• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeeeeah I'm not too sure if I would want to go through the same tower 3 times. For now anyway.

From what I've read the unlocked character's route is the true route?

So, would y'all recommend I wait until later to get an Xbone pad or spring for a cheaper 360 one knowing it has a less-than-stellar D-pad? I have plenty other games that could use it, but I want to know how essential a MS or Sony pad will be for the Ys VI-derived titles.

Psxphile

So, would y'all recommend I wait until later to get an Xbone pad or spring for a cheaper 360 one knowing it has a less-than-stellar D-pad? I have plenty other games that could use it, but I want to know how essential a MS or Sony pad will be for the Ys VI-derived titles.

I used to play the Ys games w/ a (wired) 360 pad back in the beginning, until the cord crapped out. Worked okay, seeing as you can just use the analog stick for all of them. Though I preferred playing Ys I & II with the directional pad, which wasn't a problem since I modded the d-pad to be tighter. Clickety-click.

Nowadays I use a PS3 controller paired with a Mayflash adapter. Works just as good.

That 360 d-pad is the real Nighmare Mode, especially with the Jump Dash from VI. Avoid it.

Rhapsody

Banned
I've been using a Wii U controller (its analog) for my Steam games. It's not too bad outside of not inputting dash fast enough on some boss fights. Luckily the controller feels comfortable and I rarely have to charge it. I'd use my PS3 controller but Steam doesn't recognize my controller while emulators are fine. I'll pick up a Dualshock 4 one of these days to make things easy.

On a side note, I finished Oath in Felghana. Probably my favorite Ys game so far. I have Origin, Seven, and V to still go through, but I'm really excited about Origin. Oath had some of the best boss fights in the series. I couldn't rest easy on any of the boss fights and they had some pretty amazing attack patterns. Looking forward to seeing how Origin handles bosses.

Origin is next, but I'm going to take a break and start on Trails.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Origin's bosses are bigger, flashier, but (at least in my opinion) easier. I haven't given it a serious shot on Nightmare though.

Antiwhippy

God, playing the unlockable character right now and I'm already dreading the fights where I pretty much just spammed the phoenix projectile with yunica.

God, playing the unlockable character right now and I'm already dreading the fights where I pretty much just spammed the phoenix projectile with yunica.
You just have to master him well. Personally I had the easiest time with Hugo, but the most fun with the unlocked character. His dash and inferno are amazing once you can get used to it.

Hugo is by far the easiest character to beat 90% of the game with. I mean his first spell makes him invincible and his main attack is a projectile. It's fairly easy to never take damage in some of the Hugo boss fights.

Antiwhippy

I'm not talking about Hugo though. I'm talking about
Toal.

Turned out to be fairly easy the second time through anyway, seeing that I've already learned the patterns (except for the last boss, which was kind of a pain in the ass). Yeah he was really fun to play with. Thank god for guard points with the inferno.
Also man, do we ever know if Toal ever meets up with Reah again? The whole ordeal kinda sucked for him.

I'm not talking about Hugo though. I'm talking about
Toal.

Turned out to be fairly easy the second time through anyway, seeing that I've already learned the patterns (except for the last boss, which was kind of a pain in the ass). Yeah he was really fun to play with. Thank god for guard points with the inferno.
Also man, do we ever know if Toal ever meets up with Reah again? The whole ordeal kinda sucked for him.

If you played ys 1&2 you'd know the answer
-----no------

Antiwhippy

Well I just marathoned through most of Ys 1. Didn't take that long actually. Maybe 5 hours at most.

And I say most because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Dark Fact. FUCK HIM.

The two head bosses, having to backtrack all the way back (through 2 of those fucking mirror mazes) to get some fucking necklace from that guy, and then Dark fucking Fact is like a trifecta of shit at the end that's really making me sour on the game.

Almost thinking of youtubing the end of the game and just move on to 2 on easy because I do not want to deal with a fight like dark fact ever again.

Well I just marathoned through most of Ys 1. Didn't take that long actually. Maybe 5 hours at most.

And I say most because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Dark Fact. FUCK HIM.

The two head bosses, having to backtrack all the way back (through 2 of those fucking mirror mazes) to get some fucking necklace from that guy, and then Dark fucking Fact is like a trifecta of shit at the end that's really making me sour on the game.

Almost thinking of youtubing the end of the game and just move on to 2 on easy because I do not want to deal with a fight like dark fact ever again.

There are no fights like Dark Fact in Ys 2 or any other Ys game, in fact most Ys 2 fights make use of a new mechanic
shooting fire balls
for most battles

Antiwhippy

Argh, I dunno man, my mind is still in extreme annoyance mode right now, and while I've mostly enjoyed my time with Ys 1, even the bump mechanics, I just can't help but think that I don't want to go through that again.

I even thought the twin head boss was pretty alright after all is said and done, but I can see no scenario where Dark Fact is a fun and rewarding fight. I know I'm still in extreme annoyance mode right now but I can't think of a boss fight I've played worse than this one.

I think I'll just move onto Ys 2 right now. Just can't see myself beating him that isn't me just going through an RNG of hoping that I can get him to not box me into an area and also hoping that I kill him fast enough that those fireballs don't get me.

Also from what I've read the PC version of dark fact is harder than the PSP version?

Also from what I've read the PC version of dark fact is harder than the PSP version?
In general the Eternal, Complete, and Chronicles versions of Dark Fact are faster than in the J-PC originals, which is the crux of the frustration most players have with him. Just being able to play the battle more slowly, even with delayed movement for Adol, makes it easier to process everything. "Complete", sure, but no version of Ys I can be called definitive until either the boss is redesigned or slowed down back to 1987.

Unrelated, but I am really enjoying my time with Xanadu Next, which has a bit of Ys, Vagrant Story, and Diablo mixed together. The spider boss is much like something out of Ys II, though I don't like its hitbox much.

FUCK YOU DARK FACT!

The hatred towards Dark Fact always makes me smile.

A true final boss.

Ys II is different than I. Give it your best! :)

In general the Eternal, Complete, and Chronicles versions of Dark Fact are faster than in the J-PC originals, which is the crux of the frustration most players have with him. Just being able to play the battle more slowly, even with delayed movement for Adol, makes it easier to process everything. "Complete", sure, but no version of Ys I can be called definitive until either the boss is redesigned or slowed down back to 1987.

Unrelated, but I am really enjoying my time with Xanadu Next, which has a bit of Ys, Vagrant Story, and Diablo mixed together. The spider boss is much like something out of Ys II, though I don't like its hitbox much.

So which of them are the reinforcements?

BTW: that one name-drop accellerated my desire for that four-fold.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't give up on Ys 2 before you start it. That's probably the worst thing about Ys 1 - the possibility that it puts people off playing the dramatically better sequel. And Ys 1, for the most part, isn't even bad. It's just that 2 is that good. Up there with Felghana and Origin for me.

Antiwhippy

I just broke through the barrier blocking me from completing ys 1, so now I can move onto ys 2 with closure at least.

But holy shit that was quite possibly the most bullshit I've encountered from a boss in any game.

Usobuko

Banned
Just beat the game.

The Catastrophe Mode in Ys VI Ark of Napishtim meant that all the healing items are gone from the game except being drops from monster ( and auto-use asap as a result )? No wonder ( non catastrophe ) hard mode was kinda easy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't even want to think about Dark Fact on Nightmare. I must say though, having him gate keeping players from Ys II made playing the sequel so much more worth it. I haven't heard of anyone wanting to stop after finishing the first game either. Everyone I knew just jumped right into the second.

Just finished Xanadu Next...I started it on a whim and found it more than irrepressible. The fan translation sounds great at least (Tom started it while Tancients, currently working on the Zwei games, adopted it)—XSEED should pay for usage, edit the hacking-related bugs and some parts of the script, and get the game out on Steam and GOG ASAP. Great mix of games like Revenant, Vagrant Story, and Ys!

kama

Just finished Xanadu Next...I started it on a whim and found it more than irrepressible. The fan translation sounds great at least (Tom started it while Tancients, currently working on the Zwei games, adopted it)—XSEED should pay for usage, edit the hacking-related bugs and some parts of the script, and get the game out on Steam and GOG ASAP. Great mix of games like Revenant, Vagrant Story, and Ys!

For me it's been the opposite. Despite the immensely addicting gameplay I've been very careful not to rush through the game in a few sessions. I feel that this is a very special game that I want to savour in small chunks. It's nice to know that when none of the games at my disposal fit my mood there's always more Xanadu Next waiting for me. It's just a wonderful blend of Zelda, Diablo and Vagrant Story. Even the music has elements that remind me of Hitoshi Sakimoto. I also appreciate the numerous callbacks to the original Xanadu, both in terms of gameplay and lore.

Antiwhippy

Do you know how there are bosses in Ys 2 where you have to run around so you don't get pressed into a corner by projectiles, and the best way to do it sometimes is to hug the walls?

Do you know how you can exit the boss room anytime?

Do you know how doing so will cause the fight to reset?

Do you know how that is garbage?

kama

Do you know how there are bosses in Ys 2 where you have to run around so you don't get pressed into a corner by projectiles, and the best way to do it sometimes is to hug the walls?

Do you know how that is also a thing that can happen in Xanadu Next?

Antiwhippy

That is not encouraging me to play xanadu next!

Nah I am loving Ys 2 honestly, it's just those small moments of frustration that I need to vent out.

I think only the first boss has that dumb design whete you can accidentally leave the boss room

Antiwhippy

Had some trouble with that during the Zava fight. Goddamn bats.

Welp, just finished it anyway. Really, really good, and so much better than 1, though I liked 1. Had no idea what shield magic did though, equiped it for the last boss (because that's when you get it) and it pretty much made him a pushover.

I guess I'll move onto Oath of Felghana next, but I think I need a Ys break for now.

Also the ending is hilarious to me.
Adol, after a heart-wrenching scene with Feena who loved him but have to turn into a statue, in no time at all moved onto lilia. Goddamn Adol.

Also being goddesses sure suck. Both have to be wrenched away from the love of their lives to become statues holding a crystal ball for eternity. Bummer.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think only the first boss has that dumb design whete you can accidentally leave the boss room
I think I recall the boss in Solomon Shrine letting you too. First boss letting you leave the boss room is sort of a necessity though since you could enter without the fire spell.

Luckily I never had any issue with accidentally leaving the room.

KHlover

Banned
Had some trouble with that during the Zava fight. Goddamn bats.

Welp, just finished it anyway. Really, really good, and so much better than 1, though I liked 1. Had no idea what shield magic did though, equiped it for the last boss (because that's when you get it) and it pretty much made him a pushover.

I guess I'll move onto Oath of Felghana next, but I think I need a Ys break for now.

Adol, after a heart-wrenching scene with Feena who loved him but have to turn into a statue, in no time at all moved onto lilia. Goddamn Adol.

Also being goddesses sure suck. Both have to be wrenched away from the love of their lives to become statues holding a crystal ball for eternity. Bummer.
-snip-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8XdMeAiPzk
Start at ~18:40 depending on your preference, get some tissues ready if you thought that scene was heart-wrenching in the game. (Spoilers for everyone who hasn't played through Ys 2 yet)

For me it's been the opposite. Despite the immensely addicting gameplay I've been very careful not to rush through the game in a few sessions. I feel that this is a very special game that I want to savour in small chunks. It's nice to know that when none of the games at my disposal fit my mood there's always more Xanadu Next waiting for me. It's just a wonderful blend of Zelda, Diablo and Vagrant Story. Even the music has elements that remind me of Hitoshi Sakimoto. I also appreciate the numerous callbacks to the original Xanadu, both in terms of gameplay and lore.
I cleared the game in 22+ hours, a couple of which I spent hunting down a tablet I'd missed. 20 hours and 20 levels gained, I only lacked a skill and a Guardian; final boss only required Death and Dragon Slayer to finish, lol. None of this felt like time spent rushing through, it's just that it's a medium-length game to complete (not counting the bonus dungeon which I'll probably wait to clear when the Steam/GOG version arrives for my next playthrough).

Thinking about it, I'm ruling out Diablo as a strong influence. Builds in this game learn towards offensive magic and/or physicals, with all healing done via items, so it's not as class-oriented as Diablo. Dungeons aren't randomized (except the bonus one, which is built for players who'd like to get the very most of their overleveled builds and want to enjoy more of the combat), and the hub town concept predates Tristram. I'm thinking various Falcom games (Ys and Legend of Heroes + some Dinosaur and Brandish), Vagrant Story, Seiken Densetsu, and Symphony of the Night were points of reference. Even so, Xanadu Next feels like unique compared to all, and it stands way apart from the kind of game Diablo, VS, and Zelda are.

demidar

Start at either ~25:00 or 26:00 depending on your preference, get some tissues ready if you thought that scene was heart-wrenching in the game. (Spoilers for everyone who hasn't played through Ys 2 yet)

Not sure you're allowed to link to such sites.

GenuineDazzlingGoa.gif
That's what gets to me in the series. While Adol does have the ability to talk, during his adventures he normally just stands there and women fall in love with him.

Top Bottom