• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki considering Crowdfunding/Kickstarter to fund Shenmue 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

Well if they go down that road then it HAS to be for Steam also. Not a bad thing I guess. Definitely very interesting if it were to happen.

Alec

image.php

Off subject for a second, I think your avatar is amazing but god damn I hate that fucking shit eating grin he has going on. A+

Woah ...unlikely but ... but ...
Damn if he can raise money and convince sega ... that would be .. well

i can't find the right words for what i'm feelign right now.

scarybore

I'd certainly pledge some money, would be interesting to see what Suzuki thinks would be a realistic budget/goal for the project though. I'd happily see the game released at a Dreamcast/Playstation 2 graphics level if that is what's required for it to be a viable project.

Stretch goals could be amusing.

$1m - Outrun, Hang-On etc with online leaderboards.
$2m - Sailor battles.
$3m - Duck races.
$4m - Ryo can own a Lucky Hit emporium.

Axiom

I don't know how it would be done given he doesn't own it, but as has been mentioned, in regards to a Shenmue sequel I'm in very much a 'shutupandtakemymoney.gif' sort of mindset.

Providing it's not mobile, that's more of a 'I'll give you $20 because I'm fond of you' time. No matter what, I would be happy to see the story continue in a way that I can consume.

eso76

Maybe oxm poll asking 'what game should the next Xbox launch with ?'that saw Shenmue 3 dominating last week helped ?

I've been saying Suzuki should do crowd fundind for a decade, long before kickstarter existed.
Now go and do it. I have no doubt it will raise the funds Suzuki needs in no time.

I don't know how it would be done given he doesn't own it, but as has been mentioned, in regards to a Shenmue sequel I'm in very much a 'shutupandtakemymoney.gif' sort of mindset.

Providing it's not mobile, that's more of a 'I'll give you $20 because I'm fond of you' time. No matter what, I would be happy to see the story continue in a way that I can consume.

Just because he doesn't own it doesn't mean he can't license it. In fact, a "dead" franchise means he'd likely be able to get a good deal on a one or even 3 game license deal. These companies don't just sit on IPs to be jerks, they still WANT to be able to make money from them, that includes licensing.

SGRU

Now talking seriously. Do you really think it will cost that much to make today a game like the originals? I don't think so. It might be expensive, but much less than the first two.

And I don't mind if it's done in iOS, OUYA or in a microwave. I'll buy whichever system is needed to play Shenmue 3.

I don't care how expensive this is, if GAF alone doesn't fund the game I'm disappointed.
I never even played it, but I know you guys love this more than life itself at times.

Now talking seriously. Do you really think it will cost that much to make today a game like the originals? I don't think so. It might be expensive, but much less than the first two.

And I don't mind if it's done in iOS, OUYA or in a microwave. I'll buy whichever system is needed to play Shenmue 3.

Of course not. Part of the expense of the originals was the "revolutionary tech." If they made a game today at PS2-level visuals, it'd be much less expensive to make.

Takao

Banned
Just because he doesn't own it doesn't mean he can't license it. In fact, a "dead" franchise means he'd likely be able to get a good deal on a one or even 3 game license deal. These companies don't just sit on IPs to be jerks, they still WANT to be able to make money from them, that includes licensing.

Uh, SEGA and Valkyria Chronicles 3 say they do sit on things to be jerks.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Does anyone have a concrete idea of what Yu Suzuki is actually doing. I know he formed a small company YS Net. But do they have any real staff or funding? Does SEGA want anything to do with them?

Yuji Naka and Yu Suzuki have become irrelevant in the game industry pretty much. That is insane. Should have joined Nintendo or something.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I would love to see a kickstarter raise some unholy amount of $20-$30 million, then only later to find out its 3DS exclusive. Then watch the world burn.

Shenmue 3: Fridge Edition confirmed.

I'd preorder it if it came with Shenmue 1 and 2. Haven't played either, but I can see the appeal.

VegaNine

From the "Team Yu" facebook page:

Now, we don't want to get anyone's hopes up. As exciting as this sounds, the news is still rather vague and ambiguous, at least until we're able to gather more details. But we promised to pass along whatever came out of the Monaco Anime Game Show this weekend, so please take this with a grain of salt for the time being:

As you may recall from an earlier post, Sebastien-Abdelhamid had asked fans on Twitter to suggest questions that he would ask Yu Suzuki at the MAGS convention. Well, here's a new tweet from the interviewer following that session:

"Yu Suzuki déclare penser au Crownfunding type Kickstarter pour financer Shenmue 3 ! #MAGS"

https://twitter.com/SAbdelhamid/status/308259625822728192

This roughly translates to:

"Yu Suzuki declares he is thinking about crowdfunding such as Kickstarter to finance Shenmue 3! #MAGS"

A thrilling prospect for sure, but before we get carried away let's acknowledge a few things. First of all, while it still inspires hope, it says he's only thinking about it. But most importantly, we don't yet know the context of these comments. We don't even have a direct quote. Did Yu volunteer this statement, or was he coaxed into politely going along with an idea presented to him on the spot? We simply don't know at this stage, so we hope to see a video or at least a full transcription of the interview before deciding how seriously to take this tweet.

We have said before that we believe Yu would be more open to the Kickstarter concept than the corporate suits at Sega. You can read our previous comments here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=375636402448405

On this latest development, we'll keep you posted.

"Team Yu" on the likelihood of a SEGA-endorsed kickstarter:
The recent talk about Kickstarter has been interesting, with Psychonauts developer Double Fine Productions managing to raise over $1,000,000 in under 24 hours to make a new adventure game. Naturally this has a lot of Shenmue fans very excited at the prospect of Sega using a similar approach to overcome their financial wariness toward making Shenmue III.

However, Sega and Double Fine are in very different positions. Chances are, most gamers were unfamiliar with the name Double Fine before their fundraising story went viral. Asking fans to pledge money for a game the company otherwise couldn't afford to make is how this underdog developer has made its name. Sega, on the other hand, has a reputation as one of the most established and prolific brands in the industry. Resorting to Kickstarter is likely to seem beneath them, even if it's what the consumer wants. Their corporate ego won't allow it.

Team Yu maintains that the only way we'll ever see Shenmue III become a reality is if Yu Suzuki can obtain the license from Sega.
He may then see the benefit in crowdsourcing the capital required to make the game, and we can all put our money where our collective mouth is. But until he has the rights to Shenmue, there'll be no project to fund.

The obstacle between fans and the game remains Sega's stubborn burial of the Shenmue license, instead of giving it to the one man who can put it to good use. Suzuki wants to make the game. We want him to make the game, and would invest our money to help him do so. But before that can happen, Sega must first do the right thing and let Yu take control of Shenmue's destiny.

Please join Team Yu in lifting the plight of our most wanted sequel over this hurdle. Then we'll be on the right track for the kickstart to begin.

MEEEEEEEGAATOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!

I will give 100 - 200 no problem!

Edit: Also, make it for DREAMCAST!!!!!!

Honestly, if one of the tiers was a copy for play on Dreamcast, I'm in. :lol

I can't believe I'm reacting to this as if I didn't already train myself to ignore all mentions of Shenmue from now on.

beason52

Neo Member
Yet another huge tease. Why shenmue3, why must you haunt us and play with our hearts...

I'd give $200+. To keep the budget down I think this should be a Vita game, 3DS wouldn't do the game justice IMO (technically speaking). Just can't see a full 360/PS3/WiiU game getting funded on kickstarter

Given the response of this thread, I get the feeling that a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter would absolutely thrash the Double Fine one.

I would contribute with a 1000 bucks and I know my brother would contribute with even more than that (he's crazy about Shenmue).

Let's make it happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom