• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

Darksim

Youtube accepts a maximum of 9000 bitrate, which allows for beautiful 1080p60 streaming/recording. I've done this myself plenty of times in my previous streams. You don't need to be a partner to have 9000 bitrate as well. In contrast, twitch is 3500 bitrate unless you're a partner.

Twitch always has the 3500 kbps cap even if you are a partner, and if you use 3500 without being partnered a huge portion of potential viewers won't be able to watch because you won't have quality options.

The Youtube player is so much better than Twitch it's unbelievable, there's no additional delay if you pick a lower quality (which makes me wonder if even the highest quality is still being transcoded, much like with regular uploads) and I can switch between the different qualities with literally a quarter of a second pause. All they need to do is not have a shit ui and they might actually scare Twitch into trying a little bit.

Kieli

The ability to find streams by games needs to be better organized.

Right now, it's relegated to the side-bar with a smattering of random selections.

Hylian7

The issue with it implementing into a YouTube account is that any YouTube strike makes you ineligible to stream for six months. This will make people pretty wary about playing certain games or making archives of their regular streams while music is playing.

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=DhAbXnXbIdo

Link to use the gaming UI. I wonder if people will be able to set it up so that people who use the regular link will land on the gaming side's version.

I'm trying out 9k bitrate now, still kind of blocky.
dac15_blush.gif

Any other ideas?

Darksim

I upped my bitrate from 3500 to 4000 and still have the same result.

Your bitrate is way too low for 1080p60 to look good even on twitch. If I'm right and Youtube is transcoding all of it's different quality options then it would be re encoding your 4000 kbps 1080p60 video which would explain why it looks so bad.

Exile20

I really don't see the issue with overlays and subscriber/donation call outs.

Sure it can be annoying but they are undoubtedly very effective and a further tool enabling streamers delivering content and getting rewarded for it.

I really hate the culture of "I want to see my name in lights"

I have been on streams in which a guy would donate a $1 every time with a dumb message. So there was this big graphics in the middle of the screen every few seconds. The streamer had to actually ban him.

I also hate when a stream has to stop playing to read some long message that was already on screen and then die.

I know that streamers use this "I want to see my name in lights" and "I want to hear my name called out" tactic but it really degrades the viewing for me.

One time a streamer doesn't want donations, he said so multiple times and people still keep donating over and over and over. The more he said it the more donations came in with a big graphic on the page. The streamer got so angry he had to stop to remove the link from the page.

Just my pet peeves. I am done now. :)

I really hate the culture of "I want to see my name in lights"

I have been on streams in which a guy would donate a $1 every time with a dumb message. So there was this big graphics in the middle of the screen every few seconds. The streamer had to actually ban him.

I also hate when a stream has to stop playing to read some long message that was already on screen and then die.

I know that streamers use this "I want to see my name in lights" and "I want to hear my name called out" tactic but it really degrades the viewing for me.

One time a streamer doesn't want donations, he said so multiple times and people still keep donating over and over and over. The more he said it the more donations came in with a big graphic on the page. The streamer got so angry he had to stop to remove the link from the page.

Just my pet peeves. I am done now. :)

That's fair, interesting story the last part. Maybe he didn't want to get so many donations he'd have to do legal paperwork.

daviyoung

Banned
Just gave it a go from the UK

+++

• UI is slick, much better than Twitch.
  • Easy to set up with OBS.
  • Works well with other Youtube gaming content.

---

• My upload speed is very bad, but this handles it worse than Twitch.

Nokterian

Have 200+ subs can't add them all..that is unfortunate. Also i do not like the layout it to me is a mess on both the left and right side. The middle is not hot either...

I'm watching one of my streamer friends on YT. He usually averages around 15 viewers or so on Twitch. He's at 31 viewers on YT right now. Just for perspective. I hope they implement hosting options and other stuff.

Kyougar

Live Streaming is not available in your country due to rights issues.
Sorry about that.

Fuck you too Youtube! What rights issue? Twitch is working fine! (Germany)

Vuze

Live Streaming is not available in your country due to rights issues.
Sorry about that.

Fuck you too Youtube! What rights issue? Twitch is working fine! (Germany)
Channels need to be whitelisted before you can watch them (aka sign a contract w/e in which you agree not to stream any GEMA licensed music). Some German channels already did this, but good luck with international channels lol.

Anyway, I get a 404 error on my desktop rig when I try to browse the site and it's totally unusable on my notebook (1366 x 768). Can't even scroll down without using the arrow keys.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
https://youtu.be/DhAbXnXbIdo

I'm trying this out playing some Arma 3. I've had an issue so far with my stream going blocky with lots of movement, and I didn't really have this problem on Twitch. I upped my bitrate from 3500 to 4000 and still have the same result. I also switched to the "less buffering" instead of "low latency" option as the low latency option wasn't very low latency.

Hey there. Watched your video and yeah I noticed those weird blockiness. In OBS, I use a bitrate of 8,500 and here's the result I get from of the more demanding game, Rocket League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0WAfqTHuPg

I think yeah, you just need to up your bitrate to a maximum of 9,000 if you can. Quality will be excellent especially if you want to do 60fps.

Twitch always has the 3500 kbps cap even if you are a partner, and if you use 3500 without being partnered a huge portion of potential viewers won't be able to watch because you won't have quality options.

The Youtube player is so much better than Twitch it's unbelievable, there's no additional delay if you pick a lower quality (which makes me wonder if even the highest quality is still being transcoded, much like with regular uploads) and I can switch between the different qualities with literally a quarter of a second pause. All they need to do is not have a shit ui and they might actually scare Twitch into trying a little bit.

Thanks for clarifying. I played around with Twitch early on when I started streaming and left for Youtube pretty quickly afterward. So some details about Twitch is probably wrongly memorized in my mind.

The big plus of everyone having resolution settings for the viewer is that an old pc like my own can use a high bitrate to stream video footage without using tons of cpu time to compress the video, as if you were uploading a regular youtube video.

Example, on twitch I cap my upload to 1500 and stream in something around 480p so other can watch, with youtube I could in theory upload 720p at 6000kbps using a lightweight compression which would not kill my old core2duo and people of all internet types could still tune in and watch, this is a big plus.

Sou Da

Chat's definitely better but it still needs some work. I feel like the avatars are making it load a bit weirdly.

finalflame

Are people saying the UI is "gross" just used to Twitch and refuse to accept that YouTube Gaming is different? I was never a heavy twitch user but holy crap, this seems great. The quality, chat, and UI all seem fine to me.

Are people saying the UI is "gross" just used to Twitch and refuse to accept that YouTube Gaming is different? I was never a heavy twitch user but holy crap, this seems great. The quality, chat, and UI all seem fine to me.

Nah... YT UI is crowded. Way too much going on. Especially compared to Twitch who has a simple, straight forward approach. Quality on YT is great though.

KarmaCow

It's just very clearly a tablet and touch-based UI, which sucks when there are huge buttons and menus on both sides.

atbigelow

I hate Twitch's UI but YTG still has some trouble spots. Most of the actual content pages, like the stream page, are good.

But there are a bunch of other issues, like the hovering sidebars and eyegasm on the front page.

Downloaded the iOS app. Much much better experience than the desktop browser version. Loads quick, better than the primary YouTube app. The stream begins almost instantly, unlike the initial buffering I usually get when viewing streams in the Twitch app. Chat pauses when you tilt to landscape mode. This is kind of neat until you realize you have to swipe like a mad man to get to the most recent comments in an active chat when you tilt back.

For now, I think navigation in Twitch is still a bit more intuitive, but I think that the YouTube Gaming interface will be easier to build on.

jediyoshi

What about the UI on desktop specifically do you prefer? I'm actually at a loss as to what use case flows are actually improved.

Speaking of mobile layouts i'm currently trying the website out on my windows 10 tablet, it's taking about a minute to load in the videos on the main page before I can do anything...

clicking on a live channel to view it is also bogging down firefox to the point where I think it's crashed.

*edit* its amazing how the chat is destroying playback because it's loading in everyone's avatars, and in a room of 400 people talking it's nothing but buffering and pausing due to chat. Honestly youtube remove the avatars.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
This layout is complete and utter garbage holy shit. Just show me a grid view of the most popular channels right now and what games they're playing. Shit isn't hard.

Top Bottom