• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

It's sad that Nintendo must rely so heavily on recreating previous successes rather than forging new ones, and what's sadder is that I apparently do not care because I am still super excited for this game.

If we're not counting PH and ST, like many people apparently choose not to, Minish Cap came out nearly ten years ago. I think this might count as a retro revival instead of recreating old success.

Darryl

Banned
It's sad that Nintendo must rely so heavily on recreating previous successes rather than forging new ones, and what's sadder is that I apparently do not care because I am still super excited for this game.

it's a completely new concept wrapped in a coat of paint for old audiences. kinda like Mario 3D Land.

Neiteio

it's a completely new concept wrapped in a coat of paint for old audiences. kinda like Mario 3D Land.
Well-said. I mean, the puzzles and such clearly take on a new dimension (pun sort of intended) with the interplay between the wall mechanics, the height of platforms, etc. It is just styled in such a way to evoke the games of old.

Hylian7

Is that the silhouette of the "A" button I see on the bottom right of that pic? Looks like buttons are confirmed.

Since the 3D screen would be in use here, it would make almost no sense for it to be entirely touch screen based like PH/ST. Also I imagine the Circle Pad gives them the analog movement they need.

It's sad that Nintendo must rely so heavily on recreating previous successes rather than forging new ones

I don't get this. It's a new Zelda game. Just because it has ties to Link to the Past doesn't make it some kind of rehash. As far as I can recall, there's been a decent enough plea for a new Zelda game with the top down perspective, but the art is different and surely it will be an entirely different game with different dungeons and bosses. It may share the same overworld, but to what extent nobody knows yet, but I think people are assuming that this is some kind of easy project when it looks like an entirely new Zelda game.

Kokonoe

Banned
iLH60PLE96VG4.bmp

Delicious magic meter.

Kyzer

Banned
Look man, Im not gonna say it looks like N64, but everything looks like its made of Mii plastic. This was the same problem I had with NSMBU and the new Yoshis Island. Why Nintendo. Why.

How can anyone seriously be complaining it's not in 3D? It's a sequel to A Link to the Past for goodness sake. My only complaint is it doesn't look a little more like The Four Swords Adventure for the GC, which was an awesome title apart from the whole collect the force gems to progress gimmick.

Still, this looks to be an amazing title that will give people like me who loved ALTTP a great follow up experience.

Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword are all completely new takes on the franchise. This is the first top-down Zelda game since Minish Cap. I do not understand how Nintendo "rely so heavily on recreation" when this is the first time in Zelda history they've so blatantly nostalgia-baited. Besides the fact that this takes place in the LttP world and is clearly inspired by it, the use of 3D to help add depth to the dungeons and the wall-sifting mechanic are both clearly new. This is a new game with an old coat of paint, I do not understand these complaints.

duckroll

They just wanna rain on our parade.

There always a few who are never excited for anything unless it personally gives them a handjob.

I see it like that American Dad episode where Roger has to bitch or it turns into bile and rots his insides.

Look at these useless comments from insecure people who feel the need to "explain" to themselves why other people don't like what they do. They take it as a personal insult if there is negativity in a thread they feel should have none. :lol

Given that the last Zelda game I actually really enjoyed was The Minish Cap, I'm all for this return to top-down Zelda.

I can see why people might not be pleased with the aesthetic (it does look a little plasticy), but it's kinda awesome when it's in motion, imo.

I'd really like to see a new 3DS Zelda using the engine from OoT/MM, as well as a full-blown Wii U kickass Zelda, but this definitely scratches an itch, too. Looking forward to it.

Look man, Im not gonna say it looks like N64, but everything looks like its made of Mii plastic. This was the same problem I had with NSMBU and the new Yoshis Island. Why Nintendo. Why.

That's also what I feel. Everything looks so... Mii-ish to me. I would be happier if Lttp2 use art style from Minish Cap.

MisterHero

LttP was a return to Zelda 1 conventions after people complained about Zelda II. LttP wasn't 100% original either.

It didn't even have the best music or graphics that the SNES was capable of. It's still the hardest Zelda to me, though.

also: collision detection with the Stalfos looks weird as heck

M3z_

It's a sequel to one of the best Nintendo games of all time that came out over 20 years ago, it is clearly a attempt at mining nostalgia. Just because you and I are more than willing to bite and love it does not make it any less sad. I'm not saying it's not a going to be a terrific game, I absolutely want it to be just that. My favorite Zelda game is LTTP, but it remains sad that when Nintendo digs itself into a hole the only way they seem to be able to effectively try and climb out is by trying to re-invent the same core franchises and experiences. It would be nice if they made some new characters. It probably doesn't make business sense to do so, but that is sad as well.

XOMTOR

This is the first time I've been tempted to buy a 3DS, or any portable gaming system for that matter. Fuck my Nostalgia.

Same here. My last Nintendo machine was the GBA (been a Sony/PC gamer ever since) but this....this has me interested. Urge to dust off the old SNES and GBA rising.....

It's a sequel to one of the best Nintendo games of all time that came out over 20 years ago, it is clearly a attempt at mining nostalgia. Just because you and I are more than willing to bite and love it does not make it any less sad.

Why is appealing to nostalgia sad?

I want them to do this. It's not like many others can.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's also what I feel. Everything looks so... Mii-ish to me. I would be happier if Lttp2 use art style from Minish Cap.

When you say Mii-ish, I assume that refers to the Wii X titles.

I associate clean "photo realistic" textures wilth those games, which this game doesn't seem to sport at all.

Xun

Is it bad a long time Zelda fan isn't really hyped for this?

It looks OK, but it just doesn't have that pull like past games.

I think it's the camera angle. The top down view just looks nauseating and even a little outdated.

Now if they had it positioned the same way as Super Mario 3D Land, that would have been sick.
5zU1Cuu.jpg
Agreed with the last part.

The angle has always turned me off the top down games.

Mr E.

Watched the trailer again and noticed link was on floor 13, a record? This depth mechanic will add another layer to the puzzles.

Looking forward to carrying pots on my head again too.

AniHawk

a link to the past is not my favorite zelda game, but this looks fucking badass. it's been so god damn long since nintendo's made a traditional 2d zelda. i say, welcome back.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tumblr_mc3jpnDjjm1rta39t.gif

A Link to the Past is the finest game of them all. Certainly the most popular great game of all time. The most beloved. Its command of gameplay, the most magnificent. It transformed the pain of its development into ecstatic beauty. Pain is easy to portray but to use your passion and pain to portray the ecstasy and joy and magnificence of our world. No one had ever done it before. Perhaps no one ever will again. To my mind, that strange, wild game who roamed the shelves of the SNES section, was not only the world’s greatest game, but also one of the greatest things that has ever been made.

Not letting it go to waste.

Hsieh

It really looks like Nintendo started out making a Link to the Past remake, but decided to change things up a bit and instead decided to make a Master Quest for Link to the Past in 3D. It really does look like it's just going to be a Link to the Past with the same overworld and same bosses but new dungeons. Maybe they set expectations too high by calling it Link to the Past 2 and should have just called it Link to the Past: Master Quest.

MYE

Look at these useless comments from insecure people who feel the need to "explain" to themselves why other people don't like what they do. They take it as a personal insult if there is negativity in a thread they feel should have none. :lol

This post of yours is just as useless. Learn how to take a joke. :lol

You know what would be freaking amazing? If they had circle pad pro compatibility that would allow free camera movement. I don't care for top down gameplay, so that would be a godsend.

RagnarokX

After a short delay helping a narcoleptic flying whale, Link finally returns to Hyrule to find the land he once saved has become a giant crater. Hearing laughter behind him, Link turns around to see his friend, the bug-catching kid, with a mischievous grin on his face. Before Link can inquire about the scale model of Hyrule in the bottle the bug-catching kid is holding there is a blinding flash and Link blacks out. When he awakens, Link finds himself laying in front of his uncle's house. What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom