• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda delayed until 2017 citing quality, in development for both Wii U and NX

Fuck's sake Nintendo. I realise the game is probably going to be great, but why the fuck did they announce it so early?! It's going to be over 4 years since it was announced by the time it gets released.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And the Gamecube version was far better in that case too.

No...? The Wii version ran better, had widescreen support, had superior bow aiming and such, etc. Even the sword controls were kinda neat back then, even if they just amounted to simple waggle. The main thing the GCN version had going for it was that it wasn't mirrored, and I guess button sword controls if you really can't stand moving your hand a bit. There's no universe in which it was "far better".

Fuck's sake Nintendo. I realise the game is probably going to be great, but why the fuck did they announce it so early?! It's going to be over 4 years since it was announced by the time it gets released.

It changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the scope of the game shrank when the Wii u tanked, and thus potential returns on investment changed significantly. Then the NX version boosted the resources allocated to the game because it's revenue potential (and importance to a console launch) shot back up.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Somebody should edit Kimishima into this gif.

ocIV9it.gif

Woffls

They must have been making pretty big changes to at least one version of the game for it to be delayed by this length of time. I know Zelda always gets delayed, but I don't think it's usually by this much? Oh well, I'm sure it will be pretty good.

It's funny. Nintendo seems to always find a way to do worse than everyone's lowest expectations. That's why I'm lowering my expectations for NX to the floor. It's either just a handheld that connects to a TV, or an overclocked Wii U with a different controller. No, I don't believe LCGeek anymore.

Haha, yeah. Basically this.

People are always expecting the craziest shit from NIntendo, and then it's just every time the biggest letdown ever.

I think this even started with the N64. I remember seeing that "ULTRA 64" advertisement playing Killer Instinct in the arcades back in the mid nineties.

PtM

Banned
They must have been making pretty big changes to at least one version of the game for it to be delayed by this length of time. I know Zelda always gets delayed, but I don't think it's usually by this much? Oh well, I'm sure it will be pretty good.
Nope, they just delayed the NX. That's all there is to it.
The question was about the nx, not zelda.
My bad.

And you know what? All the NINTENDO fans will just lap it all up no matter what Nintendo do.

At least I can just go ahead and get a NEO now.

So I should throw a fit because of a mere 4 months? Calm down bro, 4 months isn't gonna turn me away from one of the best gaming franchises.

I think we can all guess why they simply say 2017 now. It's pretty much certain it is delayed for a NX launch, but if NX actually gets delayed, Zelda won't be because it was announced for 2017 all along.

I sure fucking hope that is the case.

PtM

Banned
I think we can all guess why they simply say 2017 now. It's pretty much certain it is delayed for a NX launch, but if NX actually gets delayed, Zelda won't be because it was announced for 2017 all along.

I sure fucking hope that is the case.
Why? It could mean Holidays 2017.

AzaK

Posts like this are really annoying. Like, are you even reading the posts in this thread or the other threads on the front page?

Absolutely. People are livid but just you wait.

So I should throw a fit because of a mere 4 months? Calm down bro, 4 months isn't gonna turn me away from one of the best gaming franchises.

There's a lot of people in all of these new NX threads bitching about how it's the end but they'll buy Zelda and NX when it comes. And it's more than 4 months really, it was promised a LONG time ago and then delayed and promised for 2016......and now 2017. And will you really get it on Wii U now, or NX?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Hey, look on the bright side, the last time we had to wait 6 years for a console Zelda game, we got Ocarina of Time.

Draeter

Banned
They are absolutely not going to have shit for the 30th anniversary, after 5 years since the last console Zelda, and after swearing that this was going to be a 2016 launch, after another delay from 2015

172636.gif

Why would the NX version affect the WiiU version release date?

I believe it might be so that it gives people a reason to purchase a NX. If both games are the same then people won't be hyped up for a port of a game they've played, as a launch title for the NX (assuming of course that the NX will have a Zelda game at launch).

The reason why Twilight Princess is on both GameCube and Wii is because of different control methods. Assuming the NX version of the game plays similarly to the Wii U version, I think that HUELEN10 is likely correct that this could indicate a lack of backwards compatibility.

Though oddly, this being the only game playable at E3 makes me really hyped for Zelda. It must be really, really big if they only want to show this in playable form when they have several other games they could show.

Ms.Galaxy

Oh, can that blooming quote, that's never been true and never will. It's all about who makes the game and how, not the time it takes to make it. While yes, more time is good for the dev and they shouldn't rush their game, it doesn't mean it will eventually be good.

And let's be perfectly frank, we all know what's really going on. They're pulling a Twilight Princess. The game is likely on the final stages of development and are delaying solely to get the NX version done in time for launch with some minor polishing. I refuse to believe its a "quality" issue, as it is more a marketing one.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The reason why Twilight Princess is on both GameCube and Wii is because of different control methods. Assuming the NX version of the game plays similarly to the Wii U version, I think that HUELEN10 is likely correct that this could indicate a lack of backwards compatibility.

Though oddly, this being the only game shown at E3 makes me really hyped for Zelda. It must be really, really big if they only want to show this in playable form when they have several other games they could show.
They better be walking to that mountain.

There's a lot of people in all of these new NX threads bitching about how it's the end but they'll buy Zelda and NX when it comes. And it's more than 4 months really, it was promised a LONG time ago and then delayed and promised for 2016......and now 2017. And will you really get it on Wii U now, or NX?
On NX, and you will be buying it too Azak so why do you like to fake like you are a tough guy? 🤔

Nintendo does what Nintendo always does, disappoint.

Wii U has been thrown under a bus.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version is held back until the NX has been released.

Flare

Oh, can that blooming quote, that's never been true and never will.

And let's perfectly frank, we all know what's really going on. They're pulling a Twilight Princess. The game is likely on the final stages of development and are delaying solely to get the NX version done in time for launch with some minor polishing. I refuse to believe its a "quality" issue, as it is more a marketing one.

Of course it's not. They know that releasing the Wii U version early would cannibalize NX version sales and so they delayed it.

Psydonk

I personally think something has gone very wrong with the NX. It's the only explanation of why there is a march release date (instead of a normal November/Holiday release date) and they are not showing it at E3. Nintendo usually shows their console well over a year out from it's release date but we still know nothing about and won't get anything about it at E3.

Doesn't bode well. There is no reason you would turn down all the huge amounts of free press at the worlds largest gaming media event unless something isn't right.

Also give PSNeo time to steal the thunder of the NX.

After the incredibly pissweak Wii U, which is, and I say this as a Nintendo fanboy, probably one of the worst mainstream consoles ever released, sitting next to the Sega Saturn, they really need something to regain the trust of people to make an investment in them, especially with how much a slap in the face last years E3 was.

Also not showing the NX version of Zelda is bizarre, why in hell wouldn't you show the game at the best it can be?

Again, screams something has gone wrong with the NX too me.

Ms.Galaxy

I personally think something has gone very wrong with the NX. It's the only explanation of why there is a march release date (instead of a normal November/Holiday release date) and they are not showing it at E3. Nintendo usually shows their console well over a year out from it's release date but we still know nothing about and won't get anything about it at E3.

Doesn't bode well. There is no reason you would turn down all the huge amounts of free press at the worlds largest gaming media event unless something isn't right.

Also give PSNeo time to steal the thunder of the NX.

After the incredibly pissweak Wii U, which is, and I say this as a Nintendo fanboy, probably one of the worst mainstream consoles ever released, sitting next to the Sega Saturn, they really need something to regain the trust of people to make an investment in them, especially with how much a slap in the face last years E3 was.

Also not showing the NX version of Zelda is bizarre, why in hell wouldn't you show the game at the best it can be?

Again, screams something has gone wrong with the NX too me.

I'm going to guess Iwata's death and the new guy taking charge might have something to do with it. The recent news is extremely bizarre, even for Nintendo.

bomma_man

i mean it sucks but you need to reassess your priorities in life if you chuck a tantrum over it. unless you've been given eight months to live or something it's not the end of the world. you'll still get to play zelda eventually.

Top Bottom