really good Reptile concept art in the MKX Kollection.

Edit: I have no idea why the links are not working when I actually post it. Here's the main page at least.

The point still stands, the Reptile designs in MKX were dissapointingly shit, especially given some of the potential alternatives they had a concept stage.

Thanks to Slamtastic (post #50) for fixing the images.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like this version of Noob because it's the only time we get an inkling of what Bi Han looks like with his mask off.

i9szyBO.gif

I got to give the nod to MKX. Not only did they not make Kitana look like shit like they always did, they made her look awesome.

Top Bottom