• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldablue

Is the Switch version better graphically compared to the WiiU ? Or both are the same ?

Probably just better/smoother framerate honestly...

Maybe I should wait for GameXplain... but where are the real ass dungeons? They've never really highlighted them at all, only the open world aspects and the mini-dungeons. I know this game is a big break from the Zelda formula, but I hope they didn't skimp on one of its defining aspects.

And honestly, I didn't really like Zelda in the trailer. She's crying like a weenie in front of Link? I know she's basically a damsel in distress every time she pops up but damn, they even gave her the girly run.

Yeahhh. Zelda looks like a weeny. I know people don't like hearing this, but...it's just hard seeing Zelda go from Sheik in OoT...to more and more whiny with each new title. I hope her royally messing up and being a wreck will be part of her growth as a stronger character later on similar to Linebeck, Midna, (Spirit Tracks) Zelda etc. Buuuut...if it's not...then yeah, I'm not going to be a happy camper unfortunately.

Still staying positive, Zelda looks very active to me, and if she has a lot of screen time then she has plenty of time to be as great or better than past partners/side characters in the series.

sonto340

Maybe I should wait for GameXplain... but where are the real ass dungeons? They've never really highlighted them at all, only the open world aspects and the mini-dungeons. I know this game is a big break from the Zelda formula, but I hope they didn't skimp on one of its defining aspects.

And honestly, I didn't really like Zelda in the trailer. She's crying like a weenie in front of Link? I know she's basically a damsel in distress every time she pops up but damn, they even gave her the girly run.
While it's nice to have strong female characters in video games it's okay for some female characters to not be.

Yeahhh. Zelda looks like a weeny. I know people don't like hearing this, but...it's just hard seeing Zelda go from Sheik in OoT...to more and more whiny with each new title. I hope her royally messing up and being a wreck will be part of her growth as a stronger character later on similar to Linebeck, Midna, (Spirit Tracks) Zelda etc. Buuuut...if it's not...then yeah, I'm not going to be a happy camper unfortunately.

Still staying positive, Zelda looks very active to me, and if she has a lot of screen time then she has plenty of time to be as great or better than past partners/side characters in the series.

Zelda's had more active roles in nearly every game she's been in since OoT than she was as Shiek. Female characters don't have to be emotionless badass robots to be strong characters. Everybody just calm down already.

Skeletos311

owE3tlI.jpg

Yeahhh. Zelda looks like a weeny. I know people don't like hearing this, but...it's just hard seeing Zelda go from Sheik in OoT...to more and more whiny with each new title..

Have you actually played the Zelda games since Oot? Because this...doesn't seem accurate

Everyone worried about Zelda herself: please remember we saw another trailer where she clenches her fist in rage.

It's very possible that the disempowered Zelda we see in this trailer is where she begins. She clearly has caused a dramatic problem she didn't foresee and it stands to reason she will be motivated to fix it. Zelda may very well have a character arc that puts her in a much more flattering position.

Altazor

Thanks to the super hi-res pictures on Nintendo's Flickr, I realized you can make out some "provinces" names out of the cloth map in the Master/Special Edition. Here you go.

You can clearly see "Central Hyrule", "Faron" and a new name: "Hebra".

Realeza

Banned
The map that comes with the special edition has illustrations of the 4 big bosses in the game. That lends credibility to the 4 dungeons theory.

zeldablue

Zelda's had more active roles in nearly every game she's been in since OoT than she was as Shiek. Female characters don't have to be emotionless badass robots to be strong characters. Everybody just calm down already.

Lemme tell you a tale. It was 2005 at the height of Twilight Princess's hype. Everyone was exploding with ideas about how different and awesome this title would be. Nintendo fed us with ideas that made us genuinely feel that this was going to be unique. Suddenly...someone noticed a picture of the Master Sword. Outrage poured out of most Zelda forums...why? Because when people saw the Master Sword...they knew exactly what that meant. It meant, get 3 thingies, get the MasterSword, kill Ganon(Dorf) and save Zelda.

When I told people to calm down because they might be wrong about the Zelda cliches...no one shut up. And when we got Twilight Princess...it was exactly as those fans feared. It was the same story structure and unsuprising hijacked by Ganon shenanigans that no one asked for. I defended it...but yeah, I was disappointed too that it felt so...uninspired. (Although I think Midna and Zant added a lot of unique aspects and I like TP a lot still)

If people want to start complaining at the first sight of a submissive, whiny Zelda and start fearing that the game will follow a similar track to other Zeldas when the fans explicitly didn't want that...well...that's not good!

I for one am hoping Nintendo was telling the truth this time about shaking things up better. Is Koizumi was here...none of the fans would have to beg for this, it would just happen because Koizumi was/is a great scenario writer/director.

LotusHD

Banned
Everyone worried about Zelda herself: please remember we saw another trailer where she clenches her fist in rage.

It's very possible that the disempowered Zelda we see in this trailer is where she begins. She clearly has caused a dramatic problem she didn't foresee and it stands to reason she will be motivated to fix it. Zelda may very well have a character arc that puts her in a much more flattering position.

At the end of the day, this is just not worth stressing over lol

Astral Dog

Well you would be weeny too if smoke Ganon destroyed your entire Kingdom again. Link doesn't count because he is mute.lets where this goes.

Debirudog

Zelda broke down in one scene.

one scene...

zeldablue

Zelda broke down in one scene.

one scene...

Lol. I think that scene was great! I was crying with her.

I'm just saying that if some people take that to mean the story is going to be something predictable...they should be allowed to grieve that. Just like the Zelda fans in 2005 who grieved over seeing the Master Sword.

It happens. And unfortunately they're usually right because Nintendo doesn't really think about story-telling like they used to with Koizumi.

Did Twilight Princess magically disappear from this timeline?

Looks like better lighting and slightly improved textures. But it overall seems pretty negligible. If the frame rate is not too drastic of a difference at this moment there is no need to get the Switch version.

zeldablue

Did Twilight Princess magically disappear from this timeline?

Zelda couldn't fit into the game because Midna sucked all the screen-time away from her. I would have been okay with Zelda not being in Twilight Princess and Midna just kind of...taking her spot as the main deuteragonist.

They don't need to put Zelda in every title. Sometimes she takes away from the characters that are actually interesting.

I don't think that will be the case here. I think Nintendo knows what they're doing.

Or Wind Waker and the other toon Link games. I do understand the criticism though.

Tetra in Phantom Hourglass tho...xD

I'm thinking I'm way late in telling you guys this, But Breath Of The Wilds composer has been confirmed.

Its Manaka Kataoka. She was the lead for Animal Crossing New Leaf and City Folks

Majmun

Not impressed by the graphics. Textures are really blurry, the af is bad. And I don't like the filter they're using.

But the artstyle is great.

Realeza

Banned
Looks like better lighting and slightly improved textures. But it overall seems pretty negligible. If the frame rate is not too drastic of a difference at this moment there is no need to get the Switch version.

There is a drastic difference in the frame rate if you compare the E3 stuff with the Jimmy Fallon footage.

Smellycat

Wow, that trailer was 4 minutes? I didn't even notice that the first time I watched it. There is no way I am watching it again, way too many spoilers

Just watched the castillain spanish dub for Zelda BotW.
Pretty amazing dub with great spanish voice actors, sound very similar to a Ghibli film dub actually (voice actors from Catalonia).

I think one of the voice actors is the usual voice actor of Ed Harris, and Zelda is maybe Nuria Trifol (it was my bet before they showed the trailer). Nuria Trifol would be super cool because I always thought it would be the perfect voice for Zelda, and her parody, princess bubblegum from adventure time, is also dubbed by her. She also the usual voice actress of Natalie Portman, so lots of high level voice acting.
The only meh voice is the old woman from the beggining, she is clealry a young voice trying to do and old woman voice.

That actually brighted my day after all the horrible news from the switch itself.
And I didnt like the english voices when i heard them, the japanese ones were much better, so happy I can hear it with a good voice acting in my language.

Leonsito

Oh my god, i was almost about to turn off the stream when they started to talk about Zelda, this is one of the best trailers ever, and the best Zelda one clearly.

That shot of Link riding the horse in the beach with that music HYPEEEEEEEE

PerkeyMan

I just can't belive that the old 4-chan Rihanna rumour was true. I wonder if she's a fan of the series or if it's just good old PR. Nevertheless, it's really cool that she has a small part in the game .

Rihanna.jpg

Astral Dog

Lemme tell you a tale. It was 2005 at the height of Twilight Princess's hype. Everyone was exploding with ideas about how different and awesome this title would be. Nintendo fed us with ideas that made us genuinely feel that this was going to be unique. Suddenly...someone noticed a picture of the Master Sword. Outrage poured out of most Zelda forums...why? Because when people saw the Master Sword...they knew exactly what that meant. It meant, get 3 thingies, get the MasterSword, kill Ganon(Dorf) and save Zelda.

When I told people to calm down because they might be wrong about the Zelda cliches...no one shut up. And when we got Twilight Princess...it was exactly as those fans feared. It was the same story structure and unsuprising hijacked by Ganon shenanigans that no one asked for. I defended it...but yeah, I was disappointed too that it felt so...uninspired. (Although I think Midna and Zant added a lot of unique aspects and I like TP a lot still)

If people want to start complaining at the first sight of a submissive, whiny Zelda and start fearing that the game will follow a similar track to other Zeldas when the fans explicitly didn't want that...well...that's not good!

I for one am hoping Nintendo was telling the truth this time about shaking things up better. Is Koizumi was here...none of the fans would have to beg for this, it would just happen because Koizumi was/is a great scenario writer/director.
Could go either way. I was very dissapointed with Twilight Princess too and how it treated its established characters but from what we have seen the return to basics BOTW is more or less what i wanted in a Zelda since TWW.

There is no Ganon hijacking because..he is the main threat. Everybody knows it,everybody is afraid of it and not some useless villain that looks like him or is secretly working for him. We will learn more about it as the game progresses.

Link is the most expressive he has ever been since Wind Waker. Not an emotionless doll like he was on TP for example. Where most focus was on Midna above all else.

The races are back. From Koroks to Gerudo and Gorons. Twilight Princess only had Zoras in a very small part.other games only focused on the Gorons so they could do something with them finally. New designs look cool.

And Zelda. so far she seems to be played like this tragic figure who lost her kingdom because she made mustakes. Is she going to be melodramatic? Yes .is she going to be rescued? Probably. but still she could do lots of awesome stuff and grow as a character to be strong enough to face Ganon for example .

It could be the worst Zelda plot in the end. But imo there are alot of things to be positive about in this one

Astral Dog

She's done a fantastic job from what we've heard so far

She also helped has helped with Zelda before. The last time she had a big lead role in Zelda was Spirit Tracks.

Her style is perfect for what they described back at E3.

I'm thinking I'm way late in telling you guys this, But Breath Of The Wilds composer has been confirmed.

Its Manaka Kataoka. She was the lead for Animal Crossing New Leaf and City Folks
Im happy they replaced the composer of SS . New music has sounded AMAZING so far :)
Spirit Tracks had a great soundtrack too

zeldablue

Could go either way. I was very dissapointed with Twilight Princess too and how it treated its established characters but from what we have seen the return to basics BOTW is more or less what i wanted in a Zelda since TWW.

There is no Ganon hijacking because..he is the main threat. Everybody knows it,everybody is afraid of it and not some useless villain that looks like him or is secretly working for him. We will learn more about it as the game progresses.

Link is the most expressive he has ever been since Wind Waker. Not an emotionless doll like he was on TP for example. Where most focus was on Midna above all else.

The races are back. From Koroks to Gerudo and Gorons. Twilight Princess only had Zoras in a very small part.other games only focused on the Gorons so they could do something with them finally. New designs look cool.

And Zelda. so far she seems to be played like this tragic figure who lost her kingdom because she made mustakes. Is she going to be melodramatic? Yes .is she going to be rescued? Probably. but still she could do lots of awesome stuff and grow as a character to be strong enough to face Ganon for example .

It could be the worst Zelda plot in the end. But imo there are alot of things to be positive about in this one

Well...

I completely agree and I am insanely hyped. So...

yeah.

Wow, this game would be so gorgeous if there weren't jaggies and shimmering everywhere.
It's a shame. But when i'm really into the gameplay i hopefully won't notice it so much.

Must have watched the trailer 7 times now. It's by far my most anticipated game for this year right now.

I just can't belive that the old 4-chan Rihanna rumour was true. I wonder if she's a fan of the series or if it's just good old PR. Nevertheless, it's really cool that she has a small part in the game .

Rihanna.jpg

Ehh.. that looks like Rihanna?
Well, i suppose... maybe a tiny bit. If you squeeze your eyes. Shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom