• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Yu Hakusho | Official Trailer Released (Netflix)

Draugoth

Gold Member

Yu Yu Hakusho, the legendary smash-hit manga from Weekly Shonen Jump, is finally getting a live-action adaptation! This series of unprecedented scale is brought to life by an all-star cast that includes Takumi Kitamura, Jun Shison, Kanata Hongo, Shuhei Uesugi, Sei Shiraishi, Kenichi Takito, Goro Inagaki and Go Ayano.The strength that comes from having something to protect versus the strength that comes from having nothing to lose...Feast your eyes on this top-class Asian battle action series, featuring world-class, cutting-edge visual effects and presented by a cast and staff who are at the pinnacle of Japanese entertainment!

The demon portal expanding is the Sensui arc. After watching this trailer, I'm wondering if there's even going to be a Dark Tournament, or is this just going to be some weird amalgamation of plot points from every arc rearranged and condensed into a bastardized 8 episode miniseries?

I'm not rooting for it to be bad, I hope it's good, but I'm also here for the train wreck it'll probably be.

Comes out tomorrow for the rest of us, I believe. Also, only 5 episodes.

Last edited:

Mesousa

Banned
This is going to be horrible.

Also YYH was at its best before the Dark Tournament. At that point it turned into a very good(probably the best?) Dragonball rip off. After that it was meh.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I can already tell that I won't be able to distinguish between ANYONE in this show. Good grief, are they casting this from one family of identical siblings?

Looks fun though, is this kid friendly, more of a tween show, or straight up adult show?

I can already tell that I won't be able to distinguish between ANYONE in this show. Good grief, are they casting this from one family of identical siblings?

Looks fun though, is this kid friendly, more of a tween show, or straight up adult show?
Probably around tween level, the anime was on Toonami back in the day (late-night Cartoon Network).

Spyxos

I have a good feeling that it won't be bad. One Piece has already surprised me in a positive way. But I only liked the anime up until the tournament.

Heavens Arena and Greed Island are kinda bad lol. Yorknew is great but it…just kind of ends abruptly. Chimera Ant is goated. HxH is a mixed bag for sure.
I used to prefer yyh over hxh as well. It wasn't until my second rewatch that hxh became my favorite. I ended up appreciating a lot of the details the second time around.

I also shared your opinion that Heavens Arena and Greed Island weren't great. Compared to the other arcs, I still think they're the weakest, but I definitely don't think they're bad anymore. They're training arcs that provide necessary exposition for understanding the complex power system, which is actually really well thought out and very logical.

I'd definitely give it a rewatch / second chance if you haven't already.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I used to prefer yyh over hxh as well. It wasn't until my second rewatch that hxh became my favorite. I ended up appreciating a lot of the details the second time around.

I also shared your opinion that Heavens Arena and Greed Island weren't great. Compared to the other arcs, I still think they're the weakest, but I definitely don't think they're bad anymore. They're training arcs that provide necessary exposition for understanding the complex power system, which is actually really well thought out and very logical.

I'd definitely give it a rewatch / second chance if you haven't already.

I think the issue for me is the quality of the anime adaptation. In manga form, HxH is easily better than YYH. The storylines and characters are more layered and Togashi’s artwork is improved. But in anime form, shit, YYH English dub is legitimately engaging to sit back and watch. 2011 HxH anime looks too sterile and clean, and the english subtitles are often very basic translations with no pizazz. The actual dub doesn’t do much to alleviate this. There’s plenty cases in anime/games where the English localization goes too far with their “editorializing” but YYH is a rare case where they simply nailed it. It sounds like it was practically made in English originally.

I havent seen the older anime version of hxh; it looks a lot cooler.

I think the issue for me is the quality of the anime adaptation. In manga form, HxH is easily better than YYH. The storylines and characters are more layered and Togashi’s artwork is improved. But in anime form, shit, YYH English dub is legitimately engaging to sit back and watch. 2011 HxH anime looks too sterile and clean, and the english subtitles are often very basic translations with no pizazz. The actual dub doesn’t do much to alleviate this. There’s plenty cases in anime/games where the English localization goes too far with their “editorializing” but YYH is a rare case where they simply nailed it. It sounds like it was practically made in English originally.

I havent seen the older anime version of hxh; it looks a lot cooler.
Totally respectable opinion. I don't know if you'd enjoy the older one more or not.

If you feel the newer one looks too sterile and clean, you might like the older one more. The artstyle and tone is a lot darker and grittier, especially Yorknew. The dub is alright, it definitely doesn't hold a candle to yyh's dub.

The older show goes all the way up to Greed Island, technically. But the dub stops midway through Yorknew cause Viz stopped licensing the show at episode 62. So you'd have to switch from dub to fansubs for episodes 63-92 (the rest of Yorknew and all of Greed Island).

Spyxos

And what do you think? I could hardly remember the anime. I quite liked the first episode and the fights are 10 times better than in One pice.

It was surprisingly really good. It hits the main beats and maintains the spirit of the show. By the end I wished there was more.

I enjoyed it.

They mixed
the yukina rescue with the dark tournament with some plot points from the Sensui story arc I think.
Overall fun show. Amazing fighting scenes. Especially Kurama vs Karasu and Hiei vs Bui. Wife laughed when she saw Kurama's "furry" form. lol
Toguro's final form was a bit of a letdown though. Little Toguro was creepy as fuck.

I watched the anime when I was a teenager almost 30 years ago. I was surprised by how much I remember from the anime.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Never watched the anime and really liked the show.

Story is decent enough but what really made it for me was the choreography during the fight scenes, which is fucking good. Miles ahead of One Piece and many top tier shows that probably had a way bigger budget than this.

Gonna binge the anime and hope it gets a season 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom