• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki considering Crowdfunding/Kickstarter to fund Shenmue 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Okay. Oooookay. Heart rate settling. Heres what they would HAVE to do, for this to even get close to what it would need to be:

Develop the game with all the old character models, level of immersion, and what we would have got if Shenmue 3 had come on the Xbox 1. Tart it up with better textures, lighting, and vegetation, and render in HD. That way you can do it on all manner of platforms for maybe something like 3-5 million budget.

For an idea of what I would find greatly acceptable, heres a hack-render with replaced vegetation by Shenmue Dojo user Master Kyodai:

Okay? Okay. Good. Great.

Just what I was thinking, this is all that needs to happen.

thumb

Banned
I agree with others that the way to do this would be to use Kickstarter to help fund and show broad support for the idea, and then recieve more funding from other sources.

I'm not sure if a new Shenmue game would be good. But I'd love to take the ride. Like the DoubleFine Kickstarter, offer an ongoing documentary and backers-only forum. Sell people not just the game, but the experience of being part of a small movement. Good or bad, it will be an amazing ride.

ChaosXVI

I could, right now, donate $500 to this thing, and gladly would if Yu Suzuki actually tries to get this ball rolling. I completely fell in love with the original game on Dreamcast when I was 11 years old, bought it along with 4 other Dreamcast games for $5 at a used video game store in early 2002 on a whim. Had never heard of it...it was unlike any game I ever played before or since.

This needs to happen, Shenmue III MUST exist!

Dits

1336278578-1080x607.jpg

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, nowadays, no sequel would be a surprise for me. Hell, the kickstarter that kickstarted (hah!) all this was a point'n'click adventure game from Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert and team.

Riposte

Kickstarter isn't capable of funding a proper Shenmue sequel. If I wanted an improper Shenmue sequel that bad, I would have invested in a means to play that shitty cellphone game.

hiro4

Not going to get my hopes up.
But if it might happen I will make sure I have some serious money ready for this.

goldenpp72

I would likely put in a LOT of money and have never used Kickstarter before :) As long as the vision is ambitious anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom