• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most depressing movie

Puncheur

aGThOdK.jpg

Dark film populated by very broken people. Seymour Hoffman is outstanding as always.

*Nightwing

Debbie Does Dallas

after essentially being groomed into prostitution to make enough to go to Dallas cheerleader tryouts she knows she is a shoe in for, making enough via paid sexual favors to land her dream job, achieving her goal of being a Dallas Cheerleader she still has to keep her job at the sporting goods store fluffing the owner to survive

Wizz-Art

xtsMv3Y.jpg

2002 - David Cronenbergh

In a slightly lesser manner I want to add;

7fVjrUh.jpg

1990 - Adrian Lynne

xdqAF4E.jpg

1995 - Mike Figgis

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I looooove Fish Tank. Actually didn’t find it that depressing, though the atmosphere certainly was, I found some parts uplifting actually.

Room was very depressing, but also absolutely amazing.

21 Grams was very depressing as well.

Head in the Clouds was a movie I tried to watch many years ago and was too depressing for me to get through. But I was younger then not sure I’d feel the same way now if I tried to watch it.

Come and See (1985) is probably the most horrifying anti war/violence film I've seen. It's all from point of view of a kid and all the bad shit he experiences. Innocent kid at the beginning, but you see how that's all gone(even in his visible appearance) and not coming back by the end of the film and it's depressing as fuck.

Malakhov

Banned
Not alone on Marley I see, depressing as fuck, reminds me of my German shepherd I lost. Can't watch it anymore as well

I couldn't pick one. Many good suggestions already posted. I wasn't sure whether the op wanted depressing or tear jerkers. The chosen films below always get me going.

Interstellar
Senna
Philadelphia
War Horse
Pan's Labyrinth
Good Will Hunting

Come and See (1985) is probably the most horrifying anti war/violence film I've seen. It's all from point of view of a kid and all the bad shit he experiences. Innocent kid at the beginning, but you see how that's all gone(even in his visible appearance) and not coming back by the end of the film and it's depressing as fuck.

Just watched it on youtube. Strong stuff.

Laughing about the other ones but you're right.

Irreversible though, I was not prepared for that. A must watch but I won't (corrected from will) again as it was heartbreaking in the worst way imagineable but a brilliant film.
The fire extinguisher scene was most satisfying though. Every nonce should meet that fate.

christian bale smiling GIF

Ionian

The fire extinguisher scene was most satisfying though. Every nonce should meet that fate.

christian bale smiling GIF

Agreed but wasn't easy to watch considering everything previously.

I don't remember if that was the start of the film, I only watched it once. I just remember a happy ending to a severly fucked up film for it's characters.

Only it wasn't happy once you knew their fate. I loved it for being brilliant story-telling and acting and writing.

Can't say the ending made up for it for me, it was actually shocking considering everything past which was the point. Made an impact on me at least.

But it is a much-watch for everyone to make up their own mind. Honestly.

EDIT: I haven't spoiled anything, you'll know ehen you watch it. Please do, it's great.

Last edited:
Agreed but wasn't easy to watch considering everything previously.

I don't remember if that was the start of the film, I only watched it once. I just remember a happy ending to a severly fucked up film for it's characters.

Only it wasn't happy once you knew their fate. I loved it for being brilliant story-telling and acting and writing.

Can't say the ending made up for it for me, it was actually shocking considering everything past which was the point. Made an impact on me at least.

But it is a much-watch for everyone to make up their own mind. Honestly.

EDIT: I haven't spoiled anything, you'll know ehen you watch it. Please do, it's great.
I watched the end on YouTube lol. I can't watch rape scenes in films or animal cruelty as I find it extremely disturbing, which obviously means I'll endeavour to avoid if possible.

One film which really unsettled me was a film called 'Breaking Waves' which I'll never watch again. It left me feeling very disgusted at how cruel and coercive the characters had been towards the main protagonist. Just thinking about it boils my piss! Great acting though by all accounts.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Taxi Driver is pretty depressing to me for some reason. Think it’s a great movie but no intention of ever watching it again. Requiem is probably the worst though. Kids is up there too.

Ionian

I watched the end on YouTube lol. I can't watch rape scenes in films or animal cruelty as I find it extremely disturbing, which obviously means I'll endeavour to avoid if possible.

One film which really unsettled me was a film called 'Breaking Waves' which I'll never watch again. It left me feeling very disgusted at how cruel and coercive the characters had been towards the main protagonist. Just thinking about it boils my piss! Great acting though by all accounts.

Watching the end is pointless as the film plays backwards, hence ' Irreversable'.

Just watching the end would entitrely miss the point as it's the beginning. "I watched the end on YouTube lol.". Says it all.

EDIT: no rape or animal cruelty in the end. Dude must be off his meds. No rape whatsoever.

Last edited:

Ionian

Double post but sums it up.

Watching the end is pointless as the film plays backwards, hence ' Irreversable'.

Just watching the end would entitrely miss the point as it's the beginning. "I watched the end on YouTube lol.". Says it all.

EDIT: no rape or animal cruelty in the end. Dude must be off his meds. No rape whatsoever.
I try to avoid films with rape or animal cruelty. I didn't say this film had animal cruelty. Judging by your peculiar reaction I'd say it was yourself that's off the meds.

This looks rapey to me so I'm not watching the entire film.

Last edited:

Ionian

I try to avoid films with rape or animal cruelty. I didn't say this film had animal cruelty. Judging by your peculiar reaction I'd say it was yourself that's off the meds.

This looks rapey to me so I'm not watching the entire film.

It's a pivotal scene for the film.

"This looks rapey to me so I'm not watching the entire film."

Uh-huh, you get your parents to check films for you?

It's a horrendous scene that is key to the film, it's not about people going about raping each other. It's about the devesatation that occurs when someone you love is hurt.

But you won't watch it, so I guess you'll never know.

EDIT: Funny how you found the worst bit of the film on YouTube. Well Maybe not the worst, that is debatable but still a shocking part and you whine and moan without watching it for context.

Open your mind, the film is more than that. That is one scene.

Last edited:
We Need to Talk About Kevin was pretty rough as well. I can't remember that movie having very many 'up' moments. Throughout it's just got this very unsettling vibe. It never feels cheery.

The acting was very good but I struggled to get through this movie because of how depressing it feels.

81cw8H1ubDL._RI_.jpg

thefool

my_girl_ver2.jpg

It has to be this because it really left me an impression hard to replicate. I was really young when I watched this on a theater and was not prepared for the shock. I still have no idea why this was marketed to kids.
I never watched this fucking thing ever again in my adulthood because I know deep down if left me some kind of emotional scar I don't want to relive lol

Last edited:

8bitpill

There are quite a few and the person that started this post hit the nail on the head, Requiem for a Dream hits hard and is at the top of the list. When I watched this for the first time in college (2002) it hit close to home. My cousin was and still is a relapsing junkie that would always come to our grandmothers house for money to get his next fix. I lived with my grandmother so their were numerous times I had to get him out of the house psychically.

738329253684.jpg

Baxter is a hard one to watch due to the ending. My wife and I have a Bullterrier, the ending fucked me up enough to not want to watch it again (I own it on DVD).

Baxter IMDB

MV5BMTY4NzcwODg3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTEwOTMyMw@@._V1_.jpg

Anyone that has been in a relationship that went bad, this one can hit close to home as well. I can watch this one with out a problem but certain parts make your mind race.

Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind

ems.ZW1zLXByZC1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzLzMxNmRlYzA4LTg4ZmQtNGEwNC1hZDVlLTJiMWYwMTIyMDYzNi53ZWJw

Takashi Miike really knows how to pull emotional strings at times. If you watched it you know how it can make you feel overall.

Ichi the Killer

p_insideout_19751_af12286c.jpeg

I have a daughter and we've watched this a couple of times. Even though it ends with a happy ending, it's a deep movie about a little girls psychology. If you have a child, it might have giving you a whole new perspective on their development.

Inside Out

This list could go on, but I', sure there are plenty of people that will add to it.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
500 Days of summer can hit hard.

The Mist ending depresses the hell out of me

Moulin Rouge's ending is depressing as all hell

Star-Lord

I’m going to add Stand By Me to the mix. I only saw it recently for the first time, and didn’t really know what to expect, but I wasn’t expecting that. Man, so many levels of trauma and depression within that film.

Top Bottom