• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd Games announces Cosmic Star Heroine (Suikoden/PhantasyStar-inspired Unity RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal27

Banned
I am so hyped for this game. SO HYPED. My Vita is going to be getting some serious playtime. Then again... Maybe I should go PS4? I can't decide...

What native resolution is the final game going to be running in? Does it have an optional fake scanline/CRT filter? I only backed the game at the minimum $10 level, so I won't get the beta, but it would be nice to get these questions answered.

First time I hear of this game. Just checked the steam page and it looks awesome! Is the release date known yet? I'll probably buy it on release unless it comes out close to some big release.

What native resolution is the final game going to be running in? Does it have an optional fake scanline/CRT filter? I only backed the game at the minimum $10 level, so I won't get the beta, but it would be nice to get these questions answered.

The default native resolution is 480 x 270, but it changes somewhat depending on the target resolution to better fit the screen.

No optional scanline/CRT filters. We might do one post-launch, but I'm personally not a big fan and the graphics weren't designed with CRT filters in mind.

The default native resolution is 480 x 270, but it changes somewhat depending on the target resolution to better fit the screen.

No optional scanline/CRT filters. We might do one post-launch, but I'm personally not a big fan and the graphics weren't designed with CRT filters in mind.

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. At that resolution, I would think that you would be using a large color palette to offset the appearance of the sharp, large pixels on fixed panel displays, but I haven't really paid too much attention to any game screens you might have provided more recently. I just figured that since it was initially pitched as more of a 16-bit/32-bit 2D console RPG, in terms of visual characteristics, it might also benefit from a more nostalgic display filtering.

Knurek

You should definitely add a secret FF5/6 PC mode that on a 1080p monitor scales first to 1440p with bilinear filtering and then downscales to 1080p using no filtering.
Or whatever else you can do to make the image look downright terrible. SuperEagle scaler?

You should definitely add a secret FF5/6 PC mode that on a 1080p monitor scales first to 1440p with bilinear filtering and then downscales to 1080p using no filtering.
Or whatever else you can do to make the image look downright terrible. SuperEagle scaler?

And it also adds 5-10 second pauses every time you try to open an menu, FF5/6 PS1 style.

slash000

Zeboyd Games

The way our game scrolls means that a scanline filter wouldn't really work properly.

Things scroll at screen resolution. So when the camera pans it doesn't pan whole pixels at a time. It creates an extremely clean, smooth, nice effect. But it means that pixels aren't always lined up in an exact 480x270 grid. Ergo if we put scanlines on that grid, pixels would be shifting in and out of those lines, creating a weird, annoying flickery effect

I am unsure if I want to play this before the game actually comes out. I have a feeling I'll get to the end of the beta and it will make the wait for the actual game torturous.

I want to play more of the beta but gonna wait for the full thing. Looking good so far though.

Is the gift key for the full game by the way, or just the beta?

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Game is looking great so far; so happy to have backed this. Quick question, is it normal to get 24 FPS right now? I'm running an MSI 1070 GTX and an Intel i7 5820k.

No,it's normal to get 60 frames per second on that awesome PC.
Do you have an integrated GPU in addition to your 1070? We just got a report from a friend with a nice Nvidia GPU and he futzed with the Nvidia control panel to make sure the game is running properly thru the nice GPU the right way ( I don't know the details off hand yet). We'll have to investigate, it's something that our own machines don't have the situation to test ourselves.

But no, your PC should be hitting 1080p/60 easily.

edit:
Not sure if this is your situation but worth looking into:
"NVIDIA control panel , Manage 3D Settings , Program Settings , select the game exe and there should be an option to replace the default launch option." -- ie make sure it's launching the game on your 1070 at normal speeds.

Is there any new game themes we havent heard yet? I still cant get over that sexy ass main theme.

There's a bunch of new music in the beta build that we haven't posted publicly

clo1_2000

Banned
No,it's normal to get 60 frames per second on that awesome PC.
Do you have an integrated GPU in addition to your 1070? We just got a report from a friend with a nice Nvidia GPU and he futzed with the Nvidia control panel to make sure the game is running properly thru the nice GPU the right way ( I don't know the details off hand yet). We'll have to investigate, it's something that our own machines don't have the situation to test ourselves.

But no, your PC should be hitting 1080p/60 easily.

edit:
Not sure if this is your situation but worth looking into:
"NVIDIA control panel , Manage 3D Settings , Program Settings , select the game exe and there should be an option to replace the default launch option." -- ie make sure it's launching the game on your 1070 at normal speeds.

There's a bunch of new music in the beta build that we haven't posted publicly

Thanks, I tried that, but I don't see a "Default launch option." From everything that I see on the screen, it is running through my 1070.

Edit--The weird part is when I click on something else on my desktop and leave it running in the background, my FPS counter goes to 144. As soon as I click the game, it goes back down to 24. Thanks for the quick response.

I wish I had backed this game. I'm looking forward to a hard copy if LRG does indeed make some prints.

This game had me at Phantasy star and suikoden.

Looking forward to this!

kevin1025

Banned
I wish I had backed this game. I'm looking forward to a hard copy if LRG does indeed make some prints.

This game had me at Phantasy star and suikoden.

Looking forward to this!

I'm with you, the backer beta is making me super envious! I hope everyone is loving it! Can't wait for this game!

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Thanks, I tried that, but I don't see a "Default launch option." From everything that I see on the screen, it is running through my 1070.

Edit--The weird part is when I click on something else on my desktop and leave it running in the background, my FPS counter goes to 144. As soon as I click the game, it goes back down to 24. Thanks for the quick response.

Actually, can you disable G-Sync for just this game and try it?

I think Unity by default has issues with Gsync.

If that doesn't work, try turning off the Windowed G-Sync and leaving the full screen option on.

I'm guessing it's an issue with Unity and that you have Gsync.

edit: I'm guessing it's a similar issues as this user:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...g-sync-monitors-solved-/post/4708083/#4708083

I got a good laugh at myself when here I've been joking about when the beta is coming out for like a year and then today I open my KS page and realize I stupidly only backed this at the $15 tier

Corpekata

Banned
His issue is almost certainly related to Gsync. I've had issues with a couple other Unity games where it would cap the game at like 1/4 or 1/3rd of the refresh rate. The most glaring offender of this was NightCry.

I'm not sure if they ever patched it, I solved it via a fan posting a fix.

Falk

that puzzling face
Cornbread78 offered.

Wonder if there's any point to starting a new thread for the closed beta.

Is Cornbread in the beta? I think it'd make sense for other people playing the beta to keep discussion contained within a beta thread (still appropriately spoiler tagged) so it doesn't inadvertently spoil people stumbling across CSH for the first time via this thread.

I'd do it but no beta access

totally not a hint, no time lol

clo1_2000

Banned
Actually, can you disable G-Sync for just this game and try it?

I think Unity by default has issues with Gsync.

If that doesn't work, try turning off the Windowed G-Sync and leaving the full screen option on.

I'm guessing it's an issue with Unity and that you have Gsync.

edit: I'm guessing it's a similar issues as this user:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...g-sync-monitors-solved-/post/4708083/#4708083

Turning off G-sync worked. I should have known better, I had to do the same thing with No Man's Sky. Thank you.

ZeroX03

Banned

I've been thinking about resolutions for completely sprite based games, and 480*270 was number one on my list of choices. Have you found it nice to work with? I like how nicely it scales to 1080p and Vita res, I take it you're cropping/expanding a little to make 720p/1440p work nicely rather than stretching?

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I've been thinking about resolutions for completely sprite based games, and 480*270 was number one on my list of choices. Have you found it nice to work with? I like how nicely it scales to 1080p and Vita res, I take it you're cropping/expanding a little to make 720p/1440p work nicely rather than stretching?
Yup, we chose it so that it would be a near SNES resolution that scales nicely to 1080p and Vita. And yes, our game reformat UI and crops at resolutions that aren't exact scales for it, so that we maintain proper pixel ratios.

It's been a joy to work at this resolution for me. Higher than our last games to allow for more detail but not too much to be killer in the workload department.

Cornbread78

I have a Steam Beta key if anyone is interested in checking it out and providing sone feedback for the Robert and those guys.

First post gets it

seabass0

I just re-stumbled upon the E3 trailer for this game. So glad to see that it's release is on the horizon. I think this game is going to sell like hotcakes on the Vita.

Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom