• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki considering Crowdfunding/Kickstarter to fund Shenmue 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhlt25

damn you OP. I spent the last hour looking at Shenmue clip on youtube because of this. No game been has been able to portray ordinary life like shenmue did. I'd put a lot of money in the kick starter if it ever happen

Remember when fucking Kikizo said Shenmue 3 was happening? And now Kikizo is no more.

kaz.gif

Midou

I can't think of a single one.

Exactly. I love Yakuza, but when people say its the exact same thing, I don't see it.

The attention to detail and interactivity has not been done in anything else. The way you pick up each individual purchased item off a shelf. The way you open individual drawers and look through them. The way you can enter so many rooms in Shenmue 2 in those buildings.

It may seem like small stuff to anyone who has not played them or didn't get into them, but it all adds to an overall experiance that can't be compared to anything else. I mean stuff like Sleeping Dogs does a few things, can wash hands, use washroom, buy drinks from vending machines, but it all seems to be minor in comparison. The attention to detail in those actions just isn't there.

dancmc

No need to fund the whole game, right? so set a 5-10m kick starter goal to show the support and then get Sega to fund the rest

I'd kick in

Persona86

Banned
Exactly. I love Yakuza, but when people say its the exact same thing, I don't see it.

The attention to detail and interactivity has not been done in anything else. The way you pick up each individual purchased item off a shelf. The way you open individual drawers and look through them. The way you can enter so many rooms in Shenmue 2 in those buildings.

It may seem like small stuff to anyone who has not played them or didn't get into them, but it all adds to an overall experiance that can't be compared to anything else. I mean stuff like Sleeping Dogs does a few things, can wash hands, use washroom, buy drinks from vending machines, but it all seems to be minor in comparison. The attention to detail in those actions just isn't there.

This is why Shenmue on Next gen would be glorious. But even if this is true, you know the game is going to take a looong time to make. :(

Give us Shenmue 1 and 2 HD while we wait.

Chromie

Banned
I wonder if this would break the record for quickest funded game ever.

Obsidian holds the record for what 27 hours to be funded?

If it was that popular would it really need a kickstarter?

Yes.

Wasteland 2, Shadowrun: Returns and I'm sure there are other existing IP's that needed a kickstarter to be funded.

Has Suzuki said anything about a possible platform? If I were to pledge it would only be for a PC title.

I definitely would pay every penny that I could. Hell, if they kept the donations open somehow, I'd donate regularly. I want to help make this happen so badly.

Midou

This is why Shenmue on Next gen would be glorious. But even if this is true, you know the game is going to take a looong time to make. :(

Give us Shenmue 1 and 2 HD while we wait.

Yeah, I mean, best case scenerio would be like:

Step 1) release Shenmue 1 and 2 HD to figure out mainstream popularity

Step 2) Do a kickstarter for ~5 million to get project started, HD-makes plus successful funding would prove it is popular enough. Any $60+ pledge should include the game, so even those hesitant about using kickstarter can use it as a pre-order. Sega can throw in the rest, I'm sure it would do relatively well anyways.

I'm not sure it'd be quite the same sort of experience for someone now as it was back then. There have been plenty of games since which have done everything Shenmue did, except way better. It was revolutionary for its time, but I don't think it holds up as anything more than a curiosity today.

Not even close. There's still nothing like it to me. Play it every December.

OH GOD PLEASE BE TRUE

Not even close. There's still nothing like it to me. Play it every December.

I like you.

I really hope they redo both the voice acting and the script in this.

It wasn't a big deal back then, but it is now, given how much things have evolved since 2000.

What does that mean? There's still shitty game script-writing and bad voice acting in 2013. Neither of those things has really "evolved."

Ylyon

Neo Member
ready to donate for the first time to a game. And I'm ready to pour into the project as much as I could

Grief.exe

Sega needs to do HD versions of Shenmue I & II first.

And other games stuck on the original Xbox, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon, JSRF, Skies of Arkadia (GC)

Make good PC ports of all these and I'll be happy Sega.

Here is our Shenmue III:

Most easily he wont make a videogame.
More realistically an anime or movie with the old DC engine (like the bootleg movie on ShenMue 2).
Something I'm not so interested in...

:(

I called it some months ago. As a wish with the loswet of expectations. If theres a good use for kickstarter then this is it. Suzuki has my unconditional backing for this one.

Kikujiro

Shenmue III doesn't need to be a next-gen game. Just use a HD version of the old Shenmue engine, it will be beautiful enough.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
$100 easily. And i never played more than 30 minutes of the first game (though i have both from first release). These games are groundbreaking and pure art. The only reason i havent played is due to family/work issues.

Shion

What does that mean? There's still shitty game script-writing and bad voice acting in 2013. Neither of those things has really "evolved."
I replay Shenmue 1 & 2 every year and I can safely say that games have improved a lot both in terms of voice acting and script.

Personally, I don't care so much, but I'm afraid that it's going to ruin the experience for the newcomers.

$100 easily. And i never played more than 30 minutes of the first game (though i have both from first release). These games are groundbreaking and pure art. The only reason i havent played is due to family/work issues.
Why is this? I always have the urge to play Shenmue in december also. (^.^)b

Boogybro

I replay Shenmue 1 & 2 every year and I can safely say that games have improved a lot both in terms of voice acting and script.

Personally, I don't care so much, but I'm afraid that it's going to ruin the experience for the newcomers.

I expect a lot from you Dyo.

Midou

Yep, I agree. A lot of classically hilarious lines would likely put people off of it now, and they would laugh at it and not with it, like when it first came out. Voice Acting has come a long way, even if plenty of games still have bad voice acting.

Caelestis

I never played the first two due to them being on consoles that I don't own, but I would probably fund this. Always wanted to give this series a shot.

DJIzana

I never played the first two due to them being on consoles that I don't own, but I would probably fund this. Always wanted to give this series a shot.

Oh dear... you missed out on a lot... A LOT of amazing games, my friend.

This would need Sega to agree to licensing the Shenmue brand and also the Yakuza tech, even then I'd think it would need $60 million or more. Without Yakuza tech this would easily need $80m if tooling had to be done from scratch in a reasonable time frame.

They could probably go with Japanese voice acting with subtitles for other languages to try and reduce production costs. But that would likely be a drop in the ocean compared to the monster development budget this would need to do it justice.

I honestly can't see this happening. Not only would it be the biggest kickstarter ever, there's the logistics of having to recruit a development team to actually build the thing. It's not like other other kickstarters where they already have staff ready to go, sitting on the sidelines fearing for their jobs in case the funding targets aren't met. Recruiting top notch development talent is difficult and expensive. The funding is only (!) part of the problem here.

While Shenmue has many fanatics that love the series, I would rather Yu Suzuki kickstarts a racing title instead for $4 million. I don't think anyone understood arcade racing as well as he did back in the day or since. There would be no need to go crazy with the scope or budget, something tight and focused like a Dreamcast era racing title would be more than enough.

fvng

I would contribute. Why doesn't Sega do a remaster of the first two ala Yakuza HD collection. That should spike interest

Yes.

Wasteland 2, Shadowrun: Returns and I'm sure there are other existing IP's that needed a kickstarter to be funded.

None of those games required as large of a commitment as a proper Shenmue 3 would. As far as I can tell the most funding a game has received via Kickstarter is Project Eternity at about four million dollars. Shenmue 3 would probably require at least ten times that right?

Edit:

I think the only way this is viable is if they have a deal in place with some publisher that will give them the rest of the funding if they reach a certain amount.

Azriell

I'd put up $60 for KS preorder. I don't think they could do much do make me pay more, short of offering ports of the first two games.

The novelties of Shenmue's 10,000 empty cabinets to open wouldn't be enough to earn Shenmue 3 critical acclaim. That sort of scale isn't impressive anymore. They would need to better deliver on that promise of searching everything. They need to make it more meaningful and rewarding.

jay

I'd back it for a grand at least, hoping it is the plot of 3 as intended and not an attempt to wrap up the entire plot in one new entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom