• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

yuzu will pay $2.4 million in damages to Nintendo to settle their lawsuit

Kadve

One could argue that they do. In the United States, the maximum speed limit is 70mph and yet plenty of sports car manufacturers brag about their car's "performance". That's performance that legally should never be experienced and yet there isn't a minute in the day when someone is not breaking the law speeding.

This is from the Chevrolet Corvette web page:
xwAcMFB.png

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette

So yeah, I think @cireza has a good analogy here.
Note though that they specify "track speed". Aka that people should only go that fast on closed off tracks and if people chose to do it on roads they cant do anything about it.

Topher

Gold Member
Note though that they specify "track speed". Aka that people should only go that fast on closed off tracks and if people chose to do it on roads they cant do anything about it.

Kind of like people who legally rip their own game cartridges. Yuzu had all kinds of piracy disclaimers on their websites as well.

Last edited:

radewagon

As others have said... maybe don't go around bragging you've got Tears Of The Kingdom running on your emulation platform before the game fucking releases. Any argument about 'we don't do this to pirate games' goes right out the window. They didn't have a leg to stand on.
Yeah. Emulating currently available hardware is kind of a dumb idea. Most emulation flies under the legal radar, I think, because it's emulating tech that doesn't harm a company's bottom line in a terribly significant way. This was bound to end poorly and will have unfortunate ripple effects.

Kenpachii

We got Nuzu and Suyu now.

https://wccftech.com/yuzu-lives-on/

The development of the Yuzu was permanently halted, but the popular Nintendo Switch emulator will continue to live on thanks to multiple projects that were recently launched.

The Nuzu and the aptly-named Suyu projects are both open-source works based on the latest version of Yuzu, they do not support piracy in any capacity and are currently looking for developers, so they currently do not offer anything past what the popular emulator they are based on does. Still, this shows how the emulation community is unwilling to back down.

suyu, prounced "sue-you" is the afterlife the world's most popular, open-source, Nintendo Switch emulator — started by the creators of Citra.

Last edited:

hlm666

If the car manufacturer were encouraging people to drive at 120mph there would also be lawsuits (y)
If it's on the speedometer I need to check it can actually go that fast and I got what I paid for. Those numbers are kind of encouraging people ;)

I had a friend in the 90's use this excuse when pulled up for speeding, the cop said he liked the excuse and made him smile but he was still booking him because he doesn't get the chance to write out tickets for idiots doing over 300kph often.

Švejk

Why does it matter. You had to buy the games anyway for the emulation to matter. Sounds sus.
That's the thing... I don't buy their games and avoid Nintendo altogether simply because of their absurd prices. Only bought a Switch for Zelda and Metroid stuff, and besides Link's Awakening (which was fantastic), everything else in those 2 franchises have not been worth the $60-$70 price to me... Would I buy them if they dropped later on like every other game out on the market? Sure... But they don't... So screw them. They won't get my money any further. Only thing sus is Nintendo, but no one seems to see it.

ReyBrujo

We got Nuzu and Suyu now.
And we got 4200 other forks. I could fork it and upload a copy as well, you could. But do they have the know-how to develop it? See nuzu's developer profile:

BXrMoap.png

A (maybe) 15-yeard old boy with 30 commits in one year who had to edit the README 13 times and didn't even kept the whole history tree.

Now Suyu: The guy didn't even know he was using the wrong pinEApple code, he did not understand an issue who was brought to him and since he didn't know how to fix it he asked others to do it. I doubt he's qualified to even setting up the project (which is what I think he wants, getting developers on there but being seen as "founder" or "leader" even if he's technically not capable).

PqzWKDC.png

Yes, some might go help but as soon as they realize the keeper is an a**hole who only wants to give orders they will leave. I have seen that happen dozens of times.

Nintendo's blow was direct at the team, they effectively forced them to retire. The code can be cloned but without them (who accounted for the vast majority of the changes) the project will slow down immensely and eventually stop. It's much better going to help Ryujinx who still is on track, who got people who know what they are doing and who are (still) doing it for passion and not money or contempt.

Last edited:

daclynk

and how
Their quick settlement seems to imply they did. The suit wasn’t about emulation, it’s about DMCA infringement. Which from what I’m reading Yuzu had/stole code?

Edit: pretty suspect they had games running before release dates!
really, im shock people still defends them.

Banjo64

cumsessed
One could argue that they do. In the United States, the maximum speed limit is 70mph and yet plenty of sports car manufacturers brag about their car's "performance". That's performance that legally should never be experienced and yet there isn't a minute in the day when someone is not breaking the law speeding.

xwAcMFB.png

I’d argue that they aren’t encouraging you to drive that fast when there’s a speed limit in play. Because I’m a twat.

Fabieter

xwAcMFB.png

You can take this car to Germany and use it as you should ;).

Hardensoul

Gold Member
That's the thing... I don't buy their games and avoid Nintendo altogether simply because of their absurd prices. Only bought a Switch for Zelda and Metroid stuff, and besides Link's Awakening (which was fantastic), everything else in those 2 franchises have not been worth the $60-$70 price to me... Would I buy them if they dropped later on like every other game out on the market? Sure... But they don't... So screw them. They won't get my money any further. Only thing sus is Nintendo, but no one seems to see it.
So, what’s your point? It’s ok to pirate if you don’t like their other games and their prices?

I can say the same for Sony or Ms games, hell I don’t like a lot of recent pricing off many AAA games. But I don’t go advocating for piracy!

Švejk

So, what’s your point? It’s ok to pirate if you don’t like their other games and their prices?

I can say the same for Sony or Ms games, hell I don’t like a lot of recent pricing off many AAA games. But I don’t go advocating for piracy!
WTF are you getting at putting words in my mouth? Who said anything about piracy?? I'm simply talking game prices. Period. I never advocated to anything piracy related.

If you look at game prices Sony vs Nintendo, 95% of Nintendo's 1st party games SINCE THE LAUNCH OF THE SWITCH OVER 7 YEARS AGO, ALL retail at $60 still (digital). THIS is the point I'm making. You will not find another other first party developer reflecting the same price absurdity for old ass fucking games like Nintendo's ultra stubborn pricing.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
WTF are you getting at putting words in my mouth? Who said anything about piracy?? I'm simply talking game prices. Period. I never advocated to anything piracy related.

If you look at game prices Sony vs Nintendo, 95% of Nintendo's 1st party games SINCE THE LAUNCH OF THE SWITCH OVER 7 YEARS AGO, ALL retail at $60 still (digital). THIS is the point I'm making. You will not find another other first party developer reflecting the same price absurdity for old ass fucking games like Nintendo's ultra stubborn pricing.
If you aren’t advocating for piracy, apologies. But we are in a thread talking about piracy suit and emulation. Nintendo isn’t like other companies that drop their price as quickly as others. They value their games.

People always bring up Nintendo prices when talking about emulating their games. Why? If emulating or dumping roms require you to own the games. What’s the prices have to do with that. Which either leads us to believe that most games being played on those emulators aren’t theirs but pirated games.

Especially games that aren’t released yet!

I’m not against emulation. Just games emulating current consoles and especially unreleased games! Old consoles/games that aren’t being sold have at it!

Švejk

If you aren’t advocating for piracy, apologies. But we are in a thread talking about piracy suit and emulation. Nintendo isn’t like other companies that drop their price as quickly as others. They value their games.

People always bring up Nintendo prices when talking about emulating their games. Why? If emulating or dumping roms require you to own the games. What’s the prices have to do with that. Which either leads us to believe that most games being played on those emulators aren’t theirs but pirated games.

Especially games that aren’t released yet!

I’m not against emulation. Just games emulating current consoles and especially unreleased games! Old consoles/games that aren’t being sold have at it!
Thank you, and I understand and agree. I do respect that Nintendo values their games, as they do more than almost any other franchises out there.. just those prices need to lax. They still have BOTW (no offense to your avatar) listed as $60. It's literally 7 years old as of 2 days ago... Could they not drop this to $40 now? It's a good game, but it's technically a WiiU game that was ported to switch.

One way to have their systems and/or games not to be emulated at launch practically, would be if they ramped up their hardware tech. With such dated hardware, it just makes it easier for these folks to emulate. No one (afaik) is emulating a PS5 yet, and it's going on 4 years old now.. not that there's anything much on there that's exclusive, but it tries to keep up with PC while maintaining affordability.

Nintendo has the strongest 1st party lineup ever, but if they want to bring in more people and revenue, they seem to be missing bigger key points.. not keeping older games at launch MSRP.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Thank you, and I understand and agree. I do respect that Nintendo values their games, as they do more than almost any other franchises out there.. just those prices need to lax. They still have BOTW (no offense to your avatar) listed as $60. It's literally 7 years old as of 2 days ago... Could they not drop this to $40 now? It's a good game, but it's technically a WiiU game that was ported to switch.

One way to have their systems and/or games not to be emulated at launch practically, would be if they ramped up their hardware tech. With such dated hardware, it just makes it easier for these folks to emulate. No one (afaik) is emulating a PS5 yet, and it's going on 4 years old now.. not that there's anything much on there that's exclusive, but it tries to keep up with PC while maintaining affordability.

Nintendo has the strongest 1st party lineup ever, but if they want to bring in more people and revenue, they seem to be missing bigger key points.. not keeping older games at launch MSRP.
There have been a lot sales of BoTW below $40 and recently $50 of TotK. I usually follow Wario64 on Twitter, he post a lot stuff for sales.

I’m no marketer but Nintendo strategy seem to be working for them. Sure I would like for them to have lower prices. But I don’t run a business.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You made the assertion that catching people who drive too fast was easy.
I know this whole car analogy has played out already, but the biggest factor at play here is that when you're speeding in a car, you're doing so in public view. Being in public view makes it "easy" to catch people doing it. In fact, most private roads in America have no legal speed limit - if you built a mile long driveway or racetrack on your own property, you could take that corvette up to it's max speed and nobody would give a shit. But do that on a public road, that's monitored regularly by the police, and you're much more likely to get caught.

Another reason it's easy to catch people speeding in their cars (or stabbing people, or shooting them, etc.) is that we as a society have come together and created laws against these things. They are considered criminal offenses, and we have established methods for catching and detaining individuals who perform these actions. In the case of copyright infringement (pirating content), it's only illegal in the US if you're distributing that content for money. It's why that Gary Bowser guy got arrested by the federal police, while these guys just got served some court papers and agreed to a settlement.

Anyway, contrast all that with video game piracy, which typically happens in the comfort and relative privacy of a person's own home using tools that are often 100% offline (unlike something like Bittorrent, where by nature of the technology your IP address is exposed publicly). If Nintendo found out they were doing it somehow, could they file a civil lawsuit against them like this one? Sure, but you can file a civil suit against anyone for any reason. Could they potentially win in court if they did? Probably. But every time you make a case, you run the risk of someone actually challenging you and taking it to court. How will they differentiate between someone dumping their legally owned cartridge, and having downloaded one from the internet? Will the judge understand or care about the difference between prod.keys files from the internet vs dumped from your own machine? Most importantly, can you successfully argue that what this one individual did caused monetary damages to your company? Multiply that scenario out by a few tens of thousands of times, and you're likely to find a judge somewhere that's tired of your bullshit and just rules in favor of the individual. If and when that happens, you've established a precedent and sent a message that it's okay to pirate games - and that equals less console and game sales for your company in the future. Not to mention, this would be a massive undertaking even for Nintendo's army of lawyers.

Again I'm not a lawyer, but I assume the above is why they haven't gone after individuals.

tkscz

Hhmm! They were collecting user data?

Edit: They just handed those user data to Nintendo?

Oh look at that, questioning how Nintendo were able to even pull it off came in handy.

Something told me there was more to this case and it wasn't just "NiNtEnDo Is UsInG bUlLyInG tAcTiCs". Even Nintendo's lawyers know they can't just sue over an emulator by itself, they've tried. It's perfectly fine to rip a ROM from a game you purchased but you can't share that game to your discord, and that's exactly what Tropical Haze was doing. Isn't there a screenshot of their discord showing them sharing ROM files in a stash, think it was Xenoblade Chronicles HD. I find it funny that the Nintendo Ninja's were hidding in their discord and watching them do it first hand, would explain why they knew they had a case.

Also Tropal Haze was collecting user data, now I don't know what they were doing with that data, but now Nintendo has it and knows everyone who pirated the ROM from the discord. Going to be hearing about this in the coming days.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Oh look at that, questioning how Nintendo were able to even pull it off came in handy.

Something told me there was more to this case and it wasn't just "NiNtEnDo Is UsInG bUlLyInG tAcTiCs". Even Nintendo's lawyers know they can't just sue over an emulator by itself, they've tried. It's perfectly fine to rip a ROM from a game you purchased but you can't share that game to your discord, and that's exactly what Tropical Haze was doing. Isn't there a screenshot of their discord showing them sharing ROM files in a stash, think it was Xenoblade Chronicles HD. I find it funny that the Nintendo Ninja's were hidding in their discord and watching them do it first hand, would explain why they knew they had a case.

Also Tropal Haze was collecting user data, now I don't know what they were doing with that data, but now Nintendo has it and knows everyone who pirated the ROM from the discord. Going to be hearing about this in the coming days.
Isn’t some of the stuff in the tweet criminal? Seemed much worse than the case against that Bowser guy!

Last edited:

RaduN

I was on the Yuzu discord and everytime someone talked about piracy, there were two outcomes: 1st recieved a warning, 2nd ban.

Nobody shared roms, keys and other shit.

tkscz

I was on the Yuzu discord and everytime someone talked about piracy, there were two outcomes: 1st recieved a warning, 2nd ban.

Nobody shared roms, keys and other shit.
They were sharing the ROMs amongst the devs, which is still sharing ROMs.

GH4qnbRXYAA24Cf

GH4q9U2WsAIZcwi

GH7Eh18WAAA6Pl8

GH7Eh3FWsAAiVU8

daclynk

Pretty fucking convenient to link a github that no longer exists.

Retarded fucks will never understand that a fix can fix multiple games, not just one, be it released or not.
Sure keep telling yourself that.

Edit: Now answer @ tkscz tkscz

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
i really hope they dont try to sue everybody like the RIAA tried back in the kazaa/emule craze.
I was curious how this telemetry was devised, so I went and looked at a mirror of their code. The relevant parts are here

static u64 GenerateTelemetryId() {
u64 telemetry_id{};

mbedtls_entropy_context entropy;
mbedtls_entropy_init(&entropy);
mbedtls_ctr_drbg_context ctr_drbg;
static constexpr std::array<char, 18> personalization{{"yuzu Telemetry ID"}};

mbedtls_ctr_drbg_init(&ctr_drbg);
ASSERT(mbedtls_ctr_drbg_seed(&ctr_drbg, mbedtls_entropy_func, &entropy,
reinterpret_cast<const unsigned char*>(personalization.data()),
personalization.size()) == 0);
ASSERT(mbedtls_ctr_drbg_random(&ctr_drbg, reinterpret_cast<unsigned char*>(&telemetry_id),
sizeof(u64)) == 0);

mbedtls_ctr_drbg_free(&ctr_drbg);
mbedtls_entropy_free(&entropy);

return telemetry_id;
}

along with

u64 GetTelemetryId() {
u64 telemetry_id{};
const auto filename = Common::FS::GetYuzuPath(Common::FS::YuzuPath::ConfigDir) / "telemetry_id";

bool generate_new_id = !Common::FS::Exists(filename);

if (!generate_new_id) {
Common::FS::IOFile file{filename, Common::FS::FileAccessMode::Read,
Common::FS::FileType::BinaryFile};

if (!file.IsOpen()) {
LOG_ERROR(Core, "failed to open telemetry_id: {}",
Common::FS::pathToUTF8String(filename));
return {};
}

if (!file.ReadObject(telemetry_id) || telemetry_id == 0) {
LOG_ERROR(Frontend, "telemetry_id is 0. Generating a new one.", telemetry_id);
generate_new_id = true;
}
}

if (generate_new_id) {
Common::FS::IOFile file{filename, Common::FS::FileAccessMode::Write,
Common::FS::FileType::BinaryFile};

if (!file.IsOpen()) {
LOG_ERROR(Core, "failed to open telemetry_id: {}",
Common::FS::pathToUTF8String(filename));
return {};
}

telemetry_id = GenerateTelemetryId();

if (!file.WriteObject(telemetry_id)) {
LOG_ERROR(Core, "Failed to write telemetry_id to file.");
}
}

return telemetry_id;
}

For those not familiar with C++, this code essentially says: "look to see if a telemetry_id has been generated and is saved in the file system. If it's not found, generate one using standard cryptographic random functions and save it. If there's an error opening the file then write an error to the log."

It shares a lot of other info such as what game you were playing, what CPU / GPU you have, what your settings were, crash times, etc... But nothing actually personally identifiable that could be linked back to an individual for the purposes of a lawsuit - unless Yuzu were logging inbound IP addresses along with these reports server side.

My best advice would be to disable telemetry in the settings (and delete your existing telemetry_id file) - or better yet hold off on running any prior build of Yuzu at all, since Nintendo now presumably controls (or will control) this domain and will be able to easily log inbound IP addresses and match them with existing telemetry IDs to see who is playing (and has played) what when.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Right.....so you are calling those of us who rip our own games liars while admitting that you emulate old games. So where did you get those old games?
That's what I'm saying, I think it's acceptable to emulate old games. I'm all for emulation as a way to preserve older games that would be otherwise be difficult to play.

Do you think everyone who uses yuzu buys then rips their own games?

Obviously we both know the answer and your just being difficult. You may well rip your own games, but you are naive if you think many many thousands of people are not using yuzu to pirate current gen brand new games.

If you don't see a problem with that or how it can hurt the industry we love then we just disagree on a fundamental level and that's fine.

Topher

Gold Member
That's what I'm saying, I think it's acceptable to emulate old games. I'm all for emulation as a way to preserve older games that would be otherwise be difficult to play.

Do you think everyone who uses yuzu buys then rips their own games?

Obviously we both know the answer and your just being difficult. You may well rip your own games, but you are naive if you think many many thousands of people are not using yuzu to pirate current gen brand new games.

If you don't see a problem with that or how it can hurt the industry we love then we just disagree on a fundamental level and that's fine.

You didn't answer my question. Where do you get the games you emulate?

Topher

Gold Member
I'll tell you when you show your stack of switch games you ripped with today's date on your phone in the pic 🤔

I stated previously that I sold my Switch and my games long before this Yuzu topic came around. IFireflyl IFireflyl can vouch for me though since we have had private discussions on this last year.

Having said all that, I do still emulate games for PS2 and PS3. And yeah, I ripped every single one from my own media. I'll be updating this post shortly with proof. Stand by.

Edit: From my Steam Deck.

dK9O1rY.jpg

Last edited:

buenoblue

I stated previously that I sold my Switch and my games long before this Yuzu topic came around. IFireflyl IFireflyl can vouch for me though since we have had private discussions on this last year.

Having said all that, I do still emulate games for PS2 and PS3. And yeah, I ripped every single one from my own media. I'll be updating this post shortly with proof. Stand by.

dK9O1rY.jpg
Honestly mate I don't give a shit what you do or emulate. I just don't think it's right to provide people with the tools to pirate new games on a current gen console. This is my opinion and if you don't agree that's fine.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

dK9O1rY.jpg

I think you wasted your time bothering with proof. The argument he's making is that there is an arbitrary line in the sand, and that he gets to make the decision of what is right and what is wrong. Even with your supplied proof, he's just going to say that you're the exception, not the rule. Then he's going to say that Yuzu (and any current-gen emulation software) deserves to be shut down because most people using it are also using pirated copies of games that are (potentially) cutting into current game sales.

EDIT: He already did, lol.

Honestly mate I don't give a shit what you do or emulate. I just don't think it's right to provide people with the tools to pirate new games on a current gen console. This is my opinion and if you don't agree that's fine.

Okay, so where do we stand on my modded Switch? I modded it solely for the purpose of ripping my games. It's official Nintendo hardware, and custom firmware. Should I be required to toss my Switch because other people with the same setup pirate their games?

Last edited:

Fabieter

Actually I think if you arguing about piracy you should go full force and say its never the right thing to do even with old games.

Company x could make a remastered of said game any time and you will just say I already played it modded on an emulator and it looked just as good as the remastered. Why would I pay money for it. I get your point but there shouldn't be a destinction between piracy.

Topher

Gold Member

Guess that means you are not going to admit that you pirate old games, huh? That's fine. We all know now.

Took these pics so might as well show them..

Here are the PS3 games I'm currently emulating and their disks. They are sitting on the very PC blu ray drive that I use to rip the games.

Xz0OHNu.jpg

Here is the stack of games I have for emulation currently.

5nlc0B8.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
I think you wasted your time bothering with proof. The argument he's making is that there is an arbitrary line in the sand, and that he gets to make the decision of what is right and what is wrong. Even with your supplied proof, he's just going to say that you're the exception, not the rule. Then he's going to say that Yuzu (and any current-gen emulation software) deserves to be shut down because most people using it are also using pirated copies of games that are (potentially) cutting into current game sales.

EDIT: He already did, lol.

Yeah......I don't think anyone should have to prove anything here really. If someone tells me they own X device or they rip their own games then I'm just going to believe them rather than be a dick about it. But I felt the need to do it anyway. And yeah, I'm just shaking my head at this bullshit distinction being made here that pirating old games is ok, but pirating new games is not. Weird logic.

Actually I think if you arguing about piracy you should go full force and say its never the right thing to do even with old games.

Company x could make a remastered of said game any time and you will just say I already played it modded on an emulator and it looked just as good as the remastered. Why would I pay money for it. I get your point but there shouldn't be a destinction between piracy.

Exactly

Last edited:

buenoblue

Guess that means you are not going to admit that you pirate old games, huh? That's fine. We all know now.

Took these pics so might as well show them..

Here are the PS3 games I'm currently emulating and their disks. They are sitting on the very PC blu ray drive that I use to rip the games.

Xz0OHNu.jpg

Here is the stack of games I have for emulation currently.

5nlc0B8.jpg

Lot of righteous fucks in here I see 😂

So we doing it huh🤷‍♂️

I asked you for proof of ownership of these switch games you legally bought them ripped. Which you didn't provide😂

Instead you post a pic of a pile of useless crap totally unrelated to the topic😂😂😂

As you sold your switch games am I to understand that you no longer emulate these switch games as that would be ILLEGAL!!!

Which leads me to the obvious question, why are you getting so upset in a thread about switch emulation that you no longer use? 🤔😂

cAZyqPr.jpg

RaduN

They were sharing the ROMs amongst the devs, which is still sharing ROMs.

GH4qnbRXYAA24Cf

GH4q9U2WsAIZcwi

GH7Eh18WAAA6Pl8

GH7Eh3FWsAAiVU8
What you posted here is nothing. Just Nintendo assumptions based on shit. Where is the proof?

They explicity say to use your own games and dump them, not get them from our secret vault. The fuck?

Top Bottom