• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite how jarring it is to hear VO in an LoZ game for me, that was a really exciting trailer.
The designs of those NPCs are just fantastic.

I saw this on twitter, source?

C2Btuv4UkAEeFFi.jpg

C2Btu-8UcAAzgP9.jpg

These characters look so cool. OuO

This game was by and far the highlight of last night.

Like it's amazing how much better than everything else it was.

I'm an idiot. I traded in my Wii U a month ago to put some money towards the Switch because I put faith in Nintendo but now I'm wishing I'd have just kept it and gotten BotW on it.

Oxn

This game was by and far the highlight of last night.

Like it's amazing how much better than everything else it was.

I'm an idiot. I traded in my Wii U a month ago to put some money towards the Switch because I put faith in Nintendo but now I'm wishing I'd have just kept it and gotten BotW on it.

you dun goofed

pestul

Holy crap.. fell asleep before the presentation last night and this trailer is all I'm going to show my wife. The rest of it was so disappointing but this is incredible.

Has anyone giffed the horse combat portion yet? The animation there was AWESOME.

PrimeBeef

I'm sorry, but this is laughable. Your definition of "art" seems to only be dark and mature. It's all dark dark dark. And LOTR had an incredibly simple story. Zelda games have always had the same tone of complexity as the Avatar series.

Arguments about a more mature or adult theme in games always reminds me of this C.S. Lewis quote, “Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

RPGCrazied

Not going to lie, that trailer got me shedding tears. So am assuming Wii U gets it on the 11th or something? I knew they said a week after switches launch, is that still right?

Forkball

Maybe I should wait for GameXplain... but where are the real ass dungeons? They've never really highlighted them at all, only the open world aspects and the mini-dungeons. I know this game is a big break from the Zelda formula, but I hope they didn't skimp on one of its defining aspects.

And honestly, I didn't really like Zelda in the trailer. She's crying like a weenie in front of Link? I know she's basically a damsel in distress every time she pops up but damn, they even gave her the girly run.

Artdayne

Welp, guess I'm venturing back into the Zelda series for the first time since A Link to the Past! I'm probably just going to buy a Wii U to play it though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I hope we get some comparison of the Wii U and Switch versions before launch.

Really waffling on keeping my Switch preorder. Zelda running much better on it would probably have me keep it. Not being much difference I may just get it on Wii U and hold off on Switch until 2018 or beyond.

Adryuu

No way it's looking and running that good on Wii U ever. And that's having watched on the phone.

Music was cool, almost SotC level awesome.

Trailer itself and art design straight out of a good anime.

Impressed! T_T

Twookie

I liked everything in the English version of the trailer apart from the old woman voice at the start of the trailer. sounded like someone who's not old tried to emulate someone sounding old and failing at it.

gosh this game looks so fucking good aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Majukun

stopped watching the trailer after it satrted becoming a bit too spoilery in terms of the story..but avoiding the gifs and spoiler until the 3rd of march will be impossible :(

sora87

That trailer made me emotional friends, i could feel the eyes watering up. It's everything I imagined back when I played the first zelda.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I saw this on twitter, source?

C2Btuv4UkAEeFFi.jpg

C2Btu-8UcAAzgP9.jpg

These are the best race designs in the series.
During the Zora segment of the trailer, you can see what looks like some sort of hammerhead Zora in the background with a greyish colour. It reminds me of One Piece where the fishmen take after different species of Fish. How cool is that?
The Gorons look to be bursting with energy as usual, the new bird race once again takes that species inspiration and has the character represent different types of birds, and the Gerudo have never looked better.

The new art style really does everyone justice. I can't wait to explore these race's kingdoms. Its the biggest appeal for me in the game, and it looks like theyre going heavy with story and lore to boot.

zeldablue

I really need to leave before I spoil everything...

But apparently on the back of the pre-order box there are more screenshots. One shows Zelda holding
the Master Sword.

The plot continues. >____>

Also, the Gerudo girl has green eyes and pointed ears. The Gerudo usually have golden eyes and rounded ears. Looks like sneaking into Castle Town to find "boyfriends" might have actually affected how the Gerudo look now. Heh....

Mokiki

Neo Member
As others have said the trailer was amazing.

And here is hoping they will include the Japanese VO as an option but since it is Nintendo I doubt they are even aware that people would like that. :(

When Bloodborne came out, it was pretty common to see people reveling in the sense of adventure it provided. It was a pleasure just to walk around in that game. It was a pleasure to see the sights and face the unknown and uncover the mystery. Bloodborne gave a lot of people a feeling they hadn't felt for a long time. It was the feeling that, to play the game, you were actually submitting to it. The game was bigger than you. You weren't just playing to beat it, you were playing to come to wholly understand everything it contained.

I sometimes struggle with explaining what constitutes an adventure. It's not just a journey, the where you travel from one place to another. It's not just a narrative that tells you an engrossing story. The feeling of adventure, of going on one and being on one, is a rare experience. I think, the better you get at games and the older you get, the harder it is to feel that feeling again. I remember thinking A Link to the Past was an adventure. I remember even feeling like Super Mario 64 was an adventure. It was the feeling that you didn't know where the game was going, or when it would end, or what you would find or what was coming next. These games don't feel that way for me anymore. I know them too well.

I remember seeing threads here from Soulsborne players wishing modern Zelda was more like those games. I always thought this was misguided. I feel as though that was a misinterpretation of the emotion playing a game like Soulsborne conjures up.

It's the feeling of knowing you want see something, without knowing exactly what it is, but trusting it will be delivered to you if you persevere. It's the feeling that you just can't stop because you might miss something. That's the feeling Bloodborne gave me. That's the feeling Zelda used to give me.

That's the feeling this trailer gives me.

There's plenty of posts here from people saying the trailer is making them emotional. It's making them teary or making their heart beat faster. This is the Nintendo Magic I never thought I'd feel again. I thought I had outgrown it. I thought I would never be humbled by a game like Zelda again. But here I am, breathless like a ten year old, knowing that there is something out there that I need to go out and find. Breath of the Wild is going to take me somewhere. I don't know where, but I won't miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom