• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys for Vita/PS4 Announced

Mr.Jeff

Hmm, wonder if that red-head is the pirate girl from 6 (and I think 5 as well?). I have vague memories of somewhere in Ys 7 saying they were going to meet back up with the pirates after Altago. Mostly likely I'm misremembering.

Ys is great, really excited for this.

s2igs71.jpg
lol

Best news of the conference for me.

And XSEED have never let me down with an Ys game.

Looking forward to this!

Just have to pick whether I want Vita or PS4 version :(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well at least this time it looks like a Vita game lol, Celceta looked worse than many PSP games.

Great news. I am kinda curious to know what people think of the newer Ys games party system. Might just be me but I generally prefer the ys 6 engine games and would love to see some kind of revival of the single character gameplay/platforming style. Definitely looking forward to this but are 7/Celceta what western fans prefer?

RalchAC

It was a figure of speech :p
I'm just always amused by Vita/PS4 titles cause the gap is so wide it makes no sense in term of dev.. But i think it is the right duo strategy in Japan for Sony now (not PS3/PS4, Vita has a future)

I think that's because Japan doesnt push/cares about graphics as the West. And Vita exclusives can do some certainly impressive stuff. So improving resolution, framerate and adding some effects and that kind of stuff would probably be more than enough.

What I wonder is how GE would look. That was limited by the PSP, not the Vita.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Couple more hours before I can watch the trailer. Party system is a bit disappointing but if jumping is back that is promising.

Hope the PS4 version is competent, since that seems to be the bone they are throwing western fans. I assume we'll never see it on PC (in English), unfortunately.

Tizoc

Couple more hours before I can watch the trailer. Party system is a bit disappointing but if jumping is back that is promising.

Hope the PS4 version is competent, since that seems to be the bone they are throwing western fans. I assume we'll never see it on PC (in English), unfortunately.

I still think we'll get an English PC release in the future.
...the far future.

XSEED would have to risk a lot to do any porting themselves, and a PC version for this would definitely be years in the making. Falcom would want to do Sen no Kiseki first anyway.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
XSEED would have to risk a lot to do any porting themselves, and a PC version for this would definitely be years in the making. Falcom would want to do Sen no Kiseki first anyway.

Xseed doesn't have the capability to port it themselves and they haven't shown any interest in picking up the Chinese ports. Unless Falcom makes it, it probably won't happen.

And I don't have any confidence Falcom is going to do it, but I'd like to be surprised.

Eusis

If Falcom gives the slightest damn about doing this series in release order they wouldn't push for Sen no Kiseki first. Especially given how story focused the series is and the fact that when Trails in the Sky got picked up it'd have been a ripe opportunity to go "man we can go back later, let's get our hot new Zero game out there first!" Which they notably did NOT do, or at least didn't win the argument if they did.

Ravage

Looks great, definitely feeling the hype :)

Non-AAA Japanese games should all go with a duo PS4/Vita release imo, makes more sense financially considering the market. I'm personally buying the PS4 version though.

If Falcom gives the slightest damn about doing this series in release order they wouldn't push for Sen no Kiseki first. Especially given how story focused the series is and the fact that when Trails in the Sky got picked up it'd have been a ripe opportunity to go "man we can go back later, let's get our hot new Zero game out there first!" Which they notably did NOT do, or at least didn't win the argument if they did.
I was assuming in the previous post that XSEED would use the Chinese ports that Falcom has bug-fixed, and then Falcom would eventually port Sen no Kiseki to PC for STEAM. No way should Crossbell come after!

Is there a source for XSEED's opinion on the Chinese PC ports here?

Usobuko

Banned
I've never played a Ys game before, but I'd be way more interested in this if it had an art style similar to this concept art. As is all those screenshots look like any generic rpg.

It's the adrenaline combat, well-designed boss battles and complementary osts that people like. The story is usually simplistic in nature and mostly without any cringe-worthy moments. At least, not as off putting as other games in the same genre.

zeromcd73

It's the adrenaline combat, well-designed boss battles and complementary osts that people like. The story is usually simplistic in nature and mostly without any cringe-worthy moments. At least, not as off putting as other games in the same genre.

What about the characters? Does it have the usual innocent JRPG romance cliches that appear in most games of the genre? (Love 'em)!

Varion

Kind of wish they'd move on from the party system already because the boss battles haven't been quite the same since they introduced that and moved on from Felghana/Origin's system, but oh well.

Looking great though. Guessing next September will be this and not a Kiseki game after all.

Shengar

What about the characters? Does it have the usual innocent JRPG romance cliches that appear in most games of the genre? (Love 'em)!

I played MoC, which is party based but there is hardly any sign of romance as far as I can remember.
Adol don't have time to spare with waifus, he dedicated fully on adventuring.

Eusis

I was assuming in the previous post that XSEED would use the Chinese ports that Falcom has bug-fixed, and then Falcom would eventually port Sen no Kiseki to PC for STEAM. No way should Crossbell come after!

Is there a source for XSEED's opinion on the Chinese PC ports here?
Oh, misunderstood then, sorry about that!

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Falcom handled something like Sen themselves, especially if they decide Steam can be lucrative and/or PS4 experience and engine work makes it easy again.

Holykael1

Banned
Kind of wish they'd move on from the party system already because the boss battles haven't been quite the same since they introduced that and moved on from Felghana/Origin's system, but oh well.

Looking great though. Guessing next September will be this and not a Kiseki game after all.

They have jump now though.

IvorB

I'm really stoked to see a new Vita game but I downloaded Ys:Celecta on my Vita and it felt pretty pointless. I just ran around the forest killing things. It was kind of fun for a while but it got a bit old. Been meaning to give it another chance.

Shizuka

Will we ever get another awesome Ys game like Oath in Felghana? I mean, I enjoyed Celcelta for what it was, but it was nowhere near OiF.

It's about time Sony realized what they've been sitting on. Ys absolutely deserves a home on the bigger screen.

PS4 justified

Mr.Jeff

PS4 is a Vita port machine for Japanese developers.

That's just hilarious to me.
Well Falcom's still a fairly small company so I'd imagine the Vita version is there because it's a known quantity. They're more likely moving onto the PS4 now so they can get a handle on it rather than continue with PS3 devlopment. However since they don't know how well it'll sell, a cross platform game makes the most sense.

Top Bottom