• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
How in the fuck do you get 100 on the baseball game? Can't even get 60.
It's something you get better by doing it over and over again. Always try to aim at the Gold pots, but if it's surrounded by empty space, hit elsewhere because you always want to hit 3 in a row for the crow that gives you 20 rupees. Try hitting a crab after 2 crows.

So far this just seems like a remixed zelda 3. I mean, I loved zelda 3 and all, but I would have rather had something that was a bit more original. Not a fan of having all the items up front, either

Bladenic

Did Turtle Rock. Awesome dungeon, and best of all, great boss.

I have no idea how to access Desert Palace (or even that area in either world) nor the swamp dungeon though.

Poyunch

Anyone got a link to the entire OST in a huge Youtube megavideo? I got some shiz to do and I would love to just let this play in the background.

Busaiku

Holy crap, I'm about to fight Yuga, and I just got the Pegasus Boots...
All this time I thought
I needed the Pegasus Boots to catch him. However, I'd gone through every dungeon, so I'd given up trying to find it on my own.

I don't get it. The boomerang is in this game and its pretty useful.
As a poster above stated, I only used it once and that was because you had to in a dungeon to unlock something. I always used my hookshot, but that's what I did in LTTP too, once I obtained it.

So where the hell do you take this milk, can't find the guy.
on the way to the mine in that volcano place where you leap off platforms to make it down.. It's one of the alternate doors that leads outside. I think you go south at the pillar with the two lion guys

As a poster above stated, I only used it once and that was because you had to in a dungeon to unlock something. I always used my hookshot, but that's what I did in LTTP too, once I obtained it.

on the way to the mine in that volcano place where you leap off platforms to make it down.. It's one of the alternate doors that leads outside. I think you go south at the pillar with the two lion guys
shit didn't even know you could go south there
Guess I will go back there later thanks.

L00P

So...is there no way to beat that monster? Talkin about
the one I robbed with all of his money in some cave.

I kinda forgot where that cave was and looked for it, but I can't seem to find it. Does he get out of the cave or something?
I spent a goddamn hour looking for it and just gave up a few seconds ago

NolbertoS

I have no idea how to access Desert Palace (or even that area in either world) nor the swamp dungeon though.
you need the sand rod. You get the sand rod when you beat the Water Palace, I believe, the sage that got kidnapped in the first dungeon gives it to you, in the hall of sages, you then buy it from Ravio and enter the desert palace

Okamid3n

Boomerang can be shot in every direction (not just 8 directions like the hookshot), meaning it's much easier to stun an enemy.
Upgraded boomerang can be shot three times, meaning you can afford to miss and still get the stun.

Furthermore, recovering "loot" with the boomerang is very fast, making the game flow much better. Link doesn't have to line up and stop moving like he does with the hookshot. He can just walk around and throw the boomerang at pots/rupees/hearts while going his merry way.

I love the boomerang.

Bladenic

you need the sand rod. You get the sand rod when you beat the Water Palace, I believe, the sage that got kidnapped in the first dungeon gives it to you, in the hall of sages, you then buy it from Ravio and enter the desert palace

DUH, I've already had it too. Thanks. How about the swamp?

DUH, I've already had it too. Thanks. How about the swamp?

Just did this, last dungeon done.

In the area south of the Thief town, there's a big bomb guy. Pay him and then use that bomb to open the entrance, you have to lead the bomb. Somehow I missed that whole area and the baseball field... the entire game.

Speaking of such, am I at the end? Got my
blue tunic, but is there more?
. I'd also like to know if you can beat the guy in the
cave you steal all the money from (I didn't want rupees, I wanted hearts!)

Anteo

Just did this, last dungeon done.

In the area south of the Thief town, there's a big bomb guy. Pay him and then use that bomb to open the entrance, you have to lead the bomb. Somehow I missed that whole area and the baseball field... the entire game.

Speaking of such, am I at the end? Got my
blue tunic, but is there more?
. I'd also like to know if you can beat the guy in the
cave you steal all the money from (I didn't want rupees, I wanted hearts!)

1. There is more
2. Nope

Mistle

the soundtrack is phenomenal, every time i hear something new I just have to stop and listen

although, same goes for pretty much every Zelda game

RagnarokX

Turtle Rock was like the worst dungeon in the game. Way too simple. Especially compared to its namesake.

The best dungeons were Desert Palace, Swamp Palace, Dark Palace, and Ice Pal... Ruins. The rest were fairly lackluster.

Bladenic

Finally found the way to Desert Palace, so easy yet I kept looking in the wrong area haha. Now to do it, then the swamp dungeon. I'm think afterwards I'll go Woods > Ice > Dark Palace for last.

Edit: I really enjoyed it. And the boss was the first that was actually exciting and had a semblance of challenge. A semblance only, but nonetheless. And now I'm just more excited for the rest of the dungeons!

Seems like I did them backwards, as they became much easier (not just in terms of I have more hearts..).

Okay, I'm done with the dungeons and I'm at
the Lorule castle, there's one big chest I just can't reach no matter how I look at the situation.. what am I missing?

ElFly

I disagree about the shield; I liked more how it worked in aLttP, where it blocked stuff by default. Maybe the new method is deeper, but I disliked seeing my shield up in albw but not really doing anything until you have to press the crippling R button.

Also Link being able to look / walk in diagonals was wasted by the lack of a reflecting shield + lasers.

I like the new versions of the items but the arrows and boomerang feel completely useless. And the hookshot is too depowered, by not grabbing onto chests like in aLttP. It's kind of weird that the Hookshot will grab onto more stuff in the overworld than in the dungeons, even the dungeons where it is required.

Third thing I feel was a downgrade was the world switching mechanic. The Mirror was way more free form, and also allowed for asymmetric world switching, where you'd go to the light world to quick travel, then look for a portal to the dark world, and then mirror back for secrets. It was a bummer to find
that the witch's broom[/b] still worked in Lorule with no good explanation.

Other than that THIS GAME IS AWESOME.

Woah you beat the whole game without the second slot for items ? I didn't know you could avoid it !

No I beat the whole game but forgot how I got the second slot in my first run; but now it's too late, found it by coincidence and I am 4 dark dungeons deep into hero mode.

HYDE

Banned
Seems like I did them backwards, as they became much easier (not just in terms of I have more hearts..).

Okay, I'm done with the dungeons and I'm at
the Lorule castle, there's one big chest I just can't reach no matter how I look at the situation.. what am I missing?

hint: light might not help you find your chest.

mrkgoo

What I thought would be cool is if they randomised the items you found in the dungeon, or an option to do so.

I suppose you could just do dungeons in different order.

mrkgoo

I disagree about the shield; I liked more how it worked in aLttP, where it blocked stuff by default. Maybe the new method is deeper, but I disliked seeing my shield up in albw but not really doing anything until you have to press the crippling R button.

Also Link being able to look / walk in diagonals was wasted by the lack of a reflecting shield + lasers.

I like the new versions of the items but the arrows and boomerang feel completely useless. And the hookshot is too depowered, by not grabbing onto chests like in aLttP. It's kind of weird that the Hookshot will grab onto more stuff in the overworld than in the dungeons, even the dungeons where it is required.

Third thing I feel was a downgrade was the world switching mechanic. The Mirror was way more free form, and also allowed for asymmetric world switching, where you'd go to the light world to quick travel, then look for a portal to the dark world, and then mirror back for secrets. It was a bummer to find
that the witch's broom[/b] still worked in Lorule with no good explanation.

Other than that THIS GAME IS AWESOME.

No I beat the whole game but forgot how I got the second slot in my first run; but now it's too late, found it by coincidence and I am 4 dark dungeons deep into hero mode.
How does the bow feel useless? When upgraded you use it to deal quite a lot of damage to bosses.

Ooccoo

I must be in the minority who didn't fall in love with the game. It's perfectly fine for a 3DS entry in the series, but still suffers from typical Zelda design (i.e. archaic)

- Economy means nothing. Sometimes you have to complete puzzles for...fucking chests with rupees. Twilight Princess syndrome again.
- Furthermore, health is almost meaningless too. Just switch rooms and refill your heats at will. This is very old and bad design.
- Dungeons are so small and easy (except ice ruins, I hated that one)
- A lot of items felt unecessary while others had use in almost ALL dungeons, like bombs. I think I never used the bow unless it was obligatory.
- Challenge level is STILL subpar. Can't believe how easy some bosses were.
- Ghosts that give hints shouldn't even exist, there's less handholding than before but this is a great proof the designers still think people can't play.
- Baseball mini-game...this seriously sucks. Fishing >>>>>>> this crap
- Finding items is what I love in Zelda. Because you can rent them all (or almost all) right off the bat I thought it removed some of the excitement of finding great items in dungeons.

On the plus side
+ Freedom at last (dungeon order)
+ Phenomenal sountrack
+ Extremely fluid and responsive
+ Some nice ideas thrown around
+ Skippable cutscenes
+ Cool story and characters even though I saw the ending coming from a mile
+ Nice graphical style

Overall I give it an 8.5

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
finished up. got about 17 hours of game out of it. didn't return those stupid maimai things to their mother either. Suck it maimais (I forgot where she lives).

game was pretty damn great. do feel the wall mechanic was a bit underutilised though, I don't really remember a cunning use for it at all and most of the time I just felt like there were lamps/stones whatever to stop you using it in most places. must have been a bastard to design the levels actually.

- Ghosts that give hints shouldn't even exist, there's less handholding than before but this is a great proof the designers still think people can't play.
I'm almost done and I didn't even knew this mechanic existed. Seems like a silly complaint if it's this easy to miss.

zychi

Banned
how are you guys seeing your gametime? i just finished with like 90%(missing a few random heart pieces, finished everything else on first playthrough)

dumbyugi

The rest is your opinion but this is a stupid complaint. It's is an optional mechanic that is there for players who aren't good at Zelda games. You never have to use it if you don't want to but for players who get stuck it's nice to have the option.

Chitown B

The rest is your opinion but this is a stupid complaint. It's is an optional mechanic that is there for players who aren't good at Zelda games. You never have to use it if you don't want to but for players who get stuck it's nice to have the option.

agreed. this is the best way to do it. no hand holding unless you decide you need it.

leroidys

finished up. got about 17 hours of game out of it. didn't return those stupid maimai things to their mother either. Suck it maimais (I forgot where she lives).

game was pretty damn great. do feel the wall mechanic was a bit underutilised though, I don't really remember a cunning use for it at all and most of the time I just felt like there were lamps/stones whatever to stop you using it in most places. must have been a bastard to design the levels actually.

I haven't beaten the game, but I felt quite the opposite. It is really integral to world traversal, and is used to solve the vast majority of dungeon rooms.

To me, it was finally what Ezlo should have been in The Minish Cap. An integral ability that helps you traverse the overworld and is an ever present option to combine with other skills to solve puzzles (as opposed to only using it if there was a mushroom/jar to transform, and you saw a tiny doorway.)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly.

- Can you turn off the 'break' reminder? ;-)

This pissed me off more than it should have. Perhaps it's because a lot of Nintendo games have been doing it the past several years. It was HORRIBLE in this game though. It would suggest me to take a break after a mere half hour of playing.

Top Bottom