• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd Games announces Cosmic Star Heroine (Suikoden/PhantasyStar-inspired Unity RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

Oh man, really!?!

Like, just a few choice words to elaborate, please??

...Judging from the first few hours, it seems to be everything you could hope for from a game with its goals and inspirations. The combat system, in particular, is incredible. It's fast, lean (in the best way possible), and tactical -- you're pretty much always thinking of everything between now and three rounds ahead.

Like it says, that's only going from the first few hours, but it really feels like it's hit everything it aims to be dead-on.

JC Lately

Double checking those recommended system specs… and I think I’ll have to get the PS4 version instead. Damn my ancient video card.

Oh well, either way its a sure purchase from me

RPGCrazied

No, I promise I'm not port begging. But why miss out on PS3/360? I mean, they use the same storefront as the current consoles do, and the game would have no problem running on those.

Just wondering. I'll still get it on PS4 if I have to.

ZeroX03

Banned
No, I promise I'm not port begging. But why miss out on PS3/360? I mean, they use the same storefront as the current consoles do, and the game would have no problem running on those.

Because they're a decade old, out of date and the player base (not install base) has plummeted. I would guess.

Unity (the engine on which the game is built) doesn't have a PS3 version at all. There's apparently a 360 version, but getting on the 360 still involves licensing and certification - costs that might not break even given it is an 11 year old system and most consumers have moved on.

slash000

Zeboyd Games

Sony and MS have made the process easier for us to release on PS4/Vita and XBO over their older consoles. But really the market has more or less moved on. We'll be missing out on some PS3/360 sales from that install base by not releasing there, but we're such a small team that supporting more and more platforms exponentially increases the red tape and overhead we have to deal with and it sort of balances out. It's a lot easier to focus on the platforms that will be truly worth the effort that we can sustain as a small team.

Unity (the engine on which the game is built) doesn't have a PS3 version at all. There's apparently a 360 version, but getting on the 360 still involves licensing and certification - costs that might not break even given it is an 11 year old system and most consumers have moved on.

There (edit:) actually used to be support for PS3 in Unity. Here's a screenshot of the *old* Build Settings window (no longer applicable):
unityworks.jpg

But the reason is old systems, moved on player base, and limited 2-man-team resources.

There's actually support for PS3 in Unity. Here's a screenshot of the Build Settings window (this version isn't fully updated though):
unityworks.jpg

But the reason is old systems, moved on player base, and limited 2-man-team resources.

Ah, interesting - I had looked on Unity's website and the PS3 isn't mentioned on there at all for some reason. Good to know!

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Ah, interesting - I had looked on Unity's website and the PS3 isn't mentioned on there at all for some reason. Good to know!

Sorry, you're right--

They took out PS3 support, from their site:

We’re also moving on with a tear in our eye from supporting PS3 deployment, allowing us to concentrate on helping you build even more great PS4 games.

Link:
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/07/28/unity-5-4-is-out-heres-whats-in-it/

I just didn't apply the update on my end. I never really had PS3 on my radar since it wasn't our focus. But it makes sense to move on, for both Unity and (smaller) Devs at this point.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
The dev ignores all release date questions.

I tried asking.

"Summer 2016"

FallenGrace is right. We can't put a hard date on it until it's pretty much completely done. Plus we've never done Sony cert and qa so we are unsure precisely how long that takes. But we can say dev is going well and we are busting our butts on it and that it is getting finished, and also runs great on PS4 and Vita which still remain release platforms with PC.

Opa-Pa

I was a bit disappointed that we're not getting it in september but honestly you guys just take as long as necessary. I'm already thankful enough that you're still considering PS4 and especially Vita as release versions. I'm tired of getting a game on PS4 with the promise of a Vita version to support devs and then having to wait a whole year for it to come out.

Plus it looks awesome and the feedback sounds great. Keep up the good work and good luck with certifications!

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I know, I know.

It'll be worth the wait..sorry.

It's ok, I understand, and appreciate your patience. We're so close to making this exactly the kind of game we want it to be that we don't want to cut corners when we're just so close. The downside is things take long to do..

Tailzo

It's ok, I understand, and appreciate your patience. We're so close to making this exactly the kind of game we want it to be that we don't want to cut corners when we're just so close. The downside is things take long to do..
Good luck to all of you, it'll be worth it in the end. I wish that you take care of yourself also in this final stretch :)

FirLocke

Take your time. You guys are making an awesome game and I'm personally very grateful for the effort being put into the Vita version. Thank you!

chemicals

Penny Arcade 3 and 4 are so freaking good. Those games are love letters to Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, all the great 16 bit RPG's. I will buy this day one.

Every time the GAF meltdown of the week makes me lose hope that gamers are rational people, this thread restores my faith a little bit.

Every is so....calm.

And great work, Zeboyd! Your other games were awesome and this one looks like it's got a lot of love put into it.

kevin1025

Banned
I have my Steam monies all ready for this one! It's always a good thing for people to be clamoring for the release, but definitely take the time you guys need to make it the game you always wanted to! We can't wait!

Pachinko

I'm glad this is still coming out , gives me something Chrono Trigger (among other things) inspired to look forward to after Setsuna left me a bit cold (get it .... see because the game is always winter and .. ah whatever).

I really wish I'd sent my Mighty Number 9 KS money to this instead :( I literally only opened a KS account because of MN9 and spent far too much on it. Aw well, live and learn I suppose.

Not me. I don't know how much man-hours and efforts are spent on making this viable for a dying handheld, but if it's been holding back the release date for console and PC, I can't say I'm happy about that. :p

The work on getting the game to work properly on the Vita also helps performance on PS4 & PC.

Penny Arcade 3 and 4 are so freaking good. Those games are love letters to Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, all the great 16 bit RPG's. I will buy this day one.

This game is so much better than PA3&4. :)

So I've been playing on Heroine and things have generally been pretty easy but I find myself in a spot
with the reanimated ants who Poison. I got through the first battle but can't do the 2nd with the X-Drone + 2 ants. The only way to mass cure poison is the Gunmancy Focus + Pick Me Up skill. But the skill doesn't provide enough resistance to stop you being immediately poisoned afterwards. Did I miss an Program / Equipment somewhere ? The huge difficulty jump suggests I am.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Your tag says it all, lol. This fame as made eith Vita in mind;
I have no idea what you just said, but I'm not sure how I'm arrogant for not wanting a dying platform to hold back the release date of a game I'm anticipating. Selfish*, maybe, but not arrogant! xD

That's the spirit!
Vita cultists unite, eh? ;)

I'm mostly kidding, don't get mad

So just a little over two weeks left for Summer to end officially. No delays. There won't be any reason for me to come for blood right, Mr. Boyd?

So I've been playing on Heroine and things have generally been pretty easy but I find myself in a spot
with the reanimated ants who Poison. I got through the first battle but can't do the 2nd with the X-Drone + 2 ants. The only way to mass cure poison is the Gunmancy Focus + Pick Me Up skill. But the skill doesn't provide enough resistance to stop you being immediately poisoned afterwards. Did I miss an Program / Equipment somewhere ? The huge difficulty jump suggests I am.

You're the second person who has complained about a difficulty spike there so I'll take a look at it.

Note, the Pick Me Up skill doesn't prevent you from being poisoned again, but does reduce the amount of damage you take from poison.

Hang on, is the game out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom