• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys - Celceta, Sea of Trees announced for Vita

Foffy

Banned
Fuck yes, my body is ready.

Aren't IV and V the weakest games in the series? They weren't made by Falcom.

Johnas

Any Ys news is good news, imo.

I know a localization is years off, but hopefully XSeed will come to the rescue again.

Khold said:
I feel ashamed for asking but what is YS? JRPG series? What's it most similar to?

Action RPG series that has been around since the late eighties. Awesome soundtracks.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Phenomic said:
Oh dear all things holy I hope Xseed gets there hands on this one also. The Falcom deal wasn't limited to PSP only was it?
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure XSEED will be all over this.

RomanticHeroX said:
I just bought a Vita. Still rather it be more Felghana than 7.
Hope an Origin port is also on the way for the best of both worlds?

Salaadin

So what are the prime differences between Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys?
Dawn if Ys is the canon story? So where does Mask of the Sun fall into this? Why are they both Ys 4?

Aeana said:
In this week's Famitsu, a remake of Ys 4 (most likely Dawn of Ys, as that is the canon story) has been announced for Vita. It'll use Ys 7's party system.

Get hyped, get hyped!

It'll use Ys 7's party system

obama-and-people.jpg

This has cemented my Vita purchase. It's a beautiful day to be alive

Well. I guess I'm stuck getting a Vita. Sigh.

But this has been needed for SO long. Neither version of Ys IV is any good.

Aeana said:
(most likely Dawn of Ys, as that is the canon story)
Actually, Mask of the Sun is the canon version.

Varion

Khold said:
I feel ashamed for asking but what is YS?
It's a series of action RPGs which chronicles the tales of a silent red haired adventurer who goes adventuring, kills monsters, saves countries, wins over the hearts of the local girls... then leaves immediately afterwards seeking more adventures.

They're all fairly short at 10 hours or so, but in particular the most recent installments are fantastic. Ys 7 and Oath in Felghana have been localised on the PSP by XSEED and are worth looking into if you're in to handheld action RPGs.

Varion said:
It's a series of action RPGs which chronicles the tales of a silent red haired adventurer who goes adventuring, kills monsters, saves countries, wins over the hearts of the local girls... then leaves immediately afterwards seeking more adventures.

They're all fairly short at 10 hours or so, but in particular the most recent installments are fantastic. Ys 7 and Oath in Felghana have been localised on the PSP by XSEED and are worth looking into if you're in to handheld action RPGs.
I don't recall ys seven being that short...

Phenomic said:
Oh dear all things holy I hope Xseed gets there hands on this one also. The Falcom deal wasn't limited to PSP only was it?

Technically the initial deal was "limited" to the three Ys games and the Trails in the Sky trilogy (from everything that's been said publicly), but it seems like XSEED and Falcom have a really great relationship so I wouldn't be surprised to see this come over from XSEED at all, especially with an Ys nut like Tom as part of the XSEED crew now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sounds good to me.
Ys 7 is pretty good.
So is Trails in the Sky.

*Yeah Tom reallllllllllly likes Ys.

Aeana

Foffy said:
Fuck yes, my body is ready.

Aren't IV and V the weakest games in the series? They weren't made by Falcom.
5 was made by Falcom.
3 and 5 are by far the weakest.
Both versions of 4 are good.

Varion

-Pyromaniac- said:
I don't recall ys seven being that short...
I can't even remember how long 7 was now, but yeah I forgot about that one. Somehow.

All the others have been like 10 hours though (although technically Origin's 3 x 10 hours because you need all three routes for the whole plot)

SpaceDrake said:
especially with an Ys nut like Tom as part of the XSEED crew now.
Tom's been wanting a remake of Ys 4 with Ys 7's party system for ages now as far as I remember so yeah, he's probably jumping around XSEED's office like a lunatic right this minute.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
YES. YES YES YES.

EXCITE. Excited for the new arrangements too (please let us have the options of using the PCE music as well).

Aeana said:
Also this is full of lies.
I've never been able to finish either version, sorry.

And I've replayed every other Ys game (except for V), a dozen times.

Oh, and Seven. Since it's too long.

Eusis

SpaceDrake said:
Technically the initial deal was "limited" to the three Ys games and the Trails in the Sky trilogy (from everything that's been said publicly), but it seems like XSEED and Falcom have a really great relationship so I wouldn't be surprised to see this come over from XSEED at all, especially with an Ys nut like Tom as part of the XSEED crew now.
And the fact that if this comes quickly enough Xseed has a great opportunity to capitalize on with the Vita. Fresh new system, people eager for good games, wouldn't surprise me if this ended up doing a lot better than the PSP games, or at least roughly the same.

Nix

Banned
Linkzg said:
Ys 7 was close to 30 hours for me (I think 27 hours on the clock)

Ys Oath PSP was less than half that (but a better game)
Debatable, but Oath did feel like a longer game; must have been the pacing and 'fuck you' boss battles.

I loved Ys7's battle system, so I'm excited they're going back to it. Best day ever!

Slime

Banned
I don't think anything else can be announced at TGS that can top this for me. I can't remember how long I've been waiting for this, but it's been forever. Need to see it nowww.

jackdoe

Nix said:
Debatable, but Oath did feel like a longer game; must have been the pacing and 'fuck you' boss battles.

I loved Ys7's battle system, so I'm excited they're going back to it. Best day ever!
I don't know, I felt Oath was pretty fair. Ys I's final boss would have pissed me off though if I hadn't inadvertently read that I shouldn't equip the best weapons in the game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nope, no hype, unless an English PC release is also announced.

Has no one told Falcom about Steam?

Aeana

Syril said:
That's the fourth version of Ys IV. Keep it up, and you'll beat Lunar.
And the first one Falcom themselves has ever made.

Also, it's the third, because Taito never made a disaster for PS2. Okay?

Drkirby said:
Nope, no hype, unless an English PC release is also announced.

Has no one told Falcom about Steam?
Falcom got way better sales on PSP than they had on PC in a long time. They're done with PC.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Aeana said:
And the first one Falcom themselves has ever made.

Also, it's the third, because Taito never made a disaster for PS2. Okay?

Falcom got way better sales on PSP than they had on PC in a long time. They're done with PC.
Sadly, it is likely true. I am still hoping someone manages to get some Falcom games on Steam, in English, and they are smash hits.

Varion

jackdoe said:
I don't know, I felt Oath was pretty fair. Ys I's final boss would have pissed me off though if I hadn't inadvertently read that I shouldn't equip the best weapons in the game.
Ys I's final boss felt more like luck than anything else last time I did it.

Personally the difficulty was one of the things I loved most about Felghana. It was challenging but not cheap, if you learned the patterns and fought well then you could do it and it felt really satisfying to win.

And on that note after this they really need to port Origin next (between making original titles, obviously). Everything that was awesome about Felghana's gameplay and bosses, except made awesomer. So good.

jackdoe

Varion said:
Ys I's final boss felt more like luck than anything else last time I did it.

Personally the difficulty was one of the things I loved most about Felghana. It was challenging but not cheap, if you learned the patterns and fought well then you could do it and it felt really satisfying to win.
Ys I's final boss wasn't the most frustrating though, it was actually quite tame. That freaking Bat boss almost made me give up. None of the bosses in Felghana or 7 did that.

Varion

jackdoe said:
Ys I's final boss wasn't the most frustrating though, it was actually quite tame. That freaking Bat boss almost made me give up. None of the bosses in Felghana or 7 did that.
Vagullion actually did make me give up the first time. I think I set the difficulty to hard or something thinking it wouldn't be that bad, and then I just gave up after about 10 tries on that one.

Made sure to set the difficulty to normal when I redid it for Chronicles, and it still wasn't an easy fight. Hate that thing.

PGxkN.jpg

fuuuuuck yeah mask of the sun and dawn of ys were pretty cool, been wanting an awesome remake since i played them. would have preferred a felghana/origin gameplay system, but this also works

also, WYRDWAD TOOOOOOOOOM

Top Bottom