• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

More to come once I get home from work. I have a lot of audio files already ripped and prepared, just need to render those pesky videos~

Any requests?

I believe no one has uploaded the Hyrule Boss Battle theme yet, but I don't know how you're supposed to capture it without parasites.

Eusis

I want Zelda U to keep an air of non linearity, but I don't want the level of freedom that we have here. I'd draft more ideas in but I'm on a phone and typing with a phone is no fun.
Well, you do what LttP did with items and you've got the sweet spot I think... though is way, WAY closer to my sweet spot than most open world games.

Finished it, I liked it a lot, story wise I was
underwhelmed as I was sort of hoping it was more directly a continuation of the Dark World or something rather than just... I dunno, an alternate "The Legend of HIlda" world that happened to be turning into its own Dark World but I kinda gave up on Zelda for story, and honestly you'd probably be well off just having ended it entirely with Wind Waker and rebooting or something from there, afterwards with the exception (to a degree) of Skyward Sword it's just felt like relatively unimportant side stories, and not particularly interesting ones like Link's Awakening or Majora's Mask.

Gameplay wise though, I think this is way, way closer to what I'd been wanting from Zelda lately. Just a world that I slowly unravel and fully explore over time, I didn't get the 6 last heart pieces though and maybe there's some other stuff I'm missing, but at that point I didn't really need more anyway.

flowsnake

Ehh. That was probably my least favourite dungeon in the game. Too much moving platform puzzles and walking on narrow paths. It didn't feel like a believable place. Just a bunch of stuff floating around. Lame boss too.

The narrow paths were the worst part, certainly. It being unbelievable is just so irrelevant to me I wouldn't even know where to start. I loved the magic of it! The boss was lame though.

Xane

The Octopus Lair (I'm so sorry for using this name but I honestly can't remember what she was called... the octopus that
upgrades your items when you search for her babies.
Especially when the choir is added it sounds so amazing.

Oh, I can do that. Don't think I have the one with Choir yet though.. but will look into it.

I believe no one has uploaded the Hyrule Boss Battle theme yet, but I don't know how you're supposed to capture it without parasites.

Which one is it exactly and/or where does it occur? (also, what parasites?)

I'm seriously considering restarting my Hero Mode run for a no heart piece no mail run. Although I'll have to pick up Red Mail just for the finale. :( One attack in particular I couldn't dodge.

Reknoc

Why wouldn't you be able to? I did the
Desert Palace much later than I got the blue mail
on my first playthrough.

That's what I get for not exploring then! I assumed you'd need the gloves to lift the rock to get the bomb flower through. Thought maybe everywhere else would be bottomless chasm. Oh well! Guess that'll help my order then!

Sendou

Oh, I can do that. Don't think I have the one with Choir yet though.. but will look into it.

I think the choir part gets added each time you give her 10 babies. Then after you leave and come back it's back to normal.

I'm seriously considering restarting my Hero Mode run for a no heart piece no mail run. Although I'll have to pick up Red Mail just for the finale. :( One attack in particular I couldn't dodge.

So basically no-hit run? Good luck then.

That's what I get for not exploring then! I assumed you'd need the gloves to lift the rock to get the bomb flower through. Thought maybe everywhere else would be bottomless chasm. Oh well! Guess that'll help my order then!

The gloves certainly would make it easier to not... prematurely explode... but no they are far from necessary.

EDIT: I NEEED a clean OST of this game, music is unbelievable. And I second the Maiamai choir, it's amazing.

javac

This games been in my 3DS since Friday but I haven't started it yet. Playing A Link to the Past. First time playing it. Pulled out my SNES controller and everything lol. Really enjoying it.

Fabrik

Banned
Just entered the final dungeon last night. 17 hours in, not a single minute was boring. Everything you do has a worthwhile reward.

+ The gameplay is fast.
+ Lots of stuff to do and see outside the dungeons
+ The wall mechanic is great
+ Rupees are finally helpful
+ The dungeons design
+ The return to non-linearity is the way to go for Zelda
+ The mini-dungeons with the thieves (In the Iwata Asks, a developer's idea of having 50 of them was rejected by Miyamoto), I would have liked more of them
+ The music
+ The shimmering water
+ The 3D depth perception

- The dungeons are a bit short and easy for a Zelda veteran.
- I would have liked a more original and developed story.
- A completely new Hyrule/Lorule would have made the game even better with a better sense of discovery.
- Most of the secrets are not secret. You see cracks in the walls etc...They need to go back to real secrets where you can deduce stuff by observing the environment and hints by the locals. For instance if you watch a dungeon map you can guess there should be a room over there.
- The need to remove the red X on the map (Or make it optional) and give hints by the town-folks.
- A lack of crazy/more original items.
- To many hearts being dropped.

For Zelda U they need to keep that framework, but give access to 3 dungeons at a time, allowing to gradually increase their complexity. The rental system worked but it was basically the same thing as having all items from the start like in Arkham City. With the 3 dungeons set up, they could put the items of the next 3 dungeons in the current 3 you are in but only getting to use them really in the overworld and the next dungeons. At least give us a cool new object in every dungeons, like a new shield, a new tunic, a piece of map and whatnot.

Anyway very happy with this new Zelda and I feel the original flavor of the franchise is back. I can't possibly rank them but it's Top 5 for sure.

Which one is it exactly and/or where does it occur? (also, what parasites?)

It plays against the bosses of the House of Gales / Tower of Hera in Hyrule, and it is a
remix of A Link To The Past's boss battle theme
. You can hear it from 0:54 on this video. The new generic boss battle theme in A Link Between Worlds only plays during Lorule bosses.

By parasites I mean if you're recording directly from the game there are sound effects, but then I don't know if you guys hack the game / do audio editing or whatever.

GAMERG0D

Finished the game on Sunday and am ripping some of the music now.
Uploading on YouTube, here's one of them:

More to come once I get home from work. I have a lot of audio files already ripped and prepared, just need to render those pesky videos~

Any requests?
No one has
Skull Woods
uploaded yet. I love that one, maybe
Dark Palace
too.

ramyeon

Just played through my first 3 Lorule dungeons in a row.

Dark Palace
Swamp Palace
Thieves' Hideout

Loved them all and they all felt really different form one another. My favourite was probably the
Thieves' Hideout
. Felt really unique and it was heaps of fun. Managed to get the
Blue Tunic and Tempered Master Sword
as well as bought pretty much every item besides the Tornado Rod and Fire Rod. So far I've upgraded the Bow, Bombs, Hookshot, Boomerang and Ice Rod to the "Nice" versions as well.

Really hard to put this game down.

I completely disagree. The fun of the items is the using of the items, not the getting. The appeal of the dungeons is figuring out their puzzles and completing them. In past games you'd see something, figure you're not equipped yet to complete it, and just come back later. With this setup it's all about figuring it out. The designers can't rest on lazy use of items as keys. If something is hidden the only thing keeping it out of your reach is your ability to figure it out.

Except there is no figuring out in this game, every dungeon only has puzzles that make use of the one item. By allowing the player to tackle dungeons in any order they have to make dungeons that can be solved with only that one item. It limits the puzzle creativity when you only need one dungeon item and the wall merge ability. In what other zelda game are both bombs and arrows completely useless outside of the one dungeon they're required for? I've already explore the entire over world so there is nothing left to find there and the dungeons can't be required to use my items as not every player may have the bow or bombs due to the rental system.

Also the fun of zelda is imo going back and exploring old areas with new items, instead now I just clean out an entire section the first time I get there and never come back. There is also no sense of mystery when I see weird notches in the wall or a heart piece in a bizarre area as to "how can I get that", I just get it cause I already have everything. This game might as well be stage based as there is no reason to explore old areas unless you missed things the first time around.

Maybe they could have fixed this feeling in me by making every dungeon access able at the outset along with every item, but instead of renting you could only buy. You can pick one item for free and the rest cost a ton, but at the end of each dungeon you get a huge rupee award, so I can only afford to buy one or two items.

Grampasso

After playing a bit (three dungeons in Lorule), I'd say the whole item renting system is an interesting but ultimately flawed idea. I feel like playing (for a lack of better analogue) Metroidvania with all upgrades available right from start instead of endgame.
If they decide to keep this system in future Zelda titles, I believe it would be better to remove renting completely, while preserving the buying option. That way the game will still be non-linear, but players will have to make a choice - which way they want to go or in which item they want to invest, instead of renting the whole item set right from the start.
I don't feel like it's really bad, the only thing I really complain about is the fact that there are no wallet sizes. I'd rather have a very small wallet (like max 200 rupees) at the start, so you're forced to actually choose what to get. Some items could even be impossible to rent/buy (because for example the price is higher than the maximum size of your current wallet). I'd also like the possibility to choose to LEAVE rupees in a chest when you open it (if I remember well in some iteration they wouldn't let you take the rupees in a chest with full wallet).

Grampasso

I was horrified to hear about the complete dungeons in any order you like mechanic, but it is comforting to see so many people praise the pacing. Is the game using soft obstacles such as harder enemies, harder puzzles and less obvious entrances to suggest a recommended order of tackling dungeons, or is it really a free choice between "equal" areas? If the latter is true, I am amazed that they got the pacing right (and looking forward to seeing the specific design decisions they made).

This is true to some extent, but not totally.
Once you get to Lorule someone tells you the dungeons can't be normally reached but you have to find spots in Hyrule to switch world.
But you can do 2 dungeons without leaving Lorule at all, if I remember correctly, and in one of them you CAN find the Blue tunic halving the damage you take. So logically speaking that would better be the first dungeon you visit (enemies hit for more in Lorule) and the game lets you reach it in an easier way than the others. But other than that you can also completely avoid the "hints" and go your own way.

Beepos

I have played every single 2D Zelda title, minus Phantom Hour Glass and Spirit Tracks and loved all of them

Now I hear this game is easy - like I mean not even a challenge of ever coming close to dieing, mega easy. I do remember LA and ALTTP having some more difficult areas (unless you really prepared with bottles and fairies). And while my memory is quit hazy, I definitely remember dieing at times through first time play throughs (I believe even Oracles/Seasons had some tough boss fights)

Ok, so if combat is no threat, there will at least will be some creative, maybe difficult puzzles instead right? But from the new system of doing dungeons in any order with the item system, I suspect the puzzles cannot be designed around a specific dungeon item where many of the more challenging puzzles were formulated in that regard.

I don't want to buy a 3/2DS for the game if there is simply no challenge at all. As good as the game could be in every way and still be enjoyable, I don't want another Minish Cap where I can yawn my way through the difficulty.

2D Zelda for me are such captivating, awesome games but perhaps in my older age and experiencing rogue like dungeon crawlers I never accessed before (Binding of Issac ect) I need something in this department even if everything else in the package is perfect.

Thoughts people?

Rich!

I have played every single 2D Zelda title, minus Phantom Hour Glass and Spirit Tracks and loved all of them

Now I hear this game is easy - like I mean not even a challenge of ever coming close to dieing, mega easy. I do remember LA and ALTTP having some more difficult areas (unless you really prepared with bottles and fairies). And while my memory is quit hazy, I definitely remember dieing at times through first time play throughs (I believe even Oracles/Seasons had some tough boss fights)

Ok, so if combat is no threat, there will at least will be some creative, maybe difficult puzzles instead right? But from the new system of doing dungeons in any order with the item system, I suspect the puzzles cannot be designed around a specific dungeon item where many of the more challenging puzzles were formulated in that regard.

I don't want to buy a 3/2DS for the game if there is simply no challenge at all. As good as the game could be in every way and still be enjoyable, I don't want another Minish Cap where I can yawn my way through the difficulty.

2D Zelda for me are such captivating, awesome games but perhaps in my older age and experiencing rogue like dungeon crawlers I never accessed before (Binding of Issac ect) I need something in this department even if everything else in the package is perfect.

Thoughts people?

There's goddamn hero mode which is the most challenging thing ever in a Zelda game. In normal mode, the dungeons had me stumped quote a few times more than any other Zelda, and the bosses are brutal.

Buy it.

The game was being too fun so the Ice dungeon had to come in and do what Ice in videogames so often does best and annoy the hell out of me. I'm glad I didn't leave that one till last as I originally planned, will wash that bitter taste down with the waters of the Swamp Palace.

Eusis

Thoughts people?
I nearly died wandering into the wrong place at times and had a few fairy revives. It's not very hard if you're a seasoned Zelda veteran and a gaming veteran in general, but it's no Wind Waker where I had to LET AN ENEMY SLOWLY BEAT ME TO DEATH to finally get a Game Over (normal version, original GC release. I have no need for going out of my way to see Game Over on Hero Mode Wii U.)

And the dungeons are generally "do it in any order" with the caveat you have THE central item for the dungeon in hand. So it's fundamentally not that different from prior Zelda dungeons, just that it's designed with the assumption you only have a few core abilities/skills, some that are acquired without rentals, and that you have the de facto Dungeon Item in hand. Granted, some dungeons don't really have that item requirement, but they tend to be very dependent on the wall merging mechanic for their puzzles.

If it's a challenge you want then this is going to be your best recent Zelda option that isn't Wind Waker HD, and that's only because that comes with Hero mode unlocked from the get go.

Porcile

Main story finished! Feelings below. I'm not quite done as I intend to explore Hyrule/Lorule a bit further before Mario comes out this Friday.

+ Brilliant brilliant dungeon design. They felt short but that's because I think I was enjoying them so much,
+ Graphics, despite looking like turd in screen shots are in fact lovely.
+ Great writing and world craftsmanship in general. Expected at this point, but it's always satisfying how the Zelda team never fails to deliver on creating a fascinating world.
+ Controls so tight and fluid, it's really a joy to actually play.
+ Difficulty feels just right to be honest. Bearing in mind I've played every Zelda game, so at this point a crazy challenge isn't to be expected. Just unlock Hero Mode from the start, please.

- Rental system. I've already expressed my thoughts that the rental system is slightly flawed in it's execution. It works, but there's better ways of dishing out items. Giving them all to you at start perhaps. I preferred buying the items than renting them. There's still much work to be done, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Zelda Wii U approaches it .
- No dungeon items. There's some handy upgrades but overall I miss getting a new item which unlocks previously hidden paths and fundamentally alters the way a dungeon plays out.
-Dungeons feel trivial because ultimately your desire to finish each one is incentivised by new developments in the story which don't amount to much anyway. The open ended nature of dungeon progression means there isn't a linear story to follow. Futher compounded by the point below.
- Story is totally predictable. One nice surprise:
Ravio being Lorule Link
but otherwise, I saw every other plot twist coming.

I just enjoyed the main game immensely. The good points totally outweigh the bad, but it's not my favourite Zelda, and it's probably not my favourite 2D Zelda either.

EDIT: Oh, and the music! Amazeballs.

TheExodu5

Banned

Thoughts people?

I'm loving the game, but no, it's not challenging at all. The dungeons are very easy and straightforward as well, with not much puzzle solving. The game is a lot of fun since it controls so well, but puzzle design leaves a lot to be desired.

Rich!

I'm loving the game, but no, it's not challenging at all. The dungeons are very easy and straightforward as well, with not much puzzle solving. The game is a lot of fun since it controls so well, but puzzle design leaves a lot to be desired.

Really? I'm of the opinion that ALBW has pretty much the best 2D dungeon design in the entire series, apart from Oracle of Ages.

The game was being too fun so the Ice dungeon had to come in and do what Ice in videogames so often does best and annoy the hell out of me. I'm glad I didn't leave that one till last as I originally planned, will wash that bitter taste down with the waters of the Swamp Palace.

I left the Ice Dungeon till last and wished I hadn't, those thin, moving platforms sections were a real pain. Probably my least favourite dungeon.

Porcile

I left the Ice Dungeon till last and wished I hadn't, those thin, moving platforms sections were a real pain. Probably my least favourite dungeon.

I'm still missing a chest from there. Really can't be bothered to go back and get it. It's pretty complex and slow figuring out how to get back the beginning once you've dropped a few floors.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ice was the second one I did. I actually found the journey there with the decent in Hyrule version of the cave more annoying. The journey up, despite being on thing platforms was actually easier.

TheExodu5

Banned
Really? I'm of the opinion that ALBW has pretty much the best 2D dungeon design in the entire series, apart from Oracle of Ages.

The dungeons are extremely linear and there's usually not much interaction across rooms. You just follow a path, complete whatever puzzle is in the room, and move on. The puzzles are never more than simple item or ability use puzzles. You either use an item or ability in a location, or you hit some switches. Since dungeons only ever require one item, there's never any complexity to these puzzles at all.

LttP dungeons were definitely more complex and involved. I recall the dungeon where you used the rod of Samaria had some good puzzles.

The dungeons are extremely linear and there's usually not much interaction across rooms. You just follow a path, complete whatever puzzle is in the room, and move on. The puzzles are never more than simple item or ability use puzzles. You either use an item or ability in a location, or you hit some switches. Since dungeons only ever require one item, there's never any complexity to these puzzles at all.

LttP dungeons were definitely more complex and involved. I recall the dungeon where you used the rod of Samaria had some good puzzles.

You're thinking of Misery Mire. Or maybe Turtle Rock. ALTTP's Turtle Rock was a much better dungeon.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh god. I am kinda stuck. Impressive. I beat the first dungeon and am trying to get to the lower dungeon (I think water?) but I can't lift some rocks or drown trying to get to the place where the X is marked. I feel dumb. Maybe I need to beat the one in the north first? Btw... loving the game. Love the 60fps, the graphics are ok, the music is godly. Just happy with it.

Also... dat Majora's Mask.

Serrato

You're thinking of Misery Mire. Or maybe Turtle Rock. ALTTP's Turtle Rock was a much better dungeon.

Turtle Rock in ALTTP is the optimal dungeon. You pretty much need every item before, it's huge, it's difficult, it's a maze. I know it like the back of my hand nowadays but I assure you, a first-timer will Die in that dungeon. Some enemies hurt like a truck, even with the Blue Mail at that point. That infamous room with the Moving platform and all the spinning fire lines will make you throw that controller.

I still think it's one of the best dungeon ever made.

Celine

Yay, just got it.

I'm wandering through Hyrule carefree, captain will see his sword someday lol.

Music inside the temple in the north of Hyrule castle is awesome.

pringles

Turtle Rock in ALTTP is the optimal dungeon. You pretty much need every item before, it's huge, it's difficult, it's a maze. I know it like the back of my hand nowadays but I assure you, a first-timer will Die in that dungeon. Some enemies hurt like a truck, even with the Blue Mail at that point. That infamous room with the Moving platform and all the spinning fire lines will make you throw that controller.

I still think it's one of the best dungeon ever made.
It's one of my least favorite Zelda dungeons ever.

Rich!

Hahahahaha, yah I guess I see were you come from.

Few people like it the first times they do it. But if you ever play that game over 20-30 times, you come to appreciate it for what it does.

I've been playing LTTP for almost 20 years now.

I always dread Turtle Rock, even today. It's a shitty shitty dungeon.

Decided to go right into a playthrough in Hero mode. Dam, I love this game and Hero mode is so so good!! The dificulty is so good nad now I'm actually using my sub weapons more.

ALBW's Turtle Rock was such a disappointment. I saved it for last because of ALTTP's version and all I got was a mediocre fire dungeon and no mirror shield.

MrDeeds

Neo Member
Oh god. I am kinda stuck. Impressive. I beat the first dungeon and am trying to get to the lower dungeon (I think water?) but I can't lift some rocks or drown trying to get to the place where the X is marked. I feel dumb. Maybe I need to beat the one in the north first? Btw... loving the game. Love the 60fps, the graphics are ok, the music is godly. Just happy with it.

Also... dat Majora's Mask.

You need
the flippers from Zora's Domain (northeast Hyrule), just like ALttP

Serrato

I've been playing LTTP for almost 20 years now.

I always dread Turtle Rock, even today. It's a shitty shitty dungeon.

Hahaha well that's exactly why. It's THAT dungeon. You know it's eventually coming. You remember THAT room, those Laser eyes, that maze. You pretty much need to be skillful to beat it.

And that's why I love it. Even today, even after I did a No-Hit run ONCE (never again, my nerves), that dungeon is still hard.

Alright guys. I'm an hour in, and I'm glad I decided to listen to the game instead of watch a movie while playing (on an elliptical machine).

The music is glorious. I want to buy a soundtrack.

Rich!

It was interesting seeing Taro Bando in the credits as the sound effects designer. I know he's worked on Zelda before, but still.

He does good work.

Top Bottom