• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki considering Crowdfunding/Kickstarter to fund Shenmue 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogybro

You'll never experience anything like this ever again.

eKAcUxa.jpg

shuri

Banned
Those translations are absolute junk, why the fuck is the OP polluted by them? Embarassing by GAf standards..

The first line says: "Yu Suzuki declares to be thinking about a kickstarter-LIKE model to fund Shenmue 3" .. he's not saying he WILL use Kickstarter.

Second line is: "Yu Suzuki would like to CONTINUE the shenmue adventure in anime or manga form", as in making anime/manga versions of future chapters.

edit: I'm starting to think he probably originally said that he wanted to use a crowdfunding model to fund further Shenmue sequels in anime or manga forms, not really in videogame form..

It'll be like 60 million dollars to fund

600 000 people is easy.

Edit : Nintendo should make a big check to secure this on Wii U (or Sony for the PS4... but no matter who makes the move it could at least make a lot of noise into the gaming community)

NekoFever

I've given the minimum needed for a copy of the game to a couple of Kickstarters.

This will get at least £200, possibly more depending on the benefits offered.

goldenpp72

It'll be like 60 million dollars to fund

I think a budget of 30-40 would actually be very healthy for a next gen Shenmue, a lot of what probably drove up cost on making the original 2 is probably less an issue these days. I honestly don't know how much i'd donate to this project, all I do know is I felt a tremble in my bank account a soon as I saw the headline.

I'd likely tap out at 1k if it felt needed, and depending on the vision/support. The thing people seem to forget is that when a game releases at 40-60 bucks, a lot of people would be willing to pay a lot more for that experience if justified, and this is one of them. Others for me would be Beyond good and evil 2 and Skies of Arcadia 2, and I guess anything Mega man related these days -_-

I'd also really like remastered and updated versions of the original 2 games to make them modern while retaining the magic.

Snaku

Banned
If it was that popular would it really need a kickstarter?

Poor sales can be attributed to the platforms they were released on. Two on a failed console, one never getting a US localization. One ported to another console in its launch year which was dominated by Halo, and had no marketing.

Globox_82

Banned
Those translations are absolute junk, why the fuck is the OP polluted by them? Embarassing by GAf standards..

The first line says: "Yu Suzuki declares to be thinking about a kickstarter-LIKE model to fund Shenmue 3" .. he's not saying he WILL use Kickstarter.

Second line is: "Yu Suzuki would like to CONTINUE the shenmue adventure in anime or manga form", as in making anime/manga versions of future chapters.

edit: I'm starting to think he probably originally said that he wanted to use a crowdfunding model to fund further Shenmue sequels in anime or manga forms, not really in videogame form..

thanks for killing my boner...

binary

I'd give upwards of $500 to a Shenmue III Kickstarter. I don't even need any rewards. Just give me the game that I've been waiting a decade to play.

DJIzana

If Sega can make Yakuza games how come they cant make a new Shenmue?

They reuse a lot of assets in the Yakuza series. At least... for Yakuza 3, 4 and Dead Souls. It's always been the same city with a few new additions to it... so it doesn't cost them as much.

muddream

Banned
Sega should test the waters with HD-remakes of the Dreamcast games, a proper Shenmue 3 is never going to get crowdfunded.

thanks for killing my boner...

No it's not that too.

ok for the translation but kickstarter is not a problem. He can give is IBAN and I'll send him money. And if he wants too even if he makes a special site that could work.

no he says that he ALSO would like to continue the shenmue adventure in anime or manga form.

"également" is approximatively "also"

binary

Imagine if one of the extras of the Kickstarter was a 3 disc release on Dreamcast. I might have a meltdown if it came to pass.

Midou

Would be okay with it being a digital game running on a very similar to Shenmue 1/2 graphics engine. I don't need it to be next-gen, that's just insane.

Jcgamer60

Fixed.

MaulerX

I'm down for this. God I loved the first two and would definitely give a good chunk to play the third. This seriously needs to get done.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
At this point, I don't even want a game. Just give me the conclusion of the story, please.

Aretak

Stop what you are doing, and find it, buy it, and play this game for the love of all that is holy.
I'm not sure it'd be quite the same sort of experience for someone now as it was back then. There have been plenty of games since which have done everything Shenmue did, except way better. It was revolutionary for its time, but I don't think it holds up as anything more than a curiosity today.

Persona86

Banned
I've never played Shenmue and I would donate money to this.

I always wanted to play it, I read many magazines about it and I was excited to get it and I loved how the Dreamcast looked, but as a kid I never got to have a Dreamcast.

I really wish they made a Shenmue 1 and 2 HD collection, and then they can use that money for Shenmue 3.

Boogybro

I'm not sure it'd be quite the same sort of experience for someone now as it was back then. There have been plenty of games since which have done everything Shenmue did, except way better. It was revolutionary for its time, but I don't think it holds up as anything more than a curiosity today.

I can't think of a single one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Remember when fucking Kikizo said Shenmue 3 was happening? And now Kikizo is no more.

Persona86

Banned
I can't think of a single one.

The closest thing I can think of is Yakuza games, but they are quite different. From what I've seen Shenmue is a lot more "homely"? there's a lot more focus on exploration of the world and it's characters.

Yakuza/Zelda OOT = Shenmue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom