• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most talked about game on social media

Nibel

It means the combat looks simplistic and basically unchanged bar weapon durability and a simplistic stealth system that should not be considered newsworthy and enemy AI that looked extremely dense. The open world looked sparse and the ways in which you interact with it, and the new crafting system, look like something that wouldn't have been revolutionary in a PS2 title let alone a marquis game in 2016.

I am not saying it looks like trash, I'm just saying it looks extremely mediocre.

But no, apparently the fact that you can beat it without engaging in the story is enough to cause fans to defecate themselves and worthy of it's own thread.

Look at the mounted combat in Horizon. Do you see people making their own threads proclaiming it the second coming of christ because you can fire an arrow from a mount? And yet with Zelda it becomes a game of the show worthy feature.

In all honesty it's laughable.

That's because mounted combat already happened in 1998

BAId2i1.jpg

So basically "THere are better games so stopped being impressed." Thats what gaming is all about right? Playing the most innovative and technologically driven games and not giving time to other games because ugh they're so yesterdays model.

There are much more impressive games on display and Nintendo don't deserve so much praise for introducing derivative features that weren't cutting edge even years ago, or designing what appears to be an incredibly sparse open world that has been vastly surpassed by other devs. That's what I'm saying.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be happy and excited but claiming this is the game of E3 is an affront to the fact that many developers have already done what this game does, for years, and they are here at this E3 doing far more and not getting the same praise...

In a Nintendo official forum I wouldn't expect otherwise but from GAF?? I am genuinely shocked.

LordRaptor

There are much more impressive games on display and Nintendo don't deserve so much praise for introducing derivative features that weren't cutting edge even years ago. That's what I'm saying.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be happy and excited but claiming this is the game of E3 is an affront to the fact that many developers have already done what this game does, for years, and they are here at this E3 don't far more and not getting the same praise...

In a Nintendo official forum I wouldn't expect otherwise but from GAF?? I am genuinely shocked.

I dunno, GTAV was pretty well received.

Hazzuh

Horizon and Zelda were the two games I liked the most by a long way. Both games looked dope, dunno why some people are so angry that people about it.

Zelda also got promoted far more than any other game. Most games got less than 5 mins of gameplay shown on the big stage, Zelda had 100k+ people watching for several hours. There's not a lot to talk about when all you see is a short teaser even if you like the teaser.

jblank83

There are much more impressive games on display and Nintendo don't deserve so much praise for introducing derivative features...

Maybe you should re-evaluate that opinion then.

It's seems to be the most interesting game of the show.

That doesn't mean it's necessarily the best game of the show for everyone ;-) But Breath of Wild has breathtaking graphics (despite they are not high end PC graphics) and the game is not (very rare at this e3) an interactive movie.

It seems to have more substance thats worth to talk about than many other games at this e3.

Horizon and Zelda were the two games I liked the most by a long way. Both games looked dope, dunno why some people are so angry that people about it.

Zelda also got promoted far more than any other game. Most games got less than 5 mins of footage shown on the big stage max, Zelda had 100k+ people watching for several hours.

To be fair, press was covering other games on the showfloor during that same period people were watching Zelda

geordiemp

Looks like they're going to be selling a lot of Wii U's next year.

Oh you

Why do people still think CoD MW Remastered would outsell Infinite Warfare

It wont without its own release. It might have done as a budget stand alone product.

COD will still move 20 million + imo and is in a different league, but doubt COD fans like to type about it in forums or tweet about it, they just buy it and play religiously.

Zarovitch

There are much more impressive games on display and Nintendo don't deserve so much praise for introducing derivative features that weren't cutting edge even years ago. That's what I'm saying.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be happy and excited but claiming this is the game of E3 is an affront to the fact that many developers have already done what this game does, for years, and they are here at this E3 don't far more and not getting the same praise...

This E3 must be bad for you. There's not a lot of new gameplay mechanic.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Question for those who keep trying to downplay the game(maybe convincing themselves to not buy it or maybe because Zelda spit in their cereal):

If this game is truly nothing special, then why are even the media and visitors liking it a lot as well? Why does it have millions of youtube views that keep going up? Even Giant Bomb, who are very critical of most E3 game showings, were moved by it. Clearly if people thought it wasn't special they would treat it like Star Fox Zero.

Tell me why and we can play some good old bingo.

Derpot

You clearly have a fetish.

Yeah, jeez gross lol

It's okay not to like the game, but come on, no need to go that far.
People are just very enthusiastic, I know I am too. We saw very big changes compared to the other games of the series, the details are incredible, it's beautiful and it looks so fun to play !
This is what matters, no?

Question for those who keep trying to downplay the game(maybe convincing themselves to not buy it or maybe because Zelda spit in their cereal):

If this game is truly nothing special, then why are even the media and visitors liking it a lot as well? Why does it have millions of youtube views that keep going up? Even Giant Bomb, who are very critical of most E3 game showings, were moved by it. Clearly if people thought it wasn't special they would treat it like Star Fox Zero.

Tell me why and we can play some good old bingo.

Clearly everyone in the planet is a Zelda brainwashed fanboy. Also I love how he selectively quote people and ignore 90% of the replies to him. A true troll.

When Nintendo starts winning awards for most innovative gameplay/technological graphics for zelda u then maybe you'd have a valid criticism. People were exciting by a game and you're here telling them to stop being excited because this stuff is old. Wow.

E-phonk

Banned
Nintendo internal meetings are going to be interesting.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of games built on this engine during the NX years.
Was thinking the same. Also the next zelda build upon this engine will already have a lot of stuff pre-made, as interaction between objects/environment is kind of crazy.

Game of the show for me too.

Like a lot of people I think, I wasn't expecting to be blown away by this. I play a lot of games on all platforms, but this feels very special. As some have said, it's not necessarily that any one thing is totally new or groundbreaking, it's the way all of the elements have come together to create something I simply really want to play.

There are much more impressive games on display and Nintendo don't deserve so much praise for introducing derivative features that weren't cutting edge even years ago, or designing what appears to be an incredibly sparse open world that has been vastly surpassed by other devs. That's what I'm saying.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be happy and excited but claiming this is the game of E3 is an affront to the fact that many developers have already done what this game does, for years, and they are here at this E3 doing far more and not getting the same praise...

Opinions exist, eh? Shocking. Sorry you are finding yourself in the minority of opinions here.

Hazzuh

To be fair, press was covering other games on the showfloor during that same period people were watching Zelda

It's true but Nintendo have a much easier time getting people to watch than IGN or people like that. If Sony streamed hours of Horizon footage instead of their press conference it would obviously be much higher up the list.

Fredrik

Deserved. Horizon Zero Dawn was my game of the show until I started watching Treehouse, after that it wasn't even close, Zelda Breath of the Wild is the game of the show with a wide margin, I was almost in tears of joy after seeing the gameplay the first time.

There's really nothing like the Legend of Zelda, and this entry looks like it's hitting all the marks the audience has been asking for, and then some. This going to be the pinnacle of the franchise.
So deserved.

Kouichi

Well it was the best game shown at E3.

Oh and for a series that people keep saying nobody cares about and had no footage at all, Crash is pretty high up there. Just saying.

Crayolan

"Other people having different opinions from me is an affront to other video game developers"

I think you need to take a step back and realize what you're saying.

I agree in certain points, yes, open worlds have been done better in other titles, yes, there is soul and Witcher, and yes, Nintendo seems to be way back in time when talking about trends and what customers want.

However, excitement comes when a company goes outside of what they usually do, we are fans of Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, etc, and even thou this new Zelda is by no means a pioneer in it's own genre, we are in front of a title that goes completely against what the franchise had established

It might not look as good as current gen games, but for us, that have been fans for countless years, and are used to what Nintendo creates, it is a big deal, our excitement doesn't come because we believe this is the best game ever, it comes because it is the best looking game in the franchise, we are in no means comparing it to witcher or souls, some fans do, but not all of them, we have our own judgement, and yes, we say "it grabs inspiration from those games" because we recognize those games are the best in their own field, not because we say those games have been surpassed.

We get it, it is not the best game for you, and some user might go against you, but at least, in my opinion, this game hypes me the most because I love Zelda, I love those games, and inside the franchise, this is what I wanted for a long time.

Some people might not respect your opinion, and it happens, but for some people, this is the best E3 game.

geordiemp

Well it was the best game shown at E3.

For you and every other Nintendo fan.

Was not even close to my top 10. Thought gameplay looked fine, IQ and pop in / LOD was awful - a New console is so long overdue. Will look at it again if it looks better on Nx and maybe adds some density to the world,

Chaos17

Look at the hysterical hyperbole in these Zelda threads, people losing their shit over a game that looks and plays like it's from 2008, and tell me who is the one smoking.

I'm actually a little embarrassed for GAF for losing it's objectivity over this game. If it was being released by Ubisoft and called The Legend of Belda it would be written off as an outdated, mediocre looking action RPG.

#trhowbom

LUuhMIH.gif

Get some culture: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

PsychBat!

Banned
For you and every other Nintendo fan.

Was not even close to my top 10. Thought gameplay looked fine, IQ and pop in / LOD was awful - a New console is so long overdue.

So the only people who like it are Nintendo fans? They like the game because they like Nintendo?

Judging from how many people's minds were blown by 10-year-old features, I'd say many of them do.

It's not single features but how they work as a whole that's impressive, heck, there's even a joke cover that lists some of the games Nintendo borrowed from. That said I've personally never seen this much physics based freedom in a game before, but if I'm wrong please direct me to that game so I can play it ASAP

RPGCrazied

I've heard people saying it looks to easy, well, I saw a rock golem one shotting link, plus they never left the first area. I expect challenge in some areas.

Alienous

What is it with this 'sparse open world' complaint.

The game is about adventure. Finding your way. There are enemies, items, and over 100 shrines (mini-temples) as the game's alternative to the Ubisoft Towers™. You traverse this world by gliding, skiing, horse-riding, running, climbing. You search, gain abilities, meet characters, face bosses, survive.

What more do you want?

The gif
t
that keeps on giving.

It's always a good thing that people are excited about a specific game. Nintendo lost a lot of good will for console gamers; hopefully this is their return to glory.

Top Bottom