• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS revealed, 6th anime series airing Spring 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got around to reading the new mechanics.

Fuck. Us in TCG-land JUST got D/D/D at full power then this will probably hit in July.

I think I'm going to stock up on Nekroz, looks like this Link stuff won't mess with rituals too badly.

I don't know how to feel about this. It's like it's almost a new game. I feel rather screwed as an ABC player but the link monsters could fix that.

Goldboy

I like that they're trying to slow the game down with the new mechanics, but I don't like how it outright killed a lot of decks. Ritual decks are my favorite though so I'm not affected too much.

Bubble

Neo Member
5D's is crap. Yusei sucks and all the other main characters, except for Jack, are worthless.

Shame though because 5D's was good until it took a massive nosedive in quality after the Dark Signers arc. It wasn't even a gradual decline, it simply fell off a cliff.

GX has its issues (almost everyone are underdeveloped), but at least the duels are good and the decks are interesting.

nickgia

Duels lasting only two eps is the best thing ever. Judai had pretty good development. Went from an obnoxious kid to an adult. Edo Phoenix is the best.

Arc V will never be forgiven for ruining Edo's character (and how annoying Yuya is).

Fj0823

So Konami finally Konami'd YGO

The new mechanic, Link Summon limits all your extra deck summons to 1 monster in an "Extra Zone". This is mandatory, even if you use older decks.

Unless you summon a Link Monster there first, if you do, you can play with your monster card zones as you always could before. (But you can only summon 2 extra deckfor monsters)

Sorry but this is too much bullshit even for me. I've always defended new mechanics because they bring new options for the player.

This is taking them away.

Sandfox

The new mechanic, Link Summon limits all your extra deck summons to 1 monster in an "Extra Zone". This is mandatory, even if you use older decks.

Unless you summon a Link Monster there first, if you do, you can play with your monster card zones as you always could before. (But you can only summon 2 extra deckfor monsters)

Sorry but this is too much bullshit even for me. I've always defended new mechanics because they bring new options for the player.

I see this as a good change because the game was too fast and extra deck spam is bad for the game. Pendulum also needed a nerf and we got it.

Zaventem

So this kills all synchro decks? lol

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I still think GX Season 4 is some of the wildest kids anime I've watched...there's that episode where the villain traps a Duelist in an illusion and forced to pick between letting his mom or dad die (in the end the Duelist is erased from history), and the whole season ends with a duel against the literal devil.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
5D's is crap. Yusei sucks and all the other main characters, except for Jack, are worthless.

Shame though because 5D's was good until it took a massive nosedive in quality after the Dark Signers arc. It wasn't even a gradual decline, it simply fell off a cliff.

GX has its issues (almost everyone are underdeveloped), but at least the duels are good and the decks are interesting.

Eh GX was extremely mediocre almost the entire way through outside of the last season and parts of the season before where they start to dconstruct the characters.. It has very little going for it and if you think 5D's characters are poor GX characters might as not exist. Your right about the quality drop post dark signers but it does ramp up again during the fnal arc.

A.J.

Banned
Duels lasting only two eps is the best thing ever. Judai had pretty good development. Went from an obnoxious kid to an adult. Edo Phoenix is the best.

Arc V will never be forgiven for ruining Edo's character (and how annoying Yuya is).
I'm only a bit through season 3 so I haven't seen everything, but I think Edo took a hit due to the fact that he would have just been another smug rival character. And you can't really top The Master of Faster when it comes to smug rivals.

Official Site updated with image
XhAJMQZ.jpg

ANN has some info too
The anime's main character Yūsaku Fujiki (pictured below) possesses a cool and sharp mind, and has the skills to be a hacker. He excels at quickly judging the situation at any place, and determining the thoughts of whomever he is talking to. His ace monster is named "Decode Talker," who wields a giant sword. Yūsaku transforms from his school uniform when he enters the VR space for duels.

In the VR space, he has the handle of "Playmaker." When he enters the VR space, he transforms, and he rides a board while dueling.

The site also revealed a design for what it labeled a "mysterious creature."

"Yusaku is usually just a high school student, but when he Duels in the VR Space he transforms and wears a cool costume!”

Well I'm convinced.

5Ds, OG, ARC V, GX and ZeXal.

ZeXal is trash and a majority would agree with that. GX had a lot of potential but it got really weird after Sartorious and Evil Jaden where the edginess took the show off a cliff and killed all the side characters off completely to where only Jaden mattered all the way to the end.

Dunno how to feel about VRAINS but I'll reserve judgment till 3 episodes pass. More than what I lasted for ZeXal.

Also holy shit but Duel Links might include Links summons!!! :O

Qvoth

might actually watch this and check out ygopro when links are out since this might be a good point to start playing again :p
played a bit during lightsworn stuff for one of the psp games

Dahbomb

Can someone explain these Link summoning to me like I am a 4 year old?

I have tried reading the rules and watching videos but I still don't get it. Like how are you supposed to summon those 3 Link monsters that point upwards towards the opponent's side of the field? How do the overall placement work?

nickgia

Fixed for you!

And they literally just killed the game with the new change.

Konami gon Konami.

First Metal Gear Solid, now YuGiOh.

Konami take this L!

VRAINS might be alright. 5DS taught me to give the gimmick a chance.
Arc-V taught me the gimmick can also suck and the MC will always get the same two action cards to save his awful ass.

Fj0823

I have tried reading the rules and watching videos but I still don't get it. Like how are you supposed to summon those 3 Link monsters that point upwards towards the opponent's side of the field? How do the overall placement work?

You now have a zone called Extra Monster Zone. Anything summoned from the Extra Deck must go to that zone only. And you only get one at the start of the duel.

Link monsters can be summoned by sending monsters on the field (regardless of type, levels or ranks) to the graveyard equal to their link value.

The Link Monster card has arrows pointing to different monster zones on the field, once you place it on the Extra Monster Zone, the Monster Zones that are being pointed at by the card become Extra Monster Zones too.

Link Monster do not have Level, Rank or DEF, and can only be placed in attack position.

Skittles

Link summoning works like contact fusion. So you have to send monsters on the field equal to the Link level of a monster. You can control only one of the Extra Monster Zones. An extra deck monster can be summoned to that zone and nowhere else unless you control a Link Monster. Wherever the arrows on the Link monster point allow you to summon extra deck monsters there(it can point to your opponent's side which means they can summon extra deck monsters there). It's possible to have a Link monster outside the Extra Monster Zone, which is why some Link monster's have arrows on the side.

Observe the new field below.

The two spots in the middle are not assigned. Since card placement matters now, first person to claim a spot by putting a monster in it gets it and the other player automatically gets the other spot. One each.
This spot is called the Extra Monster Zone. Monsters from your Extra Deck now are only allowed here in this one spot. You can no longer summon them directly to the regular monster zone.

Under normal circumstances this would mean that you could now only have one Extra Deck monster out at a time. However, with the help of Link Monsters, you can link other spaces on your field to this spot which allows them to also hold Extra Deck monsters. Little orange arrows on Link monsters indicate which spots it activates. These arrows can point toward one of your spaces but they could also point across the field toward an opponent's space, enabling them to use it for extra monsters as well.

To special summon a Link monster from your extra deck, you must send the requisite face-up link materials to the graveyard (like a tribute). A non-link monster counts as one link material. Link monsters specify the summoning requirements on the card, but generally they need a number of monsters equal to its link level.
Other link monsters however can serve as more than one. For example, a Link-2 monster counts as 2. A Link-3 monster counts as 3, and so on.

Decode Talker is a Link-3 that specifies at least two effect monsters. Multiple combinations could satisfy this. Example: You could use two effect monsters and one normal monster from your main zone. Or you could use three effect monsters from your main zone. Or you could use one Link-2 effect monster and one main effect monster. Etc. As long as the total link number equals 3 and you've used two effect monsters.

I hope I got all that right. On the positive side, this slows the game down considerably and forces the player to work harder to earn their field. On the negative side, it basically makes the new mechanic mandatory and wipes out some existing strategies. Existing pendulum strategies are especially hit hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom