• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT| It's Time to D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-Duel!

I realize this is a different dimension and all but in the English 5Ds they sorta ended that series. But in Japanese they kind of continued on with it.. now that being said, how is Jack Still the Duel King in that period? Yusie is supposed to take his title or accurately ended it. Why is Jack still the king in Arc-V? Not complaining. He's obviously a badass as always but now even more by taking out Yuya like a boss.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I realize this is a different dimension and all but in the English 5Ds they sorta ended that series. But in Japanese they kind of continued on with it.. now that being said, how is Jack Still the Duel King in that period? Yusie is supposed to take his title or accurately ended it. Why is Jack still the king in Arc-V? Not complaining. He's obviously a badass as always but now even more by taking out Yuya like a boss.

The worlds in Arc-V are AR Worlds, with some similarities but aren't meant to actually be the ones from the original series.

I speculate the biggest difference mainly is that the protagonist of each series doesn't exist---no Yusei meant no one really stood up for Satellite equality. Likewise the GX-verse seems to have taken the "might makes right!" hierarchy that D.A. endorsed to a new level, whereas Judai helped people get over that and all and made the school more inclusive. As for Zexal, Yuma helped stop an invasion in his series---without him, in the AR Version it ended up invaded.

Are there any cards that can make my Simochi deck better?

Here's my deck that I was doing quite well with a while back.

kbAyyiK.jpg

Lol, has that deck ever been good? Or even fun to play?

It's not amazing but it is really solid.

Wiseblade

BM's venom aside, Alternate Win Condition decks are kind of a mess. They're either worthless or way too powerful. It's largely because of the lack of player interaction; Exodia and burn decks are essentially single player puzzles with the opponent as the timer.

Exodia decks are pretty much beyond saving, but burn could be salvaged by allowing burn effectsto target monsters, MtG style.

BM's venom aside, Alternate Win Condition decks are kind of a mess. They're either worthless or way too powerful. It's largely because of the lack of player interaction; Exodia and burn decks are essentially single player puzzles with the opponent as the timer.

Exodia decks are pretty much beyond saving, but burn could be salvaged by allowing burn effectsto target monsters, MtG style.

This. Usually the former though. They're fine for casual games though.

For the record, I have no problem with alternate win condition decks, I just don't like bad reaction to simoichi, it's always seemed utterly pointless to me.

LaNaranja

This game has gotten really fucking crazy. I stopped watching the show around Season 4 of the original series and I stopped playing shortly after the Envoy cards came out.

This Synchro/XYZ/DDD/Pendulum stuff is fucking confusing. I have been trying to use decks that do alright without relying on all that confusing stuff and so far I have been having the best luck with this Toon deck.

I have been having less luck with this Dark Magician deck.

burn decks are fun fam, aint nothing better than seeing some guy spend 2 minutes doing combos and setting up his field only for me to no sell all of it and troll with a chain burn.

then the rage quits and people getting mad as hell, brings a smile to my face.

Fj0823

This game has gotten really fucking crazy. I stopped watching the show around Season 4 of the original series and I stopped playing shortly after the Envoy cards came out.

This Synchro/XYZ/DDD/Pendulum stuff is fucking confusing. I have been trying to use decks that do alright without relying on all that confusing stuff and so far I have been having the best luck with this Toon deck.

I have been having less luck with this Dark Magician deck.

Games is totally different as more and more options and strategys got released

Ok, here's some advice.

1) Dont use more than 40-42 cards your deck works faster the less cards it has. Keep only the absolutely necessary cards forr your theme and strategy. For example, Obelisk has no business with Toons. The gods are terrible cards unless you focus your deck entirely on summoning them consistently with cards like "Mound of the Bound Creator" and "Ra's Disciple"

2) You're pretty much done for if you don't master Synchro Xyz and Pendulum Summoning you're not forced to use them, but understanding them gives you the tools necessary to fight them

3)Your toon deck really needs the New Toon Cards like "Toon Kingdom" and Rank 4 Xyz monsters to truly shine. Otherwise it goes down with just a spell/Trap destruction effect

4)Unlike Blue-Eyes,Black Luster Soldier, Harpie and Red-Eyes, the new dark magician support doesnt make the deck any better as it usually get stuck, however this 2 bad boys can help you out a lot
-The Ebon Illusion Magician is an Xyz monster based on Dark Magician's Ancient version, you can summon it with 2 level 7 monsters, it's effect allows you to summon a level 7 spellcaster monsters from your hand or deck (IE your Dark Magician) and it will also banish an opponent's card each time a Normal Spellcaster Monster attacks

-Legion the Fiend Jester Allows you to Tribute summon a spellcaster in addition to your regular normal summon, and also adds Dark Magicians from your deck or graveyard to your hand.

5)Try to play "Mirror matches" with people using decks with the same theme as you, that way you can learn some nice tricks

6) If you want to get better at building your deck. Under no sircumstances play with those "NO NEW STUFF" players, they're usually terrible players with no knowledge of the actual rules and very, very badly built decks, not to mention highly immature.
Several dudes just put the 3 god cards from their decks to the field and started rolling dicesand tossing coins to lag the game when I make a good first move

7)Pendulum Summon would also allow you to summon Dark Magician a lot easier, try looking for "Star Gazer Magician" "Insight Magician" and "TimeGazer Magician" after you've learned to pendulum summon, as they will bring out your dark magicians faster and since they're spellcasters, they should combine with your deck rather easily.

As I said, you can add my profile and I'll be glad to get you up to date :).

I don't mean to criticize your decks or your playstyle, I honestly want to help any new/returning player.

Wiseblade

4)Unlike Blue-Eyes,Black Luster Soldier, Harpie and Red-Eyes, the new dark magician support doesnt make the deck any better as it usually get stuck, however this 2 bad boys can help you out a lot
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140909093709/yugioh/images/f/f0/EbonIllusionMagician-JUMP-EN-OP.png[IMG].[/QUOTE]
it's more that the support isn't designed to be used all at once. There's so much and it's so varied that you can get pretty specific with what your DM deck does. Want to use DM Fusions? Timaeus is there for you. Xyz monsters are more your speed? Ebon Illusion has your back. Want to use a deck that's actually good and has a decent chance of winning? Prophecy is waiting.

Fj0823

it's more that the support isn't designed to be used all at once. There's so much and it's so varied that you can get pretty specific with what your DM deck does. Want to use DM Fusions? Timaeus is there for you. Xyz monsters are more your speed? Ebon Illusion has your back. Want to use a deck that's actually good and has a decent chance of winning? Prophecy is waiting.

I think you're right, however the decks with "all at once" support, are far more consistent with a clear strategy for the theme.

Dark Magician tries to be a jack of all trades, and it fails at it ATM.

Hope the new movie gives him more consistency

EDIT: Pulled a Quick Dark Magician Deck together, seems to be decent

Okay, so I'm watching 5Ds and I'm kinda confused, Yusei just got his criminal mark and it showed them burn it into his face, but then after that he also has a line down his face and that was never shown being burned into his face, what's up with that?

Also holy shit, I knew nothing about this series before except for "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!" and thought it was stupid as fuck, I didn't realize it had all this fuckin world building with segregation, a huge divide between the wealthy and the poor and forcing the poor and criminals into what appears to pretty much be slave labor (they get paid I guess...) just so the wealthy can live better lives. This is not at all what I expected and I'm really interested to see where it goes.

Fj0823

Okay, so I'm watching 5Ds and I'm kinda confused, Yusei just got his criminal mark and it showed them burn it into his face, but then after that he also has a line down his face and that was never shown being burned into his face, what's up with that?

Also holy shit, I knew nothing about this series before except for "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!" and thought it was stupid as fuck, I didn't realize it had all this fuckin world building with segregation, a huge divide between the wealthy and the poor and forcing the poor and criminals into what appears to pretty much be slave labor (they get paid I guess...) just so the wealthy can live better lives. This is not at all what I expected and I'm really interested to see where it goes.

It shows only the begining of his marking. It was painful :D

And yes, people jump on CHAAAAAANGES easily But even the creator of the "CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!" meme LittleKuriboh puts 5D's highly in his parody series....

The theme you mention is exactly why season 1 is sooooo good. Season 2 moves to more supernatural issues as all YGO series do. But 5D's at least tries to combine it with a pretty decent plot....oh and also there's some other season after that :p

Wiseblade

I think you're right, however the decks with "all at once" support, are far more consistent with a clear strategy for the theme.

Dark Magician tries to be a jack of all trades, and it fails at it ATM.

Hope the new movie gives him more consistency

EDIT: Pulled a Quick Dark Magician Deck together, seems to be decent
Eh, I can't think of a single archetype that uses all of its support in competitive decks. Most don't even use half.

Fj0823

Eh, I can't think of a single archetype that uses all of its support in competitive decks. Most don't even use half.

I know I shouldve explained myself better, I think its a matter of how meaningfull and consistent the support is.

Dark Magician has this giant lot of cards, but no matter how you combine them into a 40 card deck, the deck will be subpar, but this is just my opinion.

Wiseblade

I know I shouldve explained myself better, I think its a matter of how meaningfull and consistent the support is.

Dark Magician has this giant lot of cards, but no matter how you combine them into a 40 card deck, the deck will be subpar, but this is just my opinion.
Hence my suggestion to just use Prophecy at the end of post.

Fj0823

The joke is that all the Prophecy monsters are retrained versions of Yugi's cards. High Priestess especially is a gender (and attribute) bended Dark Magician.

They're based on Tarot cards, they have design similarities as all "Magicians" use a similar design.

But they are far from Yugis deck. Gagaga are more of an homage to Yugi's deck than prophecy.

I'd say Black Luster Soldier.dek is the closest we have now to a modern Yugi-like deck with all the Gaias and Kuribohs, but still not what Darth Orange might be looking for and certainly not classic playstyle

Is this a real card because it's not showing up on DN?

It's called Tri-and-Guess in the TCG, DN uses only TCG names if available

300px-TriandGuess-PRIO-EN-SP-1E.png

Wiseblade

They're based on Tarot cards, they have design similarities as all "Magicians" use a similar design.

But they are far from Yugis deck. Gagaga are more of an homage to Yugi's deck than prophecy.

I'd say Black Luster Soldier.dek is the closest we have now to a modern Yugi-like deck with all the Gaias and Kuribohs, but still not what Darth Orange might be looking for and certainly not classic playstyle

Their attack and defence point values of the Prophecy monsters matches up to a card Yugi's has used in the anime.

High Priestess is Dark Magician
Destroyer is Summoned Skull
Hierophant is DMOC
Stoic is Kuribo
Empress is Dark Magician Girl

And so on.

Why do people play the games without automated rule management? Serious question.

For Tri-And-Guess you don't need one of all of them, just have a random fusion and be done with it.

Fj0823

Why do people play the games without automated rule management? Serious question.

For Tri-And-Guess you don't need one of all of them, just have a random fusion and be done with it.

It's free, and that's how you usually play IRL....many people don't come to a game expecting the other player to blurt "BUT THATS HOW YUGI DID IT NOOB!!!"

Oh you're right, one random fusion should be enough I misread it as the one having less.

I did forget to make an extra deck. Thanks for pointing it out.

I would think you would need one of each because if you pick Fusion and your opponent doesn't have any you gain that 3000.

Guilty as charged

EDIT: Don't get mad at me ):

Hahaha it's no biggie, I had to edit my response too!

Ygopro is free too and has rule management. I tried one of the ones without it but it just wound up with the other person quitting when a ruling didn't work the way they thought it did 8 times out of 10.

I did forget to make an extra deck. Thanks for pointing it out.

I would think you would need one of each because if you pick Fusion and your opponent doesn't have any you gain that 3000.

Lol you don't pick Fusion, you just have it there so you have an extra deck.

Fj0823

Hahaha it's no biggie, I had to edit my response too!

Ygopro is free too and has rule management. I tried one of the ones without it but it just wound up with the other person quitting when a ruling didn't work the way they thought it did 8 times out of 10.

Pro can be quite buggy, at some point you were able to special summon monsters even if you activated Pot of Duality. not to mention the fast moving cards and effects are a nightmare for newcomers or returning players.

Lol you don't pick Fusion, you just have it there so you have an extra deck.

The card asks you to declare one type, Fusion Synchro or Xyz. This thread showed me I've become a lazy reader

As for above...yeah, one fusion should be enough, but to be extra safe, you could one of
each. The problem is that you have to be very careful with your choice. Let the opponent play for a bit to know what kind of summon he favors before using it.

Pro can be quite buggy, at some point you were able to special summon monsters even if you activated Pot of Duality. not to mention the fast moving cards and effects are a nightmare for newcomers or returning players.

Eh, fair enough. Having something that won't (usually) let me screw up or my opponent bullshit me helped me far more when I was getting back into the game.

Plus it has an AI to play against which really helped me with the new mechanics.

Good to hear, it's definitely the strongest version of a simochi deck. Did you use my exact deck or did you switch it up?

I switched it up a little. I made two variations. I was a bit concerned since it seemed heavily reliant on draining my own Life Points, which I would find very risky and there wasn't much backrow protection. The original one I made which I took out LP dependent cards didn't do well because I couldn't get it out in time. Sadly, it looks like yours is the one I have to stick to. I just wish Simochi could be successful with more monsters in it.

Is there anyone up now who wants to play? I could use some practice and I'm still not familiar with pendulum monsters.

Fj0823

I switched it up a little. I made two variations. I was a bit concerned since it seemed heavily reliant on draining my own Life Points, which I would find very risky and there wasn't much backrow protection. The original one I made which I took out LP dependent cards didn't do well because I couldn't get it out in time. Sadly, it looks like yours is the one I have to stick to. I just wish Simochi could be successful with more monsters in it.

Is there anyone up now who wants to play? I could use some practice and I'm still not familiar with pendulum monsters.

I added you as a friend on DN.

If I see you online Ill ask for a match

I added you as a friend on DN.

If I see you online Ill ask for a match

I haven't been able to win a match with that deck after that first one. I think I'm going to give up hope on any of my decks except for Madolche and my Traditional Skull Servants. There isn't much support for strange decks out there and the one that I succeeded with the most is banned now and will probably stay banned forever.

Do any of you know of any CCGs out there? I used to run one that had a decent amount of activity and I had way more fun playing it over the CCG since you can create support to anything you want.

What does everyone think of Lose 1 Turn?

It definitely does damage to the meta, but I think most of the decks that would benefit highly from it aren't competitive. I was thinking of trying to make use of its potential in some normal monster, or tribute summoning decks.

Wiseblade

I like the card. It slows the pace of a duel without grinding things to a complete stop. It's comparable to one of my favourite cards, balance-wise: Summon Limit.

Top Bottom