• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most talked about game on social media

Lots of salt, which always seems to be the case whenever a Nintendo game wins at anything. So what excuses are we up to now?

* Nintendo fans have nothing else to play?
* Millions of secret Nintendo fans
* Methodology biased towards Nintendo
* Doesn't count for for reasons
* Nintendo fans easily impressed (thanks DNAbro)

Eradicate

Cool find; thank you! It is a very impressive game! The top half seems about right based on impressions across media and on here. It's funny Minecraft is as high as it is; did it have new announcements or something? I know it's generally popular, but I never heard anything new about it!

They also showed Pokemon, which only got a fraction of the mentions

And everyone was complaining about that! "Why so much screen time?! We know how it plays!!!" You think it would have thought all the complaining would shoot it to the top!

Didn't know there were more Nintendo fans than Sony, Microsoft and PC platform fans combined, damn

LOL!!! True!

Crash Bandicoot at 7th, yet we still can't get a new game. The market is there, people.

It's crazy there isn't another Crash Bandicoot for sure. They are pretty unique games in how they play, the setting, etc. that it seems like such a missed opportunity. Hopefully the remasters will spur a ton of interest in them.

Well duh, it looks incredible!

I felt a sense of wonder from the trailer absent from most other games this E3, except for Nier Automata and The Last Guardian.

Litri

There's simply no contest. I feel like A LOT of games this E3 have the same feel/looks and it will probably help Zelda.

DNAbro

Lots of salt, which always seems to be the case whenever a Nintendo game wins at anything. So what excuses are we up to now?

* Nintendo fans have nothing else to play?
* Millions of secret Nintendo fans
* Methodology biased towards Nintendo
* Doesn't count for for reasons

*Nintendo fans easily impressed

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Horizon looks great. If it was Zelda it would be talked about and viewed more. You don't understand the power of a brand.

If Zelda's brand power was anything to sneeze at, we would have had a new one years ago. The ranking is nice to see, but also easy to understand.

1) Nintendo has delayed this thing for 3 years now.
2) Nostalgia. Like most Nintendo IPs. Nostalgia is stronger than their reality lately.
3) Not much else to look forward to from Nintendo.
4) Surprise. It's a big change for the franchise so it garnered great interest.

I think people want Nintendo do well and the love for Zelda as a whole are high. But reality is a different story. Hopefully, Nintendo doesn't fuck this up.

Dr. Buni

Shows how popular the series is, I guess. As for myself, I can't get excited for Zelda Wii U, nofin they showed so far sparks my interest. Wish they would release a new console Zelda with young Link again, but that doesn't seem to be somefin they even consider. Oh well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It means the combat looks simplistic and basically unchanged bar weapon durability and a simplistic stealth system that should not be considered newsworthy and enemy AI that looked extremely dense. The open world looked sparse and the ways in which you interact with it, and the new crafting system, look like something that wouldn't have been revolutionary in a PS2 title let alone a marquis game in 2016.

I am not saying it looks like trash, I'm just saying it looks extremely mediocre.

But no, apparently the fact that you can beat it without engaging in the story is enough to cause fans to defecate themselves and worthy of it's own thread.

Look at the mounted combat in Horizon. Do you see people making their own threads proclaiming it the second coming of christ because you can fire an arrow from a mount? And yet with Zelda it becomes a game of the show worthy feature.

In all honesty it's laughable.
Twilight princess did mounted combat near a a decade ago. It's actually surprising the feature isn't more common since then. Also shooting arrows wield shieldboarding is actually a fairly rare feature.

Is this the time that we acknowledge that, given the cards they actually had to play, Nintendo's E3 presence was pretty perfectly judged this year?

With the absence of NX, they didn't have much, but they really showed what they have very well.

Heroman

Banned
It more than just Nintendo fans, just look at gaf Zelda is easily the most talk about game on here with only RE7 come close.

JobenNC

Look at the hysterical hyperbole in these Zelda threads, people losing their shit over a game that looks and plays like it's from 2008, and tell me who is the one smoking.

I'm actually a little embarrassed for GAF for losing it's objectivity over this game. If it was being released by Ubisoft and called The Legend of Belda it would be written off as an outdated, mediocre looking action RPG.

We must all mourn the loss of Neogaf's legendary impartiality.

Zelda looks absurdly good. I'm so glad it got pushed to after graduation for me. I wish there was more hype out there for Horizon. I feel like that's a game with potential mass appeal as well. However, 100+ hours of mount & blade suggest I might just really be into mounted archery.

geordiemp

Makes sense when Nintendo fans have nothing else to talk about.

My first thought, but hey 'won E3'. It did stream all day when most games had 5 minute slots and a new Zelda has been absent for what seems like a lifetime.

Nintendo fans always win the social media every year anyway......thats nice.

I really hope the Nx brings Nintendo up to date, the pop in and LOD was bloody awful as was the Vaseline filter, Zelda is good software let down by terrible hardware. Nintendo fans deserve better imo.

PsychBat!

Banned
I am by no means a Zelda hater and was looking forward to seeing what Nintendo had to offer, I am flabbergasted at the reaction from GAF. People urinating themselves over a companion locked behind an Amiibo like it is some kind of extreme revolution in gaming, and claiming the graphics are incredible because there are some ok looking explosion effects. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it, all the other big games announced at E3 have had fanboys and counter-fanboys and somewhere in between is the reality, but with Zelda it's full on kool aid psychosis.

I very much doubt the paying public will share this mentality unless the NX version is significantly, significantly better across the board.

I can't wait until you're in another Zelda Wii U thread repeating the same old tired rant again and again.

It means the combat looks simplistic and basically unchanged bar weapon durability and a simplistic stealth system that should not be considered newsworthy and enemy AI that looked extremely dense. The open world looked sparse and the ways in which you interact with it, and the new crafting system, look like something that wouldn't have been revolutionary in a PS2 title let alone a marquis game in 2016.

I am not saying it looks like trash, I'm just saying it looks extremely mediocre.

But no, apparently the fact that you can beat it without engaging in the story is enough to cause fans to defecate themselves and worthy of it's own thread.

Look at the mounted combat in Horizon. Do you see people making their own threads proclaiming it the second coming of christ because you can fire an arrow from a mount? And yet with Zelda it becomes a game of the show worthy feature.

The anger. :lol

I've seen much more excitement over the big world, game physics, and refreshed design elements than the amiibo and even the graphics, which plenty acknowledge are held back by Wii U hardware. The excitement is very understandable considering the game feels like Nintendo's answer to years of critique and suggestion.

That is absolutely right, that is what this game is, and that is why I am so disappointed. I presume that is also why the diehard fans are so incapable of being critical of what they are seeing, because they truly don't want to believe that it's possible this Zelda is not quite as amazing as they know it needs to be.

I am sure it will play well and such, but nothing shown pushes any boundary, not in art direction, not in story telling, not in graphics, not in gameplay, absolutely not in open world design (big =/= better)... And therefore I see no reason to expect this to seriously turn around Nintendo's fortunes in the mainstream gaming market. 14 year old and 30 year olds who have left the fold are probably not going to be won over by this, when it has already been surpassed on most levels by competing games released years ago. If they wanted open world, they had Witcher. If they wanted tight, fantasy-themed combat, they had Souls.

Yeah this game has that Zelda spirit but that wasn't enough for Skyward Sword, why would it be enough for this?

Phediuk

Has Nintendo ever not won the "social media battle" since they started doing the all-day streaming?

I feel like this thread is made every year.

Prompto

Banned
Zelda is definitely the most talked about game from E3 regardless but it being so much larger than any other game is more probably due to it streaming all day.

Plum

This isn't "firing an arrow from a mount", this is being chased by a boss through the overworld, making a fire in front of said boss, jumping off your horse and using the updraft to float up THEN shooting the boss with an arrow.

All done with no indication, no Link saying "maybe I can use the updraft to gain some height!", nothing. And from what they've said on stream that's not an easy trick to pull off at all. THAT is what people were "defecating themselves" over (what's with the bodily-function-laced hyperbole?).

It was by far the most interesting game shown.

I'm surprised FFXV is so low. Final Fantasy used to be huge, SE is doing their best to run the franchise into the ground. It used to be such a great series...

oti

Banned
Crash Bandicoot at 7th, yet we still can't get a new game. The market is there, people.

Half of those tweets are like "Crash? Who dat?" lol kidding. I thing the remasters are a great start to maybe more down the road.

Mej53Yj.jpg

The trailer's been gaining about 100k views per hour and will probably be Nintendo's most watched game trailer ever on its channel (Passing NSMB 2) by the end of the day today, and will probably pass the 2DS video within a week or two.

It also was the #1 story on Reddit yesterday for a while.

I'm sure we'll have a thread after E3 is over, but the early returns suggest Nintendo's strategy for this year was successful.

Thanks for reminding about Wario's "Crowdfarter", it was pure gold (unlike the game).

Caelus

4) Surprise. It's a big change for the franchise so it garnered great interest.

Mostly this, I feel. Personally, I didn't get much 'nostalgia' vibes from the game since my youth consisted of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild seems to step away from that formula and is more of a spiritual successor to the very first game.

Especially in comparison to previous entries in the series, there's not much of anything to complain about in regards to Nintendo not shaking things up with Zelda. No handholding, no long tutorials or opening, much more customization and weather and environmental interactivity... obviously there are games now which feature such things, and people are very eager to point that out, but that doesn't really degrade the potential quality of BotW to me.

That is absolutely right, that is what this game is, and that is why I am so disappointed. I presume that is also why the diehard fans are so incapable of being critical of what they are seeing, because they truly don't want to believe that it's possible this Zelda is not quite as amazing as they know it needs to be.

I am sure it will play well and such, but nothing shown pushes any boundary, not in art direction, not in story telling, not in graphics, not in gameplay, absolutely not in open world design (big =/= better)... And therefore I see no reason to expect this to seriously turn around Nintendo's fortunes in the mainstream gaming market. 14 year old and 30 year olds who have left the fold are probably not going to be won over by this, when it has already been surpassed on most levels by competing games released years ago. If they wanted open world, they had Witcher. If they wanted tight, fantasy-themed combat, they had Souls.

Yeah this game has that Zelda spirit but that wasn't enough for Skyward Sword, why would it be enough for this?

So basically "THere are better games so stopped being impressed." Thats what gaming is all about right? Playing the most innovative and technologically driven games and not giving time to other games because ugh they're so yesterdays model.

This isn't "firing an arrow from a mount", this is being chased by a boss through the overworld, making a fire in front of said boss, jumping off your horse and using the updraft to float up THEN shooting the boss with an arrow.

All done with no indication, no Link saying "maybe I can use the updraft to gain some height!", nothing. And from what they've said on stream that's not an easy trick to pull off at all. THAT is what people were "defecating themselves" over (what's with the bodily-function-laced hyperbole?).

Stop feeding the troll

Oregano

I loved those PS2 games were you could use dynamic air currents to set fire to grass to explode a bomb. Or the ones where you could set a fire and use the upgrade to propel yourself in the air.

Man the PS2 was a physics beast.

LordRaptor

There were two games from very long running Japanese franchises shown that were so radically different from their predecessors that if I hadn't known it was from that franchise I probably wouldn't have guessed based on what was shown, outside of a couple of familiar elements appearing.

Zelda was one of the two, and it was the one that looked like the people making it know what they're doing, are heading in an intriguing new direction, and is a thing I would like to play.

It's funny Minecraft is as high as it is; did it have new announcements or something? I know it's generally popular, but I never heard anything new about it!

It had a whole section to itself at the MS presser with a bunch of new features and a surprise endorsement from John Carmack

Top Bottom