• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most depressing movie

Wizz-Art

I’m going to add Stand By Me to the mix. I only saw it recently for the first time, and didn’t really know what to expect, but I wasn’t expecting that. Man, so many levels of trauma and depression within that film.
Huh, one of my favourite films to watch, watched and own it on DVD. Blu-ray and UHD. Wouldn't call it a depressing film at all.

tusharngf

81+H4lZVw+L._SL1500_.jpg

Star-Lord

Huh, one of my favourite films to watch, watched and own it on DVD. Blu-ray and UHD. Wouldn't call it a depressing film at all.
A film about a group of boys, who are bullied, tormented, and abused, looking for the dead body of a fellow school friend? Yeah, real cheery stuff.

Wizz-Art

A film about a group of boys, who are bullied, tormented, and abused, looking for the dead body of a fellow school friend? Yeah, real cheery stuff.
It's nothing like Mean Creek or Bully, I just don't understand that there's anyone getting depressed by this movie at all.

When the wind blows from 1986. Story of an naive eldery couple that survived nuclear war but are slowly getting affected by lack of food and radiation. Couldn't watch it to the end.

Aesius

About Schmidt.

It's an existential depression of realizing that there are countless Schmidts out there who essentially waste their lives and end up not knowing who the hell they are or what their purpose is after retirement.

Star-Lord

It's nothing like Mean Creek or Bully, I just don't understand that there's anyone getting depressed by this movie at all.
Maybe it’s because I can relate to Teddy, I don’t know, but I always feel depressed after watching it. It’s a great movie, don’t get me wrong, but yeah.

Schindlers list came to mind but this movie almost broke me and it's the only Studio Ghibli movie I have only watched once, not because it's bad it's not but because I can't bear to watch it again.

MV5BZmY2NjUzNDQtNTgxNC00M2Q4LTljOWQtMjNjNDBjNWUxNmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Irobot82

Schindlers list came to mind but this movie almost broke me and it's the only Studio Ghibli movie I have only watched once, not because it's bad it's not but because I can't bear to watch it again.

MV5BZmY2NjUzNDQtNTgxNC00M2Q4LTljOWQtMjNjNDBjNWUxNmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Is this the one where one brother survives the bomb and they find a kid who looks like his brother? Aaaannnnd there dudes with like maggots in their wounds and they aren't sure if they shoiuld remove them or not?

Edit: I may have been thinking of Barefoot Gen....not sure. It's been over 20 years.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Maybe it’s because I can relate to Teddy, I don’t know, but I always feel depressed after watching it. It’s a great movie, don’t get me wrong, but yeah.
Maybe it's something from your childhood? I don't know. I was just surprised to see a title that I watched quite a lot over the years mentioned in a thread about depressing movies when I always enjoy it and makes me rather upbeat then depressed because it is such a great coming of age movie and a fun watch.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The first 15 mins of Disney’s UP is the biggest emotional roller coaster ride there is and it’s all heartbreaking.

Spoilers to follow.of course.,,

Two little kids meet under the pretense that they both love adventure! After their first meeting younEllie gives young Carl a homemade badge symbolizing their feelings for adventure and each other.Carl sees this as a new turn in life .. a promise to go for his dreams!

They grow up, fall in love, and get married.
They are poor as the main source of income is from balloon sales. Yet their love for each other and their shared dream of adventure keeps them in good spirits.

since a life of adventure seems too far out of their grasps they decided to start a family as the biggest adventure of them all!

in a soul crushing turn of events it turns out they cannot medically have children. So they focus back on a life of adventure and start saving their loose change.

because life happens they constantly have to take out of their meager savings to pay for unexpected costs. This leaves their life of adventure further and further from their grasp.

so now they are both starting to get old.. no children no adventure… but even after all that they still have each other and are in good spirits … until Ellie grows very sick all of all of a sudden and dies…

So now Carl is old and alone. Never achieving any of the hopes and dreams he had as a young boy and with his beloved wife. Now all he has is that homemade badge representing every thing he didn’t accomplish and how he basically let the love of his life down in every possible way.

and then the movie really begins..

Porcile

Nobody Knows directed by Hirokazu Koreeda. The film just bums me out knowing there are genuinely people like the mother out there in the world in developed nations.

partime

Watched Triangle last night,

Movie was legit boring, the entire middle hour repeated itself and wasn't necessary. She has -diagnosis-, I get it. Ending was pretty good, but I was hanging on by a thread of interest. I was so close to stopping, man was that mundane. How is this even depressing?
That she is 'living' through her past pain, she's dead for God's sake.

site_28_rand_1494034376_triangle_pub_627.jpg

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
2KGggvQ.jpg
d68rYR5.jpg

These movies made me cry.
I feel like crying now watching saving private Ryan, you know the feeling of tears in the back of your eyes 😭

BigBooper

People always say that about Graves of the Fireflies, but that movie felt like a daytime Lifetime channel movie. Too much cheese.

Top Bottom