• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda : A Link Between Worlds 3DS XL confirmed for NA (Nov. 22nd)

DonMigs85

Posting this here too.

CB7pksM.jpg

Quick gold XL impressions. Same old shit inside the package except for the Zelda LBW code. The gold Xl seems to have a new hinge from the older XLs. The hinge on this one doesn't make that clicking sound when it snaps into position like the older models do. This one is really quiet, almost like it's padded with rubber or something. Also, this hinge is not wobbly like the others. This one is quite sturdy and barely moves back and forth at all when you nudge it. Maybe Nintendo finally got sick of getting systems sent to them because of "wobbly hinges", which were supposed to be like that.
Hmm, have you ever seen the black one? Maybe it's also improved

chidrock

Really bummed out right now...opened the 3DS and did a check to see if there were any dead pixels. Didn't see any so I put on my Hori screen protector and did the system transfer. Started up a game and noticed a spot in the middle of the screen. Figured it was a spot of dust on the screen protector, no big deal - wipe it off. Spot gets bigger. Turn on the lights to see what's going on and now I see there's a big piece of dust under the screen.

Not sure what to do now. Already had a shitty day at work today on my birthday and now this lol.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Really bummed out right now...opened the 3DS and did a check to see if there were any dead pixels. Didn't see any so I put on my Hori screen protector and did the system transfer. Started up a game and noticed a spot in the middle of the screen. Figured it was a spot of dust on the screen protector, no big deal - wipe it off. Spot gets bigger. Turn on the lights to see what's going on and now I see there's a big piece of dust under the screen.

Not sure what to do now. Already had a shitty day at work today on my birthday and now this lol.

I think I have that too.

neto

Under the screen protector or under the 3ds screen plastic? if its just under the protector, remove it, clean the screen and install it again/a new one, if its inside the 3ds, go and see if you can get a replacement

chidrock

Anyone know if the game would be saved on the physical card? I could go buy another system tomorrow, but I'll have to wait 7 days to do another system transfer. If the game is saved on the card itself, I'd at least be able to play the game on the new system and won't have to worry about losing my save when I do the system transfer.

I wonder if you talk to Nintendo they can reset your system transfer number. I just don't want to lose my ambassador games...

chidrock

Under the screen protector or under the 3ds screen plastic? if its just under the protector, remove it, clean the screen and install it again/a new one, if its inside the 3ds, go and see if you can get a replacement

Yeah I had thought it was under the screen protector, but it's under the screen. It must've been there all along and turned sideways when I wiped the screen.

Looks almost like a nice piece of cardboard under the screen.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Does the gold paint seem reasonably durable? I'm afraid just rubbing it with a fingernail will scratch it.

honestly it seems as durable to me as the launch red 3ds xl I had. I also just sold my Red Pokemon XL, the glossy finish on that is LESS durable. But the Zelda gold, I wiped off a smudge and good as new!

did you notice how many they had? i can't get to walmart til 7pm or so. hoping to save $20 and get a refund on my GS preorder

Call best buy and place an order over the phone. Explain the sale walmart is having. I was able to order two with the price match. Theres free shipping. This is, if you can wait.

Sane_Man

Just completed the game with 100% heart pieces, items, upgrades, etc. I can't find if there's a playing time, but I'd guess about 30 hours.

Amazing. Probably my favourite Zelda since Ocarina. I do wish there were more side quests and other activities to do in the overworld. A couple more dungeons would have been nice as well. But still a stunning game.

JakeD

Call best buy and place an order over the phone. Explain the sale walmart is having. I was able to order two with the price match. Theres free shipping. This is, if you can wait.

i ended up getting it from walmart, they hadn't even taken them out of the back yet and i suspect i was the first sale (at 7pm or so last night)

Santiako

Just completed the game with 100% heart pieces, items, upgrades, etc. I can't find if there's a playing time, but I'd guess about 30 hours.

Amazing. Probably my favourite Zelda since Ocarina. I do wish there were more side quests and other activities to do in the overworld. A couple more dungeons would have been nice as well. But still a stunning game.

You can see your playing time (of every game) in the activity log.

esai

Picked mine up from best buy yesterday morning. They price matched Walmart. It's my first 3DS so I'm very excited. Also picked up Pokemon Y.

Got mine yesterday at target. Price matched walmarts price. My first 3DS! Gonna get Phoenix Wright and I'm also getting Pokemon and Mario and Luigi Dream Team for Christmas. I'm loving this system so far though!

This game was hard to get. Both Wal-Mart and Best Buy were sold out when I went this morning, but Target had a couple left so I managed to get it. Not sure if that's because it's selling well or because Nintendo is shipping fewer physical copies early so as to force as many people as possible to download it. Despite my intense dislike of DD for major games, especially Nintendo DD games not called Animal Crossing, I was seriously considering just getting a bigger SD card and doing it if Target didn't have it.

Anyways, a couple hours in, great game, graphics look so much better than internet screen shots it's not funny, and now I'm going back to playing it for the rest of the weekend.

jacobeid

Banned
Picked this up yesterday from GameStop using some gift cards. The system seems to be solid, but the hinge/clicking does make Sony's handheld feel much better.

The gold paint seems to be pretty heavy however. It didn't feel like it was weak and prone to chipping.

Friend that works at gamestop saying it is selling really well, not sure how accurate it is but im guessing its selling great everywhere else to going by the sellouts

Setzer

honestly it seems as durable to me as the launch red 3ds xl I had. I also just sold my Red Pokemon XL, the glossy finish on that is LESS durable. But the Zelda gold, I wiped off a smudge and good as new!

This is much different than the red 3ds xl system. The interior of the red one is black where as this one has a painted gold interior. My concern is, over time and use, that gold pain on the interior, especially near the buttons, circle pad and d-pad, will start coming off. Nintendo should have just left the interior of the system a matte black.

hwy_61

Banned
These hori screen protectors are great if you know how to apply them! I got a tiny hair under the bottom screen protector.

I'm just going to leave it alone.

hitmon

This system is beautiful. Probably the best looking 3DS XL out currently. Any recommendations on 3DS XL cases?

I was able to pricematch Walmart's sale at BestBuy.

leroidys

Speaking of screen protectors, do you guys know if any big chains carry the Hori protectors in store? I forgot to order mine online early, and don't want to have to wait a couple days after my XL gets delivered for the screen protectors to get here.

barugon

Help me here, GAF:

I just picked up my new Zelda 3DS XL from gamestop. I went to transfer my system data from my launch 3DS, but the transfer will not complete. Just after initiating the transfer, I receive a local wireless error that I think is suggesting a problem with my 3DS's wireless card. I've tried all the troubleshooting I can think of without any luck. After troubleshooting with NoA support for the better part of an hour, they basically told me I was out of luck and would either have to send it in for repairs, or eat the loss of games on my account. Someone is supposed to get in contact with me later today or tomorrow about any other possible options, but I don't know what to do beyond that.

Of course, this means I also can't really claim the code for the game, since I'm not sure what will happen with the accounts. From what I've seen, Nintendo has seemed quick to transfer accounts to new consoles, but my conversation with support didn't leave much cause to hope. So my question is, is this the standard first contact response, and should I still expect to have my account transferred, or is there a reasonable chance that Nintendo might disappoint me?

chidrock

Help me here, GAF:

I just picked up my new Zelda 3DS XL from gamestop. I went to transfer my system data from my launch 3DS, but the transfer will not complete. Just after initiating the transfer, I receive a local wireless error that I think is suggesting a problem with my 3DS's wireless card. I've tried all the troubleshooting I can think of without any luck. After troubleshooting with NoA support for the better part of an hour, they basically told me I was out of luck and would either have to send it in for repairs, or eat the loss of games on my account. Someone is supposed to get in contact with me later today or tomorrow about any other possible options, but I don't know what to do beyond that.

Of course, this means I also can't really claim the code for the game, since I'm not sure what will happen with the accounts. From what I've seen, Nintendo has seemed quick to transfer accounts to new consoles, but my conversation with support didn't leave much cause to hope. So my question is, is this the standard first contact response, and should I still expect to have my account transferred, or is there a reasonable chance that Nintendo might disappoint me?

Just to update my situation and reply to this. I wound up picking up another Zelda bundle this morning, but of course I couldn't do a system transfer when I got home because it hasn't been 7 days. I call up NOA support and after about 45 minutes of going back and forth I ask for a supervisor. They try reaching out and say that they'll have them call me back.

Hours later, still no call, so I call back with my incident number. The new person I speak to understands my situation and gets a manager on the line, and here's where it gets more relevant to your post: the option they give me so I don't have to wait is to match up my purchases to the new serial number of the system. I can go into my downloads section on the e-shop, but I won't have any of my saves. I didn't really have saves on my ambassador games and I don't buy digital copies, so this worked for me. I'm re-downloading everything as I type this.

I had been contemplating keeping both the digital copy and the physical one that I bought, but this process just reminded me about one of the reasons why I stick with physical media. It would be nice to have the system hold the game and have the open slot, but I'm not sure if it's worth it in the long run.

TheFrza

I already have the Oracle games, so one of you guys are going to get lucky.

If this doesn't work, the winner can PM me for the code. Good Luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

LoZ -- MB-C6402E069C4626AE

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I already have the Oracle games, so one of you guys are going to get lucky.

If this doesn't work, the winner can PM me for the code. Good Luck!
Thanks! :D I was fixing to buy some of the older games on 3DS.

I always find clear cases a must if you can get it. I got this from Amazon today (ordered in advance) and it fits great. It doesn't add much to the size of the system either.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094PE832/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Hm, cheap.
Is this overkill with a padded zip up case?
I should consider screen protection at least.

Christopher

Its actually not that ugly on the 3ds itself only the actual character models close up look disgusting.

Zelda was in a real bad slump this is at least a fair turn around

woodypop

Just joined the 3DS club!

8E048E68-43C4-4967-B50F-745DDE35B116_zpsukcxt8em.jpg

Got it for $190 at Fred Meyer. Such a deal!

Now to get some screen protectors and a case. Then the 3D SEGA Classics later this week. So excite!

Shouta

Will it scratch the top shell?

No, as far as I can tell. You slide it into the bottom first then the top piece fits snuggly around the top without it touching the the design at all.

I can take pics or stream me putting it on if you want.

chidrock

One thing I didn't mention - when I first took the system out of the box, I was a little let down by it. It looked more orange than gold. (almost like how the original blue 3DS was different in person)

Then I took it into another room with different lighting and it looked the way I thought it would. Maybe that will give someone more of a sense of how metallic it looks. More so than the blue system IMO.

Sora_N

No, as far as I can tell. You slide it into the bottom first then the top piece fits snuggly around the top without it touching the the design at all.

I can take pics or stream me putting it on if you want.

Pics would be good! Thanks

SuperJay

I think I missed how you guys got Best Buy to price match. Walmart's website still lists as $219.99. I need to have proof of the $199.99 sale. :\

This should give you an idea of how it goes on, I think.
is it a hard plastic or a soft, jelly plastic?
I think I missed how you guys got Best Buy to price match. Walmart's website still lists as $219.99. I need to have proof of the $199.99 sale. :
the cashier took about 5-10 minutes just searching the weekly ad at walmart. just tell them it's not the website price, it's the weekly ad price.

Thanks Shouta, may need to get that for this 3DS XL, I feel like I'm tampering with something that should be in a museum display.

Shouta

is it a hard plastic or a soft, jelly plastic?

the cashier took about 5-10 minutes just searching the weekly ad at walmart. just tell them it's not the website price, it's the weekly ad price.

It's a hard plastic. I get the hard ones for all of my portable systems. My PSP Go, DS, and Vita all have one. It doesn't provide 100% protection from falls but it helps against scratches and the like.

The screen covers that come with that package is nice and you can order an extra set in case you mess up as they only come with one top/bottom. Solid stuff overall and should be applied as soon as possible so dust doesn't get under.

It's a hard plastic. I get the hard ones for all of my portable systems. My PSP Go, DS, and Vita all have one. It doesn't provide 100% protection from falls but it helps against scratches and the like.

The screen covers that come with that package is nice and you can order an extra set in case you mess up as they only come with one top/bottom. Solid stuff overall and should be applied as soon as possible so dust doesn't get under.
i never buy cases, but this golden XL is too glorious to leave unprotected! do the screen covers affect the 3D at all? and thanks for the info

Shouta

Seemed like the 3D worked fine on the test and when I booted up ALBTW to try it out. Let me load up Pokemon and see.

Shouta

The screen protectors don't seem to interfere with the 3D in Pokemon either, so it should be fine, at least to my eyes.

DonMigs85

I would be wary of those clear plastic cases - if you're not careful the tabs can leave scratches on your system.
I think the Hori clear TPU might be better, but it does tend to yellow a bit over time.

3.png

6.png

LaserHawk

This Zelda 3DSXL seemed like the right time for me to upgrade to XL. I'm glad I did it now, since the system is gorgeous, the big screen is nice, and the Start/Select/Home buttons are a huge improvement over the original. But only a day ago I was about ready to pull my hair out.

I did the system transfer and copied everything over to the new system... or so I thought. All my Ambassador Program freebies and several other games didn't come along, and most of my Streetpass Mii Plaza information was gone. I still had my Mii, my hats, and a plaza full of people, but the data for my downloaded games was gone, and all but the original eight puzzle frames were missing. To top it off, when streetpassing, I wasn't allowed to get new puzzle pieces. This meant that rebuilding my collection was impossible.

So, just as advice to anybody else here who finds themselves in the same situation, I was able to fix my problem by following these instructions. Now I have EVERYTHING back... even those Ambassador Program games.

And yes, the Zelda 3DSXL is pretty nice. I was thinking of getting one of those clear covers for it, but I think I'll probably get by with just a good solid carrying case.

Top Bottom