• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

Exile20

I kind of like the fact, that with gaming.youtube.com I get everything related to gaming.

When you search for a game you can also Filter to only show Live-Feeds.

So I am OK with this design decision.

But the scrolling only with the mouse wheel really is a stupid decision ;-)

Personally, I'm quite fine with Youtube Gaming being an advanced skin for Youtube's gaming category. The filters all make sense and all. I just want the website version to be more streamline, clean, and faster loading on my modern computers. I haven't been able to test out the mobile apps yet because my Canadian stores won't allow me. I've only heard good things about the mobile apps though. The Youtube Gaming dev guy who posts here already said they're working on something for the desktop website so we'll just wait and see. We are only two days into this whole platform anyways. Give it some time for them to work things out.

I wish it was just for streaming and vods. Adding in videos from let's plays, reviews, random gaming videos makes the site noisy and confusing. When I subscribe to a streamer I get all of their gaming vids thrown at me, same with subscribing to a game plus vids of the publisher/dev of the game. It is just a hub for all youtube gaming vids.

Is there any quick way to see archived videos of streams instead of streamers normal uploaded videos?

The app is better than the desktop version because of the smaller screen. They had to streamline it more.

I jus hope they are more focused in content delivery instead of throwing every gaming video at you. I am sure they will improve, I just hope it isn't too late because DVR is my biggest draw to gaming.youtuvbe.com

Needlecrash

I have mixed feelings about the site. Initially I thought it was separate site but it isn't. When you try to add your subscriptions over, you have to do it one by one and you can't get all of them on the page. For my videos, they are missing the game it's showing or the video displays it as a different game being played. IE, I have a UMVC3 video with the right tags and it comes up as me playing the game Doom?

I know it's a work in progress and it just launched yesterday. But, along with some other things, this site is a work in progress.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
One other thing too, I definitely hope they unify the "subscriptions" between Youtube Gaming and Youtube. I have a couple of subs in my main Youtube page. I wouldn't want them to have to sub again or whatever if they start watching me via Youtube Gaming. But then, for those who sub a lot, they might have a huge list on their screen right. That would be kind of annoying, I guess. I'm sure Youtube Gaming will work to make this interface batter though.

Was streaming MCC earlier, got up to 4 viewers, other then that it was at 0/1/2 most of the time. Only one other guy streaming halo. Hmm, maybe itll grow but right now ehhhhh

NetMapel

Was streaming MCC earlier, got up to 4 viewers, other then that it was at 0/1/2 most of the time. Only one other guy streaming halo. Hmm, maybe itll grow but right now ehhhhh
Yeah I wouldn't really trust the Youtube viewership count thing. It's really all over the place, hahaha. I've interacted with multiple people in my stream before and Youtube says I only have 1 viewer :p

One other thing too, I definitely hope they unify the "subscriptions" between Youtube Gaming and Youtube. I have a couple of subs in my main Youtube page. I wouldn't want them to have to sub again or whatever if they start watching me via Youtube Gaming. But then, for those who sub a lot, they might have a huge list on their screen right. That would be kind of annoying, I guess. I'm sure Youtube Gaming will work to make this interface batter though.

So if someone subs my stream, they aren't also subbed to my normal YouTube channel? That seem wrong.

norm9

Haven't been following thread. Is there any reason someone would use this over Twitch? Is the only advantage that it's all under the google umbrella?

Exile20

So if someone subs my stream, they aren't also subbed to my normal YouTube channel? That seem wrong.

Why should you? I follow people on twitch but not youtube. Some channel I only watch for tournaments and don't care for their everyday/week content.

Yeah I wouldn't really trust the Youtube viewership count thing. It's really all over the place, hahaha. I've interacted with multiple people in my stream before and Youtube says I only have 1 viewer :p

I streamed last night and 3 people subed my channel and yet it says i have zero veiwers with -1 subscribers. Yup -1.

Haven't been following thread. Is there any reason someone would use this over Twitch? Is the only advantage that it's all under the google umbrella?

For me it is the DVR features. rewinding live streams for up to 4 hours is such a great feature.

NetMapel

Seems like, if you see a channel you like in Youtube Gaming and you click on that "Add" button. It just pins the channel to your channel list thing on screen right. I'm talking about this from the desktop browser's perspective, of course. So, the Add button doesn't sub your channel. It's just a pin that allows the viewer to pin your channel on their channel list.

Why should you? I follow people on twitch but not youtube. Some channel I only watch for tournaments and don't care for their everyday/week content.

I streamed last night and 3 people subed my channel and yet it says i have zero veiwers with -1 subscribers. Yup -1.

For me it is the DVR features. rewinding live streams for up to 4 hours is such a great feature.

Because you would assume that if you enjoyed a stream enough to hit the star, then you would want to see other videos from them. I think they should be connected.

Exile20

Because you would assume that if you enjoyed a stream enough to hit the star, then you would want to see other videos from them. I think they should be connected.

Why? That is a bad assumption.

I only watch Teamspooky for tournaments. When he streams random games I never watch his stream.

Hylian7

So....dumb question. I've never actually monetized my YouTube account before. I looked into it today and saw that monetization was disabled on my account and was like "wtf". Well I finally figured out how, but I apparently have not one but three ContentID flags, and one was on a video more than two years old. All three of them were in-game music.

Is there any way I can get it back or am I just screwed?

One more issue I'd like to have straightened out is the way ads are delivered. Two issues, specifically:

1) Different viewers appear to be served ads of differing lengths.

2) It's impossible for the streamer to know when the ads have ended.

I just completed a stream that I was also watching from a separate computer, just to get a better grasp of exactly what the audience is experiencing. At one point, I was given an 18 minute ad. Thankfully, I was also given the option to skip said ad after a few seconds, but I don't know if this is good enough. It's not an elegant situation for the streamer to deal with. How can you know to cease your break and continue playing if you can't be sure that all the viewers are back from commercial? The skip option is nice and all, but it's not good for an edge case where someone may be showing the stream on an unmanned projector where the skip button can't be reached in a timely fashion.

Is there a way to enforce uniformity in ad length? I think 15 to 30 seconds would be ideal. Differing ad lengths is fine for VODs and all but not for live events.

EDIT: Honestly the fact that not every viewer is given an ad when you send one is a little weird in its own right, too.

You can take any video on your Youtube channel and cut out pieces of it to post as a new video. It's in the video manager.

So were you able to activate monetization on your channel? This post is a little unclear. I've had my channel monetized for over a year and get ContentID matches once in a while, but they don't have any effect on me other than stripping ad revenue from those specific videos.

You can file disputes through the copyright notice section of the video manager. It's kind of a crapshoot depending on who the claimant is, though. If the actual game publisher has laid a claim to your video, it might not be worth the time or effort to fight it, but if it's a mistake (tags a song that isn't actually used in your video; rare but does happen on occasion) or a copyright troll, then you should at least file a counter-claim. There are no repercussions for filing the first counter-claim on a video. If the claimant rejects your dispute, though, you then have to take a gamble on whether or not it's worth taking further legal action.

Basically I started to try to activate it a few years ago, but then I didn't fill out and mail in the form they needed and gave up on it. Now it says I am in good copyright standing, but monetization is disabled and it won't tell me why. After researching it the only thing I see is if you have multiple copyright claims, supposedly your monetization is disabled for 6 months, even if you remove the claimed material. Is this really it? I'm screwed for 6 months?! Who the fuck thought this policy was a good idea?!

There is a difference between a "copyright strike" and a "ContentID match." The latter is the automated, more frequently encountered issue, and doesn't carry severe consequences. Usually it just strips your ad revenue for those specific content matches and possibly blocks the video in countries where that content isn't authorized to play.

What do you see when you go here:
Creator Studio > Channel > Status and features > Monetization

Edit: I was thinking of the wrong place. It says "Monetization is disabled for this account"

Not even a greyed out spot for it in the features list? That's weird.

Are you a Youtube Partner, or is there an option available for you to apply to be one?

Edited my previous post, I was thinking you meant something else.
Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Edit: HOLY SHIT IT WORKS NOW, I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED BUT IT WORKS

Mecca

I use a 4th generation ipod and I can't view the site on the browser. A website pops up just telling me to get the app. I need IOS 7.0 installed to get the app. and my ipod is so old it won't let me update it to 7.0. I should at least be able to view the website within the browser without using the app.

Elitist1945

YouTube needs to do something about the chat. Watched ChilledChaos stream Until Dawn the other night and it was nothing but dick emoticons. Are there even mods with YouTube gaming?

atbigelow

I use a 4th generation ipod and I can't view the site on the browser. A website pops up just telling me to get the app. I need IOS 7.0 installed to get the app. and my ipod is so old it won't let me update it to 7.0. I should at least be able to view the website within the browser without using the app.

Why should you? Can you watch Twitch via browser on there either?

I realize it's a shit situation, but as you said: it's so old.

Mecca

Why should you? Can you watch Twitch via browser on there either?

I realize it's a shit situation, but as you said: it's so old.

Actually, yes I can watch Twitch via the browser.

Not everyone can afford the newest latest device. Other than this issue, I have a perfectly functioning ipod. No need to upgrade it. Using the browser should always be an option for people.

atbigelow

Actually, yes I can watch Twitch via the browser.

Not everyone can afford the newest latest device. Other than this issue, I have a perfectly functioning ipod. No need to upgrade it. Using the browser should always be an option for people.

I realize that, and it does suck. YTG placed itself at a higher web benchmark than twitch does, so it's a bummer folks get left out.

What browser are you trying to use? Is only Safari available?

Mecca

I realize that, and it does suck. YTG placed itself at a higher web benchmark than twitch does, so it's a bummer folks get left out.

What browser are you trying to use? Is only Safari available?

Yeah, I'm using Safari. I'm not sure if there is an alternative. Hopefully there is one out there that works with this.

Hylian7

YouTube needs to do something about the chat. Watched ChilledChaos stream Until Dawn the other night and it was nothing but dick emoticons. Are there even mods with YouTube gaming?

Honestly I think YouTube's chat is one of the best things about YouTube gaming. The chat log isn't lost when you refresh the page. The only real downside to it is the emoticons, but if there was custom emoticon support I think that would be solved.

Honestly I think YouTube's chat is one of the best things about YouTube gaming. The chat log isn't lost when you refresh the page. The only real downside to it is the emoticons, but if there was custom emoticon support I think that would be solved.

I agree that chat is good, but it needs certain features to be at par with Twitch, mainly the ability for us to load bots into it, that help moderate the nonsense, and enforce rules. Yes, you can promote chatters to moderate, but when enough people get into YouTube chat, it becomes un-moderatable (word?) by a human.

Honestly if YouTube really want's to beat the pants off Twitch, they would just copy Nightbot/Moobot/Ankhbot, and put one in each channel automatically, then give a ruleset that can be edited by the channel owner.

Hylian7

I agree that chat is good, but it needs certain features to be at par with Twitch, mainly the ability for us to load bots into it, that help moderate the nonsense, and enforce rules. Yes, you can promote chatters to moderate, but when enough people get into YouTube chat, it becomes un-moderatable (word?) by a human.

Honestly if YouTube really want's to beat the pants off Twitch, they would just copy Nightbot/Moobot/Ankhbot, and put one in each channel automatically, then give a ruleset that can be edited by the channel owner.

Yeah, I mean I'm sure things like this will come eventually. I mean the gaming part of it launched yesterday, and definitely will grow. I'm pretty sure Twitch/Justin.TV didn't have these things day 1.

Isn't the chat a lot laggier than twitchs?
I have no idea. I have yet to see anything indicating so.

xevis

Banned
Just visited this site. I was met with globs and globs of JavaScript and so much embedded bullshit that Firefox (32) immediately started choking. Next I tried to open the site in Safari 6 but that browser doesn't seem to be supported -- there's no content, only a black screen. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

(For context, I have an i7 mac with 8GB RAM; hardware is not a problem!).

Exile20

Just visited this site. I was met with globs and globs of JavaScript and so much embedded bullshit that Firefox (32) immediately started choking. Next I tried to open the site in Safari 6 but that browser doesn't seem to be supported -- there's no content, only a black screen. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Get Chrome

Hylian7

Streaming Arma 3's new Exile mod, basically an open world survival mod, but no zombies or anything. There is nice base building, and some other goodies in it though.

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=DhAbXnXbIdo

What are the odds of vanity URLs coming anytime soon?

I'd rather have something like gaming.youtube.com/HylianSeven than that gobbledegook.

NetMapel

Streaming Arma 3's new Exile mod, basically an open world survival mod, but no zombies or anything. There is nice base building, and some other goodies in it though.

I'd rather have something like gaming.youtube.com/HylianSeven than that gobbledegook.

Actually that gaming.youtube.com/HylianSeven link does work. Takes me straight to your Youtube Gaming channel. Similar to www.youtube.com/HylianSeven

:)

Hylian7

Actually that gaming.youtube.com/HylianSeven link does work. Takes me straight to your Youtube Gaming channel. Similar to www.youtube.com/HylianSeven

:)

Interesting, good to know.

Now I'm playing Dota, but I have a problem. I've changed the game to Dota instead of Arma 3, but to everyone else it STILL says Arma 3. What gives here? I refresh my dashboard and it says Dota 2 for me.

NetMapel

Interesting, good to know.

Now I'm playing Dota, but I have a problem. I've changed the game to Dota instead of Arma 3, but to everyone else it STILL says Arma 3. What gives here? I refresh my dashboard and it says Dota 2 for me.

Oops. You know what. That link takes me to a channel called Runouw.com. Is that like an old channel you have or something ? I thought that was your channel. Turns out you have another channel.

For example, mine is gaming.youtube.com/shibafangaming and it takes me straight to my channel just fine.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm still getting nonstop 404 errors on Chrome.

Your channel page is at:
http://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UC-F5wbMlRy2QykHySnFqp-Q

I'm pretty sure you can direct viewers to your current live stream with this:
http://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UC-F5wbMlRy2QykHySnFqp-Q/live

Judging from your channel ID, you haven't applied for a custom channel name yet in your Youtube account settings. I think there might be some kind of subscriber threshold for that. I wouldn't really know because I've had my account since 2006 and had a custom name before they changed how this works.

For example, I can use:
gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive
gaming.youtube.com/sixfortyfive/live

Also, like the previous poster said, you appear to have two different channels registered under your account.

Mecca

I have a non-gaming channel that I upload clips to. I just tried my channel using the gaming.youtube.com/username format and all my videos popped up. I think I might just start using that for all my youtube viewing on my laptop. The black background doesn't hurt my eyes like the white background on youtube.com and everything isn't cluttered on my screen.

zugzug

Markeedragon was dual streaming on twitch and youtube on YouTube someone put him on front page today it said he had 3.4k viewers and the normal 250 ish on twitch and he got swatted today while playing Eve Online. Everything ended with no damage his front door was unlocked so they did not bash his door down Markeedragon was cuffed house cleared at end sheriff came in to see Markeedragon six monitor setup and the sheriff said he plays Eve Online as well.

On tablet now not sure if already posted boil me if this is a repeat. Happened about 7 hours ago.

Exile20

Markeedragon was dual streaming on twitch and youtube on YouTube someone put him on front page today it said he had 3.4k viewers and the normal 250 ish on twitch and he got swatted today while playing Eve Online. Everything ended with no damage his front door was unlocked so they did not bash his door down Markeedragon was cuffed house cleared at end sheriff came in to see Markeedragon six monitor setup and the sheriff said he plays Eve Online as well.

On tablet now not sure if already posted boil me if this is a repeat. Happened about 7 hours ago.

the fuck? this is still happening?

KyleCross

Under your channel settings, you can claim a custom URL if your channel is eligible for one. Hopefully you are eligible.

Thanks for informing me about this, it even told me I could do it right on my channel but I never noticed. Sadly, there was already a KyleCross on YouTube so I had to choose KyleCrossGaming. Kinda like it tho, makes it a pun like Street Fighter X Tekken and the such.

It's completely unusable on desktop Safari.

KyleCross

So uh... I guess YouTube Gaming has zero visibility on normal YouTube? Yesterday they had an icon next to the YouTube logo at the top left of the page but that is gone now and there is no link on regular YouTube, which means you have to actually go to gaming.youtube.com. Kinda disappointing, can't really get normal YouTube watchers to become stream watchers that way as they have no idea it exists.

Justified

So uh... I guess YouTube Gaming has zero visibility on normal YouTube? Yesterday they had an icon next to the YouTube logo at the top left of the page but that is gone now and there is no link on regular YouTube, which means you have to actually go to gaming.youtube.com. Kinda disappointing, can't really get normal YouTube watchers to become stream watchers that way as they have no idea it exists.

If you go to the bottom left and click "Browse Channels" the streams are there under #Gaming.

But yea now you have to find streams the same why you find Lets Plays, etc. Either by word of mouth or searching for.

I edited a Link to my gaming page in my banner since I decide Im going to start uploading vids

Question, notice that to the right of "Past Live Streams" Nintendo has other playlists there.

I also have playlists on my channel, but they aren't appearing under my YouTube Gaming site as seen in the picture.

Anyone know how I can get my playlists to appear, like Nintendo has?

6YdVWmp

EDIT For some reason I can't get the picture to show up, here is a link to it

Top Bottom