• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

yuzu will pay $2.4 million in damages to Nintendo to settle their lawsuit

pepodmc_

I'm just saying, I know people are expecting Yuzu to get forked and work will continue under a different name like nothing happened, but the people involved with Yuzu legally cannot do that. They will get sued to oblivion if they violate the settlement. They'll end up like that guy who is an indentured servant of Nintendo for the rest of his life. It's not worth the trouble. I doubt they will go back to this well. I'm not saying that we will never get a Switch emulator ever again, because that's not true, but this Yuzu software, I doubt it.
they can, just dont put your name in the software and work in the shadows for some months, then release as a fork with a different name and problem solved. Like bombergames did with streets of rage remake for example.
The real problem is that, now that there is no money to make, a lot of developers will leave the project, just that.

RaduN

I was curious how this telemetry was devised, so I went and looked at a mirror of their code. The relevant parts are here

along with

For those not familiar with C++, this code essentially says: "look to see if a telemetry_id has been generated and is saved in the file system. If it's not found, generate one using standard cryptographic random functions and save it. If there's an error opening the file then write an error to the log."

It shares a lot of other info such as what game you were playing, what CPU / GPU you have, what your settings were, crash times, etc... But nothing actually personally identifiable that could be linked back to an individual for the purposes of a lawsuit - unless Yuzu were logging inbound IP addresses along with these reports server side.

My best advice would be to disable telemetry in the settings (and delete your existing telemetry_id file) - or better yet hold off on running any prior build of Yuzu at all, since Nintendo now presumably controls (or will control) this domain and will be able to easily log inbound IP addresses and match them with existing telemetry IDs to see who is playing (and has played) what when.

But Nintendo lawyer, a random tweet and.. wait for it...the daark weeeb, say that they steal your pussy pics. I mean, what other confirmation you need in life?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I've got a fellow forum member vouching for me and proof that I own the games I play via emulation.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Hey I was thinking that maybe you'd know but how about digitaly owned games?Would it be legal to play them assuming that you bought them online but since technically buying an online game is just a renting licence for the game, I was wondering if that was legal or not?
Other than that yeah like you I also have the games that I am emulating on the deck, simply because nothing else offers me the portability that the deck offers (except yesterday when an unpdate fucked up and rpcs3 wouldn't launch).

Topher

Gold Member
Hey I was thinking that maybe you'd know but how about digitaly owned games?Would it be legal to play them assuming that you bought them online but since technically buying an online game is just a renting licence for the game, I was wondering if that was legal or not?
Other than that yeah like you I also have the games that I am emulating on the deck, simply because nothing else offers me the portability that the deck offers (except yesterday when an unpdate fucked up and rpcs3 wouldn't launch).

Good question. I really have not looked into digital games bro. I know it can be done, obviously, but somehow it seemed a bit more of a gray area than a game that I have hands on, if that makes sense. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Yeah.....emulating on my Steam Deck is fantastic. That was really the thing that go me into emulation. I own the game and I want to be able to play it where ever I want, legally.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Good question. I really have not looked into digital games bro. I know it can be done, obviously, but somehow it seemed a bit more of a gray area than a game that I have hands on, if that makes sense. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Yeah.....emulating on my Steam Deck is fantastic. That was really the thing that go me into emulation. I own the game and I want to be able to play it where ever I want, legally.
Yeah emu deck is amazing even though a bit of a headscratcher at first because my linux course is a bit too old for me to remember...I am sure there's a lot of thing that aren't optimised (like redundant folders) but honestly for someone that could be considered novice, is was easier than I thought.And the community made so much walkthrough, I feel like there's one for everything....I have been replaying 007 Nightfire for the gamecube probably once a day since I got it (this one I even own 2 copies of it .... mostly because I am dumb), In hindsight I should've bought the bigger storage option, it would've avoided me so much problems.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah emu deck is amazing even though a bit of a headscratcher at first because my linux course is a bit too old for me to remember...I am sure there's a lot of thing that aren't optimised (like redundant folders) but honestly for someone that could be considered novice, is was easier than I thought.And the community made so much walkthrough, I feel like there's one for everything....I have been replaying 007 Nightfire for the gamecube probably once a day since I got it (this one I even own 2 copies of it .... mostly because I am dumb), In hindsight I should've bought the bigger storage option, it would've avoided me so much problems.

Got the 1 TB model and added 512GB SD card and I've been ok so far. My Rog Ally has a 2TB, but I probably should have put that in my Steam Deck really. Now I'm too lazy to swap them and reinstall everything. Maybe I'll just stay lazy until the Steam Deck 2 comes out.

th4tguy

What you posted here is nothing. Just Nintendo assumptions based on shit. Where is the proof?

They explicity say to use your own games and dump them, not get them from our secret vault. The fuck?
It’s not assumption. They recorded discord discussions with the devs showing they were using pirated roms to update their code prior to release of those games to ensure compatibility for those games by release. The motivation behind this was money. They tied release of major games once leaked to patreon subs and there was a clear trend there.

There is a reason yuzu team settled, agreeing to hand over assets, stop development, put out a public statement, and pay over 2 million in fines. No one agrees to terms like that unless they know for certain that if they go to court, they are utterly fucked.

Emulators are not illegal. Using pirated software, distributing pirated software, and making money off pirated intellectual ip is totally illegal.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Got the 1 TB model and added 512GB SD card and I've been ok so far. My Rog Ally has a 2TB, but I probably should have put that in my Steam Deck really. Now I'm too lazy to swap them and reinstall everything. Maybe I'll just stay lazy until the Steam Deck 2 comes out.
Yeah I got the 64GB model but godamn was it a hassle sometimes....But with a 1TB SD it works fine (but when they changed how they mount SD cards around half a year ago and all my protons got transfered to the internal memory gave me a good headache and it took me a day to fix).
Yeah I wonder how good the steam deck 2 will be, probably day one depending on my finances at the time since I plan to upgrade my pc in about a year, probably my speakers too (will switch to a real atmos)...I do hope I will be able to transfer my SD card easily.
As for emulation I wish that someday sony, nintendo and MS will just say "Fuck it connect your account and download the games you bought from your emulators",that would be easier for everybody.
But yeah I hope it is legal for digital games otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to play Tokyo jungle.

ReyBrujo

My best advice would be to disable telemetry in the settings (and delete your existing telemetry_id file) - or better yet hold off on running any prior build of Yuzu at all, since Nintendo now presumably controls (or will control) this domain and will be able to easily log inbound IP addresses and match them with existing telemetry IDs to see who is playing (and has played) what when.
They could do it, and it's a sound advice but I doubt Nintendo wants to go after the end users this time. However, if we are into paranoid mode Nintendo can easily match inbound IPs with Switches and freeze the ones that connect from the same IPs just to give a scare. By the way, I don't think yuzu was capturing IP information but Nintendo can totally try it out, if only to have regional statistics.

What you posted here is nothing. Just Nintendo assumptions based on shit. Where is the proof?
Well, they posted on Patreon a screenshot of Xenoblade running on their emulator one day before the official release. Maybe you don't believe that's proof enough but for Nintendo _and_ yuzu it was.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If it's on the speedometer I need to check it can actually go that fast and I got what I paid for. Those numbers are kind of encouraging people ;)

I had a friend in the 90's use this excuse when pulled up for speeding, the cop said he liked the excuse and made him smile but he was still booking him because he doesn't get the chance to write out tickets for idiots doing over 300kph often.
You live in germany?

Sleepwalker

Guess that means you are not going to admit that you pirate old games, huh? That's fine. We all know now.

Took these pics so might as well show them..

Here are the PS3 games I'm currently emulating and their disks. They are sitting on the very PC blu ray drive that I use to rip the games.

Xz0OHNu.jpg

Here is the stack of games I have for emulation currently.

5nlc0B8.jpg

I posted the same shit with my switch ages ago and he just said my argument was a strawman and that good for me.

Glad to see he got banned for trolling. Even funnier that hes pirating older games lol

Sleepwalker

You can use a modded switch to rip digital games you own too, in my book its perfectly OK.

tkscz

pretty relevant.

Posted on the previous page, already got people claiming it isn't enough evidence regardless of if that was the case Tropical Haze wouldn't have settled so quickly as they would have had nothing to hide. Hell it even has quotes from Bunnei not denying the claims.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
They they were distributing roms through Discord as well. Seems reasonable to go after them

They were distributing roms for a system still being sold, earning nearly 30,000 every month from their patreon, and clearly were not doing this because they wanted to "preserve" games, but to make a profit.

Normally I am all for video game preservation, but Yuzu dug their own grave here.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They were distributing roms for a system still being sold, earning nearly 30,000 every month from their patreon, and clearly were not doing this because they wanted to "preserve" games, but to make a profit.

Normally I am all for video game preservation, but Yuzu dug their own grave here.
And people get shocked about why Nintendo go after them and Yuzu are not stupid, they knew what they are getting themselves in to.

Topher

Gold Member

That has become increasingly apparent. No wonder Yuzu folded so quickly. Wasn't even about the emulator.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
That has become increasingly apparent. No wonder Yuzu folded so quickly. Wasn't even about the emulator.

Yep. Which is also why other emulators are still up and not being "harassed" (as some users here would claim) by Nintendo. They aren't actively trying to make profits and push stolen products.

RaduN

They could do it, and it's a sound advice but I doubt Nintendo wants to go after the end users this time. However, if we are into paranoid mode Nintendo can easily match inbound IPs with Switches and freeze the ones that connect from the same IPs just to give a scare. By the way, I don't think yuzu was capturing IP information but Nintendo can totally try it out, if only to have regional statistics.

Well, they posted on Patreon a screenshot of Xenoblade running on their emulator one day before the official release. Maybe you don't believe that's proof enough but for Nintendo _and_ yuzu it was.
I had Xeno on my Switch 2 days before official release. I guess that's all the proof one needs that i broke into Nintenohs servers and stole it not that the shop broke release date, no sir.
How much jailtime should i expect?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I had Xeno on my Switch 2 days before official release. I guess that's all the proof one needs that i broke into Nintenohs servers and stole it not that the shop broke release date, no sir.
How much jailtime should i expect?
The store would be in trouble for doing that, not you. You purchased the game, the store gave it to you early.

Yuzu is in trouble for releasing roms days before launch (and in general). They weren't buying and giving out copies, they were stealing them.

They aren't the same thing.

Last edited:

odhiex

Welp...what is this? lol
The development of the Yuzu was permanently halted, but the popular Nintendo Switch emulator will continue to live on thanks to multiple projects that were recently launched.

The Nuzu and the aptly-named Suyu projects are both open-source works based on the latest version of Yuzu, they do not support piracy in any capacity and are currently looking for developers, so they currently do not offer anything past what the popular emulator they are based on does. Still, this shows how the emulation community is unwilling to back down.

RaduN

The store would be in trouble for doing that, not you. You purchased the game, the store gave it to you early.

Yuzu is in trouble for releasing roms days before launch (and in general). They weren't buying and giving out copies, they were stealing them.

They aren't the same thing.
Yeah, but where is the actual proof of that?
They have always, since day 1 been completely against piracy, with zero tolerance.
All i see is they "allegedly" did some stuff somewhere.
I mean, Trump allegedly raped a 12 years old girl, but, you know, still needs to be proven, though it's somehow much more believable than Yuzu team giving out roms left and right.

Kadve

Someone over at gamefaqs shared this list on why we shouldn't feel bad for Yuzu over this and why they got what was coming to them. No idea how much is true though.

As a preface, discord shared group messages of the Yuzu developers to Nintendo during the case.
Essentially, this revealed the following:
  • Yuzu devs were using a Google drive of pirated games to develop the emulator.
  • They were intentionally holding features back from live builds so Early Access builds could make a profit.
  • They attempted to emulate online (? Mentioned that they spend months on this and then took it down day of, not sure specifics.)
  • They were in a sponsorship with a YouTube for money.
  • They stole code from a user online. And stole code from the other switch emulator, Ryujinx
  • Plus the Totk patch being intentionally held back, and having to be developed on pirated copies so it would release early.
So essentially, the point Nintendo was making was not truly due to Yuzu emulating switch hardware; but due to them pirating games themselves and selling features to users for running leaked pirated games. It's hard to deny that they brought it onto themselves, as they were not following the law when it came to development.
So essentially, the point Nintendo was making was not truly due to Yuzu emulating switch hardware; but due to them pirating games themselves and selling features to users for running leaked pirated games. It's hard to deny that they brought it onto themselves, as they were not following the law when it came to development.

Im personally disappointed in this result, as it was purely as a result of greed. At this point I'll likely move over to Ryujinx as a result due to the actions of Yuzu developers. And I hope this clears it up to those defending Yuzu as they were the ones who made their own problems.
This link is to a source image with the discord Screen shots in question. Summarized above.
196635745551646720/1214455247574011954/ZWoSZSt.png?ex=65f92c96&is=65e6b796
&hm=5a5b604611d7aabb3897db9457bf95ba8fe963ae66f
d40311061512dcada66ab&

daclynk

and people here defend this

GHG

Gold Member
Someone over at gamefaqs shared this list on why we shouldn't feel bad for Yuzu over this and why they got what was coming to them. No idea how much is true though.

Some more insight into this BTW:

The Pineapple guy used to work for Yuzu. The other guys didn't like that he releases the EA versions for free so they sent him a cease and desist letter, but Yuzu is open source so I think the cease and desist didn't/ doesn't hold any water.

Now the Pineapple guy works on Ryujinx and still releases the EA versions of Yuzu for free

The latest versions of Yuzu pineapple are still available without any issues FWIW but he will also be no longer developing it going forwards.

It's more likely that the guys who worked on pineapple will work on one of the other offshoot projects that have come about (or will come about) as a result of all this.

hlm666

You live in germany?
nah australia, he wouldn't have been breaking the law in germany on an autobhan right? It was a queensland highway which had a limit of 120kph and he was on a 96 or 97 kawasaki ninja with a bunch of work done to it.

DaGwaphics

lmao wow.

Probably not getting a switch 2 emulator from these guys

Switch 2 emulator (and the forthcoming forked versions of Yuzu :messenger_winking_tongue:) will use a more p2p distribution method while also never identifying the creators. This doesn't stop emulation in the slightest. It will stop people from having a public face around it and accepting donations in official currency.

ReyBrujo

Switch 2 emulator (and the forthcoming forked versions of Yuzu :messenger_winking_tongue:) will use a more p2p distribution method while also never identifying the creators. This doesn't stop emulation in the slightest. It will stop people from having a public face around it and accepting donations in official currency.

Hiding the developers, delivering updates via P2P, accepting donations that cannot be traced... that would almost be admitting such emulator is created purely for piracy.

lefty1117

Gold Member
You're saying that if it was possible to emulate a PS5 for all the exlusives/day one stuff nobody would do it?
my point is that it's not really feasible because there isn't such a discrepancy between PS5 performance and midrange PC performance. You'd probably have a significant performance hit trying to emulate PS5 on current PC hardware, too much so for it to make sense to do it except for the extreme fringe that either has something against buying a console, or get the thrill out of piracy. 10 years from now I'd guess there will be PS5 emulation that attracts more people because the modern hardware will be much better and through emulation you can do things to make older games look even better.

But with the switch, it just looks bad compared to even average PCs.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
my point is that it's not really feasible because there isn't such a discrepancy between PS5 performance and midrange PC performance. You'd probably have a significant performance hit trying to emulate PS5 on current PC hardware, too much so for it to make sense to do it except for the extreme fringe that either has something against buying a console, or get the thrill out of piracy. 10 years from now I'd guess there will be PS5 emulation that attracts more people because the modern hardware will be much better and through emulation you can do things to make older games look even better.

But with the switch, it just looks bad compared to even average PCs.
Isn’t emulation for preservation! And people don’t want to preserve PS5 games? 😂

Joking aside, people can emulate old retired games/console. But I have issues with emulating current/games consoles.

ReyBrujo

Looks like that 15-odd boy had his fun and now took his Nuzu repository down after his mom sent him to bed without dinner. Or after realizing he knew nothing about coding.

tkscz

Nin says thanks for $2.4 mil
They might not get it at all. The suite was toward Tropical Haze LLC. They can send the company into bankruptcy and never pay a penny out of pocket our even out of the Patreon. Nintendo may actually not receive a penny because of how LLC works.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo exposes jail breakers, hackers, emulators better than anybody this is why I never mess with pirating, torrents or jailbroken devices. Your head isn’t in the right place messing with emulators, or aren’t in charge of your network.

Having seen what has come to light regarding the Yuzu team, I can't really argue in their favour. I apologise to Nintendo for calling them a bully for going after the Yuzu team, no wonder they got them so quickly. I'm sticking to my guns and I still think Nintendo are soulless shite in comparison to their old self though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I posted a few pages back, but I looked through the source code to see how the telemetry is created and sent. There isn't anything personally identifiable in it (nothing that legally could come back to you), but the biggest issue is that if Nintendo controls the domain name this telemetry is sent to then they could easily capture the inbound IP address that's sending these reports. IP address information is admissible in court, it's how they used to do all those "John Doe" lawsuits for bittorrent users back in the day.

So, best advice would be to stop using Yuzu all together, but barring that just make sure that telemetry is disabled (it's off by default anyway).

Top Bottom