• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

Justified

Question, notice that to the right of "Past Live Streams" Nintendo has other playlists there.

I also have playlists on my channel, but they aren't appearing under my YouTube Gaming site as seen in the picture.

Anyone know how I can get my playlists to appear, like Nintendo has?

6YdVWmp

Yea I was wonder that myself. Some channels have them, so dont. And I cant tell what makes them show

Shizzlee

Question, notice that to the right of "Past Live Streams" Nintendo has other playlists there.

I also have playlists on my channel, but they aren't appearing under my YouTube Gaming site as seen in the picture.

Anyone know how I can get my playlists to appear, like Nintendo has?

6YdVWmp

EDIT For some reason I can't get the picture to show up, here is a link to it

You have to go your channel page in the regular youtube and feature a playlist in its own section on the channel's frontpage. There should be an "Add a section" button near the bottom that looks like this:

bzaLKI4.png

Use that to feature a playlist on your channel page and it should show up on the gaming youtube version. It works for me.

It looks like viewership has collapsed hard? The only 1000+ viewer stream right now is the MTG world championship.

I really want to give YT Gaming a proper crack, but it seems like the interface and overall intent of the website and all is fundamentally flawed by having both videos and streams cluttering your feed, and the stunning fact that it is currently really hard to see certain crucial things:

How many people are watching a given game
Who is actually live!

YouTube, I have systematically ignored and deleted your recommended video lists off my feed for five years now. Why the hell are you cluttering up my feed with stuff I can already watch on YouTube *when I am in your application to find and watch live streams*.

Such a crying shame. I can run ads on YT and it's be a great way of building an audience, but the system is so bad right now that there doesn't seem to be any point trying.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
It looks like viewership has collapsed hard? The only 1000+ viewer stream right now is the MTG world championship.

I really want to give YT Gaming a proper crack, but it seems like the interface and overall intent of the website and all is fundamentally flawed by having both videos and streams cluttering your feed, and the stunning fact that it is currently really hard to see certain crucial things:

Who is actually live!

YouTube, I have systematically ignored and deleted your recommended video lists off my feed for five years now. Why the hell are you cluttering up my feed with stuff I can already watch on YouTube *when I am in your application to find and watch live streams*.

Such a crying shame. I can run ads on YT and it's be a great way of building an audience, but the system is so bad right now that there doesn't seem to be any point trying.

lol oh yeah Youtube Gaming's viewer count is all over the place. I wonder, is Twitter's viewer count system better ? Maybe Youtube Gaming will be more popular when their apps become available more internationally :p Also, subbing in Youtube Gaming needs to be the same as subbing in Youtube. Otherwise, it's pointless and split your channel's statistics that's valuable for the streamer to analyse with.

Hylian7

Steamed Dota 2 quite a bit last night, and actually had 20-40 viewers the whole time. I got a ton of new subscriptions.

I know those numbers aren't amazing per se, but they were particularly impressive as my usual viewership on Twitch, YouTube, and Hitbox was less than 10. The only time ever really got to as much as I had last night was even I was casting matches in the Giant Bomb Dota tournament.

Even had a famous YouTuber show up in the comments briefly, ChiLongQua (really good Dota player, but also known for pulling troll antics and using a voice filter).

You have to go your channel page in the regular youtube and feature a playlist in its own section on the channel's frontpage. There should be an "Add a section" button near the bottom that looks like this:

bzaLKI4.png

Use that to feature a playlist on your channel page and it should show up on the gaming youtube version. It works for me.

Thank you!

Exile20

Steamed Dota 2 quite a bit last night, and actually had 20-40 viewers the whole time. I got a ton of new subscriptions.

I know those numbers aren't amazing per se, but they were particularly impressive as my usual viewership on Twitch, YouTube, and Hitbox was less than 10. The only time ever really got to as much as I had last night was even I was casting matches in the Giant Bomb Dota tournament.

Even had a famous YouTuber show up in the comments briefly, ChiLongQua (really good Dota player, but also known for pulling troll antics and using a voice filter).

Even if YTG doesn't take away big twitch streamers, i hope they create their own. Keep at it.

Who is actually live!

I agree with you but this isn't a separate platform. This a skin/wrapper for youtube. Streams on YTG is also playing on normal youtube. It is a shame because they could have created something special but building up instead of throwing everything at the user.

All I care about is the live streams and vods.

Justified

bzaLKI4.png

Sweet, thx. That need to be easier though

WillyFive

Youtube Gaming doesn't seem much of a competitor to Twitch as it is a hub for all things gaming videos on Youtube; which is fine.

I think they should bring the player layout for YTG to normal Youtube; love the huge screen real estate.

NetMapel

I have tested out Elgato HD yesterday with Mario Kart here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4LTagBozz0

I have the Elgato software but I streamed through OBS instead. I found that quality to be better. Also, when you set up, make sure to double check for overscan so you don't get the black box thing in my video. That will be fixed in my next Elgato test :)

NetMapel

Definitely use OBS instead of packaged streaming programs. Far superior program.

My only other question is, do I need the Elgato software then, if I were to just stream through OBS ? I'm guessing I'd still need the Elgato software to feed into OBS, right ?

Nokterian

Youtube Gaming doesn't seem much of a competitor to Twitch as it is a hub for all things gaming videos on Youtube; which is fine.

I think they should bring the player layout for YTG to normal Youtube; love the huge screen real estate.

At this moment no and i think the whole UI is such a mess and bloated not easy to use. They need to fix things first i don't know i just keep it to my normal youtube instead for my sub video's i find it hilarious that you can't add all your subs (mine are 200+ i guess) to the list.

I agree with you but this isn't a separate platform. This a skin/wrapper for youtube. Streams on YTG is also playing on normal youtube. It is a shame because they could have created something special but building up instead of throwing everything at the user.

All I care about is the live streams and vods.

This is my problem with it as well when I first took at look at it I only wanted to check out streams. But instead I'm having tons of old videos from the regular youtube page being thrown at me. Part of me actually likes that I have all these options available to me and maybe in time most of us will love it. But I think it was overwhelming at first. I wished they could have just stuck to focusing on streaming and then add more to it over time.

In the end I wish they would have just stuck to live streaming and make it easier to navigate and categorize these games so it's easier to find. If I want to check out old videos then I'll just use the regular youtube page. At least when you get to the part where you're actually watching a live stream, it seems to do a fine job of that.

Human

Neo Member
I like that if YouTube knows you like a particular game it'll sometimes throw livestreams into your recommended list on the main page. I've seen it with Dota a few times, and not from anyone I follow.

What's the deal with the analytics on YouTube gaming though? It seems to count all the streams as one, I guess. I'm also not clear on how ads work. Does it only play them when you manually initiate them or will you get ads when you start a stream sometimes?

TalonJH

I would love to stream again but when I go to Youtube Gaming main page(not even my page), I get this 404 error:

B2U2VUrl.png

I technically could still stream because YouTube is still accessible but not being able to see the page kinda bums me out.

This literally feels abandoned from day one. What the heck, YouTube?
It really does feel like a website cobbled together just throw all their gaming crap into it just to tell everybody "We have streams too!" It was not ready for primetime and that's pretty disappointing because I thought they were actually going to push this seriously.

Anyone else having trouble navigating on a tablet? I'm trying to get to the trending games sidebar on my surface but it seems like its designed for a computer with a mouse wheel, not touch.

NetMapel

I don't think anybody has gotten into trouble IN THE MIDDLE of the stream with copyrights/Content IT so far in Youtube Gaming though. Once it's recorded, then yes, it will have all the usual Copyright/Content ID issue. I've streamed on Youtube and Youtube Gaming for a while now with titles that has strict Content ID such as Mario Kart with no problem during the stream. Recorded version, like I said, is another ballgame.

NetMapel

Also, did anybody else notice that the website now loads a heck lot faster on browser now ? I'm browsing via Safari and it loads so much faster now. Seems like the two side bars are no longer transparent and are now opaque. Youtube is definitely working on this to make it better than 2 days ago.

Hylian7

Dead as expected.

Yeah I'm not understanding why people are saying this. I go to the YouTube gaming homepage and see a stream with these stats.

tbXXQg4.png

I realize these aren't crazy Twitch numbers, but like it's day 3, and it already has regular YouTube user base on the back of it that can easily grow into it. I don't know why people are calling this a failure already.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Having to content id system as elaborate as Youtube. All they do is look for copyright music and mutes it in the vod.

My only guess is that copyright holders aren't breathing down Twitch's neck as often as they are Youtube's. Both sites have automatic content-matching systems, but Twitch's database doesn't seem to have as much in it.

FZZ

Banned
Yeah I'm not understanding why people are saying this. I go to the YouTube gaming homepage and see a stream with these stats.

tbXXQg4.png

I realize these aren't crazy Twitch numbers, but like it's day 3, and it already has regular YouTube user base on the back of it that can easily grow into it. I don't know why people are calling this a failure already.

It makes zero sense lol

A majority of the people saying it are most likely Twitch fans using confirmation bias even though it has literally only been 3 days

Almost as if people want it to fail even though competition is better in the long run

Spaceking

It makes zero sense lol

A majority of the people saying it are most likely Twitch fans using confirmation bias even though it has literally only been 3 days

Almost as if people want it to fail even though competition is better in the long run

Totally agree.

Top Bottom