• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT| It's Time to D-D-D-D, D-D-D-D-Duel!

Fj0823

How good is Arc V?

Seems like something I should watch and get hype about.

10/10 series right now

It takes a bit to get the plot going (Arounf 10-12 school-lifey episodes in the beginning), but once it does, it's one of the best.
It's also the first series to use all available game mechanics to it's fullest in the duels and plot.

Also little to no filler, even the "Fillery" characters that seem like throwaway opponents play a role later on

Just don't watch the dub. It's like i'm seeing a parody. One of the characters was made into an Arnold Schwarzenegger for no apparent reason. It's unreal.
This too.
English Yu-Gi-Oh! is made entirely by a team of suits who just don't get it. Seriously, the japanese and english versions are like night and day.

Except Zexal, Zexal sucks hard regardless the version

Wichu

Z45anSt.jpg

I pulled the card I wanted the most in the best rarity, and on top of that I beat the reigning champion in the final round to win a mat (apparently he wins 90% of the local Sneak Peeks).

Today was a good day :)

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I havent played in months so what are the best decks being used in YGOPRO at the moment? I just updated and there is too many cards to wrap my head around.

Are Red-Eyes good now? Did Pendulum monsters get better outside of Qliphorts?

I havent played in months so what are the best decks being used in YGOPRO at the moment? I just updated and there is too many cards to wrap my head around.

Are Red-Eyes good now? Did Pendulum monsters get better outside of Qliphorts?

Red-Eyes can be fun, good is another story. I like odd-eyes/magician pendulums but again, more fun than good. I don't imagine too much has changed with the last ban list tbh.

So on a whim I bought one of those Crossed Souls special editions and pulled a Shaddoll Anoyatyllis. Are Shaddoll decks any good? I'm thinking of getting back into the game and I'm taking that as a sign. I noticed there's some support between them and the Zefra archetype but I wouldn't know if a combination of the two would be good or if a focused Shaddoll deck would be better.

Fj0823

So on a whim I bought one of those Crossed Souls special editions and pulled a Shaddoll Anoyatyllis. Are Shaddoll decks any good? I'm thinking of getting back into the game and I'm taking that as a sign. I noticed there's some support between them and the Zefra archetype but I wouldn't know if a combination of the two would be good or if a focused Shaddoll deck would be better.

Shadolls are really really good

Big One

Banned
You know, does anyone on here have an interest in setting up some type of monthly YGO tournament on GAF?

It doesn't have to be competitive (though I would be ok if it was), but we could have separate threads for it in Off-topic and set it up with multiple users.

If we want it to be casual we would have to outright ban certain deck types though. And obviously preface to returning players of what's changed in the game.

You know, does anyone on here have an interest in setting up some type of monthly YGO tournament on GAF?

It doesn't have to be competitive (though I would be ok if it was), but we could have separate threads for it in Off-topic and set it up with multiple users.

If we want it to be casual we would have to outright ban certain deck types though. And obviously preface to returning players of what's changed in the game.

I'd be down. i just have to find a decent deck. Shit I play with usually is probably ass.

Regiruler

I'd be down.

Sounds good, which program would you use?
Also, while interested, I might not be able to synch times with you guys.

Wichu

I would be up for that, depending on how the times work out.

Tecl0n

I'd be up for that.

Wichu

So is a tournament happening? :p

I was going to say we should use YGOPro, but I played it a bit again yesterday. The time limits are way too short if you're playing a deck you're not experienced with. Now I'd rather use Dueling Network.

Also, format? Current TCG format (with possible bans of T1 decks)? I want to try some of the cards from the Master of Pendulum Structure Deck coming out in December, but I'm fine with playing something else so we have a consistent format.

yami4ct

Ok. I've been out of the game for a really long time. When I last played was when Crystal Beasts were just becoming a thing and GX was just wrapping up. It's been that long. Been looking for a way to get back in digitally and after not digging the iPad game, YGOPro is exactly what I need. Now I need some help, though, Anyone want to give me or link me to a catchup on the game/meta? I understand XYZ and Synchro cards and mostly get pendulum stuff. What I want more is.

What are the big decks and why? Basic lists of strengths/weaknesses would help. I've looked at the top decks, but it's hard to really know why those are good right now.
What are the major new staple cards to look out for?
What are some of the new general strategies I should look out for? I've noticed continuous trap cards are way more of a thing, but the same winning strategy of special summoning a crap ton real quick is still there (and even quicker).

Also, Raigeki is back? Holy crap. Never expected that card to see the light of day again.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I would be eternally grateful if someone could help me ease my self back in.

Been outta the game for a hot minute, picked up the LotD game and decided I missed the thing that happens in my brain when I open packs so I picked up a booster box of Secrets of Eternity for like 30 dollars. I pulled a Qliphort Stealth, Pot of Riches, and Infernoid Harmadik what are the chances I could flip these and get the money back I put in and maybe buy another one or some of those tins coming out soon.

Fj0823

Ok. I've been out of the game for a really long time. When I last played was when Crystal Beasts were just becoming a thing and GX was just wrapping up. It's been that long. Been looking for a way to get back in digitally and after not digging the iPad game, YGOPro is exactly what I need. Now I need some help, though, Anyone want to give me or link me to a catchup on the game/meta? I understand XYZ and Synchro cards and mostly get pendulum stuff. What I want more is.

What are the big decks and why? Basic lists of strengths/weaknesses would help. I've looked at the top decks, but it's hard to really know why those are good right now.
What are some of the new general strategies I should look out for? I've noticed continuous trap cards are way more of a thing, but the same winning strategy of special summoning a crap ton real quick is still there (and even quicker).

Also, Raigeki is back? Holy crap. Never expected that card to see the light of day again.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I would be eternally grateful if someone could help me ease my self back in.

I´ll bite, let's see.

Nekroz: A Ritual deck that made people stop laughing at ritual summon. It can use monster in the graveyard, hand, field and even your own extra deck for the ritual summons. Each ritual comes with a built-in effect at the cost of discarding it, meaning they never get stuck in your hand, and the ritual spells can be easily searched by other ritual spells in your graveyard. And that's not all, each ritual monster has really good field controlling/effect negating abilities. Deck was hit by the list, but it's still very good.

Burning Abyss: This deck is based on Dante Alghieri's "Inferno" and features demons who activate their effects when sent to the graveyard from the field, the hand or the deck. They have lots of useful effects and can swarm the field easily allowing to Xyz summon "Dante" or Synchro Summon "Vergil" in order to attack. This deck can also Fusion summon and ritual summon monster, but very few player's use them as they're not as good as the Synchro or Xyz.

TellarKnights: Behold the current world champion, a deck focused exclusively on Xyz summon, this deck swarms the field with level 4 monsters and use them for some of the most OP Rank 4 Xyz monsters in the game, you never run out of monsters as summoning even 1 Tellarknight initiates a chain of effects that leaves you with at least 4 monsters on the field. Also their Signature trap "Satellar Nova Alpha" can negate anything your oponent activates. Expect a heavy list hit soon

Shadoll: this deck is all about dem Fusions, the main deck is full of flip effect monsters with devastating effects that activate when sent to the grave, their fusion spell cards allow you to fusion summon with monsters that are still in your deck. The fusion limit your opponent's summons, making for a good lockdown. This deck also has access to generic Synchros and Xyz.

Qliphort: This deck uses a combination of Pendulum Summon and good ol' Tribute summons, use pendulum summon to summon a bunch of monsters and then tribute them for near invincible monsters like "Apoqliphort Towers", and that's not all, most of the monsters used for the tribute summon have effects that trigger when they're tributed. and best of all, "Qliphort Monolith" in your pendulum zone allows you to draw a card for each tributed monster!!

Many staples of the past remain staple here. Mystical Space Typhoon and Bottomless Trap hole for example. But these days, negating stuff is critical, so look for

-Solemn Warning
-Effect Veiler
-Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit
-Fiendish Chain
-Breakthrough Skill
-Wiretap
-Mind Crush
-Loose 1 turn

You can get any kind of strategy in this game, check the way several decks play and find what you like.

Most decks have been updated so any deck has a chance in casual play if built correctly

yami4ct

Thanks for that. It really helps. I messed around with TellarKnights and Nekroz in YGOPro today. I enjoyed both a ton. It was crazy to see a ritual deck actually work. People got super angry at the Nekroz deck, so I definitely get the feeling those guys have been a thorn in people's side for a long time. The TellarKnights are really cool as well. I'm having trouble learning when to use what XYZ, but I super dig them.

Interested to check out Qliphort and Burning Abyss stuff. The pendulum stuff Qilphort can do seems really nuts and I love the designs behind the Burning Abyss stuff.

Game is super fast now, but in a way I actually dig. It seems like there's a lot more push and pull and way more options at any individual moment, which I like. When I left the game, it was way more about getting your specific combo out to dominate your opponent. Decks were all built around 2-5 cards. Did not like that direction at all. I remember the days when everything was Cyber Rush. That was not fun to play or play against.

Thanks for that. It really helps. I messed around with TellarKnights and Nekroz in YGOPro today. I enjoyed both a ton. It was crazy to see a ritual deck actually work. People got super angry at the Nekroz deck, so I definitely get the feeling those guys have been a thorn in people's side for a long time. The TellarKnights are really cool as well. I'm having trouble learning when to use what XYZ, but I super dig them.

Interested to check out Qliphort and Burning Abyss stuff. The pendulum stuff Qilphort can do seems really nuts and I love the designs behind the Burning Abyss stuff.

Game is super fast now, but in a way I actually dig. It seems like there's a lot more push and pull and way more options at any individual moment, which I like. When I left the game, it was way more about getting your specific combo out to dominate your opponent. Decks were all built around 2-5 cards. Did not like that direction at all. I remember the days when everything was Cyber Rush. That was not fun to play or play against.
My understanding of Nekroz is that they're pretty much the most prominent and powerful meta deck at this point in time.

Skittles

So i'd been thinking about how konami would add support for battlin' boxers if they ever came back in arc V. Here's some of my ideas for my favorite deck

Champion's Ring
Field Spell
-All battlin boxer monsters you control gain 500 atk
-Battlin' boxer monsters you control cannot be returned to the hand
When this card leaves the field draw one card(maybe on this effect, deck lacks draw power but may be too much)

Standing 8 Count
Continuous Spell
-If all monsters you control are battlin' boxer monsters, then once per turn you can normal summon a battlin' boxer monster from your hand in addition to your normal summon. (trying to speed the deck up slightly)
-When this card leaves the field draw 1 card

Fancy Footwork
Counter Trap
-If you control a Battlin' Boxer and your opponent activates a trap card, negate that card and destroy it
-If your opponent activates a trap card while this card is in the graveyard and you control a battlin' boxer monster: set this card in your spell/trap zone
-You can only use each effect of "Fancy Footwork" once per turn

Battlin' Boxer Second
Rank 4 Xyz
2 level 4 battlin' boxer monsters
2500 atk/2000 def
-This card cannot be targeted by card effects while it has Xyz material
-Once per turn you can detach 1 material from this card to detach materials from a battlin' boxer monster you control and re-attach them to another battlin' boxer (except Battlin' Boxer Second) you control (detach effects are not activated at this time)

Battlin' Boxer Legendary Coach
Rank 5 Xyz(maybe Rank 6)
3 level 5 monsters
2600 atk/2000 def
-(You can also Xyz this card by using a rank 4 battlin' boxer you control)
-Once per turn you can detach 1 material from this card and return cards your opponent control to their hand, equal to the number of battlin' boxer monsters you control.

Wanted to give the deck some kind of draw power and fix its biggest weakness (returning to the hand) which is only going to get worse the way the meta is going (with returning cards to the hand being the only way to dispose of some monsters). Wanted to also give them some more utility with the rank 4 and 5. My goal with the rank 4 was to give nova kaiser a better use than just ss from the graveyard. The rank 5 may be a bit too powerful though

vareon

Hey guys, my local manga publisher decided to publish GX, 5Ds, and Zexal all at once. As it's quite hard for me to marathon anime series now, I thought this is a good opportunity. I understand that GX and 5Ds differ from the anime while Zexal followed it for a while.

So should I bother with the manga?

Fj0823

Hey guys, my local manga publisher decided to publish GX, 5Ds, and Zexal all at once. As it's quite hard for me to marathon anime series now, I thought this is a good opportunity. I understand that GX and 5Ds differ from the anime while Zexal followed it for a while.

So should I bother with the manga?

Zexal follows it pretty well, but it's still trash as the source is real bad :p

Manga is a different plot too.

I'd say don't bother with the Gx anime but give Gx Manga a chance, don't bother with 5D's manga but give 5D's original japanese anime a chance

I've finally started watching Arc-V consistently, and I'm a little over 20 episodes in. I'm really enjoying it so far! It's right up there with 5D's for me at the moment. I'm loving how different all of the deck are, instead of them all being focused on the newest thing.

Now that I'm back into Yugioh after a few years, I hype preordered six Mega Tins! I'm a bit bummed to learn that most of BA, as well as Qliphort Monolith and Edge Imp Sabres aren't going to be in it, but at least I'll be able to get my Infernoid and Fluffal decks started!

Fj0823

I've finally started watching Arc-V consistently, and I'm a little over 20 episodes in. I'm really enjoying it so far! It's right up there with 5D's for me at the moment. I'm loving how different all of the deck are, instead of them all being focused on the newest thing.

Now that I'm back into Yugioh after a few years, I hype preordered six Mega Tins! I'm a bit bummed to learn that most of BA, as well as Qliphort Monolith and Edge Imp Sabres aren't going to be in it, but at least I'll be able to get my Infernoid and Fluffal decks started!

So you're at the Maiami Championship Qualifiers?

Man, shit goes down SO unexpectedly hard during that tournament

So you're at the Maiami Championship Qualifiers?

Man, shit goes down SO unexpectedly hard during that tournament

Yup. The episodes around 18 made me hyped to see where the rest of the show goes.

I also made the horrible mistake of watching the first several minutes of episode 6 to see how the dub is. Holy crap, that's possibly the worst anime dub I've heard in years. Ugh.
The opening theme grew on me a little though.

Wiseblade

As someone who always hated Ultimate and Ghost rares, this is only good news to me.

Seriously, Ultra rares are so much better than Ultimate and Ghost is the dumbest thing.

Wichu

I like Ghost Rares :(

But this is a great change overall. Here are the new probabilities of pulling a specific card from a pack (ignoring short prints):

Secret Rare: 1/96
Ultra Rare: 1/60
Super Rare: 1/19
Rare: 1/20
Common: 1/7

(yes, Super Rares are now very slightly easier to get than Rares)

As opposed to the old ratios:

Secret Rare: 1/184
Ultra Rare: 1/120
Super Rare: 1/70
Rare: 1/20
Common: 1/6

For comparison, Magic's ratios (for a large set):

Mythic Rare: 1/121
Rare: 1/60
Uncommon: 1/27
Common: 1/10

Fj0823

As someone who always hated Ultimate and Ghost rares, this is only good news to me.

Seriously, Ultra rares are so much better than Ultimate and Ghost is the dumbest thing.

This!

Though Ultimates got a lot better when they stopped foiling all the card, and just foiled the background instead.

I'll miss Ultimate Rare cards, but Ghost Rares can go die. They're just ugly silver squares unless you look at them in JUST the right lighting.

Regiruler

Worst post of all time

Ultras are lazy trash, at least ultimates have a unique pattern, and ghost gives depth to the image.

I usually post in the LOTDuelist thread, but I'll post these here. There may be a printing issue with the holos in these tins!

I got both tins. Only opened the Odd-Eyes one so far. I don't know which commons I should be looking out for in this set (please let me know so I can double check!) but here's all the rares I pulled from it:

Each row of four is from a different pack. I'm pretty happy for Qliphort Disk and Saqlifice.

BIT OF A PROBLEM THOUGH (both from different packs):

I usually post in the LOTDuelist thread, but I'll post these here. There may be a printing issue with the holos in these tins!

I got both tins. Only opened the Odd-Eyes one so far. I don't know which commons I should be looking out for in this set (please let me know so I can double check!) but here's all the rares I pulled from it:

Each row of four is from a different pack. I'm pretty happy for Qliphort Disk and Saqlifice.

BIT OF A PROBLEM THOUGH (both from different packs):
I never noticed that Pendulum cards have wider art than standard cards. Thats super weird. Lol.

And those holo spots are interesting. Let us know if they're in your other tin too.

I just finished episode 36 of Arc-V, and holy crap! Talk about cranking the show into overdrive!

Actual spoiler:
Sora is my favorite character, but sheesh! He's quite the psycho, which makes deck fits him very well. Hopefully he's not gone for too long.

Fake spoiler:
People need to comment here more so I don't have to double post...

Top Bottom