• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | New Trailer - Amiibo and Collector's Edition announced

MaestroMike

Gold Member
i am hyped to the max definitely day one purchase for me I already know this is a 10/10 game May 12 cannot come soon enough i just wanna sleep/hibernate the next 3 months so time passes by fast af and I can wake up to finally play this game let's go !! :messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

RCU005

I can wait, specially when we all know a better version will eventually come to the soon the be announced Nintendo next console.

Yeah, if the next Nintendo console doesn’t come out next year, it’s still very likely this game (maybe even BoTW too), will be one of the first to be ported to the new console. This time it’s going to be better to just wait a bit.

If I read good impressions from fans and critics alike about the story, new stuff and additions, etc. I might bite; but this is definitely not a preorder this time around.

Rodolink

This made me laugh:

bZrm5Vz_d.webp

I liked gathering and hunting food in the first game, but I'm all in for the farming now.
this gives me the shivers, if there going to add some sort of vehicle building mechanic like banjo kazooie nuts and bolts...

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I loved the first game but one of my main complaints was the lack of enemy variety. Besides some flying monsters I dont really see a lot of difference here. Really hope they are just saving new stuff and not putting it in the trailer.

Regginator

Obviously I didn't expect it to look like Elden Ring visually, considering the dated hardware of the Switch, but is this really all they could muster from a visual perspective? In 6 years time? Looks literally identical to BOTW. Image quality already was no more than serviceable back then, with the amazing art direction as its saving gace, but in 2023... Eh.

Gameplay wise it looks like a ton of fun! Like BOTW was, and somehow they look to have doubled down on that. Can't wait to fuck around again to see what shenanigans are possible.

mrmustard

Banned
Looks like all the other big AAA successors lately: More of the same
That said: Day one, because it's Zelda

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I feel like direct sequels by nature are going to suffer from this as we hit these tech walls.. I get it with Zelda though, Zelda has a history of drastic art style changes. seeing this one as it is, is disappointing... But it is exactly what I thought it would be 5 years ago.. I think it is just suffering from people seeing it as long in the tooth at this point.

It's not about the art style. I love the art style in BOTW and I'm happy to see it used again, although I would like to see it even better realized on less outdated hardware.

It's (for me) mainly about reusing the world. Again, I loved the world in BOTW, and reusing it (with some new stuff added on top) would have been fine in a MM-esque direct sequel 2-3 years after the original game, but SIX YEARS later? That's the amount of time that usually brings us a completely new Zelda with new everything and a brand new world to explore. They need to start showing what the hell they've been doing all this time. A few floating islands and BK vehicles ain't enough.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Obviously I didn't expect it to look like Elden Ring visually, considering the dated hardware of the Switch, but is this really all they could muster from a visual perspective? In 6 years time? Looks literally identical to BOTW. Image quality already was no more than serviceable back then, with the amazing art direction as its saving gace, but in 2023... Eh.

Gameplay wise it looks like a ton of fun! Like BOTW was, and somehow they look to have doubled down on that. Can't wait to fuck around again to see what shenanigans are possible.

That part specifically doesn't surprise me. The Switch didn't get any more powerful in those six years, and the original game was already pushing it. We need new hardware stat.

HofT

I'm surprised by these comments. Almost every scene showed something new while maintaining a mystery.

Yes it doesn't look as different and innovative as BotW was but I don't know how anyone expects that. This game is a direct sequel like GoW: Ragnarok. It's going to be familiar and different at the same time. Nothing wrong with that. That's the hype level/expectations and that trailer matched it.

I'm looking forward to play this soon

Last edited:

Crayon

Shit.

I still play botw. It's imo the best game, flat out. So if this is...

Ugh the sentiment is overwhelming, isn't it? Looks like a generous expansion at best. At. Best.

So even if it's that, I will still play the shit out of it but it will be a letdown. They have more to show so I'll try to chill.

Damn I was going to not watch that trailer to kind of stay blind but it started while I was doing something else. Part way through I was glad I watched it so I could adjust my expectations.

Robb

Gold Member
Almost every scene showed something new while maintaining a mystery.
That wasn’t really the issue for me. New stuff is great, and expected, but what I really want to know is if they’ve taken the criticism of the first game to heart or not.

Is there temples this time? More unique boss battles? Are breakable weapons in or out? etc. etc.

Nothing really changed for me with this trailer. That’s just my two cents though.

HofT

That wasn’t really the issue for me. New stuff is great, and expected, but what I really want to know is if they’ve taken the criticism of the first game to heart or not.

Is there temples this time? More unique boss battles? Are breakable weapons in or out? etc. etc.

Nothing really changed for me with this trailer. That’s just my two cents though.
They did show a few new enemy types but I definitely want more and I'm sure there will be. Can't spoil everything in a trailer.

The temple/shrines is still a mystery but I'd imagine something will replace the 120 shrines and 5 "dungeons" in the first. It'll be something that encourages exploration.

And I doubt the breakable weapons are out since it's part of the core gameplay.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Yeah, breakable weapons are certainly in since they're pulling the destroyed master sword shit again. It's a crappy mechanic but it lets them be lazy so I didn't expect them to let it go that easily.

Robb

Gold Member
And I doubt the breakable weapons are out since it's part of the core gameplay.
Same, and I wouldn’t mind if it’s still there. I thought it worked great in BotW.

I just want to know all these things for sure. Tbh Eiji Aonuma appearing and just confirming these changes alongside some bits of footage would have done more for me than this trailer.

Last edited:

HofT

I just want to know all these things for sure. Tbh Eiji Aonuma appearing and just confirming these changes alongside some bits of footage would have done more for me than this trailer.
I'm sure we will get a lot more in the next few months when it's very close to release.

But for now we still have to speculate and watch some more analysis vids to get an idea.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm sure we will get a lot more in the next few months when it's very close to release.

But for now we still have to speculate and watch some more analysis vids to get an idea.

I mean, seems to be overthinking some stuff, I think that hand with Zelda's is just Link's and he has some cool gauntlet thing on that you can see him with right after. Another vision where he sees himself in the past, then it goes back to the present and he's looking at his hand empty without Zelda.

Last edited:

Majukun

I'm in agreement with everyone, this wasn't a good trailer and to top it off on old ass hardware. I guess a little bit of me was hoping that there would be new revelations or hints of new hardware. The new Nintendo President doesn't seem to know what he's doing, doesn't have the visionary and risk taking of Iwata who had his misses but was brilliant when he was right. The Switch is now in its 7th year. Nintendo has never went more than 7 years between consoles.
Iwata was a one trick pony that squandered an incredible lead failing completely to read the market.
this being said, i'm no fan of current nnintendo, but it's hard to say it's not paying up for the, with the third place on total consoles sold ever and close to 1 bln games sold.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Iwata was a one trick pony that squandered an incredible lead failing completely to read the market.
this being said, i'm no fan of current nnintendo, but it's hard to say it's not paying up for the, with the third place on total consoles sold ever and close to 1 bln games sold.
Clueless, lol.

Surely at least two tricks with Wii and DS (as if one can just say it only took 2 actions to reach and maintain their success). And also turned around the initial lack of success for 3DS too taking hold of the situation.

Wasn't around to do the same for WiiU, but Switch is basically WiiU v1.5 anyway and a major success too. Did pretty good with the bad hands that were dealt to him with GC/GBA since he took over right after too.

And he fought cancer like a champ even if he lost so that was a big extra "trick" too. You're beneath him so you try to bring him down thinking he can't defeat you now he's dead but you'll never achieve anything.

Last edited:

Majukun

You mean the same enemies you keep seeing in almost every Zelda game? They rehash everything but the story.....well Zelda gets kidnapped like Peach so I guess they rehash that too. Put on a new outfit, add a combat gimmick and tadaaa.
series has returning enemies sure, but the roster is WAY bigger than what shown in botw...oot alone had more enemy variety than botw

Majukun

Clueless, lol.

Surely at least two tricks with Wii and DS (as if one can just say it only took 2 actions to reach and maintain their success). And also turned around the initial lack of success for 3DS too taking hold of the situation.

Wasn't around to do the same for WiiU, but Switch is basically WiiU v1.5 anyway and a major success too.
nintendo ds was born from Yamauchi's idea, not Iwata

and that's without considering that G&W were a thing before and were half of what the ds was (rest is touchscreen)

the lack of succes by the 3ds was caused by iwata and corrected with an huge price cut, not exactly 4d chess strategy

Last edited:

HofT

I mean, seems to be overthinking some stuff, I think that hand with Zelda's is just Link's and he has some cool gauntlet thing on that you can see him with right after. Another vision where he sees himself in the past, then it goes back to the present and he's looking at his hand empty without Zelda.
My guess is that this game will be grounded with what's currently going on whereas in BotW it was about discovering what did happen.

Majukun

Who was the person from yesterday who called it; That Nintendo would drop a trailer the very next day, the price of 69.99 USD was discovered on their website?
well it's the other way around, they planned to start preorders with the trailer but somebody fucked up and unveiled the eshop page a little earlier

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I'm surprised by these comments. Almost every scene showed something new while maintaining a mystery.

Yes it doesn't look as different and innovative as BotW was but I don't know how anyone expects that. This game is a direct sequel like GoW: Ragnarok. It's going to be familiar and different at the same time. Nothing wrong with that. That's the hype level/expectations and that trailer matched it.

I'm looking forward to play this soon
I think people are looking at it through eyes that have seen graphics go from PS4 to PS5, GTX 1080Ti to RTX 4090 in the same time period that Nintendo went from BotW to TotK on the same HW which is weaker than PS4.

Eotheod

Oh GAF never change, literally new mechanics, new enemies, new landscapes and it's instantly "this is shit no new gameplay bad game wow this took 20 years to make?!"
I think people are looking at it through eyes that have seen graphics go from PS4 to PS5, GTX 1080Ti to RTX 4090 in the same time period that Nintendo went from BotW to TotK on the same HW which is weaker than PS4.
Almost like a handheld system can not contain the same graphical prowess as a powerhouse console that doesn't have to rely on portable battery or size.

Last edited:

Tams

I'm also definitely going to be there on day one for this. And from the little they showed it looked great. I don't care that it comes across as more of the same as I loved BotW. It's definitely iterative rather than revolutionary though.

My biggest complaint is that the world still seems very empty. I know there's not a huge amount they can do with Switch hardware regarding that, but there are techniques to give the illusion of more happening.

Majukun

personally don't care at all about graphics, but with same map and systems from botw and 6 year of dev time i was expecting them to submerge us with new stuff...new elements for the chem system, dungeons, tons of new enemies and behaviors from them..maybe full towns now that ganon has been "defeated" and hyrule had a period of relative peace.

instead we got 1 new boss, 1 new common enemy, vehicles (that we kinda had with the dlc of botw and might be a double edge sword) and that is pretty much it.

we might still get some of that stuff, but why don't show off something at 3 months from release in the trailer that opens preorders?

HofT

Sure I get that (we all like new hardware) but at the same time logic needs to set in. This game has been known for a few years now and has been obviously always been developing on the Switch. That graphical expectation should be cemented in everyone.

Regardless, it still looks fantastic. The scale and scope of this game looks huge. And I think it's crazy to see how high in the world we'll be able to go.

ieUJdoG.jpg

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I kind of feel like zelda isn't the same anymore. I enjoyed breath of the wild but I want traditional zelda again. This trailer left me even more uninterested in the new open world style zelda. The music isn't the same either. It doesn't feel like zelda to me.
Breath of the Wild ironically was traditional Zelda. NES traditional Zelda. You probably can't see it though.

I think you just want another Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Breath of the Wild ironically was traditional Zelda. NES traditional Zelda. You probably can't see it though.

I think you just want another Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past.
I've seen that comparison a lot but I don't know man. Sure, both games are quite open at letting the player mess around and decide where to go next, but that's where te comparison ends.

Zelda NES still had dungeons and item based progression. That's gone in BOTW.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I've seen that comparison a lot but I don't know man. Sure, both games are quite open at letting the player mess around and decide where to go next, but that's where te comparison ends.

Zelda NES still had dungeons and item based progression. That's gone in BOTW.
You still acquire gear and items as you play through BotW. Dungeons are the Divine Beasts and ridiculous amount of shrines and discovering Caves throughout Hyrule as well as the Labyrinths to get the Barbarian Armor, Korok Forest and eventually Hyrule Castle. It just manifests in different ways. It was something new they were trying and I commend them for taking risks.

The reliance on weapon durability, stamina and food buffs was awful though.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You still acquire gear and items as you play through BotW. Dungeons are the Divine Beasts and ridiculous amount of shrines and discovering Caves throughout Hyrule as well as the Labyrinths to get the Barbarian Armor, Korok Forest and eventually Hyrule Castle. It just manifests in different ways. It was something new they were trying and I commend them for taking risks.

The reliance on weapon durability, stamina and food buffs was awful though.
I didn't mind the weapon durability, it was a nice excuse to keep trying out weapons instead of just sticking to your favorites. Food system overall was trash yeah, hope they improve on that for the sequel.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Another $60 for that collectors edition? A steelbook, 4 pins, and an artbook? Are you fucking high, Nintendo? I'm as big a Zelda fan as they come, but fuck outa here with that.

HofT

I didn't mind the weapon durability, it was a nice excuse to keep trying out weapons instead of just sticking to your favorites. Food system overall was trash yeah, hope they improve on that for the sequel.
Exactly, with most games I usually just stick with whatever armor/weapon stats that I like and just upgrade it till the end of the game. It's simple

Whereas BotW is different. The weapon durability system encourages exploration and forces using a variety of different weapons/armor which enhances different gameplay elements. It's much more nuanced and at the same time robust. But most importantly, I find it way more fun to play than just sticking with one set. It compliments the game very well and would be weird to take out.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Honestly the least hype trailer for a Zelda game I can remember

I'm sure there is way more to it but it really looks like DLC

Top Bottom