• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta |OT|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My head kinda exploded in this thread.

Anyway, I hope the platinum is fun and doable.

ys45

One of the reason i got the Vita in the first place, is this game , but i have faith in Xseed i'm sure they will localize the game for NA (otherwise i'l have to import!)

Also, am i the only who was not disappointed so far with the series ? Ys Seven was excellent for me .

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
One of the reason i got the Vita in the first place, is this game , but i have faith in Xseed i'm sure they will localize the game for NA (otherwise i'l have to import!)

Also, am i the only who was not disappointed so far with the series ? Ys Seven was excellent for me .

I liked Oath and Origin (and II for that matter) more than Seven, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

I just hope the party system isn't here to stay. Having Adol-only adventures mixed in with the party-based games would be nice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My head kinda exploded in this thread.

Anyway, I hope the platinum is fun and doable.
It's an Ys game so I assume that I'm not going to go after the platinum. Might make me hate the game, lol. (It's just like how I refuse to platinum Sonic Unleashed because I like the game but dread doing the extra missions which might make me hate the game.)

Hm. I'm surprised I haven't seen a trophy list floating around on eXophase or anywhere else yet.

It's an Ys game so I assume that I'm not going to go after the platinum. Might make me hate the game, lol. (It's just like how I refuse to platinum Sonic Unleashed because I like the game but dread doing the extra missions which might make me hate the game.)

Hm. I'm surprised I haven't seen a trophy list floating around on eXophase or anywhere else yet.

Trophy list is definitely out there already.

Lots of "full completion" trophies on the list.

Definitely doesn't look like an easy Platinum.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's going to be a difficult task to restrain myself from ordering a copy of Celceta. I have way too much to play right now, and I really should just wait for the English version.

*Sigh*

Did they put crafting a la Ys Seven into the game?

I'm taking a half day at work today so I can run out and grab this. I'll try to get some quick impressions over here sometime late afternoon/early evening.

Nnnnnnnghhhhhhhh.

Aeana

It's going to be a difficult task to restrain myself from ordering a copy of Celceta. I have way too much to play right now, and I really should just wait for the English version.

*Sigh*

Did they put crafting a la Ys Seven into the game?

Yes. You can also reinforce equipment with gems now.

I'm taking a half day at work today so I can run out and grab this. I'll try to get some quick impressions over here sometime late afternoon/early evening.

Nnnnnnnghhhhhhhh.

:_:
I will get it Friday morning at the absolute earliest. If P-A is even a little late, then it'll be delayed until Monday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There's photos of the trophy list here.
Trophy list is definitely out there already.

Lots of "full completion" trophies on the list.

Definitely doesn't look like an easy Platinum.
Thanks! :)

Ick. Uh, yeah, probably not gonna go for it while playing the game for the first time. Bunch of "get all of this", "complete this", etc. The ones for
Successful Flash Move 50 times, 1000 Aerial Combos
, etc. don't seem too bad unless you can't get them while you're playing. You have to be pretty thorough to 100% this.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I can't wait to sink my teeth into a new vita RPG. :D

So I preordered the normal version cause my store wasn't taking preorders for the 25th Anniversary Pack.

I walk in today and the guy runs up to me and is like "WE GOT ONE DO YOU WANT IT?!"

Yes. Yes I did.

A3spZZQCMAEvYNK.jpg:large

The insides.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Falcom included a full color manual. It's thinner than their normal ones, but it's actually a real thing. Huzzah!

Sorry for the blurriness. Weird lighting yadda yadda.

ranmafan

Nice pics! I hope mine shows up tomorrow. Amazon Japan hasn't shipped it yet which is weird. I want to play this game first thing tomorrow!

So the story diary that recaps important in-game events etc is written in the 1st person, so you get to see a little bit into Adol's mind without him ever directly speaking.

Neat touch.

Sorry for the double post, just wanted to post some quick impressions after spending a couple hours with the game.

I think it looks MUCH better than the screens would have you believe. The colors and lighting really do a lot to make each environment interesting to look at. The draw distance is also much longer, in part due to your ability to really pull the camera far back. You can also get the camera super close to Adol and co. as well, if you wanna grab shots of his dashing good looks or something.

The quest system is super easy. All you have to do is read the quest on the message board and seek out the person looking to hire. In the case of quests that involve killing one of the giant rare field monsters, you don't actually have to talk to the person first. I accidentally killed a monster, came back and talked to the woman only to have the quest line finish.

Weapons that you equip show up on your characters in-game. Not the armor though.

There's bits of voice acting all over the place. A few fully voiced lines, lots of sound bites and the like. The music is fantastic too, and I totally had a moment where I was just chilling onscreen listening to the BGM.

I find myself missing the jump button after playing Nayuta no Kiseki, but I've come to terms with the fact that this is an evolved version of 7's. You have flash guards and flash dodges, aerial attacks, finishers, and a variety of bonuses to go along with the way you kill your enemies.

I've been having a blast so far though, and the story is already much more interesting than 7's. I've learned more about Adol in two hours than I have in the entire series. Hahaha. The only reason I put it down was because my battery was running low. =(

Spoiler image linked below. Early spoilers, but a spoiler pic nonetheless. Click at your own peril.

Sid

Sorry for the double post, just wanted to post some quick impressions after spending a couple hours with the game.

I think it looks MUCH better than the screens would have you believe. The colors and lighting really do a lot to make each environment interesting to look at. The draw distance is also much longer, in part due to your ability to really pull the camera far back. You can also get the camera super close to Adol and co. as well, if you wanna grab shots of his dashing good looks or something.

The quest system is super easy. All you have to do is read the quest on the message board and seek out the person looking to hire. In the case of quests that involve killing one of the giant rare field monsters, you don't actually have to talk to the person first. I accidentally killed a monster, came back and talked to the woman only to have the quest line finish.

Weapons that you equip show up on your characters in-game. Not the armor though.

There's bits of voice acting all over the place. A few fully voiced lines, lots of sound bites and the like. The music is fantastic too, and I totally had a moment where I was just chilling onscreen listening to the BGM.

I find myself missing the jump button after playing Nayuta no Kiseki, but I've come to terms with the fact that this is an evolved version of 7's. You have flash guards and flash dodges, aerial attacks, finishers, and a variety of bonuses to go along with the way you kill your enemies.

I've been having a blast so far though, and the story is already much more interesting than 7's. I've learned more about Adol in two hours than I have in the entire series. Hahaha. The only reason I put it down was because my battery was running low. =(

Spoiler image linked below. Early spoilers, but a spoiler pic nonetheless. Click at your own peril.

That's a prety cool spoiler, can you play as him?

Aeana

Scrolling furiously past Ryouga's posts to make the wait easier.

Given Ys Seven only exists on PC via a questionable Chinese port I'm going to say you'll probably never play it.

Not necessarily. Even though this news was specifically about Kiseki, I think it could apply to Ys as well going forward. Though you may still only end up with a Chinese PC port.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aw pooh, Ryouga's impressions are making me regret getting ground shipping. :/

But...

RyougaSaotome said:
Why doesn't this make me feel that great?

Well, outside of the aerials and finishers. I like those. Too used to playing Nayuta, so I guess going back to this might feel weird.

Aw pooh, Ryouga's impressions are making me regret getting ground shipping. :/

But...

Why doesn't this make me feel that great?

Well, outside of the aerials and finishers. I like those. Too used to playing Nayuta, so I guess going back to this might feel weird.

After spending some 30 hours on Nayuta, it was definitely weird going back to the dodge roll after primarily using jump to go everywhere.

That being said, four hours in and I'm having no problems anymore. Except for being *Very mild location spoilers*
lost in a sea of trees for the past half hour
. Hahaha.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
CDJapan shipped mine. I stupidly paid for SAL shipping, so I'm probably going to get this late.

After spending some 30 hours on Nayuta, it was definitely weird going back to the dodge roll after primarily using jump to go everywhere.

That being said, four hours in and I'm having no problems anymore. Except for being *Very mild location spoilers*
lost in a sea of trees for the past half hour
. Hahaha.
That's a big fat spoiler there, mister! :p

Probably should play Ys Seven a little bit before getting to this. Muscle memory never does me any favours. >_< How's the balancing so far? Feels like Ys Seven again?
This is relevant because of the "Win boss rush without retry" trophy.

Aeana

CDJapan shipped mine. I stupidly paid for SAL shipping, so I'm probably going to get this late.

I paid for FedEx from P-A, but it won't really matter if they don't get it shipped within the next 6 hours or so. I guess I'll be expecting it on Monday at this point.

ranmafan

Great impressions. Makes me want this game now. amazon Japan just shipped mine this morning, I still don't know why they shipped it late. They did that with hatsune Miku diva f too a few weeks ago. So I have to wait until tomorrow to play it. Oh well, I'll just play Ys oath in Felghana today to keep me busy. That and dj Technica tune. Still wish I can play this today though.

That's a big fat spoiler there, mister! :p

Probably should play Ys Seven a little bit before getting to this. Muscle memory never does me any favours. >_< How's the balancing so far? Feels like Ys Seven again?
This is relevant because of the "Win boss rush without retry" trophy.

Hahahaha. Because it wasn't obvious. =P

When you say balance, what in particular are you referring to? I played Seven nearly two years ago, so I don't remember a lot about the feel of the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Broadly--team balance (eh, you're probably not far enough to make a judgement call on that), difficulty/challenge, weapons, AI attacks, does Flash Guard/Flash Move make things too easy... Thinking about it, that's not exactly a good question to answer unless you've finished it, I guess.

I shouldn't be asking about balance in a Falcom game, but given how I felt about Ys Seven unless you played on Nightmare...

Aeana said:
I paid for FedEx from P-A, but it won't really matter if they don't get it shipped within the next 6 hours or so. I guess I'll be expecting it on Monday at this point.
Not dealing with HMV again, huh?

Broadly--team balance (eh, you're probably not far enough to make a judgement call on that), difficulty/challenge, weapons, AI attacks, does Flash Guard/Flash Move make things too easy... Thinking about it, that's not exactly a good question to answer unless you've finished it, I guess.

Haha, I only have two people in my party right now, including Adol, so I'm seriously in no position to answer any of that right now. XD.

Man, you guys are making me jelly. I don't even have a Vita so I couldn't dream of importing this game, but damn do I want to play it soon. Fingers crossed for XSEED bringing it over.

Varion

I shouldn't be asking about balance in a Falcom game, but given how I felt about Ys Seven unless you played on Nightmare...
Nightmare is always the way forward if you want a challenge in Falcom games anyway, especially now they've ditched the no consumable items systems in Felghana and Origin. Oh how I miss those.

Looking forward to trying to clear this on Nightmare with no items anyway. Hopefully it'll be harder than Nayuta at least, that game was just waaayyy too easy (with the exception of a few certain bosses that did make me want to kill something).

Am I complete moron or wasn't this spelled Celecta?

Of course, this is coming from someone who thought Imageepoch was "Imagee Pooch" the first few times I saw it.

Aeana

Am I complete moron or wasn't this spelled Celecta?

Of course, this is coming from someone who thought Imageepoch was "Imagee Pooch" the first few times I saw it.

Nope. Falcom has previously Romanized it as Selceta, Selseta, and Celceta. Japanese &#12475;&#12523;&#12475;&#12479;.

This is not really a spoiler, but I'll spoiler tag it anyway (gameplay element you find out about in the first ~45 minutes of play):

I LOVE that Brandish element of uncovering the map. In Ys 7 the maps were all already just there for you, but in Celceta it truly feels like you are exploring. And it is great.

This is not really a spoiler, but I'll spoiler tag it anyway (gameplay element you find out about in the first ~45 minutes of play):

I LOVE that Brandish element of uncovering the map. In Ys 7 the maps were all already just there for you, but in Celceta it truly feels like you are exploring. And it is great.

Hahaha, I only just realized that
pressing the select button brings up a bigger area map. No wonder I got lost in the forest
XD!

Top Bottom