• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most depressing movie

mansoor1980

Gold Member
519DG+GdiZL.jpg

EMGNBestCryingScenes1.gif
cd5fe5a32e1e88d44b6aca36b42298f414959061.gifv

stop CRYING bitches

Last edited:

Doom85

Agreed with Requiem. After watching it, my friends and I put on Clue just so we weren’t ending the night on the most depressing note ever.

BigBooper

Yea, Requiem probably for me too. I've recommended it to one person before as a great movie that they really shouldn't watch.

Peggies

Gold Member
eSi9jkb.jpg

Kim Basinger and a dwarf kidnapp a baby from an eastern european brothel. So fucked up and depressing.

Nico_D

cFfqc0w.jpg

Great movie though. Should be watched every time it feels like your life is shit. This movie reminds you that, in fact, it's not and could be much worse.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
There was this western movie from the mid 00s I'd say. This guy who created a time machine or something, and went back to different times of his life.
His past was depressing as fuck. He was molested as a child, and grew up to be a drug dealer or something in his teenage years. He was trying to fix his past, but in the end he couldn't (I think?).
Sounds like a fever dream, but I'm sure it was a real movie.

There was also that Japanese animated film with an actress who had her life ruined by the film industry. Google search gave me "Millennium Actress", but that doesn't look like it.
Edit: Found it. Perfect Blue - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Star-Lord

There was this western movie from the mid 00s I'd say. This guy who created a time machine or something, and went back to different times of his life. His past was depressing as fuck. He was molested as a child, and grew up to be a drug dealer or something in his teenage years. He was trying to fix his past, but in the end he couldn't (I think?). Sounds like a fever dream, but I'm sure it was a real movie.
Sounds like The Butterfly Effect.

The Road is brutal as hell, so is the book. Of all the post apocalyptic depictions I've seen, both Hollywood and in Novel form, The Road is the bleakest and probably most realistic.

Grave of the Fireflies is a real kick in the nuts too.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

7ZG3zL0.jpg

Just brutal. Never a moment of real levity. Also you realize it’s probably going to be nothing like Mad Max or a whole host of other far more interesting treatments of post apocalyptic life lol.
Both this book and movie are…I dunno, introspection bait? All I can think of is what I’d do in that situation and honestly I think I’d go the path of the wife.

Cormac McCarthy is a hell of an author

plushyp

Holy shit. Just watched the trailer. No, don't need to watch THAT fucking movie. Good lord!
I expected it to be some 'middle aged guys forgetting their youth' plot but the movie just goes from bad to worse to worst. After it ended I was just staring at the screen thinking about wtf just happened.

Ionian

Star Wars 2, 3, 7, 8 and 9.

Human Centipede

Irreversible

The Mighty Ducks

Laughing about the other ones but you're right.

Irreversible though, I was not prepared for that. A must watch but I won't (corrected from will) again as it was heartbreaking in the worst way imagineable but a brilliant film.

Last edited:

Old Retro

Requiem for a Dream. Saw it on tv in 2002 and bought the dvd after. Watched it last year and may never watch it again.

The Road. Read the book and saw in the theaters twice.

Jacob's Ladder. Absolutely crushing. Only needed to see it once.

Kev Kev

marley and me

never ever ever ever watching that movie again

ever

also, not really up there with the most depressing, but Last Days is a Gus Van Sant film about the last few days of kurt cobaines life and it can be horribly depressing to watch for a person with the right kind of perspective.

this scene in particularly brutal and bleak considering we all know how it ends for him... but its also a great and emotional performance by Michael Pitt,the lead actor, who portrayed cobain in the film and wrote the song himself

Last edited:
Top Bottom