• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys - Celceta, Sea of Trees announced for Vita

duckroll

0ODWu.jpg

DyDau.jpg

4BJb7.jpg

rvyPV.jpg

o2B4f.jpg

Hmm, not as pretty as I was expecting from a Vita game, but still awesome.

Who the hell is the white-haired guy though, that isn't Dogi. :O First new party member confirmed!

Also looks like they've been mucking with Karna's design a whole lot.

Also also I love Adol's huge sword and new blazer look. Fuck I'm pumped already.

SalsaShark said:
id prefer a new one, but cool!

Honestly, this is to Ys IV what Oath in Felghana was to Ys III: a desperately needed remake from Falcom themselves. They've never actually made their own version of Ys IV; it will be nice to see the team's original vision realized.

jackdoe

SpaceDrake said:
Hmm, not as pretty as I was expecting from a Vita game, but still awesome.

Who the hell is the white-haired guy though, that isn't Dogi. :O First new party member confirmed!

Also looks like they've been mucking with Karna's design a whole lot.

Also also I love Adol's huge sword and new blazer look. Fuck I'm pumped already.
Haha. He looks like Yuri from Vesperia.

Aeana said:
It looks just like Ys 7, so that's pretty unimpressive. Oh well.
Minus the dithering with larger environments. I'm personally pleased with the end results. Falcom isn't going to be chucking large amounts of cash and use super advanced shaders to compete with a game like Uncharted.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This must've been in development for PSP for a little while before it was moved. It looks exactly like Ys 7 with a larger scope.

jackdoe said:
Haha. He looks like Yuri from Vesperia.

Man you say that like it's a bad thing.

Minus the dithering with larger environments. I'm personally pleased with the end results. Falcom isn't going to be chucking large amounts of cash and use super advanced shaders to compete with a game like Uncharted.

The dithering is the one thing I don't get; that's caused by the PSP not having the memory/horsepower to do 32-bit color quite right. It shouldn't be an issue on the Vita, so what the hell is up with that.

nincompoop said:
That's just the PSP version upscaled to Vita resolution, right? ...Right? :(

Niche publishers like Falcom simply can't afford the budgets to develop games to a significantly higher graphical standard than the PS2/PSP/3DS range, so this sort of thing is going to be fairly common. We've seen that on PS3 for a while now.

hauton

jj984jj said:
This must've been in development for PSP for a little while before it was moved. It looks exactly like Ys 7 with a larger scope.
This is exactly what's happened IMO

Given the 2012 release date and Falcom's regular dev schedule I would say this will be pretty close to the finished product - maybe they'll fit in quick and easy improvements in visual quality, but no engine overhaul or anything substantial.

Still, super duper excited (who played Ys for gr4phx? Portrait pictures aside, of course)

jackdoe

SpaceDrake said:
The dithering is the one thing I don't get; that's caused by the PSP not having the memory/horsepower to do 32-bit color quite right. It shouldn't be an issue on the Vita, so what the hell is up with that.
That's not dithering in the screenshots. That's horrible JPEG compression that JP gaming websites love to do to their pics.

yeah, that had to be a PSP game at one point

I'd be fine if it's 60fps with near perfect image quality, but those shots are baaad.

game will still kick ass

magawolaz

Look at the HUD; the screenshots are low quality.

Anyway I don't like Ys that much. But I'm looking forward to a new The Legend of Heroes (Trails in the Sky was amazing).

That's awesome news, I'm looking forward to a Falcom made Ys IV.

But damn, it's hard to sell a system with that. It really looks like an upscaled (?) PSP game.

it does look like it was made for PSP originally, but i'm sure it will look a whole lot better in motion. it's hard to pull new people in with these screenshots though.

no matter, i'm super pumped and adol's new costume is neat. can't wait to taste the newly arranged music too......

kuroshiki said:
YS games has been always awesome kick ass music with super speed action.

Play YS7 and see and listen what I mean.
At least after the first 40 minutes of wandering around town before they let you out :) Ys 7 had the worst intro ever, longest time until combat by far. After that it got awesome, though...

Suzzopher

Awesome! I have never played Ys IV before. This is the game I was hoping to be announced. Should tide us over nicely until Ys 8 :)

Espada

Oh god, yes! I loved Ys VII and its party system, and to have another game on the way using the same one? Day 1.

krYlon

This is what I've been waiting for. Falcom always deliver!!
I think I'm going to play Dawn of Ys in anticipation

wrowa

Well, that might be the ugliest Vita game yet. Looks like it was meant to be a PSP game one day.

That being said, it's Ys. And Ys is awesome.

Foffy

Banned
wrowa said:
Well, that might be the ugliest Vita game yet. Looks like it was meant to be a PSP game one day.

That being said, it's Ys. And Ys is awesome.

Shinobido 2 is the ugliest game on Vita. But these games have reasons for not being Uncharted.

kiryogi

Banned
PixyJunket said:
Oh God. Those screenshots. Why did they not just keep it on PSP?!

This is a new one. Basically. Ys IV has never actually been made by Falcom.

This... and as neat as the news is, visually this is something that's not very Vita worthy. Was this a PSP up port?

I know it's first gen, but this is practically PSP level here.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looks like a PSP game but whatevs, I'll platinum the fuck out off this game.

Durante

Dear Japanese developer,

thank you for developing a Playstation Vita game. You may not be aware of it, but for over a decade now a rendering method called MSAA has existed that can improve your game's image quality. It does so by taking multiple samples for each pixel with slightly different offsets and averaging them for edge pixels. This reduces the aliasing artifacts introduced by the fixed resolution sampling required to render an image.

Playstation Vita features a PowerVR SGX graphics architecture, which uses tile-based deferred rendering. On such an architecture the whole scene is divided into tiles and rendered in an on-chip buffer, greatly reducing external memory bandwidth needs. All this happens automatically and in hardware. What does this mean for you? It means that the performance impact of enabling MSAA is minimal and well worth the massive image quality improvements.

Please, think of the pixels, use MSAA.
Best Regards,
Durante

PS: Anisotropic texture filtering is also a great thing. I can send you more information if you like.

Top Bottom