• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Gaming set to launch... TOMORROW !

Youtube livestream has a forced 1 min delay. I don't think you can change that. Twitch, I fall between 7-20 seconds delay. Hitbox, 5-12 seconds. The fastest I've seen is niconico, 1-4 seconds. But niconico quality is super bad, low resolution, macropixels.

I'd like to see where this is officially posted, I've not done any scientific testing, but I'm fairly certain that my delay is less than a minute.

KyleCross

Anyways, if you want to stream above 3500kbit/s and YouTube allows it, you should know that you are likely to not get as many viewers, if there are no quality options with a lower bitrate. According to Twitch's last survey, people have an average download speed of 2mbit/s. And I doubt it will be much different for the average YouTube viewer. If you don't care about that, then there should be no issue.

This is irrelevant when it comes to YouTube. While Twitch requires you to be of a certain degree of popularity to get the transcoding menu that allows users to pick the quality of your stream, YouTube does not. Every stream has it, just like every YouTube video. So yes, I can stream in 1080p 60fps at a high-bitrate and if it proves too much for someones connection they can drop down to 720p 60fps or even 480p 30fps.

This is irrelevant when it comes to YouTube. While Twitch requires you to be of a certain degree of popularity to get the transcoding menu that allows users to pick the quality of your stream, YouTube does not. Every stream has it, just like every YouTube video. So yes, I can stream in 1080p 60fps at a high-bitrate and if it proves too much for someones connection they can drop down to 720p 60fps or even 480p 30fps.

YouTube also picks it automatically for them based on their speed, so they don't even have to choose a lower bitrate.

KyleCross

YouTube also picks it automatically for them based on their speed, so they don't even have to choose a lower bitrate.

Yeah, I always found YouTube to be unreliable in that regard. Despite choosing the best options in my preferences it would often auto me down at 360p or something despite having 70mbps+ download. I ultimately installed a Chrome plugin called "Magic Actions for YouTube" which among other things allows me to force the player to always play any quality I want (setting it to Ultra for example will pick the highest quality option for that video). I highly recommend that plugin for anyone who watches YouTube a lot, has some pretty awesome functions. Sadly I often have to turn "Force HTML5" off in it because live streams don't work when it is on.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
With this thread on my mind, I decided to give Youtube streaming a test run for the first time.

Pros:
- Higher bitrate cap (9000 vs 3500)
- Resolution/quality selector (can't get this on Twitch without being a partner)
- Ad rolls (can't get this on Twitch without being a partner)

Cons:
- Have to stream at 720p or higher to get 60fps, just like with VODs. This is annoying for retro games, as it requires that you needlessly up the resolution just to get the proper framerate.
- Stream delay seems roughly the same as Twitch.

Since actually getting a Twitch partnership is a pain in the ass without being a "name" or having connections, I think there's some appeal in Youtube's service for anyone who hasn't already carved out a sizable niche at Twitch.

With this thread on my mind, I decided to give Youtube streaming a test run for the first time.

Pros:
- Higher bitrate cap (9000 vs 3500)
- Resolution/quality selector (can't get this on Twitch without being a partner)
- Ad rolls (can't get this on Twitch without being a partner)

Cons:
- Have to stream at 720p or higher to get 60fps, just like with VODs. This is annoying for retro games, as it requires that you needlessly up the resolution just to get the proper framerate.
- Stream delay seems roughly the same as Twitch.

Since actually getting a Twitch partnership is a pain in the ass without being a "name" or having connections, I think there's some appeal in Youtube's service for anyone who hasn't already carved out a sizable niche at Twitch.

Thats pretty good to hear. It can be a great startup for people wanting to get in and not worrying about partnerships.

Sixfortyfive

I also made it a point to stream Super Mario Bros 3 because I knew it would be a prime target for ContentID matches. (Nintendo isn't fierce about claiming videos for all of their games, but Mario is a surefire bet for a match.) Once the stream was over and the archives were processed, sure enough, it got hit with several matches and had monetization stripped from it, but that would have been the case when uploading/transferring a stream archive from Twitch anyway. There didn't seem to be any restrictions during the actual stream. I might try it again and watch from a different account to make sure that I see and hear what the audience does.

J-Skee

I also made it a point to stream Super Mario Bros 3 because I knew it would be a prime target for ContentID matches. (Nintendo isn't fierce about claiming videos for all of their games, but Mario is a surefire bet for a match.) Once the stream was over and the archives were processed, sure enough, it got hit with several matches and had monetization stripped from it, but that would have been the case when uploading/transferring a stream archive from Twitch anyway. There didn't seem to be any restrictions during the actual stream. I might try it again and watch from a different account to make sure that I see and hear what the audience does.

That's going to piss a lot of people off to the point where no one is going to even bother streaming Nintendo games. Which is a shame, because Super Mario Maker has huge streaming potential.

Sixfortyfive

That's going to piss a lot of people off to the point where no one is going to even bother streaming Nintendo games. Which is a shame, because Super Mario Maker has huge streaming potential.

Nintendo does have that Creators Program, which is a somewhat irritating hoop to jump through and leaves a lot to be desired, but still better than nothing. I think I'll go ahead and enlist this video on my NCP account just to see if the turnaround time is no longer as abysmal as it was at launch.

Mastperf

Will the PS4 update come with an actual app or will it just give the ability to stream to Youtube? I would like to enjoy the 60fps streams on my PS4 if possible.

Just tested YouTube's streaming beta by playing co-op with a friend on Saints Row IV on the PC (using Open Broadcaster Software). Played at 1080p, 60 FPS with a bitrate of 9000 and Nvidia's NVENC encoder. I noticed a performance hit in the game, which might be because I was also recording an offline copy in case something went bad with the stream. When I just record offline, I can record with a bitrate of 50000 at 1080p, 60 FPS with no perceptible performance hit. YouTube is processing the stream archive now so I'll have a look at it to see if I should lower my bitrate or anything.

It has a stream quality indicator at the top of the streaming dashboard when you're live. I noticed it would go from green to orange every so often. My bitrate may just be too high. I'll only know with more testing.

I could also choose to play an ad whenever I wanted to.

Justified

This, and do we need to create new channels for this?

I think the app is live now.

You dont need a new channel. I've been in the beta for about 2 weeks now.

The beta Im in is kind of limited I guess. I can view, and go "Live" but know not within Gaming Youtube. When I click go live it sends me to the regular YouTube streaming method

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm in Canada and have been using Live Stream BETA for a while now. Does using it means I can be searched through YouTube Gaming or not really?

Bluenoser

I never watch Twitch because anything that moves becomes blurry and pixelated. When standing still it looks fine, but the quality is such shit. I can't understand why it's so popular. By comparison, YT gaming doesn't have this problem.

Aeana

I never watch Twitch because anything that moves becomes blurry and pixelated. When standing still it looks fine, but the quality is such shit. I can't understand why it's so popular. By comparison, YT gaming doesn't have this problem.

Your folly is assuming it's like that for everyone. It certainly isn't like that for me, especially if the stream has a 'source' quality option.

Bluenoser

Your folly is assuming it's like that for everyone. It certainly isn't like that for me, especially if the stream has a 'source' quality option.

Happens with almost every channel I watch, but I suppose it could be due to the streamers. It's definitely not my connection.

NetMapel

Happens with almost every channel I watch, but I suppose it could be due to the streamers. It's definitely not my connection.
I think you need to be a twitch partner to be able to stream at higher quality. With YouTube, you don't have to be so you can stream very high quality videos immediately if your computer can handle it.

Bluenoser

I think you need to be a twitch partner to be able to stream at higher quality. With YouTube, you don't have to be so you can stream very high quality videos immediately if your computer can handle it.

That explains it. Advantage Youtube then I guess?

NetMapel

That explains it. Advantage Youtube then I guess?

If there is one thing that is definitely better comparatively speaking for Youtube, it's their player. Their player is light year ahead of that mess of a player-wanna-be from Twitch.

TalonJH

You can stream at higher qualities on Twitch without a partnership but because you have no quality selector, a lot of people can't watch you. Now you can stream at a even higher bitrate with YT without worrying about it.

burnfout

Works fucking awesome. Installed on my phone. Got a notification that Jackfrags was livestreaming Gears of War.

Watching on my phone while at work, no lag.

Miles ahead of that POS Twitch for me ( In the Netherlands)

NetMapel

When Youtube Gaming is indeed fully launched on the website and all, can mods maybe change my topic title or something to reflect that ? I will also try to update the OP with some more info too when it fully launches.

Nintendo does have that Creators Program, which is a somewhat irritating hoop to jump through and leaves a lot to be desired, but still better than nothing. I think I'll go ahead and enlist this video on my NCP account just to see if the turnaround time is no longer as abysmal as it was at launch.

I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember that in order to do NCP you have to be Exclusive Nintendo stuff.

El Sloth

Banned
What channels do you get this problem with? Are you watching on mobile?

This is definitely not the norm. Otherwise who would ever watch anything on Twitch

jediyoshi

It's up on desktop.

Oh boy, transition animations, timing based popouts, transparencies, they somehow made it more unwieldy than the mobile app.

Top Bottom