• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

FZZ

Banned
Just wanted to say holy fuck the quality is so good

But yeah the homepage UI could be improved just so it's easier to use

Hale-XF11

Pg up pg dn?

You really need to get a new mouse.

I tried using the arrows on my keyboard and they wouldn't work until I managed to click, hold and drag the bottom of the page for a bit. It's an annoying solution, but that's the only way I could scroll at all. Page Up and Down wouldn't work at all.

Yes, I need to get a new mouse.

DSix

Banned
Seeing how google treated the content creators, forcing them to get financially fucked in the ass by muli-channel groups for no good reason (literally protection money from content ID). I hope YT Gaming crashes and burns.

Twitch isn't perfect but they are not downright evil (and besides the interface and chat are way better).

RedAssedApe

Banned
So, because the scroll wheel on my mouse is broken, I can't scroll through the main youtube gaming page or any other page for that matter. Really wish there was a scroll bar. Other than that little issue, I like what I'm seeing so far.

try a non-chrome browser. the scroll bars are really an eyesore though hah

Exile20

Seeing how google treated the content creators, forcing them to get financially fucked in the ass by muli-channel groups for no good reason (literally protection money from content ID). I hope YT Gaming crashes and burns.

Twitch isn't perfect but they are not downright evil (and besides the interface and chat are way better).

Can you go into detail?

Dragon

Banned

Twitch video is still utter shit.

The interface is pretty abhorrent and cluttered. Instead of trying to copy a Twitch-like aesthetic, they should've tried to make their own unique take on the game streaming site phenom.

RedAssedApe

Banned
main advantage to me so far is video quality available to everyone if you have the upload bandwidth and the ability for the viewer to rewind the live stream to catch up on things you might have missed.

also there are a lot more people who have google accounts. my friends often watch when i stream but they can't be bothered to create a twitch account. will help with getting people to interact in chat more. of course chat for the popular streamers is probably still gonna be fucked and filled with garbage

Xyber

Yay for copyright strikes, got one about 2 months back on a video that now limits my account from streaming and some other stuff up until January.

The copyright stuff will be the thing that makes Twitch stay on top. Even though like 98% of the stuff that gets flagged for copyright on youtube just adds some ads, those other 2 percent just fucks up your entire account. Why would anyone who makes money from streaming risk losing that income because they got unlucky with something that got content ID'd?

Now I don't really stream much at all, but it happens. And because of the dumb limitations on my account Youtube isn't even an option even if I wanted to now. Way better bitrate, a better player and option to selected quality without paying is stuff that makes it a better service to me, but I can't even use it because of a fucking Taylor Swift song I had uploaded a Rocksmith video of over a year ago..

Exile20

main advantage to me is video quality and also there are a lot more people who have google accounts. lot of lurkers on twitch who don't want to create a twitch account just to comment even though they might be slightly interested in participating

You are right, it took a long time for me to get an account even though I have been watching twitch for a while. Only reason I got an account was to keep track of people I am following.

Hale-XF11

Actually, I'm really, really disliking the way the sidebars overlap text and images. I guess that's only happening though for smaller monitors like mine.

bNoPYdu.png

Gaming.Youtube is so over-designed and slow. This is what happens when you try to innovate too much. It ruins the simplicity

That's exactly what I said. It's too much shit going on. All Twitch really needs to do is improve their quality. That's really the biggest complaint that people have.

Posted this earlier, but didnt get a respone, so posting again

I am a streamer. I stream smash and splatoon almost every weekday. I am not a large stream by any means.

Is there anywhere that can help spell out the differences between the two? Or let me know why I would switch? Isnt the audience still going to go to twitch?

Exile20

That's exactly what I said. It's too much shit going on. All Twitch really needs to do is improve their quality. That's really the biggest complaint that people have.

Quality and DVR features is a huge strike against twitch for me.

I can also do without the donation/following/subscribe text/graphic on the screen every couple of second. Shit remind me of myspace.

Posted this earlier, but didnt get a respone, so posting again

I am a streamer. I stream smash and splatoon almost every weekday. I am not a large stream by any means.

Is there anywhere that can help spell out the differences between the two? Or let me know why I would switch? Isnt the audience still going to go to twitch?

Depends how many people you have on average. If it is low, I would switch to youtube to get a good start to be noticed. Twitch is bad at smaller streams being seen.

gai_shain

I can also do without the donation/following/subscribe text/graphic on the screen every couple of second. Shit remind me of myspace.

Those are third party programs, not something that twitch gives streamers. So you can probably expect stuff like that in youtube aswell

antone

Banned

Depends how many people you have on average. If it is low, I would switch to youtube to get a good start to be noticed. Twitch is bad at smaller streams being seen.

I don't mind the donations and follows because people online need to make money too. Streaming is not as easy as it seems.

Exile20

Those are third party programs, not something that twitch gives streamers. So you can probably expect stuff like that in youtube aswell

You act as though that's not gonna be a thing on Youtube. Streamers need to make money somehow.

I really hope not. There is a donate button on youtubegaming but I haven't seen it being used yet.

I hope youtube doesnt make it easy like in twitch.

I don't mind the donations and follows because people online need to make money too. Streaming is not as easy as it seems.

Donations are fine but just the bombardment of text everytime it happens is so annoying.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
For those commenting on the homepage UI..

First, thanks for the feedback. :)

Second, we're working on a few performance issues that have cropped up during the launch regarding loading on gaming.youtube.com. Stay tuned.

Additionally, try importing / adding your gaming channels you already subscribe to on YT and also add your favorite games. The homepage takes on a much different feel once it's the channels and games that you love.

Is there any way to add games to the current database when typed in search?

RedAssedApe

Banned

That plus the streamers that stop playing or commentating to say "thank you for the follow" every single fucking time someone follows or subscribes...sigh

Exile20

That's not Twitch. That is the streamer. It's definitely going to make it's way to YT once a api is available.

This is what I hope youtube doesn't allow in thier apis.

Guile doing a sonic boom, a cat licking the screen, some dumb gif covering the screen.

Anyone knows what happens when you donate on youtubegaming? I havent seen it being used yet.

gai_shain

I really hope not. There is a donate button on youtubegaming but I haven't seen it being used yet.

I hope youtube doesnt make it easy like in twitch.

Donations are fine but just the bombardment of text everytime it happens is so annoying.

Thats something that happens on the streamers end and is getting streamed the same way the game is streamed, its not on twitches end and then getting put on the stream somehow

jediyoshi

Already edited my post. Anyway that is a small detail. Is it that big of a deal?

Youtube gives you far more info that twitch per game.

Not only is it for streaming but I can see let's plays, company uploaded videos, reviews, etc. for the specific game.

This is great.

If I want to know about a game, instead of going to youtube and searching looking through many videos, I will go to youtubegaming and get all the info I need.

It wasn't the crux of my point at all, just a single issue compounding everything else that you pointed out that I was responding to.

This is what I hope youtube doesn't allow in thier apis.

Guile doing a sonic boom, a cat licking the screen, some dumb gif covering the screen.

Anyone knows what happens when you donate on youtubegaming? I havent seen it being used yet.

Nothing inherently happens on either, it's the streamer implementing it.

J-Skee

I'm using the Android app. Is the DVR function not working for anyone else? It normally works for regular YouTube streams.

Also, I thought with my YouTube Music Key, I could listen to the stream in the background, but that's not possible.

EDIT: Just tried this on the regular YouTube app & was wrong on both accounts. I could have sworn I was able to rewind in pervious YouTube streams.

Exile20

It wasn't the crux of my point at all, just a single issue compounding everything else that you pointed out that I was responding to.

I get it, I am sure Google has analytics to show how people use the site. I am sure it will change in the future.

Samus4145

I really don't like that you need to go back to regular youtube to make changes to your page.

At least add a link on the top right menu to take you directly to your dashboard to make changes.

Hylian7

https://youtu.be/DhAbXnXbIdo

I'm trying this out playing some Arma 3. I've had an issue so far with my stream going blocky with lots of movement, and I didn't really have this problem on Twitch. I upped my bitrate from 3500 to 4000 and still have the same result. I also switched to the "less buffering" instead of "low latency" option as the low latency option wasn't very low latency.

I really don't see the issue with overlays and subscriber/donation call outs.

Sure it can be annoying but they are undoubtedly very effective and a further tool enabling streamers delivering content and getting rewarded for it.

I'm trying this out playing some Arma 3. I've had an issue so far with my stream going blocky with lots of movement, and I didn't really have this problem on Twitch. I upped my bitrate from 3500 to 4000 and still have the same result. I also switched to the "less buffering" instead of "low latency" option as the low latency option wasn't very low latency.

It seems to happen at 1080p streaming after doing multiple tests.

jediyoshi

also there are a lot more people who have google accounts. my friends often watch when i stream but they can't be bothered to create a twitch account. will help with getting people to interact in chat more. of course chat for the popular streamers is probably still gonna be fucked and filled with garbage

The issue with it implementing into a YouTube account is that any YouTube strike makes you ineligible to stream for six months. This will make people pretty wary about playing certain games or making archives of their regular streams while music is playing.

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=DhAbXnXbIdo

Link to use the gaming UI. I wonder if people will be able to set it up so that people who use the regular link will land on the gaming side's version.

Top Bottom