• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

Gorillaz

This will be conflicting for many big channels. Alot of them started on YouTube but its pretty well known how some channels have had some bad blood with them in terms of vids not appearing in subscriptions and the overall pay scale. Twitch for many haw been a fresh start of keeping a tab of there subs.

Wonder which ones will come back "home" now. Might be hilarious

Nista

I would hope that LCS keeps streaming on YouTube as it has already, because the stream stability seems much better than twitch.

I also hope we can support a more mature streaming platform, with less cam begging and spammy chat. :)

DrSlek

I look forward to this. My experience with Twitch has been fucking horrible. Streams stutter and buffer like crazy on my connection, even when they're set to mobile quality.

Horp

I just hope the community/chat will be better. It is almost unbelievable how awful the twitch chat is. I watched a Hearthstone stream for many hours yesterday (I'm home from work with a heavy cold), and just to give you a sample: there was this one guy that typed the same message over and over every 2 seconds for about 4-5 hours. The message was "I FUCKING HATE FARMERS" but with an emoticon between every word.
I mean, it's not horrible in the 4chan gutter-of-mankind-way but in another way were people just seem to be lunatics. Or mentally retarded (NOT used as an insult here, but used for actual likeness with people that are mentally retarded).
I hope youtube gaming will be better.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I just hope the community/chat will be better. It is almost unbelievable how awful the twitch chat is. I watched a Hearthstone stream for many hours yesterday (I'm home from work with a heavy cold), and just to give you a sample: there was this one guy that typed the same message over and over every 2 seconds for about 4-5 hours. The message was "I FUCKING HATE FARMERS" but with an emoticon between every word.
I mean, it's not horrible in the 4chan gutter-of-mankind-way but in another way were people just seem to be lunatics. Or mentally retarded (NOT used as an insult here, but used for actual likeness with people that are mentally retarded).
I hope youtube gaming will be better.

YouTube comments do not strike me as the cream of the crop of online communities... still, we can hope it will be better ;).

Recall

Why must it be an either/or situation? Using two services is fine, two can coexist side by side it doesnt have to be us vs them for everything.

I am a streamer. I stream smash and splatoon almost every weekday. I am not a large stream by any means.

Is there anywhere that can help spell out the differences between the two? Or let me know why I would switch? Isnt the audience still going to go to twitch?

Does Youtube Gaming have subscriptions or some similar "funding model"? More than one youtube personality, that I follow, that also streams has said that Twitch.tv subscriptions are VERY valuable for them. I don't see streamers switching over to Youtube Gaming if it means losing subscriptions.

Froli

lol Youtube and their endless fuck ups. But we will see

I also wonder if Simultaneous streaming both twitch and Youtube gaming would be possible.

Youtube Gaming will have a live content ID system that'll notify you to stop whatever is causing the content to be ID'd? How can they even possibly think they can compete with Twitch with the good old Youtube content ID system affecting streams live? Lol.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

I also wonder if Simultaneous streaming both twitch and Youtube gaming would be possible.

It is possible with website such as restream.io. However, it's not without its problem. One of the streamers here already mentioned the issues he face with using restream.io earlier. For example, having to interact and manage two separate chatrooms will be extremely challenging if you have enough viewers in each stream. Secondly, you're capped at the lowest bitrate accepted by both stream service. Twitch only accepts up to 3,500, so your YouTube stream will be limited to that quality. Since I don't stream on twitch, I have been able to stream 9k bitrate for 1080p60. Excellent quality and also allow for viewers with lower bandwidth to view at a lower visual setting if they cannot handle such high broad width. With twitch, you're stuck with the bitrate set by the streamer.

KyleCross

I think certain people have to be careful for that. I think I've heard of people being banned/losing partnership on Twitch for dual-streaming on them and Hitbox before.

I think this is going to be hilarious if it's an overwhelming success and instantly makes Amazon's billion dollar purchase of Twitch worthless.

The Google me too attitude is annoying. They try to copy everything. The only reason this copy has more chance is because the same obnoxious teenagers that make gaming Youtube videos would stream and beg for donations.

jediyoshi

Does Youtube Gaming have subscriptions or some similar "funding model"? More than one youtube personality, that I follow, that also streams has said that Twitch.tv subscriptions are VERY valuable for them. I don't see streamers switching over to Youtube Gaming if it means losing subscriptions.

Subscription wise, I don't see anything. Just a straight forward donation model ala
https://www.youtube.com/user/KindaFunnyGames

Gonna guess the launch won't include one

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It'll be dead like Hitbox in a month due to all the Twitch streamer partnerships.

One reason why I'm more than willing to jump ship is how stingy Twitch can be when it comes to partnerships. I delete all my stream archives from Twitch and upload them to Youtube ASAP because it's actually not a total pain in the ass to monetize on Youtube like it is on Twitch.

If there's decent, non-intrusive monetezation options for the streamer and features like the quality selector that aren't partner-exclusive like they are on Twitch, it's a no-brainer for mid-level streamers like myself to switch.

I'm sorry, but considering how youtube handled its gaming community via the content flagging system, i have very little faith.

That's why I've always said that since YouTube is moving in on Twitch's territory, Twitch should move in on YouTube's. If they would host user created content and stand up for fair use they could rake in a lot of popular channels.

Fliesen

Seeing as automatically uploading your twitch stream sessions to youtube is a pretty easy deal, i think many streamers will, for now, prefer not putting all their eggs into one basket.

Especially seeing how fast you can go from 'steady revenue' to 'no revenue' on Youtube.

also, does youtube gaming make it easy to visualize your monetization channels beyond pre- and mid-roll ads?
vl62w9g.png
i think these kinds of referrals is what many streamers make much of their revenue from.

I still think the main focus of youtube gaming is to offer some decluttering of the current landscape of gaming channels on youtube. For the Pewdiepies and Markipliers out there, not necessarily the Liriks.

jediyoshi

Don't think Youtube Gaming is up and running yet... ? So maybe whatever new features from Youtube Gaming hasn't been released yet ?

Considering how every definitive feature has already had a soft launch so far out (streaming, donations, game labeling, chat), the idea that they didn't pre-roll out maybe one of the most important features for streamers ahead of launch seems unlikely for launch.

I'm sorry, but considering how youtube handled its gaming community via the content flagging system, i have very little faith.

Yep, my biggest skepticism on YouTube taking this seriously. I'm still glad another big company is going to compete with Twitch, but yeah, YT handles this horribly. Just the recent example of someone posting their inbox full of content flagging, is this what I really have to look forward to if I do this on YouTube?

We can hope. I don't want to have my email box look like this a few times a week anymore:

866137e8b7c4297c1daa864a362d4b49.png

^Literally my email box from this morning, and I could pull various examples of this from various days this last month. Having to go through the process of counter-claiming each one is super tedious.

The worst part is when videos that I already got the claim released gets re-claimed and I dispute and the company let's it go again. That's been happening, along with complete BS claims recently along with legitimate ones, and some companies are mass releasing copyright claims to their games, but others are so slooooow about it.

Akai__

Forgive me if this has been answered but... I have two issues with Twitch.

1. Bitrate cap of 3.5mbps (this wasn't always there, but has been a 'rule' for years).
2. Stream delay of a good 10-20 seconds.

Any word on how YouTube streaming handles these?

1. The Bitrate cap is at ~5000kbit/s on Twitch. 3500 kbit/s are only recommended, because the average user doesn't have good internet. Not sure what the max is for YouTube or what's recommended, but you really don't need more than 3500 kbit/s.
2. Streams always have a delay. The minimum delay is about 7 seconds, probably even with YouTube.

styl3s

Seeing as automatically uploading your twitch stream sessions to youtube is a pretty easy deal, i think many streamers will, for now, prefer not putting all their eggs into one basket.

Especially seeing how fast you can go from 'steady revenue' to 'no revenue' on Youtube.

also, does youtube gaming make it easy to visualize your monetization channels beyond pre- and mid-roll ads?

i think these kinds of referrals is what many streamers make much of their revenue from.

I still think the main focus of youtube gaming is to offer some decluttering of the current landscape of gaming channels on youtube. For the Pewdiepies and Markipliers out there, not necessarily the Liriks.
Why does like every mid-top Twitch user pimp out G2A? I thought that site was notorious for selling stolen keys?

do you still need to make a Google+ account to stream or enable comment replies? because while that's still forced I'm not touching it

as long as youtube cant settle its issues with GEMA, YT Streaming for Germany is futile anyway.
I say we settle this on our own, by nuking the GEMA headquaters and sending all those working for them to an abandoned island.
Freaking digital medieval ages here in Germany ...

So yeah, as long as germans continue being left out cold on streaming with YouTube, i would prefer Twitch staying ... not for some Let's Play stuff, i don't watch that, but for the conference streams @ E³ or GamesCom.

KyleCross

1. The Bitrate cap is at ~5000kbit/s on Twitch. 3500 kbit/s are only recommended, because the average user doesn't have good internet. Not sure what the max is for YouTube or what's recommended, but you really don't need more than 3500 kbit/s.
2. Streams always have a delay. The minimum delay is about 7 seconds, probably even with YouTube.

No, I'm pretty sure the 3.5mbps is pretty strict. I hear Twitch can flag your channel if you're taking up much more than that. Also no, 3.5mbps is NOT enough. A 60fps stream at a high-resolution of a fast motion game looks really bad at that bitrate.

I know they always have a delay, but it isn't universal. Back in the day Twitch use to be pretty damn quick, and Hitbox is also damn quick. Just curious how fast YouTube is in comparison.
do you still need to make a Google+ account to stream or enable comment replies? because while that's still forced I'm not touching it

I believe Google+ is currently in the process of being phased out. No clue when tho, or if it is still required to have. Either way, why is it such a big deal for you to avoid?

I know they always have a delay, but it isn't universal. Back in the day Twitch use to be pretty damn quick, and Hitbox is also damn quick. Just curious how fast YouTube is in comparison.

I find the YouTube delay to be pretty quick, a friend of mine also streams on YouTube, and he constantly has a massive delay. I'm not sure why there is a difference there. Though, he uses a VPN when streaming. Perhaps that's what is slowing him down.

You can test it yourself without going live BTW. If you go here you can set up a private stream, so that only you can see it. that way you can see how the sound is, and do all the testing that you need without going live.

I always feel bad when I'm testing something and people show up to watch, I'm like sorry guys, not a real stream. So that's definitely a benefit.

It should be noted that I'm unsure if this max applies to ads which is bloody annoying when an ad loads as you get hit on bitrate for both the ad and the video which on my soon to be replaced connection means an ad of high bitrate could take over a minute to watch (in these circumstances hitting refresh for a less bandwidth intensive ad is what I do). The ad quality is also independent of video quality (like come on twitch I'm on low quality to save bandwidth and you play a high quality ad).

Akai__

No, I'm pretty sure the 3.5mbps is pretty strict. I hear Twitch can flag your channel if you're taking up much more than that. Also no, 3.5mbps is NOT enough. A 60fps stream at a high-resolution of a fast motion game looks really bad at that bitrate.

I have seen several partners streaming above 3500 kbit/s. So, I'm not entirely sure if Twitch really flags channels because of that. Maybe they do that only for non-partners?

Anyways, if you want to stream above 3500kbit/s and YouTube allows it, you should know that you are likely to not get as many viewers, if there are no quality options with a lower bitrate. According to Twitch's last survey, people have an average download speed of 2mbit/s. And I doubt it will be much different for the average YouTube viewer. If you don't care about that, then there should be no issue.

And I was reffering to "back in the day Twitch" with the delay. The minimum delay was 7 seconds, because it took that long to send the stream to the server and then to the user. Not sure if it can be faster, but that was still pretty good. I hate the current delay.

It should be noted that I'm unsure if this max applies to ads which is bloody annoying when an ad loads as you get hit on bitrate for both the ad and the video which on my soon to be replaced connection means an ad of high bitrate could take over a minute to watch (in these circumstances hitting refresh for a less bandwidth intensive ad is what I do). The ad quality is also independent of video quality (like come on twitch I'm on low quality to save bandwidth and you play a high quality ad).

What? Don't you think it's awesome to watch the same 5 minute WoW ad (with increased bitrate of course) for several times? :p

I believe Google+ is currently in the process of being phased out. No clue when tho, or if it is still required to have. Either way, why is it such a big deal for you to avoid?

I just don't want to have more profiles and logins on the internet right now, i've done my best to avoid it and for the last two years and it's forced on you if you try to do anything with youtube currently, if you go into your settings to enable streaming services you have to either merge you google profiles and agree to making a google+ page or opt out.

Same for youtube replies, it may not require your google+ name any longer but to even post a reply you need to do the account thing which forces a google+ into your hands, and this is on an account made for youtube with adsense enabled from several years back.

RyuHei

I find the YouTube delay to be pretty quick, a friend of mine also streams on YouTube, and he constantly has a massive delay. I'm not sure why there is a difference there. Though, he uses a VPN when streaming. Perhaps that's what is slowing him down.

You can test it yourself without going live BTW. If you go here you can set up a private stream, so that only you can see it. that way you can see how the sound is, and do all the testing that you need without going live.

I always feel bad when I'm testing something and people show up to watch, I'm like sorry guys, not a real stream. So that's definitely a benefit.

Youtube livestream has a forced 1 min delay. I don't think you can change that. Twitch, I fall between 7-20 seconds delay. Hitbox, 5-12 seconds. The fastest I've seen is niconico, 1-4 seconds. But niconico quality is super bad, low resolution, macropixels.

Akai__

Youtube livestream has a forced 1 min delay. I don't think you can change that. Twitch, I fall between 7-20 seconds delay. Hitbox, 5-12 seconds. The fastest I've seen is niconico, 1-4 seconds. But niconico quality is super bad, low resolution, macropixels.

What? That's pretty bad, if true. lol

Top Bottom