• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
Hey Nier fans (well, Japanese-reading Nier fans), check this out:

I never thought answering those CD opinion surveys would get you anything, but it looks like I scored an invitation to hear the Nier Piano Collections live! (And I live right near where it's being held!)

Tuesday, March 20. 5:30-7:00 PM, at Shinjuku i-Land.

You only get the one ticket and can't bring a friend. (You'd think they'd give these things out in pairs...)

Any other Square Enix members out there who got this invitation? Tokyo-GAF meetup?

Holy shit, that's pretty awesome. I envy you :(

*kills Dunan and swaps places with him*

Nobody will ever notice...

Dunan

So I went to the Nier Piano Collections concert -- it was great!

Only about 200 people got selected, and they mentioned that the ratio of applicants to selectees was really high, but they didn't give exact numbers. (I've posted quite a bit here and on GameFAQs about how much I like Nier, and was one of the translators in the Grimoire Nier project, but didn't do this with my real name, so I don't think SE/Cavia was rewarding me or anything; it was probably random.)

People who got picked received just the one ticket -- unlike a lot of movie previews and suchlike where you get a pair -- so it felt little weird getting to the concert hall and waiting on line; each person was there alone, so it's not like with most events where you're talking with your friends and then you turn to talk with the people around you and you get a good buzz going. No, here each individual was separate, so the line was eerily silent as we waited 10-15 minutes to get to the front and show our tickets (and ID with your real name on it; they didn't want people reselling the invitations, I suppose).

As we file in they've got a big screen in front showing the title: ピアノコレクションズ ニーア ゲシュタルト & レプリカント発売記念イベント:トオク、チイサク、ハカナイ、ピアノ, which means roughly "Nier Gestalt & Replicant Piano Collections Commemoration Event: A far-away, small, evanescent piano", and OST music is playing in the background -- the awesome "Shadowlord", among others.

I didn't recognize it right away because I've only played the game in English, but the high-pitched voice of Mai Kadowaki, who voiced Emil in the Japanese game, suddenly come in telling us to take our seats, and in what approaches a very vulgar and nasty way -- Emil is relaying an order from Kaine, you see, and can't quite being himself to say what Kaine actually said!

Then the three musicians come on the stage: Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi, and Kumi Tanioka. They start chatting and Mai Kadowaki talks about how she put in an entry to go see this concert (really? they didn't just give her one) but then she got called on to host it. After more talk, Mr. Hoashi sits down at the piano and plays "Song of the Ancients" and "Emil". Good stuff.

The format ends up being piano pieces punctuated by talk sessions. They discuss all kinds of stuff -- Okabe and Yokoo knew each other in college; Hoashi thinks "Emil" is perfect for piano, etc.

Taroo Yokoo is in Los Angeles, they say, so they've set up a life-sized dummy made of black fabric and put it in a seat. Taro is on the phone (it's 3 AM out there) and there's sometimes a short delay before his voice comes through, on a microphone connected to the dummy.

Keigo Hoashi and Kumi Tanioka play more songs -- Hills of Radiant Winds, Grandma, Gods Bound By Rules, and Kaine -- interspersed with chat sessions. After "Kaine" they take questions submitted by the audience.

Director Yosuke Saito comes out and talks. Three hundred thousand people are watching live on Ustream, he says -- no, wait, that's a joke; it's more like 1500, in addition to the close-to-200 who are there seeing it live.

(Back-of-the-envelope calculation from me: a quarter of people in Japan live near Tokyo, so if that proportion would have been able to get to this concert, and thus applied to go see it, that's 400 or so applicants and 200 tickets. 50-50 odds of getting a ticket, which is pretty good.)

He thanks everybody for supporting Nier over these last two years and coming to all the events they've held, and mentions that this event will be the last one. But, he opines, he still wants to continue Nier in some form -- maybe a new game? He can't promise.

They give away some presents and are about to wrap up, and after the hosts exit the stage, someone (surely planted by SE) starts chanting "encore!" and clapping. The audience -- all of whom had come singly, remember -- had to be prodded keep it going!

The hosts then come back out (this next part was planned from the beginning, of course), and as they're thanking us for applauding them, Taro Yokoo himself appears -- he wasn't in LA; he'd been behind the stage the entire time. He tells a couple of stories, revealing that this Shinjuku i-Land Hall was in fact the place where they did the motion capture for the game.

The conversation then turns to how Mr. Okabe hasn't played anything on the piano today despite being one of the composers, so he sits down to play "Yonah". He makes a few mistakes, starts over, and then gives up after about a minute.

They joke about how Nier-like it would be if the concert ended right there (do it!), but Hoashi steps in and performs the real encore, which is "Shadowlord". Awesome stuff, and with that they really are done.

Following this, the three musicians sign a limited number CDs for people who bought them at the event, but we don't really get to talk with them much. I really wish Saito and Yokoo had been available! I inquire with a staffer as to whether the song lyrics are printed under the notes in the piano score that they published (and sold out of quickly!), and as she's getting up to ask, a youngish guy in a Square-Enix jacket brusquely tells her that they're not available. They want to hurry people out of the venue, so I didn't get to ask about how to get in touch with the producers or with main songwriter Emi Evans, who wasn't there.

And that's about it -- the CD has several more tracks that didn't get played during the show ("Snow in Summer" and "The Wretched Automatons"), and I'm listening to it now. It's great, though I admit that I like the OST more. I also picked up the drama CD, and it fills in still more backstory for the years leading up to the events of Nier. Both are worth having.

I liked the event but really wish they'd let you bring a partner or friend; it would have livened up the atmosphere quite a bit. And I wish they'd taken live questions from the audience!

Hopefully Saito wasn't just blowing smoke when he said he wants to do more with Nier! The events are good, but a game would be even better.

1stStrike

Banned
Sounds like the concert was a blast, overall. A bit rushed, but I'm not surprised there. It does suck that you couldn't bring a friend. Was space limited or something?

Clevinger

I wonder if someone could help me regarding the soundtrack. There's a song from the game that sounds a lot like Snow in Summer, but it's different. I think it was all vocals. It's not Cold Steeled Coffin or Shadowlord or Ashes of Dreams either. Anyone have an idea of its name? Thanks!

Heh. I've got it randomly stuck in my head and I haven't played the game/listened to the soundtrack in about two months.

edit: Ah, I found it. It's The Incomplete Stone, but the version from when you're not fighting in the Lost Shrine. I guess there's no percussion-less version on the released soundtracks? Bummer.

edit2: Here it is.

So I picked up this game for a tenner, and it's been sitting on my shelf since...I decided to play it waiting for Mass Effect 3.

What can I say ? If feels very "Drakengard" in the sense the game isn't the most polished in the Square Enix catalogue, and there's some roughness in the game mechanics.

The graphics are average and the mooks not very interesting to fight.

The boss fights and the music is awesome though.

Can't wait to see if the story is up to its hype.

1stStrike

Banned
So I picked up this game for a tenner, and it's been sitting on my shelf since...I decided to play it waiting for Mass Effect 3.

What can I say ? If feels very "Drakengard" in the sense the game isn't the most polished in the Square Enix catalogue, and there's some roughness in the game mechanics.

The graphics are average and the mooks not very interesting to fight.

The boss fights and the music is awesome though.

Can't wait to see if the story is up to its hype.

The story is good, IMO, especially the second half. Strap on your seatbelt for NG+, as even more revelations are made that ties it all together.

This game keeps getting weirder/better. I arrived at the mansion...I almost regret not playing Drakengard 1 and 2.

Is there any interest to do all the side quests ? is it necessary to get all the achievements ? Do you have to do them all to unlock all the endings ?

1stStrike

Banned
This game keeps getting weirder/better. I arrived at the mansion...I almost regret not playing Drakengard 1 and 2.

Is there any interest to do all the side quests ? is it necessary to get all the achievements ? Do you have to do them all to unlock all the endings ?

The sidequests are all optional. While some of them are 100% worth doing and have some rather interesting stories to them, there's many that are just grind-fests and are rather boring. It's up to you whether you want to do them or not, but they have no affect on the main storyline or ending.

Clevinger

You might think that, but no, don't. Drakengard 1 and 2 are just complete shit. The only redeeming factor of Drakengard 1 is how horrible and fucked up its story is. #2 doesn't even have that much. There's a good let's play of 1 over at somethingawful if you're ever that curious about them (and to see Nier's connection to Drakengard 1). I'd just pretend #2 doesn't exist. Nier's developers did as well.

You might think that, but no, don't. Drakengard 1 and 2 are just complete shit. The only redeeming factor of Drakengard 1 is how horrible and fucked up its story is. #2 doesn't even have that much. There's a good let's play of 1 over at somethingawful if you're ever that curious about them (and to see Nier's connection to Drakengard 1). I'd just pretend #2 doesn't exist. Nier's developers did as well.

I played the first one for 3 hours before abandonning...the gameplay was too debilitating and dull for me to continue...but I know of the infamous Tokyo Ending and the overall WTF-ness.

It's too bad for the 2, as it seemed decent gameplay-wise.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah. If I recall correctly, Emi Evans was given directive to write gibberish lyrics stylised after different languages (Gaelic, Japanese, Italian, etc) and how they might sound many centuries from now.

jcm

Well, the OST has been pulled from the US itunes store for some reason. I wish I would have bought the whole thing when I had the chance. I only got 5 tracks. I can't find anywhere to buy the rest. Anyone know of a store I'm missing?

It may be old news, but I just noticed this is back on the itunes store. $15.99 for the album, with many of the tracks available to buy individually.

Ok finished ending B.

Overall the NG+ was quite well done : easier than the first playthrough, the revealed secrets kept me hooked and entertained. The ending B in itself ? Meh, it was satisfying on an emotionnal level, but story-wise ? Nope. It didn't resolve all the hanging questions that were left.

I hope the endings C and D are good, but as I've been playing this non-stop since saturday, I think I'm going to make a little pause. I dread getting all the necessary weapons in order to unlock these endings...

Clevinger

Ok finished ending B.

Overall the NG+ was quite well done : easier than the first playthrough, the revealed secrets kept me hooked and entertained. The ending B in itself ? Meh, it was satisfying on an emotionnal level, but story-wise ? Nope. It didn't resolve all the hanging questions that were left.

I hope the endings C and D are good, but as I've been playing this non-stop since saturday, I think I'm going to make a little pause. I dread getting all the necessary weapons in order to unlock these endings...

If you don't want to replay the game two more times you can just watch those two on youtube. I don't think there's any new story content in them except the endings themselves. Also, definitely read Grimoire Nier when you've seen all the endings. There's a fan translation. It has a developer interview and some short stories and other stuff that explains all of the story and what happens after the game.

Ending D is pretty good when you play it for yourself.
I don't know how I'd feel about that. Yeah the "erasing the book" passage was quite nice, but frankly, the game warns you several times you will erase your saves...and then so what ?
Also, what is considered the canon ending ? (even if "canon" isn't really a word CAVIA seemed to like). I liked the B ending because it deepened the A one. Here ? Well...
I dunno, it's just that I didn't find those ending particularly satisfying. I'm glad I didn't spend god knows how many hours on weapons-fetching.

Okay I read a bit of Grimoire Nier, I'm stopping for now because I'm feeling too depressed reading it.

Also it would've been nice to include even a fraction of the content this books contains in the actual game, I think it would've improved the experience.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There is only one ending in terms of story/events. A and B are complimentary with the choice offered at the C/D ending being the only point of departure. And that's really a morality decision through which the player can express their feelings on the meaning and ramifications of the game's events.

Clevinger

Actually, from what I remember
D is the true ending. Grimoire Nier (in Ending E) goes into more detail about what happens afterward, and it's surprisingly uplifting. Sort of. I mean, their (Kaine, Nier etc.) little story is uplifting/happy. What happens to the entire world in the future is still a giant kick to the balls.

Actually, no, scratch that. It's not that happy. Yonah is still dying of the disease.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, the problem with ending D is...

As what happens is that Tyrann and Replicant Nier magically expunge themselves and their actions from history, the world is somehow reformed without their existence but into a new shape that isn't ever defined.

Its a huge mindfuck in a narrative sense because it doesn't really work on any level other than the emotional. Like the rest of the story it only hangs together with "dream logic".

I mean if you assume that the Shadowlord is still dead and everything is going to hell in a handbasket (a prerequisite for ending "E" in Grimoire Nier), who exactly killed him? Nothing is substituted in its place, its simply omitted, yet things carry on as if they have occurred as we've seen.

At heart Nier as a morality play about man's inhumanity to man, and how simplistic heroic myths can enable atrocity when the "enemy" is sufficiently dehumanized. Looking deeper is almost futile because around this basic premise is a hall-of-mirrors of allusions, metaphors, and moral uncertainties.

C/D offers a moment of catharsis upon understanding the magnitude of the error the game has tricked us into. Saving Kaine is a moment of pure altruism through sacrifice; The lunar tear symbolizing "the good deed done", at last.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This ending talk reminds me of how bummed I was when I found out some quests were locked to the first half of the game and if you miss them there's no way to play to completion. I would have done everything in the game if it had the option of starting a new game+ from the beginning, but it only lets you start at the second half. No way I'd do everything from scratch after all that.

I know why you start at that part but I would have welcomed the option in a third or fourth playthrough (or a point-of-no-return message before that certain boss). Big oversight imo.

joe2187

Banned
Figured I'd ask this here, I havent read the thread for fear of spoilers, I looked at the flow chart in the OP but I'm not sure I get it.

In terms of overall opinion which is the better version to get PS3 or XBOX?

abasm

Well, the problem with ending D is...

As what happens is that Tyrann and Replicant Nier magically expunge themselves and their actions from history, the world is somehow reformed without their existence but into a new shape that isn't ever defined.

Its a huge mindfuck in a narrative sense because it doesn't really work on any level other than the emotional. Like the rest of the story it only hangs together with "dream logic".

I mean if you assume that the Shadowlord is still dead and everything is going to hell in a handbasket (a prerequisite for ending "E" in Grimoire Nier), who exactly killed him? Nothing is substituted in its place, its simply omitted, yet things carry on as if they have occurred as we've seen.

At heart Nier as a morality play about man's inhumanity to man, and how simplistic heroic myths can enable atrocity when the "enemy" is sufficiently dehumanized. Looking deeper is almost futile because around this basic premise is a hall-of-mirrors of allusions, metaphors, and moral uncertainties.

C/D offers a moment of catharsis upon understanding the magnitude of the error the game has tricked us into. Saving Kaine is a moment of pure altruism through sacrifice; The lunar tear symbolizing "the good deed done", at last.

The way I see it, their actions weren't expunged, just any living memory of them. Ending E seems to allude to the fact that this leaves Kaine all kinds of confused, as she really can't explain WHY she did any of the stuff over the past several years, and can sort of sense the gaping holes in her memory. (If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I've read it.)

First and foremost, Ending D is supposed to make YOU, the player, feel some sort of sacrifice. You stick around long enough to see your wish granted, and the immediate, tragic consequences. If they had let you watch events much longer, then the tragedy would have become more tenuous. Kaine and Yonah would naturally have a lot of big questions about the huge holes in their memory, which would reaffirm your existence in the game's world, if only by acknowledgement of your absence.
There's a reason they left Ending E out of the game.

jcm

Figured I'd ask this here, I havent read the thread for fear of spoilers, I looked at the flow chart in the OP but I'm not sure I get it.

In terms of overall opinion which is the better version to get PS3 or XBOX?

Assuming you're not talking about the Japanese version, they are basically the same. The 360's video apparently has slightly worse compression. Personally, I'd buy whichever is cheaper, unless you have a strong controller preference.

So, I just started B-playthrough. I got to the junk heap and watched the cutscenes. I couldn't do it. I'm glad they gave me the memory alloy right off the bat, instead of having to do the entire dungeon, but when I left, it made me watch another cutscene. I couldn't take it any more, so I played Space Channel 5 part 2 instead, and that made me feel better. I swear, Nier just finds the most ways to depress me.

Also, I did the Forest of Myth thing. I'm curious about the tree...
Is it some sort of supercomputer that stores memories to put back into people when the project succeeds? And the people can't go near it because they'll get filled with memories they aren't supposed to have, or something like that?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Also, I did the Forest of Myth thing. I'm curious about the tree...
Is it some sort of supercomputer that stores memories to put back into people when the project succeeds? And the people can't go near it because they'll get filled with memories they aren't supposed to have, or something like that?
The game doesn't go into specifics about it but yeah, that's it.

I don't think it's supposed to put memories back into people though. The Shades/Gestalts retain their memories after they're awake (as long as they don't relapse), so I assume that would carry over after they were inserted in their corresponding Replicants. The tree seems to be mostly some sort of backup/storage record for the project.

namDa65

just got this game for super low price. Anything I should be warned about? Also excited because there seems to be a large fanbase despite the low reviews.

Sucks that I spoiled the soundtrack of this game. I listened to it on youtube a couple months back and it made me intrigued.

Well, it's interesting that I saw this thread and decided to check the #NieR tag on Twitter, which actually provided some news.

Apparently, Grimoire Nier has continued to sell so well, they're making a second edition.

But perhaps somebody can check to see if the Japanese contains any additional details.

Yosuke Saito said:
驚きの出来事が!ニーアの攻略&設定資料集 「GRIMOIRE NieR」が今まだ売れ続けており、重版を繰り返した結果、念願の10刷を達成しましたっ!関係者の方、お祝いしましょ~!祭りじゃ祭りじゃ。
https://twitter.com/#!/SaitoYosuke_Z/status/200392556805230593

Top Bottom