• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki: "Development budget of Shenmue was easily recouped by profits of VF3 & 4"

sörine

Banned
Yeah its bare bones features were pretty bad. I don't know why, but early Model 3 Dreamcast ports like VF3:TB and Sega Rally 2 were quite disappointing. Sega Rally 2 was the first game I bought for my Dreamcast and I was so sad to see its inconstant framerate.
Sega Rally 2 was hamstrung by being a Windows CE effort. No idea why Sega went that route with the game, maybe they wanted an easy PC port or they were trying to push CE development for PR reasons? It was also farmed out to AM6 (Smilebit) rather than being done by the original team at AM5 (Sega Rosso) so perhaps that had an impact too although the core team had done solid conversions before (VR 32X, Sega Rally SS, STTC SS).

I will settle this once and for all. Please communicate this to everyone so this will never be questioned again.

ENTIRE Shenmue (1 & 2) Project = Approximately $70 million.

Here is the breakdown:

• Shenmue 1 development
  • Many parts of Shenmue 2's development
  • Shenmue series R&D
  • Some of Shenmue 3's character models development
  • Shenmue's Sega Saturn R&D
  • Shenmue's Sega Saturn development
  • Shenmue's Dreamcast graphics engine R&D
  • Shenmue 1, 2 & 3 Music creation, composition & creation cost (they use full orchestra, and there are tons and tons of tracks & songs they are yet to use)
Cost - $47 million

• Shenmue 1 worldwide marketing
Cost = $23 million

Proof?
  • Years of interviews and public statement from Yu Suzuki, Medias and SEGA.

Where did the $70 million big mentioning came from?
  • Blame SEGA West (Europe & America). They wanted to use the total costing as a form of PR to increase customer acquisition and interest. It worked to a degree but from a long term and general point of view, it created confusion and damaged credibility in the long run.

Now circulate and move on. Shenmue entire project, though very ambitious or a stretch, the spending was ok when compared to other games.
I thought the $70m quote originated in the year before Shnemue I's western release though, how could it account for II as well? More dubious is that the bulk of Shenmue II's development cycle and it's release would've been investment spend under Digital Rex and not Sega AM2, and this during the period where Sega's R&D were made semi-autonomous (fiscally responsible) companies?

Top Bottom