• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda : A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL confirmed for NA (Nov. 22nd)

Shouta

I would be wary of those clear plastic cases - if you're not careful the tabs can leave scratches on your system.
I think the Hori clear TPU might be better, but it does tend to yellow a bit over time.

3.png

6.png

This is the Hori one, right? The one I use pretty much is this one without the design, lol. Though is that design on the 3DS itself?

I would be wary of those clear plastic cases - if you're not careful the tabs can leave scratches on your system.
I think the Hori clear TPU might be better, but it does tend to yellow a bit over time.

3.png

6.png

Yea, I'm really worried about putting it in a shell and scratching it. If dirt finds its way under the case I'm sure it would scuff/scratch the gorgeous finish. I found a clear skin + screen protector by Skinomi that I bought to give a try. I'll also keep it in a carry case when not playing. I think that's the best option for me though I'm OCD about my electronics and very careful.

Shouta

The one I mentioned is pretty cheap if you go for the case itself (though it'll cost a little to ship) so it might be worth it to just get one and see it for yourself.

MrDenny

Missed out on the walmart deal, but got lucky and just scored a like new 3ds xl zelda bundle off ebay for 195$.
Can't wait to play.

I got boned cause it was hard to find on the wal mart website and the employee at best buy gave up looking and wouldn't let me use their computer haha, my phone kept switching to mobile version too for wal mart :/ damn you mobile version

oh well, i will just pick it up this week or on black friday, i saw 10 at target and 15 at best buy.

Danny-Boy

I'd say there's a better chance of scratching it without the clear case. I might invest in one.

I'm not sure I can get over the loud click and wobbly screen. The chances of finding a good hinge are very slim. It seems most people have this issue and are just putting up with it. I must have watched about twenty unboxings and they all had the loud click.

This issue also occurred on the original 3DS. You'd think Nintendo would be aware of the issue and are trying to fix it.

I might give this up and just go through regular whites until I find a good hinge.

DonMigs85

I'd say there's a better chance of scratching it without the clear case. I might invest in one.

I'm not sure I can get over the loud click and wobbly screen. The chances of finding a good hinge are very slim. It seems most people have this issue and are just putting up with it. I must have watched about twenty unboxings and they all had the loud click.

This issue also occurred on the original 3DS. You'd think Nintendo would be aware of the issue and are trying to fix it.

I might give this up and just go through regular whites until I find a good hinge.
what if the quiet hinges are actually a design defect? Dumdumduuuum

DonMigs85

Then it's a design defect I'd love to own. They're perfect. Absolutely zero screen wobble and softly locks into place without any clicks that sound and feel like it's broken.

I wonder if they'll stay that way forever though.
My DS Lite was tight at first but over the years the screen got wobblier.

As much as I want this, I'm holding out for a sturdier revision to the hardware. I pulled out the original DS Lite the other day and its build quality is so much better than the 3DS. It doesn't have the wobble top half or the cheap feeling buttons. It's a really tight piece of hardware and I hope we get something similar in the future,

grave_danger

Neo Member
Does anyone have an issue with the plastic around the ABXY buttons wearing down really quickly on the 3DS XL? I just got the system a few weeks back and have babied it and the area around the buttons is starting to look permanently shiny from wear. Think finger oil that doesn't wipe off. Never had this problem before with other devices. Maybe the plastic is just soft/cheap.

I remember people saying he image quality on the XL wasn't as good as the original 3DS or someingawful to that affect. Did they fix those complaints? I think there was also he issue with the3D not being as sharp

Meier

So I'm trying to transfer the stuff off my SD card on my OG 3DS to my new 4GB card and it just isn't working. The system refuses to actually read anything. What gives? I plugged it into my wife's laptop and copied the files off then copied them onto the 4GB (which is what Nintendo's website says to do) but nothing.

The files are on the 4GB card but when I start up my 3DS with it, there's nothing there. Only what is stored in the system memory after the transfer. Any suggestions?

Edit: After repeated attempts, it finally worked! Woot.

Artorias

Banned
I'm loving my system, but my d pad seems a little loose. Is this normal for an XL? I'm not sure if I should try to exchange it.

When I take my thumb off the d pad it kinda jiggles. Maybe its no big deal but my OG 3DS doesn't do that.

Shouta

Hmmm. I wonder if I should be worried about this hinge then. It's a very hard click, I'd really hate for the hinge to wear out quickly.

Perhaps, but I don't know. I'll let you know if mine starts making that sound in the future.

Like many others, this was the perfect time for me to upgrade from my launch 3DS. The system transfer could have been much better but the biggest issue is the SD card upgrade. Why in the world didn't they just let the transfer copy over the 2gb SD card to the new 4gb SD card? Even after following the Nintendo instructions, it didn't work. My games didn't show up until I just deleted the existing folder on the new card and copied over the old one. My games and saves seemed to transfer over so I hope all else is fine.

The system feels much sturdier than the original (I love the clicks for the hinge and the 3D slider), but I'm baffled as to why Nintendo didn't use this as an opportunity to make the buttons, dpad, and slider bigger. The stylus is back where it belongs, thankfully. The resolution is a little rough to look at but it shows up much more in text than the gameplay. And I like my Zelda bling. It's surprisingly tasteful and cool.

Now to unload my mint 3DS.

Arla

Is that Club Nintendo code it comes with for ALBW or what? I thought once you downloaded a game from the eShop it automatically registered to your club Nintendo account.

I

Rich!

Is that Club Nintendo code it comes with for ALBW or what? I thought once you downloaded a game from the eShop it automatically registered to your club Nintendo account.

I

I downloaded ALBW from the eshop and it registered on my club nintendo account immediately. Finally had enough points to order this:

hooray

hey so this is incredibly OCD of me, but does anybody else notice four "dents" on the top of the XL near each corner of the system? i'm wondering if this is only a problem with mine or if it's how they are manufactured. i cannot take a good picture to show what i mean, but if you shift the 3DS in a good light do any of you see one tiny little pressed-in dent near each corner? i don't see them on my blue XL, but i do on my zelda XL...

aparisi2274

hey so this is incredibly OCD of me, but does anybody else notice four "dents" on the top of the XL near each corner of the system? i'm wondering if this is only a problem with mine or if it's how they are manufactured. i cannot take a good picture to show what i mean, but if you shift the 3DS in a good light do any of you see one tiny little pressed-in dent near each corner? i don't see them on my blue XL, but i do on my zelda XL...

I have the Zelda XL, and I see no dents.

Rich!

I don't see any on my white XL.

What I DO see though is something far worse - a speck of dust, a pixel in size, trapped right in the center of the fucking screen. It's absolutely driving me insane.

I remember people saying he image quality on the XL wasn't as good as the original 3DS or someingawful to that affect. Did they fix those complaints? I think there was also he issue with the3D not being as sharp

I think the IQ is fine, I noticed more of a downgrade from when I upgraded to the DSL from the OG DS than I do from the 3DS to the XL.

I also had a problem transferring my games to the included 4GB card during the system transfer, so I just put in my 2GB and then used my PC to transfer itto a 32GB ultra SD cadd I used in my old phone (are there any advantages to using high speed memory?

DonMigs85

I don't see any on my white XL.

What I DO see though is something far worse - a speck of dust, a pixel in size, trapped right in the center of the fucking screen. It's absolutely driving me insane.

That's a sign of poor manufacturing - they aren't applying the top plastic layer of the screen in a clean room.

chidrock

But I've had this XL for ages (bought it in May), and it's only just appeared this week.

My first Zelda 3DS XL was fine when I opened the box. I checked the screen for dead pixels, then put on the screen protectors and did the system transfer. I started playing and everything was fine until I noticed something on my screen. I wiped it off and then all of a sudden a new piece of dust showed up on my screen except it was in the middle and not where I wiped. My only guess is that it was sideways or something when I first checked everything, because it was really big, orange-ish and in the middle of my screen.

No way I would've missed it, especially considering how anal I am about getting every spec of dust out from under a screen protector when I first put one on. (Scotch tape does wonders with that)

Top Bottom