• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your MK costume rankings.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
That sounds like he would end up looking like the stupid Shaolin Monks version haha. No thanks, if you're gonna make him disguised make him actually look disguised. Keep the personality no matter what though.

Does... does Reptile have one of those?

Reset

MK Shaolin Monks
Human Reptile
REPTILEHUMANFORM.PNG

This is the best Reptile.

Rurunaki

Worst decision they ever made for this game.

How is that the worst decision? Need some clarification on this. Sub Zero and Scorpion haves evolved throughout the years differentiating them enough from each other that they are no longer palette swaps with different moveset. Reptile needs to (d)evolve in the same way the it is reflected in his name, even Ermac and Smoke has developed their own personality.

ElFly

I will never take seriously the MK2 ninja suits, as the square patters reminds me of old bed covers that my mother had.

So it made me think that the ninjas had stolen her bed covers for their costumes, which is the less ninja thing possible.

Banned
I will never take seriously the MK2 ninja suits, as the square patters reminds me of old bed covers that my mother had.

So it made me think that the ninjas had stolen her bed covers for their costumes, which is the less ninja thing possible.
Mk4 keeps the reptilian face and skin but gives the green ninja suit. Perfect balance.

reptile_mk4_versus_remake_by_ser3234-d4yqmnh.png

latest

Village

Nah, reptile should strait up like be a lizard man.

Like he should be legit be lanker and larger thn the other charcters

T0K5T8y.jpg

RootCause

Here you go.

I like these, I would have liked to see them
Wow! Those would've been amazing. I've always been let down by the scarce amount of alt costumes in mk.
Sometimes I wish they would milk us like DOA. :/ Someone should tell him about that on Twitter, instead of selling easy fatalities, he could be making some dough with alt costumes dlc.

Come on release every attire ever made in previous games, and you'll get me money!

Hatty

I really don't like scorpion without his mask, he looks strange to me. Plus it means his head is not a flaming skull anymore and we can't have that

RootCause

Masked ninjas are best ninjas. This includes Reptile.
They should just make ninja costumes for every character, and switch the name to ninja kombat. :3
In all seriousness, I really dig the ninja costumes, they've had some bad designs along the way, but they look great for the most part. Wish they would bring outfits from previous games. Deception Subz was great.

Pompadour

hehe i like how this became the reptile thread

These threads are always Reptile threads. I think everyone has an opinion on what Reptile should look like.

And to chime in, human Reptile is the best. The full lizard designs make him look like a random grunt from a generic Western fantasy RPG. I've felt I've collected thousands of broken talons from those designs.

I'd prefer if they kept the human look but make it off as if it's clearly something not human pretending to be human (but not obviously so). In fact, I'd make Reptile more of a parasite like The Thing hiding inside a human body.

Creaking

Was there ever an in-universe reason for Reptile needing to disguise himself? Is his race universally loathed or something?

MK9 had the best Quan-Chi by far, especially his alt. I'm just not a fan of the armor design in MKX, it looks too bulky and warrior-ish for someone whose supposed to be a sorceror.

MK9 also had the best Scorpion, but shout-out to Injustice Scorpion as well. I like the comic book, overdesigned super hero look for him.

MKX Sub-Zero is my favorite, also like MK9 Bi-Han Sub. Ninja clothes>Armor and pads.

MKX Kano is BY FAR the best one yet. He looks so much cooler with the longer beard and grey hair. Kind of wish they'd ditch the big dumb power light on his chest though.

Pompadour

Was there ever an in-universe reason for Reptile needing to disguise himself? Is his race universally loathed or something?

If I am remembering correctly, it's not so much as a disguise but rather he's "de-evolving" for some reason. Something to do with Shang Tsung, I think.

ScOULaris

#TeamHumanReptile

MK2 Reptile is the best, IMO. He looks like a human ninja until he takes his mask off. Just the way it should be.

Creaking

If I am remembering correctly, it's not so much as a disguise but rather he's "de-evolving" for some reason. Something to do with Shang Tsung, I think.

Does he de-evolve every time he takes off his mask, and then quickly re-evolves when he puts it back on?

#TeamHumanReptile

MK2 Reptile is the best, IMO. He looks like a human ninja until he takes his mask off. Just the way it should be.

But ...why? What's the point? MK is full of weird races semi-coexisting. Why would Reptile have to wear a disguise?

I do remember hearing something along those lines, Reptile was going nuts by the time of Deception which is why he begins to look more and more bestial and lizard-like. The Human form is just a disguise he was wearing while in Earthrealm, I assume his "real" form is supposed to look something like MK9/X, as a humanoid saurian.

onimonkii

Banned
the problem with hybrid reptile is he is a green lizardman, and he is the green ninja, and all that green looks like shit together. that's why DA reptile got it somewhat right, with lots of black & gold, but it would look even better if it were another color on his outfit instead of green.

but mk fans would probably flip shit if reptile had a purple & black ninja outfit with gold accents, because that wasn't his color 20 years ago

edit: it's also why his mkx outfit works so well, the black & bone armor over green skin really fits well

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I found the best Sub-Zero.

birmingham-2014-mortal-kombat-cosplay.jpg

But ...why? What's the point? MK is full of weird races semi-coexisting. Why would Reptile have to wear a disguise?

Because reptiles are inherently deceptive. Chameleons, crocodiles, whatever you call those things with the inflatable frills on their necks (I know you're not that big, lizard, I was just looking at you!), they're all the same. In fact, if there's one thing we've learned as a species in our seven thousand years on this planet, it's that you should never trust a goddamn snake. Seriously, by the time something's disguising itself as just an ordinary harmless ninja, it's gotta know its reputation could be better.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think the appeal of OG ninja Reptile is that "Reptile" sounds like a ninja code name, just like Scorpion or Sub-Zero. The twist was that he was an actual reptile. Now he is a literal, unobscured reptile... named Reptile. It makes his character extremely boring by comparison.

We got a drastically less-dorky looking Sonya, Kano, metal-armed Jax, the UMK3 ninjas, Kabal, a far cooler Shang Tsung, and more.

The only really lame designs were unmasked Sub-Zero, Stryker, and Liu Kang's shitty hair thing.
I prefer the ninjas from 2 personally. As for the others? Kabal is so-so and I did kind of like Shang Tsung but not as much as his MK1 design. The others were downgrades- Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Sonya and Jax.

No question Sub-Zero was the worst offender.

Top Bottom